Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MACARONI AND CHEESE NOTES  (Read 47765 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THE MACARONI AND CHEESE NOTES
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2004, 09:35:53 AM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2004, 09:45:55 AM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.  Come strut your stuff, we won't bite.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2004, 09:49:09 AM »

Hey Maya, can you post part of the article. Or email it to those who are interested. It's a pain to register just to read one article. :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2004, 09:52:01 AM »

Yes, I was going to say that - we want YOUR part of the review because you're who we care about.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

I wonder if they'll have macaroni and cheese wherever I'm lunching.  Of course, I haven't heard from my lunch partner so maybe I'm NOT lunching.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2004, 09:52:26 AM »

I do, of course, have to make up for lack of posts yesterday when I couldn't get online.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2004, 09:52:53 AM »

And I do have to have a posting frenzy because I have no idea how long I'll remain online.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2004, 09:53:44 AM »

I, too, liked Kirsten Dunst in the bit I saw of The Cat's Meow, but I just thought it was badly made and written.  Interesting story, though, and I'm glad you liked it.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2004, 09:54:12 AM »

Well, so far I'm able to get online this morning, so that much is good.

This whole week the mornings have been very light, and yesterday we barely squeaked by without achieving a new all-time low - I mean squeaked by by one post.  Is everyone on vacation?  There are a few regulars who I notice are almost never here anymore - too bad, really.  But we shall carry on, oh, yes, we shall carry on.  

The fun folks are the ones who are still here!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2004, 09:55:59 AM »

I totally agree.  I agree totally.  Totally agree I.  Totally I agree.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2004, 09:56:03 AM »

We just got a security alert that the infamous Fred Phelps and his band from the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka Kansas will be protesting same-sex marriage out in from of my work (Justice Bldg/Supreme Court Bldg) on Monday. Lovely.

I wouldn't worry much, Mike.  A few months ago they were protesting here on the Island of Long.  A high school football team was much in the news when it was found that the older players were hazing the rookies with what the press described as "sexual torture"--well, details would be inappropriate here.  Phelps claimed this happened because the school had a Gay Straight Alliance--absurd, since the perpetrators were probably, if anything, homophobic, and their purpose was to degrade.

Howsomever, the much-ballyhooed Phelps protest consisted of fewer than 10 individuals, all of whom were members of his immediate family!  The counter-protest was much larger. as probably was the press contingent.

Conservative Christians on my favorite yahoo (the animal, not the search engine) web site often accuse Phelps of being hired by the "Homosexual Activists" to make Christians look bad.  And you must admit, the media would often prefer to cover a nut job than someone who actually poses a reasonable argument--on any issue!  (Proof in point:  they ask George W. Bush about international affairs.  :-\  )
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2004, 09:57:45 AM »

Dear BK:

Did you see this review in today's L.A. Times?

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/jazz/cl-et-heckman16apr16,2,6194900.story?coll=cl-music-features

You best hie your butt cheeks pronto to the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.  You only have tonight and tomorrow evening remaining to do so!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2004, 09:57:59 AM »

I'll be very interested to see what's actually causing the Adelphia problem.  They SWEAR it's not their server, so it's either the actual modem box or something on the line outside the house.  I shall have a full report for you.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2004, 09:59:57 AM »

Anyone see the Apprentice Finale?  

Yes.  While I liked the first hour that showed Bill and Kwame managing their tasks, the second hour seemed kind of anti-clamatic, including Trump's "You're Hired" to Bill.  Trump clearly didn't ahve any idea how to host this post-show wrap-up.  I've never seen a bigger stiff reading from cue cards.  Someone with more finess would have gotten more out of Troy, Omarosa, Ereka, Amy and Nick.  Trump just seemed to think it was enough to jsut give them a little air time.  The one worth-while moment was Heidi intorducing her mom and saying that she was doing fine.

I am also stunned to see that Omarosa was not a mole and that she has indeed been acting out of her own doing.  Add me to the list of people who thinks she is a self-deluded, lying witch.

I think Trump picked the wrong guy.  True, Bill's golf tourney went off relatively hitch-free.  But the guy was all over the place, checking and double-checking and re-checking the efforts his three (actually four) people who he should have known he could rely on.  Kwame's Jessica Simpson event, on the other hand, had many bumps (Omarosa), most caused by his own people (Omarosa).  And yet through it all, he calmly evaluated each problem, quickly resolved it, and moved on.  And in the end, his event also was completed succesfully.  That's what I call a winning management style.  Unless Bill learns to do likewise, I see him and his staff developing ulcers in the coming years.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2004, 10:02:29 AM »

Last night, they kept saying "You'll be home in time for The Apprentice".  I had no idea what they were talking about.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2004, 10:03:17 AM »

I'm still online.  Amazing.  I tell you, if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was THEM not me.  But it's probably a problem with the modem box.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2004, 10:03:57 AM »

We just got a security alert that the infamous Fred Phelps and his band from the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka Kansas will be protesting same-sex marriage out in from of my work (Justice Bldg/Supreme Court Bldg) on Monday. Lovely.

I wouldn't worry much, Mike.  A few months ago they were protesting here on the Island of Long.  A high school football team was much in the news when it was found that the older players were hazing the rookies with what the press described as "sexual torture"--well, details would be inappropriate here.  Phelps claimed this happened because the school had a Gay Straight Alliance--absurd, since the perpetrators were probably, if anything, homophobic, and their purpose was to degrade.

Howsomever, the much-ballyhooed Phelps protest consisted of fewer than 10 individuals, all of whom were members of his immediate family!  The counter-protest was much larger. as probably was the press contingent.

Conservative Christians on my favorite yahoo (the animal, not the search engine) web site often accuse Phelps of being hired by the "Homosexual Activists" to make Christians look bad.  And you must admit, the media would often prefer to cover a nut job than someone who actually poses a reasonable argument--on any issue!  (Proof in point:  they ask George W. Bush about international affairs.  :-\  )
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2004, 10:05:57 AM »

William F. Orr, aren't you being redundant?  Am I seeing double?  Are there two count them two William F. Orrs?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2004, 10:08:20 AM »

So far the reviews for Melissa Errico in FINIAN'S RAINBOW have been wonderful.  I'm glad I ordered tickets early because it should sell out.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2004, 10:11:52 AM »

In the words of Mr. Stephen Sondheim - I'm still here.  But for now I'm going to do a little book work, then, if I'm able, I shall return, like General MacArthur.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2004, 10:17:19 AM »

If you aren’t familiar with this group their website is www.godhatesfags.com
That should tell you all you need to know! I am gonna need some extra strong coffee for Monday morning I think! LOL!

When Michael Moore had his weekly TV show, he did a piece on these nuts.  In it, he recruited about 25 gay men, loaded them into a pink bus, drove to wherever Phelps and his followers were protesting (usually parking right next to their picket lines), and then had the guys proceed to (*ahem*) make whoopee.  Make whoopee hard.  Make whoopee hard and loud, with the bus windows open.  The pink bus was a-rockin' an' a-rollin' on its axles.  The looks on the faces of Phelps' nuts were priceless.  I was laughing so hard that I had tears in my eyes.  

(Note to self:  pick up Michael Moore's series on DVD this weekend...)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2004, 10:28:33 AM »

td - I thought I responded to THE APPLE post, but I must have dreamed it.  I can only hope that this is a STEREO release so that we can at last hear the songs the way they were heard in the Egyptian Theatre, before the audience tossed their free soundtrack LP's through the screen!

http://www.jabootu.com/acolytes/bnotes/apple.htm

If you are not familiar with the movie, please click on the above link to be enlightened, and know that THE APPLE makes XANADU look like AN AMERICAN IN PARIS!

In the VCR - Lana Turner & Edmund Purdom in THE PRODIGAL.

In the CD - THE BEST OF ANN-MARGRET

In the DVD - JOURNEY TO THE SEVENTH PLANET....or a trip to Uranus.

My new job does not start until May and so I am somewhat adrift....not wanting to spend a LOT of money because of not knowing how long what I have will really have to last, so I don't get the HHW as early as I used to.....perhaps when commerce starts up again for me, I will be back on schedule.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2004, 10:30:59 AM »

William F. Orr, aren't you being redundant?  Am I seeing double?  Are there two count them two William F. Orrs?

That must be my evil twin.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2004, 10:31:44 AM »

That must be my evil twin.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2004, 10:32:42 AM »

Those must be my evil triplets.
--Wayland Flowers

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2004, 10:34:11 AM »

Media Alert

CD in Car - Carpenters 35th Anniversary
DVD (at Eric's, I'm never home!) - Alias - Season 1

I'm either in the car or at Eric's, so there you have it.

Mac and Cheese sounds really good today.  It's rather ugly here in the SF Bay Area.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2004, 10:37:15 AM »

I'll be very interested to see what's actually causing the Adelphia problem.  They SWEAR it's not their server, so it's either the actual modem box or something on the line outside the house.  I shall have a full report for you.

Maybe it's THE SPIES!!!  I was never paranoid, but I know there's a cosmic plan to get us all.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2004, 10:42:28 AM »

Thanks, MBarnum, and sure thing!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10205-2004Apr14.html

Maya, congrats to you!  I love the show, but I think it's hard to pull off.   I hope it goes well at Goodspeed this summer.  You should be pleased, though!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2004, 10:55:13 AM »

As one of the fun crowd around here, I feel it my duty to post. I've just come back from the Post Office. (A post about Post!) It was almost empty, except for the usual very strange suspects both behind and in front of the counter.
Wasn't that just TOO much fun to read about? Now I'm going to write. Please try and contain your excitement. I'll be back later with more fun reports of my fun day.  8)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2004, 10:55:49 AM »

Did somebody mention High Spirits?  I believe there's a production of that now playing in New York.

But I didn't even hear of a production of The Most Happy Fella...  Where is it?

A painter is here, and I'll be very surprised if he finishes before May (he started in March) - dropcloths over everything, including the media...

CD player has a BBC compilation of Big Bad
Tenacious D
Superman - Original Broadway Cast

VCR has Wednesday's Law & Order.  Who, I wonder, were the two singers?

As Carmines fans must have guessed, the free show Thursday will be at the Promenade, on Broadway in the 70's.  I'm in rehearsal for it fairly constantly, hence the low post quantity.  It's also a seven-day period with seven improv things: two jams, two classes, three shows.  And, three mornings in a row, I'm with some Broadway dancer teaching kids a song and dance from some Broadway show.  Today's had never heard of Sodom and Gommorrah.  (I try to get them to understand the lyric they're singing.)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2004, 11:09:06 AM »

Well, here's the part that directly concerns me!

"Buckles is nicely spirited as Amy, putting zing into her duet with Bartosavage, "Make a Miracle," and the comic aria, "The Woman in His Room," while Worcester and Cantu (me, lol) cultivate amiable chemistry as the other young couple, Jack and Kitty."

And thanks so much Elmore!  Toscano says this about the show:

"This is a campy show and needs to be performed with tongue-in-cheek irony for modern audiences. The Woodbridge troupe, however, relies on the dialogue for laughs rather than generating a cheeky attitude, losing much of the play's charm."

I'm not sure I agree 100%.  I mean, in places there should be a bit of wink-wink-nudge-nudge, but I think you sometimes LOSE comedy when you play it too "cheekily" or "ironically."  It's hard to take a show like "Where's Charley?" seriously, yes, but what's wrong with being sincere and looking for laughs within the dialogue?  It's not like George Abbott was a slouch at funny lines.

With all this talk of Frank Loesser, I really want to get up to Arena Stage and see his posthumous musical "Senor Discretion Himself."  (Are you planning to, Noel?  I know what a fan you are).  But I'm going to NYC next month and will be spending A LOT of money on theatre and just don't know if I can afford it right now.  Le sigh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up