Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FRIST SENTENCE  (Read 60267 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE FRIST SENTENCE
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2004, 09:38:18 AM »

A reviewer over at Amazon.com feels about the same way the Mr BK feels about the Star! DVD.  And it's a shame it didn't receive top-notch treatment.   :'(

DRMATTH you are right about the character being a brave choice....and I think it's a bit like watching Doris Day play Ruth Etting as a ruthless, ambitious tramp in Love Me Or Leave Me, Etting by the way denies that much of that story was true.

Doris had a script by Daniel Fuchs and Isobel Lennart - and I can't really find any credits for the Star! screenwriter William Fairchild that would have given him the chops for the job...although he did write The Horsemasters for Disney and Annette!

MR BK makes a good point that Ernest Lehman would have given the script a direction or a point at least.  And the scenes you mention are terrific...I wish the whole movie had been.  The IMDB doesn't mention any source material.  Was the story just made up?  I know it was a bit of a jumble time wise.  

Anyway....how was the "screen test" footage of Julie and Daniel?

I may have to buy it....because I love the music...and there is a LOT of it!  The LP was a gatefold with a LOT of pictures of the musical numbers and I loved to play it...still do.  Is it on CD?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2004, 09:44:00 AM »

Page Two Dance.   ;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2004, 10:09:05 AM »

JRand53 - I don't know how you did that - but it's very cool.

Jane - Bogie's a beautiful cat. A Maine Coon, right? That's what the tufts on the ears look like. Not being a cat person, as you know, I happen to be a bit of an expert on Main Coons as my cousin in Switzerland (the one who sends me marzipan) breeds them as a hobby. Very dog-like cats, I'm told.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 10:29:49 AM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2004, 10:53:03 AM »

Jrand, that's my fave, Faster Pussycat, Kill, Kill with the divoon Tura Satana on the left. I've posted a pic of Tura and myself here at haineshisway.com.  I also named the Gail Edwards character Tura, in my play The Good One.  

td and MattH - I'm glad you like Star.  I wish I did.  I don't have the laser anymore.  td, it would be nice if you could tell if the laser had better color than the new DVD, especially in the skin tones.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2004, 10:53:34 AM »

MR BK - is Juliana leaving MILLIE for a new project?

Follow up to the Mike Danton story from yesterday....click if interested.

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/toronto/story.html?id=b502bd6f-7d84-47a5-a25c-f607e9c08106
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 10:54:08 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2004, 10:55:27 AM »

Yes, I thought you would like that MR BK.  I remember the lovely picture with you and Miss Tura.....it is one of my favorites....next to the one of you and Miss June Wilkinson....Macumba Love Goddess!

DR PANNI - I did it accidentally...but it worked!  8)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 10:56:15 AM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2004, 11:16:11 AM »

Juliana is leaving because she's tired of the road and because she'll be starring in The Wizard of Oz at the Sacramento Music Circus.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2004, 11:17:51 AM »

Hello, all!  Well, STAR; when I was in grad school I saw the complete print, loved about half, mostly the first part, and hated about the same amout, esepcially the over-the-top "Saga of Jenny" performed too elaborately in a setting never to be seen on any stage, with no attempt to tie the number to either its upstaging of Danny Kaye or Liza Elliot in her editor attire deciding on a  circus cover.   I loved the early music hall-Andre Charlot moments quite a lot, though.  I later had in my apartment a gigantic poster for "Those Were The Happy Times," which seemed to be a drastic cut-edit job to make the film more palatable, and which I hope never to see.

On another musical note, I took my goddaughter this morning to see THE PRINCE AND ME, which is really an updated version of THE STUDENT PRINCE without Norma Shearer or Sigmund Romberg.  The film jumped the shark about a third into it because uninformed director Martha Coolidge and her uninformed crew have no concept of Wisconsin weather in late November; a Thanksgiving weekend race had all the principals and extras dressed in T-shirts and light jackets, confusing Thanksgiving with Labor Day.  If she and her crew don't give a damn about reality, even in a fairy tale, why should her audience?

This reminded me, Dear Friend BK, when you were talking about the clueless director of the MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG revival you recorded and her allowing touchtone phones onstage in a scene that took place when phones still were dialed!  I've worked with her since and she's still clueless!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2004, 11:20:49 AM »

Julianna is going over the rainbow!!!!

Panni

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2004, 11:34:19 AM »

I've read the posts and am now officially lurking if I don't say something. I have nothing to report, however. I'm about to make some coffee. Peets Mocca-Java. How's that for news? 8)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 12:27:56 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2004, 11:35:43 AM »

Jeez, my knees, where in tarnation IS everyone.  What is it, Sunday all of a sudden?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2004, 11:51:14 AM »

Sunday Sweet Sunday.

TDOC.

td

• td
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2004, 12:05:25 PM »

td and MattH - I'm glad you like Star.  I wish I did.  I don't have the laser anymore.  td, it would be nice if you could tell if the laser had better color than the new DVD, especially in the skin tones.

Once my STAR! dvd is in tomorrow afternoon, I'll do an immediate A/B comparison; though I know for a fact that except for the reel containing the courtroom scene, the colors positively leap off the screen on the laserdisc, "The Physician" is positvely bathed in golds and torquoises which come off delightfully.

Well, I believe that the reason Lehman DIDN'T do the script is because early on, Beatrice Lillie insisted on playing herself in the film (!) and if she couldn't do it, she wouldn't allow any portrayal of her at all.  I know that Lillie was a major part of the early script, maybe Lehman worked on it at this point.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2004, 12:26:59 PM »

Trying to keep the board lively, here's a bit of news. The coffee I made (Peets Mocca-Java) has been drunk. By me. It was good.
Now I must write.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2004, 12:33:14 PM »

Not all at once DRPANNI.  Not all at once!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2004, 12:39:43 PM »

I too performed in a production of HAY FEVER,playing the father David Bliss when I was far too young to be playing it.  My review:  "Charles Pogue undoubtedly has one of the finest stage voice qualities going....With that delectable British accent,...he was quite convincing in the role."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2004, 12:45:10 PM »

"...quite convincing..." is a rave in my book.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2004, 12:55:47 PM »

Well I finally went into Krispy Kreme!

I was driving past it today with my mom.  And I said, "I really want to see their menu". I was just going to pull over and read the drive thru menu.  But it was not possible.

So we went in.  And there was a huge line.  And before I knew it someone had put a krispy kreme donut in my hand.   I love that idea.  It makes people want to wait in line.

I felt bad, since I wasn't there to buy any donuts.  But there were so many people there who were buying, that I'm sure they didn't notice.

I checked out what they have.  And they definitely have like 30 different varieties. Yeah!  I cannot wait to try each one.

If anyone has any favorites, let me know.

They also have a huge area that lets you watch how they make them.  Very cool.

I will definitely be back there soon. :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2004, 01:10:19 PM »

Well, when my DVD finally comes, I have every intention of synching them up and comparing the two. I do this with most DVD/laser duplicates I have, and almost always the DVD has come out on top. This will be a most interesting comparison.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2004, 01:16:28 PM »

To answer your question DR JRand, a soundtrack CD was released in a series Fox soundtracks supervised by our very own Mr. Nick Redman. It is an extended version of the soundtrack LP with such added attractions as Daniel Massey's "Forbidden Fruit" and Julie's complete recording of the Oscar nominated-title song.

I suspect it's not in print any longer.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2004, 01:39:56 PM »

It sounds as if the skin tones are based on the soundtrack album cover.

And I still say the cover looks like Julie is auditioning for a KISS tribute band.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2004, 01:48:53 PM »

LOL...thanks for the info MATTH!  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2004, 01:53:12 PM »

One amazon "reviewer" of Star has already said exactly what I did - that the colors are pale.  The really heavily colored scenes come off okay, but you'll see what I mean in terms of the flesh tones and most of the scenes.  It's pretty "there".

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?

Robin

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2004, 02:01:28 PM »

I checked out what they have.  And they definitely have like 30 different varieties. Yeah!  I cannot wait to try each one.
If anyone has any favorites, let me know.

I've tried many different varieties of Krispy Kreme, and I gotta tell ya, you can't improve on perfection.  Call me a purist, call me irresponsible, hell, call me Shirley, but I'm a devotee of the Original Glazed.  

By the way, has anyone seen Kill Bill, Volume 2 yet?  Bearing in mind that I am assuredly not a Tarantino fan, I still enjoyed this movie a heckuva lot.  I still think he specializes in putting lipstick on pigs and laughing all the way to the bank, but he does it well in this movie; and it's easily the best flicker I've seen so far this year.  

I'm gonna wait for the uber-edition deeveedee of this one, with both parts merged into a whole.  And it'll make a grand total of one Tarantino movie I've actually liked.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2004, 02:04:08 PM »

That's distressing because DR. DOLITTLE and HELLO DOLLY, both Fox musicals from the same three year period, look wonderful on DVD. Argh!  :(

Panni

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2004, 02:16:46 PM »

By the way, has anyone seen Kill Bill, Volume 2 yet?  Bearing in mind that I am assuredly not a Tarantino fan, I still enjoyed this movie a heckuva lot.

As you noted earlier today by my challenge (unmet) of DR Jed, I have. I'm also not a fan of Mr. T, but enjoyed this one a lot. I'd just seen vol 1 on DVD a few nights before, so the whole thing was quite fresh in my mind.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 02:17:46 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2004, 02:20:31 PM »

I must start Previewing my posts. I've been posting while writing, so my mind is on other things... so I make mistakes, post, then have to modify. Almost every one of my posts recently has "Last Edit: Today at..." under it.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2004, 02:29:18 PM »

Hey everyone, just thought I should post a warning that e-mails containing viruses have been sent, looking like something from a HHW person.  I got one supposedly from DR Jed, containing a download that had a virus in it.  So consider this a heads up! :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2004, 02:34:41 PM »

New question:  When at a restaurant, and ordering steak, how do you answer the question "And how would you like that cooked?"

I normally reply "Medium-Rare, please."  Der Brucer cheats and answers with the question "What do you call bright pink in the center?"  Only, by cheating, he usually gets exactly what he wants!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2004, 02:35:44 PM »

And yes, DR Jane, you can have a tofu steak if that's what you want!   ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up