Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KIMMEL ON KINDLE  (Read 21728 times)

Jennifer

Re: KIMMEL ON KINDLE
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 05:51:48 AM »

re: the Kindle

I am also reluctant to try this. I love holding books in my hand. But I would be interested to try it for one book just to see. Who knows.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 05:52:12 AM »

Vibes to DR George's sister. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 05:56:54 AM »

Dr RonP wrote:
Orser was tied with Boitano after the free skate in 1988.  The tie-breaker was the artistic marks, and Boitano had the edge there...so the gold went to Boitano.

Orser was an ideal skater.  That is why a video of him skating might be among several used to instruct judges.

DR Jane wrote:
Then it doesn't have anything to do with is losing to Boitano, or that someone felt it was judged incorrectly.  That I can understand.

That's not what I took from what DR RonP wrote.  Since there is no tie-breaker where artistic marks are the tie-breaker they could very easily be saying that orser would have won.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 06:06:57 AM »

DR Cillaliz wrote re: last night's ICE DANCING

I loved the ice dancing tonight!!! Fabulous skating and wonderful results.   I like the ice dancing much better than the pairs figure skating

I also loved it. The two top teams were so mesmerizing. And i love that they are all best friends. I"m surprised though that you loved the results.  I stayed up till the bitter end.  Wow, totally thrilling. I had tears in my eyes!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 06:20:17 AM »

TOD:

I love my Kindle!  I also love books.  But I don't have to own a hardcopy of every single book that I want to read--my bookshelves are already packed and overflowing.  The Kindle can hold thousands of books, plus anything I purchase through the Kindle bookstore is stored in my Amazon Digital Locker (or whatever it's called) and I can download them whenever I need to.  If I come across a book elsewhere that's in pdf form, I can e-mail it to Amazon and they will convert it to the Kindle format. 

The Kindle is lightweight, so reading something like that last Stephen King book was not also a weightlifting experience. And the screen is completely readable in all kinds of light.  I regularly read from my Kindle on the beach during the summer. (I do wish that it had a back light for bedtime reading, but it seems they are concerned with battery life.  I get around this by using a clip-on light.)  The unit is also durable--I've dropped it a number of times with no ill effect.

I also still like shopping in bookstores and browsing and buying--nothing will ever replace that experience.  But I also have immediate access to hundreds of thousands of titles through the Kindle bookstore through the device itself, a healthy portion of which are free.  Back in November, I had a hankerin' to read Dickens' GRRREAT EXPECTATIONS; I had it on my Kindle in minutes.

An added feature is internet access.  While the browser is not high-resolution, it's serviceable enough to use to look up information if you need it right away.  And there is no monthly fee for this access. 

There is also a built-in dictionary that can be accessed while reading.  If you come up against a word and you need to look it up, you just highlight it, hit a few buttons and you have a definition.

Up till the recent brouhaha Amazon had with Macmillan, pricing was also an advantage--all new books had the top price of just $9.99.  I'm not sure what the future holds in that area, though.  Also, not every book is available, though from what I understand, a ton of back-catalog books are going to sold on the Kindle bookstore in the coming year.  I'm still waiting for THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:23:15 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 06:31:14 AM »

Something that I am not happy to read about:

Textbooks That Professors Can Rewrite Digitally

I think it would be wonderful if textbooks were available in digital format to cut students' costs.  But I don't like the idea of these books being editable by the instructors.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2010, 06:41:54 AM »

I'm up, and I've announced.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2010, 06:42:01 AM »

Thanks for all the happy birthday wishes, folks.

In case you're interested, it's 69.

I'm talking about my birthday.

What did you think I was talking about?

;D
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 06:43:18 AM »

Good to hear from all camps on the Kindle issue.  It's not for me - I'm a book person, but that's probably my collector mentality.  But I "get" the Kindle.  And one of the reasons I wanted the stuff on Kindle was the royalty rate is really good for the author.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2010, 06:43:49 AM »

Thanks for all the happy birthday wishes, folks.

In case you're interested, it's 69.

I'm talking about my birthday.

What did you think I was talking about?

;D

At sixty-nine, we KNEW what you were talking about :)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2010, 06:52:40 AM »

TOD:

My wife wants a Kindle, but we are holding off buying one because we want to be sure that that is the electronic device that winds up dominating the market.  Will there be some books out there that can be read on a competing reader, but not Kindle?

As an author, I've not been impressed with the wonders of Kindle.  My ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD book is available on Kindle, but those sales account for, perhaps 1-2% of the total.  Not too impressive.

On the plus side, physical books are expensive and take up space.  Realistically, how many books do we have that we ever read a second time?

Personally, I don't like reading anything of length electronically.  I much prefer holding the book or papers in my hands.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2010, 06:54:51 AM »

Good morning!

It was so warm this morning that I didn't even need a jacket for my walk. It is supposed to return to colder weather as the week progresses, I guess the last gasp of winter before spring arrives. It's gray today, too, and we're supposed to have more rain tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 06:57:48 AM »

TOD:

I have no interest in Kindle (or any electronic reader) at present, but that doesn't mean at some future date I won't find it something to have. Right now, I'm satisfied with book-books. I am not opposed to the concept of an electronic book.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 06:58:35 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Druxy!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 07:00:08 AM »

So far, there have been no UPS deliveries, so it looks like my day off is still in force. Today will likely be THE PRINCESS BRIDE on Blu-ray. Haven't watched the movie in years and look forward to seeing it in a decent transfer. I think the DVD I have was not an anamorphic transfer (that's how old it is).

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2010, 07:02:51 AM »

In response to DR Jose's comment last night about cable customer service,

I have nothing but praise for the customer service for Time-Warner here in Charlotte. I have never called with a problem that it didn't get immediate attention. If it was something that could be fixed from downtown (a channel being paid for but not coming through), it was fixed on the spot.

The one or two times when there seemed to be a cable outage, they were there the same day called (if I called in the morning) or the next day if it was an afternoon call.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2010, 07:04:57 AM »

Happy birthday to DR Druxy, yet another crazy wonderful UW alum!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2010, 07:04:59 AM »

After transferring my DVR files of skating from 2006 and 2010 over to DVD-Rs, I am left with a cache that's only 24% full, a HUGE improvement from the 92% full it was last Friday morning. And once I get those Tony Awards transferred over, that will free up another large chunk of space.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2010, 07:06:21 AM »

Oh, my, I'll have to watch LOST "live" once again this week since AMERICAN IDOL expands to two hours for the first night of singing performances (the top twelve women). I'll also be recording the Olympics as the ladies short programs are tonight's featured attraction.

JMK

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2010, 07:07:17 AM »

Well, DR Jane's Keith continues to work his magic and now is pretty sure he's found my maternal great-grandparents.   I'm not stopping until we get to Adam and Eve, folks.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »

There is also a new episode of WHITE COLLER on tonight and the last of the SOUTHLAND repeats from its NBC run last year airs tonight. Next week begins the new episodes of SOUTHLAND.

JMK

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2010, 07:08:15 AM »

I know it probably seems trivial to those of you who have at least an inkling of your family's history, but when you've grown up "in the dark", as my sisters and I did, it's really been both revelatory and very moving to find out at least a little something about our grandparents and, now, even further back.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2010, 07:13:33 AM »

It's snowing here in Austin. 

Wow!

I haven't seen snow like this since I was a kid in Seattle.

Do you think it has anything to do with my birthday?

::)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »

I know it probably seems trivial to those of you who have at least an inkling of your family's history, but when you've grown up "in the dark", as my sisters and I did, it's really been both revelatory and very moving to find out at least a little something about our grandparents and, now, even further back.

The things that I found out my family after they'd passed blew me away.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2010, 07:19:51 AM »

I'm heading downstairs in a little bit to check the mail and start on the rest of the viewing day.

WBBL.

Laura

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2010, 07:36:13 AM »

Birthday Snow!

There's something I'm not ever likely to see.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2010, 07:39:52 AM »

Birthday Snow!

There's always cocaine!   ;D

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2010, 07:49:31 AM »

Birthday Snow!

There's always cocaine!   ;D

LOL

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2010, 08:00:20 AM »

Birthday Snow!

There's always cocaine!   ;D

I always thought this was a thinly veiled song about drug use...
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2010, 08:02:34 AM »

I think a lot of us who are against kindle have never tried it.  The idea just sounds like something we wouldn't like.  To me it seems like it would lose a lot of the excitement of having a real book in your hands.

But it would be interesting if everyone could actually try it and then comment. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up