Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KIMMEL ON KINDLE  (Read 21505 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
KIMMEL ON KINDLE
« on: February 23, 2010, 12:06:07 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were not on Kindle, and now it is time for you to post until the cows on Kindle come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: KIMMEL ON KINDLE
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:07:01 AM »

And the word of the day is: LOGOMACHY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:07:44 AM »

If for some reason you skipped the notes, the title of the new book is revealed therein. 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »

BK, I like the book title very much. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 12:26:14 AM »

And a Very Happy Birthday to DR Druxy!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:49:40 AM »

Well...last night was quite eventful...and not in the good way. :-\ My niece called me in a total panic saying, "There's flooding in our house!!" :o She said that water was coming down from the light fixtures in the ceiling into the kitchen (my sister has a two-story house) and some water was going out into the garage!!  I rushed over, but fortunately, Larry (my sister's boyfriend) had gotten there before I did and was able to turn off the main water valve.  It turns out that some pipe burst inside upstairs!  My niece said that she would hear noise whenever she ran the water in her bathroom upstairs.  My sister has been trying to get a hold of the builder for several weeks.  She even sent a certified letter, but somehow it wasn't sent properly and it came back.  The builder used to live next door (and the two houses are almost identical) and is supposed to have a contract to fix anything in my sister's house for a year, which is not up yet.  Anyway, she had me go to Ross to get some inexpensive towels, and I also got some actual Sham-Wow things from our parents.  We got most of the water from the downstairs floor (which fortunately is concrete...no carpet!) pretty much dry, but who knows what the walls and the ceiling are going to be like.  She was able to call a plumber who will come first thing in the morning.  The only other consolation (along with the concrete floor) is that she just got her income tax refund, so she'll be able to use that money to fix things up.  However, I'm sure she wanted that for other things, but shit happens. :P

George

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 01:19:39 AM »

Of course, it's nothing like what Danise has been through, but it's certainly traumatic.  And the other not-so-good news is that the guy has been trying to sell his house next door since last year and it's now in foreclosure.  Not a good thing for my sister.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 02:21:27 AM »

Ooohh...vibes to your sister, George. Being on my 3rd old house, I feel her pain. After all the September rains, part of our house is sinking.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 02:22:27 AM »

I hope the builder makes good on his 1 year coverage!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 02:28:11 AM »

I've never seen a Kindle, but there's something nice about holding a book and I sometimes chose books based on the cover design. If I see it in a store, and it grabs my eye, I'll read the back, and then flip through and decide if I want to buy. I love browsing in bookstores. The downside is, I buy a lot of books I never get around to reading.

Since I do end up reading a lot from the computer, maybe I would like the Kindle, but I like to carry a book around with me and I would probably worry about the Kindle disappearing or leaving it somewhere...much less of a financial loss with a book.

Plus, what do you do at book signings if someone buys the book on Kindle?  :)

Ben

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 02:44:07 AM »

I don't have a Kindle or an electronic book reader. I don't plan on getting one. If they do replace books I don't think they will do it in my lifetime. I know DAW has a Kindle and loves it but they are just not for me. As Amy said, I don't want to drop or lose it. It costs almost $300!!! And then there is the issue of Digital Rights Management. They are slowly changing things but right now for the most part, unless you loan your Kindle to a friend you can't loan them the book.

I'll stick with hard copies.

Laura

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 03:36:18 AM »

That's awful about the burst pipe, George. How in the world could that happen on a new house? Didn't they use copper?

Laura

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 03:38:27 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday, DR Druxy!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 05:02:05 AM »

Good morning, all! Today is another day with the McGlinnventory. I have discovered to my dismay that I have mislaid or accidentally tossed out my envelope of 2009 receipts for taxis, buses and subways. Since it's around $1800 worth of receipts, I am very unhappy. I went to my 2008 tax files and found last year's amount - $1831 - and I guess I will use it again this year, although I'm sure it's higher for 2009, given that taxis had added a $0.50 charge for every ride; this was sneaked onto the fare to help defray the crooked MTA's claims of being unable to pay for public transportation without raising the fees so we're now being taxed and charged .50 per taxi ride, and the MTA asses still can't cover their costs! Someone needs a takeover.

So, after the McGlinnventory, I have to stop by Toyland for a second to drop off some things. Following that, I will return here to finish up my tax tallies.

As to kindles, my friend Cathie has one, but I'm sticking to books. Devices break, run out of power, etc., but I can tote a book around with only the fear of dropping it onto a subway tracks (lost two books that way) or breaking a spine.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 05:06:17 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 05:03:24 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Up early again after staying up too late last night watching skating (loved the results!).  I have to take my mother to an orthopedist today to see about her back.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 05:04:05 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Druxy!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 05:05:11 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday, DR Druxy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 05:07:21 AM »

TOD - as much as I like electronic communications, I just can't get excited about using technology for reading.  I'm not in any hurry to have a Kindle and haven't even taken the time to figure out how to download books from the library.  That said, I am thrilled for BK that his books will be available to readers who do use that format!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 05:07:56 AM »

And the word of the day is: LOGOMACHY!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  WHY CAN'T THE ENGLISH?

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 05:08:44 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR DRUXY

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 05:22:10 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR DRUXY!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 05:22:57 AM »

I like the book title very much!  It tells you exactly what you are going to get - but is intriguing as well.......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 05:23:11 AM »

Sorry to hear of your sister's troubles, DR GEORGE....most distressing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 05:23:51 AM »

I don't own a Kindle.  It is the wave of the future, I am sure, but I am hoping it is NOT the wave of MY future.  Time will tell, as Joan Crawford used to say when she didn't want to answer a question.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 05:24:21 AM »

Congrats to Kimmel on Kindle, however, I am sure a whole new market will open up.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 05:25:19 AM »

I must spend ALL DAY today learning THRILLER because tonight is our group rehearsal followed by an individual rehearsal at the venue.....the Dixie Chopper Auditorium, which is an airplane hanger east of town.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 05:25:41 AM »

If I think of it, I will take my camera to get some more pictures of said participants!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 05:32:16 AM »

! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR DRUXY  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 05:50:29 AM »

Happy Birthday To DR Druxy!

Ben

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 05:51:02 AM »

Happy DruxyDay!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up