Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PASTA, THE MEATBALL, AND THE EYETALIAN SAUSAGE  (Read 11615 times)

Jennifer

Re: THE PASTA, THE MEATBALL, AND THE EYETALIAN SAUSAGE
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2010, 10:02:23 AM »

I must head downstairs now to get cleaned up for lunch out today with best friend John. I recorded DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES last night because of John Barrowman's guest star role (and I understand Andrew is back in some plot line with his mother), so I'll likely watch that before I get picked up for lunch.

WBBL.

I didn't watch DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES yet but i'm curious about John Barrowman.  Andrew has been back for a while now.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2010, 10:03:07 AM »

And DANCING WITH THE STARS begins tonight. Not sure who i will cheer for. I'm also very interested to see the new co-host. I did not care for the old one.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »

DR Elmore that neighbor above you sounds like a real jerk.  I don't know what exactly I'd do. But if he won't try to be more considerate there has to be something. I know i would not be able to let it go.  I"m surprised the landlord or building manager won't get involved.

I know you don't want to wake up other neighbors at night by being noisy. But man i'd be so tempted to take my stereo and aim it right at the ceiling of his bedroom right when he was trying to sleep. Maybe then he'd understand about being disturbed!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »

BK, I think I've put my finger on (or at least can articulate better) what troubles me about the Vilanch quote besides the "didn't make it as an actor" part.  It is the assumption that everyone knows who you and he are.  Yes, people here and people who are already inclined to buy the book know that, but what about those who don't? 

If people reading the blurb on the back of the jacket have no idea that you're a CD producer of theatre music, the joke falls flat.  The punchline is predicated on the assumption of the reader having knowledge that he may not have.

But then...I may just be over-analyzing it.

Surely there will be information about Bruce and his career either on the inside folds of the dustjacket or the back cover itself, won't there?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2010, 10:43:47 AM »

BK, I think I've put my finger on (or at least can articulate better) what troubles me about the Vilanch quote besides the "didn't make it as an actor" part.  It is the assumption that everyone knows who you and he are.  Yes, people here and people who are already inclined to buy the book know that, but what about those who don't? 

If people reading the blurb on the back of the jacket have no idea that you're a CD producer of theatre music, the joke falls flat.  The punchline is predicated on the assumption of the reader having knowledge that he may not have.

But then...I may just be over-analyzing it.

Welcome to the Over-analyzer's Club, DR Charles Pogue! As a charter member, I guess most of the people on the first pass of book purchasers will know Bruce's ouevre and want to know more about him. It's the second round of purchases that will be informed of our BK's career progression from the tome.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »

Hello, everyone.

Bruce, I'm afraid I really don't think that the Bruce Vilanch blurb is a good one. Yes, on the surface it's positive, but there are several not-so-subtle undertones. People reading blurbs often are reading them quickly and not carefully, and at first glance this could EASILY be misread. Perhaps one needs to know Mr Vilanch, which I do not. You should not assume that others do so. I may be the only nay here, but I didn't find it funny and I didn't find it positive.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2010, 10:54:58 AM »

"This is a book. It has pages. You read it. I did." Jack Randall Earles
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2010, 10:56:52 AM »

Sorry to lose the team we lost last night on TAR....they were growing on me.  One team made a LOT of mistakes and still did okay - because the other teams after them also failed in simple things.....

And on PWOJECT WUNWAY - I keep waiting for that one trick pony to get sent home....and it doesn't happen....hopefully soon.

JMK

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2010, 11:02:56 AM »

TAR:  Amazed that two (count 'em) two teams did not seem to have the faintest clue who Joan of Arc was.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2010, 11:03:24 AM »

Though in defense of them both Joan and Noah have the same vowels in the middle.  :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2010, 11:04:10 AM »

I am quite sure that the vast majority of people interested in your book are going to know who Bruce Vilanch is, BK.

I know the name but I had to look at a photo to remember who he is, & I don't know his work. 

Jane

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2010, 11:05:04 AM »

And I understand about "didn't make it as an actor" which I think will read better as "didn't continue as an actor" - and he's fine with that.

Yes, the more I look at it, the more I like it with that change to "I'm almost glad he didn't continue as an actor"

I think this resolves the uncertainty you were feeling.

I think it sounds better.

Jane

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2010, 11:07:07 AM »

DR Ginny, congrats on the successful book sale.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »

DR Elmore that neighbor above you sounds like a real jerk.  I don't know what exactly I'd do. But if he won't try to be more considerate there has to be something. I know i would not be able to let it go.  I"m surprised the landlord or building manager won't get involved.

I know you don't want to wake up other neighbors at night by being noisy. But man i'd be so tempted to take my stereo and aim it right at the ceiling of his bedroom right when he was trying to sleep. Maybe then he'd understand about being disturbed!

I would go bang loudly on his door next time, and maybe every time.   You are awake anyway. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »

Joan of Arc - the one with all the animals.....

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »

I would go bang loudly on his door next time, and maybe every time.   You are awake anyway. 
You never know, he might invite you to join in! (Just kidding)

I used to live upstairs over a couple who fought constantly. they were both physically abusive to each other, and, as I look back on it, it was the way their relationship worked. It was ugly for meand I never said anything (they were the landlords). I just moved as soon as the lease was over, but it was a horrible year.  I felt like I was a part of their screwed up world. I don't envy you your nocturnal madness.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »

You never know, he might invite you to join in! (Just kidding)

I used to live upstairs over a couple who fought constantly. they were both physically abusive to each other, and, as I look back on it, it was the way their relationship worked. It was ugly for meand I never said anything (they were the landlords). I just moved as soon as the lease was over, but it was a horrible year.  I felt like I was a part of their screwed up world. I don't envy you your nocturnal madness.

I don't care if he wants to stay out all night. What I resent is his complete lack of concern for his neighbors: no carpet to muffle anything, heavy walking around, the squeaky bed which is also very noisy to fold out, letting the door slam behind him, and the noisy sex. If he wants to whore around from 11 pm to 3 am, the least the ass could do is unfold the bed before he leaves or purchase a sturdier bed, put down some carpet, and show some damned consideration for my friendly but aggressive attempts to resolve this since January.

Better yet, he could be murdered on the streets.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2010, 11:34:07 AM »

Sorry to lose the team we lost last night on TAR....they were growing on me.  One team made a LOT of mistakes and still did okay - because the other teams after them also failed in simple things.....

And on PWOJECT WUNWAY - I keep waiting for that one trick pony to get sent home....and it doesn't happen....hopefully soon.

Do you mean the "color blocker"?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2010, 11:36:50 AM »

One thing is for certain:  Whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed by someone or something, all I have to do is to read about the experiences of Larry Moore and my problems evaporate.

:)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2010, 11:38:55 AM »

just got good news from DC: it seems someone very important to the concert - and probably responsible for the budget situation which meant cutting one of the two pianos - screwed up big time this morning.

Suddenly I'm cheering right up.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »

Dagnabbit!

When will I learn NOT to go to Comcast.net the day after an AMAZIN' RACE I did not watch!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »

Good Afternoon!

A break. Silence.*

*I'm sitting next to the trumpets. Although in this hall, "everyone" is sitting next to the trumpets.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2010, 11:47:01 AM »

That is all for now.

Time to let my brain and eyes have a break.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »

DR Jose, I hope you have a good evening.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2010, 11:57:10 AM »

Hello, everyone.

Bruce, I'm afraid I really don't think that the Bruce Vilanch blurb is a good one. Yes, on the surface it's positive, but there are several not-so-subtle undertones. People reading blurbs often are reading them quickly and not carefully, and at first glance this could EASILY be misread. Perhaps one needs to know Mr Vilanch, which I do not. You should not assume that others do so. I may be the only nay here, but I didn't find it funny and I didn't find it positive.

I didn't find it funny & would put the book down after reading it.  I think that guy who wrote The Fly, also wrote a very inviting blurb. ;)

Jane

« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »

I am also recording, throughout the week,  the 2010 World Figure Skating Championships on Universal Sports (analog)....apparently, that's the only channel I have that is airing them. 
[/quote]

Seems I won't be watching this at all since I don't seem to have a channel that is airing it.

JMK

« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2010, 12:11:59 PM »

Just finished L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.  Not the best Blu, but what a fantastic movie!  So glad I decided to watch it again after all these years.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »

DR Ginny, congrats on the successful book sale.

Thanks, Jane!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2010, 12:40:49 PM »

Sorry to lose the team we lost last night on TAR....they were growing on me. 

Same here, I really enjoyed them.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »

Just finished L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.  Not the best Blu, but what a fantastic movie!  So glad I decided to watch it again after all these years.

I think it's the best movie to come out of Hollywood in the last 25 years.
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up