Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OUT OF PITH  (Read 11417 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re: OUT OF PITH
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2010, 09:57:55 AM »

My question for bk: have you ever mistakenly sent an email to someone and inadvertently copied someone on it that you hadn't meant to? Someone who was referenced in said email with a somewhat negative tone?

I did that yesterday regarding our film. I didn't say anything horrible and was able to smooth things over quickly, but I still had a panic attack. Greg said he'd never done this, so I wondered how common this was, and if there are any good stories involving said scenario?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2010, 09:58:23 AM »

And a very Happy Birthday to Ann!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2010, 09:59:06 AM »

happy birthday, DR Ann!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »

Page 3 dance!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2010, 10:00:57 AM »

It was a wonderful show - especially Gower Champion's terrific staging.
I hear this from most everyone who saw the show and I love the songs, so why didn't it quite make it?
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »

I hear this from most everyone who saw the show and I love the songs, so why didn't it quite make it?

Perhaps it's because that there were no songs that lived beyond the show?
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »

I love Pitiful Penniless Bums - but I don't really know it from the show, only from MR BK's recording with Brent Barrett.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2010, 10:15:33 AM »

And Robert Morse did The Beauty That Drives Men Mad on the Tony show that spotlighted Broadway women....and he was hilarious!

My guess as to it's non-success, that movie is a hard act to follow....and when it hit Broadway in 1972, the movie was only 13 years old....and it had a respectable if not spectacular 505 performance run.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2010, 10:34:23 AM »

I think SUGAR also marked the beginning of David Merrick's long, slow decline as a producing powerhouse.  There was some major article in some magazine back then about SUGAR, talking about how divided the out-of-towners were on it.  And I think, rightly or wrongly, a lot of people (including Merrill, IIRC) decried Styne's music, though I think a lot of it is quite winning.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »

Despite the run count, the production lost money. But the cast album has some treasures, including the songs already mentioned, "When You Meet a Man in Chicago," "Sun on My Face" (OK, lame lyric, great melody) and the title song. There were other shows from the era that had no stand-alone hits but somehow managed to be remembered and revived. Granted, the show was revived with Tony Curtis and under the name "Some Like It Hot," but I hear that was hardly an artistic or financial successs.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2010, 10:42:39 AM »

What could Mara Corday be looking at that prompted this response?   :o

http://www.coolcinematrash.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/ndvd_025.jpg

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2010, 10:43:25 AM »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »

I recall reading that SUGAR's main problems were it's flat book and that it was pretty expensive to run.  If the latter was true, I wonder if the tour cut costs somehow...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2010, 11:17:17 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Ann!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2010, 11:17:35 AM »

LOL Ginny.  Keith steals the covers back from me.  My problem is Sherlock, once he pulls the covers there is no moving them.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2010, 11:22:52 AM »

DR Ann,

Jane

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2010, 11:59:44 AM »

DtM it is my understanding Kindle won't work well when I'm reading at night in the dark.  Thanks for the book info.  If it seems to heavy when I won't check it out from the library. 

Jane

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2010, 12:00:52 PM »

We watched CASTLE last night & agree with Matt H, excellent episode.  Matt, I'm baffled why you thought Martha had anything to do with the killer? ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2010, 12:03:58 PM »

The book is flat, the grass is green, the door is open.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »

DR ELMORE of course the interpretations of the Dream-0-Matic 6000 are open for discussion.

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2010, 12:11:57 PM »

Our table is set for 12, but I'm betting we'll only have 11 for dinner.  I'm signing off and will be back when the party's over...bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2010, 12:19:36 PM »

My question for bk: have you ever mistakenly sent an email to someone and inadvertently copied someone on it that you hadn't meant to? Someone who was referenced in said email with a somewhat negative tone?

I did that yesterday regarding our film. I didn't say anything horrible and was able to smooth things over quickly, but I still had a panic attack. Greg said he'd never done this, so I wondered how common this was, and if there are any good stories involving said scenario?

Yep, I've done it and had to do what you did - smooth it over.  I've also been sent e-mails that I wasn't supposed to see - the funniest of those was from the record label that shall not be named, in the midst of our lawsuit they accidentally sent me an e-mail meant for the two-faced back-stabbing prick who was at least partly responsible for that whole debacle - I was able to use that in my deposition in a very funny way.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2010, 12:19:57 PM »

Finished the liner notes for our new release, announcing on Monday, if all goes well.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »

The 5-10 mile speeding buffer may be a thing of the past:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-03-30-speeding-cushion_N.htm?se=yahoorefer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2010, 01:00:58 PM »

DR ELMORE of course the interpretations of the Dream-0-Matic 6000 are open for discussion.

Why aren't you in DC working for the government?

I'm all set for my trip tomorrow to DC; all I have to do tonight is pack and make sure the alarm goes off at 5 am.

After today's meeting, I guess I can officially announce that in September I will begin a recording project of all the extant cello & piano music, piano solo music, and songs written for other venues than a show by Victor Herbert; this will include German lieder, Irish patriotic songs, Irish folksong arrangements, songs for plays, vaudeville acts and revues, and special occasion pieces like the Catholic University Alma Mater. Soloists will include Rebecca Luker, George Dvorsky, Ron Raines, Jeanne Lehman, Zachary Stains (DR JRand's fave Hercules), Steven LaBrie, Korliss Uecker, Rosalie Sullivan, Margaret Jane Wray, Dillon McCartney, Marnie Breckinridge, Valerian Ruminski, Jonathan Michie, and Christopher Fitzgerald, accompanied by William Hicks, who will be piano soloist. The cellist will be Jerry Grossman, principal cellist of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, a post once held by Victor Herbert.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2010, 01:02:40 PM »

I'm not sure how many people love Cadbury's easter cream eggs. But here is a Todd Wilbur clone. I have not yet tried. But i am definitely going to. I like the idea about putting it in little egg molds (i wonder if i have those?)

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipedetail.asp?sessionid=&login=yes&id=134

John G.

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »

Just back from Pilates for the first time in two weeks -- and I can feel it in every muscle. Stopped off at Big Lots and there was a new shipment of DVDs for $2.50 apiece. Got "Clueless" and "Chinatown" plus "Funny Face" and "Too Many Girls," which I don't think I've ever seen.
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2010, 01:17:42 PM »

Lois Denominator
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Since my friends are staying down by Columbia University, I directed us to Community Food & Juice for lunch. Well, brunch.  I had their amazing(!!!!!!!) Blueberry Pancakes with Maple Butter.  Soooo good, and perfect for this drier but still cool early Spring day here in NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »

I have never seen SUGAR on stage. It never seems to have caught on for community theaters and local theaters to do. Of course, a lot of Broadway shows at around that same time - OVER HERE! and SEESAW are two others that spring quickly to mind - don't get done much locally either.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up