Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BELATED BIRTHDAY DINNER  (Read 13555 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: THE BELATED BIRTHDAY DINNER
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 07:49:08 AM »

I appreciate the theater reports, DR Kevin. Keep 'em comin'! I wish I could be in NYC for the Christmas season. I've spent several lovely holidays seasons in NYC during my younger yers.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2009, 07:49:19 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2009, 07:51:10 AM »

Woke up this morning to a ringing phone.  It was our neighbor calling to say that our road has been closed by the PA Department of Transportation due to the freezing rain which has basically shut down the surrounding area.  Too much ice.  It's not expected to get better any time soon. . .Miss Dixie Bell navigating her yard is an interesting site, she's quite cautious, but, she gets the job done.

Sounds like a good day to bake cookies

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2009, 07:52:49 AM »

Hello everyone-

I'm in New York, New York.  Saw Finian's Rainbow again yesterday--I got a $44 ticket TKTS--it was in the rear mezzanine, but not a bad seat!  I just love the show-I really can't wait for the CD to be released!

I saw Shrek the Musical later.  It's really a lot of fun--Christopher Sieber (sp?) is reason enought to see it--he's hilarious!

Today, I have a ticket for The Royal Family at 2 pm.  It's the last performance--it's supposed to be great-I'll let you know what I think!

THE ROYAL FAMILY was a complete delight. I'm sorry to hear it's closing. Rosemary Harris is a national treasure in my book.

I just love the play. Thank god for that wonderful archive DVD with that wonderful 1976 revival where Harris played the younger part and Ellis Rabb was an unforgettable Tony (and won a Tony for directing!).

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2009, 07:54:34 AM »

I've decided on some of my viewing for the day. I'm going to watch IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE this afternoon. TOnight, I'll get to HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE. Since the Potter film is so dark, I thought it'd look better in a fully darkened room. My home theater gets pretty dark even during the afternoon when I keep the blinds closed, but there will be much less light in there tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2009, 07:55:40 AM »

Tonight is the season finale of DEXTER, and the show is at such a critical juncture, I'll likely be on the edge of my seat for the entire episode. It's been a really great season for the show.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2009, 08:01:24 AM »

DR KevinH, you should post photos, particularly one of yourself large enough to form some idea of what you look like. I could meet a cheap impostor tonight claiming to be you and hitting me up for millions of dollars. I could lend a fortune to a crook.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2009, 08:05:34 AM »

I don't get to the Messages Boards very often, but I wanted to let everyone know that the new Broadway Radio Show is loaded and it's a very fun interview with Tina Maddigan.  Tina was the original Broadway Sophie in "Mamma Mia" and she has just released her first solo CD called "Inside Voice."   Check out the show and if you like what you hear, you can follow the link to Tina's website and purchase the CD -- we like to support our musical theatre talent!  Thanks  :-)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:09:35 AM by Donald »
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2009, 08:09:25 AM »

BK, I cannot believe you have never seen ZULU before!  One of the great adventure movies of all time and all true.  It may seem slow in the beginning, but they are carefully laying in and setting up all the background and exposition, so that once the action starts they're going Hell-Bent-Fer-Leather.  Great performances...particularly outstanding is Nigel Green as Colour-Sergeant Bourne.

If you like it...you might want to check out ZULU DAWN directed by Douglas Hickox (he who directed my HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES)...which tells the story of the massacre at Isandhlwana, which happened hours before the battle at Roarke's Drift.  Fascinating history, compellingly, dramatically told.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2009, 08:42:14 AM »

The morning has totally gotten away from me. I overslept this morning and have been playing catch-up ever since.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2009, 08:43:15 AM »

It's time for me to head downstairs and get lunch started. I plan to watch LAW & ORDER while I eat lunch. Then on to Bedford Falls with Jimmy and Donna.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 09:01:21 AM »

Well, I've vacuumed and put away a ton of books. Now I need to shut down the computer and deal with this lousy electric plug before I once again unplug the computer and printer and possibly lose lose work. As soon as Bach's "Christmas Oratorio" finishes playing in around another four minutes.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 09:03:20 AM »

Serves me right for writing the notes late - I meant to put the radio show info in there - had it written down right in front of my eyes.  Oh, well.  I'll put it into tomorrow's notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2009, 09:04:57 AM »

I just thought that high school precis of The Brain in seven minutes was sweet and fun.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2009, 09:05:42 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.  Sun is out (sort of) and the sky is blue (sort of), so maybe we're done with the rain.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2009, 09:32:18 AM »

Jrand, glad you love the CD.  And for many reasons, it's the release of the year for me, too, and not just because it's Kritzerland.   I was frankly baffled why more people here didn't go for this - can't just be because it's film music, as if that was a dirty word.  It's glorious music - gorgeous, tuneful, touching music by a composer that does have Broadway connections.  Well, those who did get it can revel in its beauty.

In a perfect world, BK, I would be first in line to order each and every Kritzerland release.  Unfortunately, sometimes mundane concerns like rent and food get in the way of my CD purchasing.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2009, 09:34:49 AM »

Jrand, glad you love the CD.  And for many reasons, it's the release of the year for me, too, and not just because it's Kritzerland.   I was frankly baffled why more people here didn't go for this - can't just be because it's film music, as if that was a dirty word.  It's glorious music - gorgeous, tuneful, touching music by a composer that does have Broadway connections.  Well, those who did get it can revel in its beauty.

In a perfect world, BK, I would be first in line to order each and every Kritzerland release.  Unfortunately, sometimes mundane concerns like rent and food get in the way of my CD purchasing.

I understand that, of course, but I think you know that is not what I'm talking about.  I understand when it's a financial issue - less so when it's not, and there are just folks who do not want "film music" here, which I find baffling sometimes, especially with music this beautiful. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:41:39 AM by bk »

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 09:36:37 AM »

Good morning.   The Sun was out.   Holiday music is on.

Waiting till this afternoon to listen to Love With The Proper Stranger/A Girl Named Tamiko, when I can turn the volume up.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2009, 09:41:44 AM »

Wonderful Brain From Planet X link, many congrats to them for winning 1st place.  Might just have to play that loud this afternoon also.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2009, 09:42:26 AM »

I was just about to think about jogging, but the sun went away and now it's looking a little gray out.

Sam

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2009, 09:47:10 AM »

Have a really good Sunday everyone.

Lots of VIBES  ;D and CONGRATS  ;D for all the posts (I lazily) spaced out on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2009, 09:47:33 AM »

Sam, you'll love the second of the next two titles - some of the loudest music ever - it will drive your neighbors crazzzzzzy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's a nice and lazy and rainy day here in New York City.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2009, 10:05:35 AM »

Jrand, glad you love the CD.  And for many reasons, it's the release of the year for me, too, and not just because it's Kritzerland.   I was frankly baffled why more people here didn't go for this - can't just be because it's film music, as if that was a dirty word.  It's glorious music - gorgeous, tuneful, touching music by a composer that does have Broadway connections.  Well, those who did get it can revel in its beauty.

I understand that, of course, but I think you know that is not what I'm talking about.  I understand when it's a financial issue - less so when it's not, and there are just folks who do not want "film music" here, which I find baffling sometimes, especially with music this beautiful. 

I like "film music" but I'm selective on what I'm buyng for three reasons:
  1. chances I'll ever write or orchestrate a film score are as good as my winning the lottery
  2. I have limited storage space
  3.  I'd rather purchase classical or show albums that are still awaiting CD release

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2009, 10:17:30 AM »

...Still lazy...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2009, 10:25:23 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

An interesting day here. BIG dark clouds, but I don't think it'll rain again. Blue skin and some sun, too.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:31:49 AM by Jeanne »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2009, 10:28:34 AM »

I, too, am feeling lazy--and sore. I loaded my car yesterday and brought the first load to DF&H#2's house. The rain didn't help the traffic. DF&H#2 will be helping me today, thankfully.  There's still more than will fit in my car.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2009, 10:31:28 AM »

I was invited to the LA Chamber Orchestra last night. It was pouring--AND very foggy. Plus, some small mudslides.  I'm glad I didn't have to drive. It was a nice concert.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »

Well some of us who DO love film music, and Elmer Bernstein in particular, and who DID order it, would like to have it DELIVERED.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2009, 12:22:34 PM »

vixmom, GREAT pics of the vixter and her beautiful plates of cookies!

thanks for the vibes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up