Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CORRECTIONS, FIXES, ADDITIONS, AND SUBTRACTIONS  (Read 21109 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: CORRECTIONS, FIXES, ADDITIONS, AND SUBTRACTIONS
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 07:07:13 AM »

And Elmer Gantry was in my mailbox yesterday, too.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2010, 07:11:53 AM »

No one's going to play the "Evaline McCook" game? I've got a sparkling prize waiting for the winner.

What game is that, DR Elmore?  I haven't seen you mention the song here for a while...

From Feb 5:

So, I have a new "Evaline McCook" game Here's the final verse that scans the music, if we assume that "switch" is the correct word:

When Miss Evaline McCook at the city took a look
       There on her a very pleasant lady smiled
       And she said to her, "My dear, will you hold this infant here
       Till I go and buy a biscuit for this child?"
       But Eva answered "Nix! Though such amateurish tricks
       Often catch the country bumpkin and beguile 'em,
       Your child I will not mind so run along and find
       Somebody else to act as an asylum!

Oh, she was a country girl
       Her switch was so full of hay
       But when she did not know the street, she always knew the way!
       Oh, she was a country girl
       But well did she know her book
       If in search of a jay you had best stay away from Evaline McCook!

Here's the original lyric Herbert was given before he requested alterations to fit his tune:

When Miss Evaline McCook at the city took a look, 
      A pocket book upon the street she spied;   
      The people passed it by: for ‘twas April fool, that's why   
      To take that pocket book nobody tried.   
      “Ah, an ancient trick like that,”   They remarked. “is quite too flat;   
      That purse is filled with nothing else but hay.”   
      Then up from the cold cold ground   Eva plucked the purse and found   
      The sum of twenty thousand dollars in it.

Here's the game: how would you rewrite this verse about the purse so that it scanned like the final version?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 07:12:21 AM »

DR MattH, yes i do watch the VAMPIRE DIARIES. And while its gotten a lot better it's still not one of my favs.

I thought I remembered that you watched it. Didn't know it wasn't a favorite. Thanks for the info.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 07:12:55 AM »

Broken leg wishes and crossed fingers for DR Ben's Ant.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 07:13:41 AM »

Good morning!

Very cold this morning (21) but I went on the walk anyway and enjoyed it. Another one of those cold but gorgeous days here. Ten degrres warmer would be preferable.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 07:16:25 AM »

I think the movie of GUYS AND DOLLS has a lot of lost opportunities, and they made a lot of boneheaded decisions about casting, song choices, etc. But it's nice to have Vivian Blaine's conception of Miss Adelaide on film (and Stubby Kaye's Nicely, too), and Jean Simmons makes a lovely Sarah. And the choreography of the original gets a nice filming.

But the direction, the two male stars, and that stagebound look and feel to the movie is just awful.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 07:17:10 AM »

Yes, I'd say MAME and GUYS AND DOLLS should be much more at the top of the list for a remake than DAMN YANKEES.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 07:18:12 AM »

I'll be working on HOWARDS END on DVD today, the last in a huge tower of disc review copies I've now come to the bottom of. And the movie is long, so most of the afternoon will be taken up with it.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 07:20:50 AM »

I read the results of the skating this morning, but that doesn't deter me a bit from looking forward to watching it at some point today. Anxious to see what went wrong with some of the favorites and what the others did right.

Laura

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 07:21:29 AM »

Broken leg vibes to Ant today!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 07:22:09 AM »

Thank you all for your congratulations. I'm sure all twenty people in attendance there were quite impressed.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 07:25:10 AM »

My question for ASK BK day.....

What original movie casting that didn't happen do you think would most have made a better film?

I will just start with Carroll Baker in THE THREE FACES OF EVE.

Joanne Woodward was sensational!
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 07:31:06 AM »

GUYS AND DOLLS may not have been perfect, but it's certainly entertaining.  I wish they hadn't cut one of my favorite songs from the original, "More I Cannot Wish You".

Rather than remake GUYS AND DOLLS, how about Hollywood filming some musicals that have never made it to the screen, like LES MISERABLES or RAGTIME?
You can dream…or you can do.

Laura

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 07:39:13 AM »

Interestingly, though, my friend Cho Schmetterling and I both dispelled the "fact" that monarch butterflies will not use asclepias subulata as a host plant.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »

I guess I'll do a little prep work for HOWARDS END (I must fish out my Blu-ray review from its secure place on a CD-R). Then I'll head down and get started on lunch preparation.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »

What original movie casting that didn't happen do you think would most have made a better film?

Joanne Woodward was sensational!

She was.   

As she was in virtually everything she did.

On the other hand, had Baker done the role, Deborah Kerr would have likely won the Oscar for her tremendous performance in "Heaven Knows, Mister Allison"!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:22:16 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2010, 08:02:32 AM »

Well DR DRUXY - Joanne's charm escapes me in most roles - HOWEVER the ONE scene in EVE when she was on the switchboard and changed personalities was great....most if not all of the other "changes" involved a camera cut and an edit....

And Joanne in a comedy is painful for me - i.e. A NEW KIND OF LOVE or RALLY ROUND THE FLAG BOYS!!

She rushed herself into middle age, and I like her Amanda in THE GLASS MENAGERIE.

But my three favorite Woodward performances are THE LONG HOT SUMMER, THE FUGITIVE KIND, and most of all FROM THE TERRACE.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2010, 08:08:33 AM »

Last night, around 9:30 pm, my mom called to tell me that her TV went kaplooee! I ran over to her apartment and checked it out and indeed it seems to be no more. It is only 4 years old, one would think it should last a bit longer, but alas.... So tonight, after dinner and grocery shopping we will stop at Best Buy and see what they have to offer. I suspect that mom will also need a new TV stand, as her current one will not likely hold the widescreen TVs that they make now.

Assisting a stubborn, 81 year old in a major electronics purchase is going to require major praying for Rosemary's Baby.

Ben

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2010, 08:14:34 AM »

Good Luck on your mother's television purchase!

Our television is from 2000 and I plan on keeping it as long as it continues to work. Even though it's a behemoth, compared to the flat screens out today I'm not willing to spend the money for a new set when this works fine.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2010, 08:17:01 AM »

Last night's short program for the men:

First of all, Evgeny Plushenko showed us nothing new.   Using Sandra Bezic's favorite word, he hauled out all the "tricks" (postures/poses) he was known for four years ago and strung them together in a program that had no real connective tissue...except for Plushi's force-of-will and the flailings of arms for which the Russian men (and in the case of Irina Slutskaya, women) are noted .  His jumps were superb, but he's not going to win the free skate on jumps alone.  Having made a huge fuss earlier in the week about where he was placed in the flow of skaters, he is extremely fortunate he was scored as well as he was, IMO.  (That latter bit -- IMO -- is the key, of course).  He commands the ice, but in the free skate he's going to have to do more than that.

Evan Lysacek skated better than I have ever seen him skate.  Period.  I'm still not a big fan...I think he looks awkward more often than not....and he appears to flail his arms, as well...but it could be it looks that way because he is tall and that his arms are very long.

Jeremy Abbott has proved, with last night's performance, that he is a poor bet to perfrom well at international events AFTER he wins the national title.   Last year, he bombed at the world's (and thank goodness Evan Lysacek was there to win it all and preserve the U.S.'s three spots for this year's Olympics).  Whatever nationals brings out in Abbott, the World's and Olympics apparently suppress.  He looked ashen last night....earlier shots of him walking around showed a young man who looked a bit uncertain, a bit pouty, possibly not, but that's how he looked.  As for his program, it resembled nothing like the one he skated at nationals.  It hurt to watch it...and it went on forEVER.

Poor Brian Joubert!  There's a story in there, but we'll probably never read about it.

I haven't caught up here over the past couple of days, but I am aghast that no one in the media has commented upon the Russian pairs skater Alexander Smirnoff.   No, not even Scott Hamilton who should have immediately seen what I "think" I saw....that Smirnoff brings to mind Peter Carruthers when he's on ice....the height, the build, the presentation of his partner and the smile.  The first time I saw him skate I had a flashback to Sarajevo in 1984 (no, I wasn't there...only watched it on TV).  For those who don't know, Kitty and Peter Carruthers were a brother-sister pairs team in the early 1980s.  Both of them were adopted, raised as brother and sister, and taught to skate.   They went to the Sarajevo Olympics in 1984 as an "outside" possibility to stand on the medals podium (likely in the Bronze position).  What they did, though, was win a Silver Medal with the best free skate of the competition (again, IMO).  They were superb, and better than their over-scored (as always during those years of Eastern bloc stranglehold on figure skating judging) Russian competitors.    Other favorites that year were the wonderful Canadian team of Barbara Underhill and Paul Martini.  They fared poorly at the Olympics, after which Barbara complained that her new skates just wouldn't "be" broken in.  Fellow Canadian Brian Orser (who won the Silver in men's figure skating) asked her why she hadn't worn her old boots!!!  She did at World's...and Underhill/Martini won the world championship after the Olympics (the Russians had retired, though, after the Olympics).

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:20:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »

It must be appliance death week or something.  Our dryer gave up the ghost yesterday.  The funny thing is we got a new washer/dryer which came with the new house, but we aren't really moving over there for at least a month or two, so I think we'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new element for this one here.

JR's prediction yesterday was correct--a veritable inundation of readers to my Farmer article.  So far, no crazy emails!  ;)  Though I did get an interesting request for an Aqabala CD, which kind of surprised me.  Aqabala was my jazz group that was feted in Jazziz Magazine many years ago, didn't know anyone still knew and/or cared about it.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2010, 08:47:06 AM »

It must be appliance death week or something.  Our dryer gave up the ghost yesterday.  The funny thing is we got a new washer/dryer which came with the new house, but we aren't really moving over there for at least a month or two, so I think we'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new element for this one here.

JR's prediction yesterday was correct--a veritable inundation of readers to my Farmer article.  So far, no crazy emails!  ;)  Though I did get an interesting request for an Aqabala CD, which kind of surprised me.  Aqabala was my jazz group that was feted in Jazziz Magazine many years ago, didn't know anyone still knew and/or cared about it.

Then you should relish this singular request.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2010, 08:55:16 AM »

DR Jane there were 2 chinese pairs as DR Cilla said. So you have to watch all the way through to see who was 2nd!

Actually, there were three Chinese pairs.  The Gold Medalists -- Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, the Silver Medalists -- Pang Qing and Tong Jian and the fifth-place finishers (who won Silver in Torino in 2006) -- Zhao Dan and Zhao Hao.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2010, 09:04:17 AM »

ASK BK

The two plays you recorded (Beyond Therapy and Copenhagen)....

Did the actors perform then in the studio as there were done on stage or did they just stand in front of a mic? If it was the latter how did you decide where to place their voices on the recording

Actors at mics - for Copenhagen we placed them arbitrarily - for Beyond Therapy we had more fun with placement.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »

Certainly Peter Sellers in Kiss Me, Stupid.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2010, 09:08:26 AM »

The problem with remaking Guys and Dolls today is, of course, the casting.  I think Hugh Jackman was mentioned (as he's always mentioned for everything) as Sky, and he'd be fine.  Everyone seems to like Anne Hathaway, so maybe she could be Sarah. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2010, 09:08:47 AM »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....yes......he would have made all the difference.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 09:09:55 AM »

I also want to add Lucille Ball as Mrs. Iselin in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE.  Her days in I LOVE LUCY were a couple of years behind her, she had done a movie or two....and her LUCY SHOW, etc.....had not yet been burned into the public's brain yet.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 09:11:15 AM »

Hmmmmm....I found a couple of Isabel Bloom angel figures at the Goodwill yesterday for 99 cents each and bought them.  They are signed and worth from $20 - $50 to collectors.

It was a good Goodwill day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up