Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NACHOS AND THE METAPHYSICAL  (Read 10185 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NACHOS AND THE METAPHYSICAL
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:05:40 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were metaphysical, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently eating nachos and dancing to Olivia Newton John's classic Let's Get Metaphysical.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: NACHOS AND THE METAPHYSICAL
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 12:06:48 AM »

And the word of the day is: GARRULOUS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 12:09:11 AM »

For those errant and truant people who may have missed the pre-announcement, the new Kritzerland title is available for pre-pre-ordering.  It's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping, paid directly to paypal using our paypal address of kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

PART HEAVEN… PART HELL… PURE HAVANA

Kritzerland is very proud to present a world premiere CD soundtrack release:

CUBA
Music Composed and Conducted by Patrick Williams

Richard Lester’s 1979 film Cuba was pretty much dismissed by audiences and critics.  However, in the years since its release, people have begun to come around to its charms and the film has developed a solid following and rightfully so – it is, in fact, one of Lester’s best and most interesting films.   It is visually stunning and its period detail is astonishing.  The films is filled with memorable performances from its large cast, including Sean Connery, Brooke Adams, Chris Sarandon, Martin Balsam, Hector Elizando, and Jack Weston, among many others.  Set during the buildup to the 1959 Cuban revolution, the film covers the end of the Batista regime and the Castro takeover, adding romance and thrills and intrigue to the mix, sort of a Cuban Casablanca. 

For the score, Lester turned to the great Patrick Williams.  It was, as it turned out, an absolutely inspired choice.  Williams turned in an enticing, exciting, eclectic and excellent score.  The love theme is one of his most beautiful creations, a haunted lament for a past romance, beautifully scored, with guitar and female voice taking the lead.   The score features a lot of driving percussion, and some great dynamic dramatic cues.

For this CD, the premiere release of the score, the tracks were mastered from Williams’ own tapes, which were in great condition.  We present the score as he wrote it (some of the cues did not make the film or were truncated) – at the time of the film’s release, Williams did a rough version of an album presentation (that obviously never happened), editing a few cues together for musical cohesion.  We’ve left those edited cues the way he did them, and have sequenced the score into what we hope is the best listening experience – while much of it is in film sequence order, we’ve moved a few things around to help balance the presentation.  As a bonus track we’ve included Williams’ wonderful arrangement of the Fain/Webster song, “A Certain Smile,” which appears as source music in the film in an important scene.

Patrick Williams has had an amazing career that is still going strong today.  He began scoring films in 1968 with How Sweet It Is, and since then he’s been prolific in both film and television – here is just a small sampling of his great work: Don’t Drink The Water, The Streets Of San Francisco, Incident In San Francisco (my personal favorite), San Francisco International (apparently Pat was the go-to guy for all things San Francisco), The Magician, The Harrad Summer, Cannon, Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show, The One and Only, Casey’s Shadow, The Cheap Detective, and many more.  Williams, like Quincy Jones, Johnny Mandel, and Lalo Schifrin, also crossed over into the worlds of arranging for singers, as well as jazz – his jazz/big band albums are fantastic and highly recommended – Dreams and Themes, Threshhold, 10th Avenue and Sinatraland. 

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping.

CD will ship by the first week of May – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »

I just ordered the CD. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 01:39:12 AM »

I just ordered the CD. :)

Let's alert the media so the world will know!  ;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:40:17 AM »

I spent a pleasant evening at home.  Among my entertainments was "The Man Who Would Be King", and I was delighted to discover that it not only sounds better than any recording, thus far, but it plays perfectly.  No skips.

Yippee!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:08:34 AM »

Good morning, all!

At 2:59 am the ass above me let his door slam to let the world know he was home. In case I missed the fact, he clomped around a bit in what I swear are army combat boots, and unfolded his bed with several loud thuds. Within 15 minutes he and his companion were making that bed squeak for all it's worth and I had to listen to that for 30 minutes or so. Please, God, just let him die of a heart attack today at the age of 25(?)! It's the thought of his death that gives me the hope to stay alive.

I keep thinking I have things to do at Toyland, but I really do not want to go out. I am tempted to turn the tv on at full volume and leave for several hours but, much as I'd love to irritate the guy above me and destroy his sleep until his noon wakeup, I don't want to disturb the neighbor below me. It's a quandary.

This afternoon I'm seeing THE HURT LOCKER with my friend Chris and I have things to keep me busy until then.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:16:08 AM »

I watched a bit of The American Songbook on PBS last night - until the first pledge break - they at least showed MUCH of the song they were talking about, although some the chronology in the clips was askew.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 06:16:25 AM »

I did not win the PowerBall.  That is all.

Except that it is Sunday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 06:19:54 AM »

My Aunt Betty's obituary.

http://www2.indystar.com/cgi-bin/obituaries/index.php

Thanks again to all for the lovely thoughts.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 06:25:07 AM »

Please to enjoy

Awkward Family Photos.

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 06:47:48 AM »

Good morning!

It's gray here since it's supposed to rain by mid-afternoon, but it was 51 this morning, so my walk was very pleasant. It won't be long before I can just wear a t-shirt and not a sweatshirt on my walks.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 06:49:09 AM »

I know what I'm going to watch this afternoon for another day off marathon - FINIAN'S RAINBOW, the 1968 musical version which I haven't watched in a long time. I'm hoping the DVD, which I haven't watched yet, looks beautiful upconverted. The others from the MGM box set (EASTER PARADE, BRIGADOON) certainly look wonderful.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 06:50:05 AM »

Morning all. I'm on Long Island and will be returning to the city sometime this evening.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 06:50:34 AM »

Now, TV GUIDE says that a new episode of CASTLE comes on tonight at 10, part 1 of a two part story, but the TV WEEK that comes with the newspaper had TBA in tonight's 10 p.m. timeslot, so until I check out my cable guide, I have no idea what's on then. I know BROTHERS & SISTERS is not slated to come back for several weeks.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 06:51:52 AM »

And I should have a CASTLE rerun to watch today while I eat lunch. If it didn't record for some reason, I'll have to pull something off the shelf, maybe from THE MENTALIST or BONES season sets.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 06:54:36 AM »

As for this week's work schedule, the only thing I know I'm supposed to have this week is THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX on Blu-ray. I guess Criterion could send me April's line-up of releases early and I could get started on them. (I got a month of lead time last month).

On the TV front, Paramount is supposed to send the I LOVE LUCY movie and the next box of PERRY MASON episodes, but who knows what they'll send. It's never exactly what has been requested.

Laura

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »

Good morning. It is a glorious day here. The best part is there's a board meeting, and I don't have to go. They should be making a printer decision, so I guess I will hear what will finally happen.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 07:01:41 AM »

I watched THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS last night.

Overall, it's very funny, but the ending is weak.
You can dream…or you can do.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 07:01:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: GARRULOUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  HURRY! IT'S LOVELY UP HERE

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 07:27:31 AM »

I'm going to finish up a few computer things and then head down to get started with the rest of the day.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 07:59:39 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! Traffic in the City is a mess today due to some event, so I took the subway.

While I am here, I will work on the BABES IN TOYLAND Main Report and pick up a few things to work on at home tomorrow while the super is painting my bathroom ceiling. On my way back uptown, I'll stop at 59th Street, walk to the Lincoln Square Cinema and pick up the tickets for THE HURT LOCKER.

I'm listening to the Doris Day-Robert Goulet recording of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN and wondering why Doris is singing laundered lyrics to "Doin' What Comers Natur'lly." Grandpa Bill has become Grandpa Dick who died at 93, as opposed to Grandpa Bill who at 93 is doing what comes naturally. There's not a single lyric in this song I recognize.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 08:02:25 AM »

Good morning, good day, how are you this beautiful day?  I am up earlier than need be, but it's fine.

Laura

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 08:05:12 AM »

I guess dying comes naturally at 93, Elmore.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 08:07:17 AM »

DR MattH, I know that Brothers & Sisters is not on tonight. i'm pretty sure that Desperate Housewives is on at 9pm. And at 10pm is a Jamie Oliver special.

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 08:08:46 AM »

I had an exhausting night. My niece and I had a sleepover. And it took from 8-10pm for her to fall asleep. I had to read her a ton of stories!

This morning we baked banana bread. And then at 9:15am we went to the library. and she picked out some easter and passover books.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 08:13:02 AM »

My Aunt Betty's obituary.

http://www2.indystar.com/cgi-bin/obituaries/index.php

Thanks again to all for the lovely thoughts.

Wow, married since 1947...and to the same man! My mom was married that same year, but she managed 3 different marriages since that time.

FJL

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 08:14:49 AM »

I'd like to die at 93.  but maybe I'll change my mind when I'm 92.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 08:19:22 AM »

I'd like to die at 93.  but maybe I'll change my mind when I'm 92.

I just don't want to outlive my good health or my money.

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

FJL

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 08:19:54 AM »

Larry, did I miss something?  is your upstairs neighbor intentionally trying to get your goat now, or is this just the usual?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up