Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: KIMMEL ON KINDLE  (Read 21736 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: KIMMEL ON KINDLE
« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »

I then watched LOST. Lots of surprises, new characters (I'm sure bk will have something to say about that), and new locales (that, too).

As usual, I enjoyed the ride.

And I now see that the two sides are recruiting for their cause. Smokey has Claire and Sawyer now. Looks like Jacob has Hurley and is trying for Jack. Don't know where it's going, but it sure is interesting.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #211 on: February 23, 2010, 07:25:57 PM »

Page Eight Dance!!!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »

I go back and forth on the Kindle.  I have looked at other "readers" in stores and while I think they are cool. But, after spending a good portion of the day looking at computers for work and enjoyment, I like reading off of paper.   I also can see getting to the best part of a book and having the batteries die.  THat would be my luck

You don't have batteries.  You charge it like a cell phone.  I only need to charge my Kindle maybe once a week, and it only takes about a half hour.  And yes, I can continue to read while it is charging.

lol, i'm thinking how often my cell phone charge as almost run out & i've had to turn it off.  How many hours of reading do you do in a week?  On a sleepless night i can read for 5-6 hours.

DR Jane - The Kindle's battery life varies according to usage and whether or not you have the "whispernet" activated. If you just use the Kindle as a "reader" - and not a "downloader", the battery can last anywhere from 30-60 hours depending how many page turns and images you display.

Thanks, that is a lot of hours.  I'm still waiting for the version with night reading capabilities.

Cillaliz

« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »

Vibes to DR Elmore's Uncle Bob~~~~~~

Matt H.

« Reply #214 on: February 23, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »

During the LOST commercial breaks, I flipped over to the Olympics (also over-the-air-HD), and I happened to see the first little bit or Marei Nagasu's skate. Saw her land her combination perfectly. When I flipped back later, they mentioned she had done a very good job, but I didn't see the rest of the program or the results. I'll read about them tomorrow morning and catch up with the skating later.

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: February 23, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #216 on: February 23, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »

I go back and forth on the Kindle.  I have looked at other "readers" in stores and while I think they are cool. But, after spending a good portion of the day looking at computers for work and enjoyment, I like reading off of paper.   I also can see getting to the best part of a book and having the batteries die.  THat would be my luck

You don't have batteries.  You charge it like a cell phone.  I only need to charge my Kindle maybe once a week, and it only takes about a half hour.  And yes, I can continue to read while it is charging.

lol, i'm thinking how often my cell phone charge as almost run out & i've had to turn it off.  How many hours of reading do you do in a week?  On a sleepless night i can read for 5-6 hours.

I ususally read an hour and a half to two hours a night.  Like I said you can charge it and read at the same time.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #217 on: February 23, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »

So for the ice dancing last night, none of you guys would cheer for the US pair to win if you liked another team's performance better?

Maybe it's because we don't have that many gold medalists here.  But it is a huge deal for us to be going for a gold medal.

I've cheered for another team over the US competitor if I thought they were better.  If the US team had won last night, I would have felt they deserved it too.  I don't think there was much difference between the silver and gold. They were completely different types of skates

I just finished watching & agree with you.  After the American team finished I applauded so hard I hurt my shoulder & arm.  The female half of the Canadian team constantly graceful & poised, on & off the ice.  Their skate was beautiful.

I wish the other American team made the podium, mostly because I was so offended by the Russian's "Aborigine" costume & choreography.

Jane

« Reply #218 on: February 23, 2010, 07:31:03 PM »

Today was my 3rd day in a row of having to be up and out of the house before 9am and I'm looking forward to a leisurely morning tomorrow.  My mom saw an orthopedist today for her sore back and legs and found out that it's neuro-muscular (no fractures, whew!).  She's been put on an intensive regimen of ibuprofen and acetaminophen, which I hope she will follow.  After appointment we shopped a bit (she loves being pushed around Kroger in a wheel chair) and had lunch.  Back at her apartment, I rearranged some boxes for her and took out some trash, and then went for a quick visit with my aunt.  I took a 2-hour nap when I got home in order to be able to stay up tonight for the Olympics.

Vibes to your mother.  I hope they also gave her something to protect her stomach.

td

• td
« Reply #219 on: February 23, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »

Regarding LOST tonight:  I love Mark Pelligrino.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #220 on: February 23, 2010, 07:31:54 PM »

As for the Kindle...

Since I'm not a "constant" reader, the Kindle (and/or Nook and/or...) has no "immediate" appeal to me.  However, if I were to receive one as a gift, I would definitely not return it. ;)

*I do have the complete works of Shakespeare (FREE) and the "Stanza" (FREE) and "Kindle" (FREE) apps on my iPhone for those extra long subway rides.  -Yes, there are a bunch of FREE titles out there.

Keith has an iPhone.  I didn't know he could download books.  That would be great when we travel, then I only have to carry my books, not his.  He only takes one on a flight while I usually carry 2 books or more.

DR Jane - Yep, he can download books!  There are a couple of "book" apps in the store, but Stanza and Kindle are the most popular.  Stanza features mainly free - public domain - titles, so there's lots of classics available.  There is a "Shakespeare" app that has all the plays and sonnets.  Both apps also make it possible to adjust the print size for ease of reading.  iTunes itself also has a "book store" - which has a bunch of free titles.

LOL, Keith just said he doesn't want to read on the iPhone, "It is too small!"

Jane

« Reply #221 on: February 23, 2010, 07:32:10 PM »

I found Taylor Leigh.

She is sending me a photo of herself as Carole Lombard for use in my book.

:)

Great news!!

Jane

« Reply #222 on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »

Vibes for Uncle Bob and for the father of a friend who was given about a month to live today. She's headed up to Idaho to be with him.

VIBES FOR UNCLE BOB & BOTH FAMILIES!!

Jane

« Reply #223 on: February 23, 2010, 07:34:57 PM »

I go back and forth on the Kindle.  I have looked at other "readers" in stores and while I think they are cool. But, after spending a good portion of the day looking at computers for work and enjoyment, I like reading off of paper.   I also can see getting to the best part of a book and having the batteries die.  THat would be my luck

I ususally read an hour and a half to two hours a night.  Like I said you can charge it and read at the same time.

Not if I'm curled up in bed while Keith is trying to sleep.

td

• td
« Reply #224 on: February 23, 2010, 07:40:12 PM »

I found Taylor Leigh.

She is sending me a photo of herself as Carole Lombard for use in my book.

:)

A birthday gift indeed!

Matt H.

« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2010, 07:44:04 PM »

Sorry, but he's mine, all mine!

Matt H.

« Reply #226 on: February 23, 2010, 07:44:34 PM »

As I said, mine!

Matt H.

« Reply #227 on: February 23, 2010, 07:46:01 PM »

Now I guess I need to finish stuff up here and head downstairs and go to bed.

Good night!

Laura

« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2010, 07:47:05 PM »

Vibes and prayers for Uncle Bob and for John G's friend's father.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #229 on: February 23, 2010, 07:47:23 PM »

I cannot find the battery charger for my camera battery.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #230 on: February 23, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »

Happy Birthday to DR Druxy!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #231 on: February 23, 2010, 08:31:45 PM »

Back to the Oscar Race for a post...

The Times Magazine this past Sunday was their "Great Performers in Film" issue.  There were/are some great photographs and photo essays.

The 7th Annual Great Performers in Film
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #232 on: February 23, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »

I cannot find the battery charger for my camera battery.

OH NO!!!!!!

td

• td
« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2010, 09:28:27 PM »

Sorry, but he's mine, all mine!

I'll beat a hasty retreat.

NOT!

You take him as Lucifer, I'll take him as Jacob.  ;)

FJL

« Reply #234 on: February 23, 2010, 09:49:06 PM »

Hope your birthday was a good one, Druxy!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2010, 11:13:31 PM »

Home from a very long cover design session with Grant.  We have the cover but it took a long time to get there.  The photo I wanted to use just wasn't working for Grant, so that's now on the back cover.  But he saw a photo that he flipped for, which he felt gave the feel of the title and the book and a sense of fun.  I couldn't disagree and he designed it and even though it's a black and white photo he made it look quite good.  He found a terrific font for the title, and the only thing we may change is how big the drop shadow is because it's really big and I just want to be sure it's easy to read.  But I'm liking it more and more.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2010, 11:59:24 PM »

Mt cousin Sue just sent me info on Uncle Bob; she thinks his liver is shutting down and writes that the nurses told her his kidneys are failing. The hospital's advised his sons to get him into hospice. Please keep the vibes coming!

~~~Vibes of All Kinds for DR Elmore's Uncle Bob and His Family!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up