Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LET ME COUNT THE WAYS  (Read 45241 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:LET ME COUNT THE WAYS
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2004, 11:59:45 AM »

DR S. Woody, Whoopi Goldberg's sitcom is taped with a live audience in NYC. I assumed Kelly Ripa's HOPE AND FAITH is also taped in NYC.
Hey, I said that as far as I know there isn't much entertainment production going on in NYC.

And besides, Whoopi is just boarderline when it comes to being entertainment.   ::)  So there!   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2004, 12:00:29 PM »

Jed, congratulations on you new Toyata.

RLP I too enjoyed reading your memories and feelings of those years.  I was lucky as I knew very few people, and no one close to me, who went to Viet Nam.  I became friends with people who had been there after their return, but I wasn’t personally worried about anyone while they were there.

Panni your SOUND OF MUSIC experience was different from my family stories, yet it had a similar feel to it.  It could have been worse had they gone to the movie and argued the entire time.

Charles Pogue, where were you Sunday when I was talking about you?

By the way, Sunday I forgot to mention the “sure to miss” movie, ELLA ENCHANTED.   :-[

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2004, 12:01:42 PM »

page three dance!

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
;D :D ;D :D ;D
::) :o ::)
8)
[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2004, 12:04:50 PM »

Woohoo we're moving to Page Three.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2004, 12:10:22 PM »

...but to ruin a family evening over what you described.

It was not an evening performance, but an early afternoon matinee and part of the fun was to be a Hungarian restaurant for dinner after the show. Going out to eat was a huge treat for me, too. And I had it all planned - Wiener Schnitzel and maybe walnut "palacsinta" for dessert. Instead, after the movie I was dropped off at home to a silent, angry house. I went to my room, shut the door and pretended I was Maria and the Captain was going to come and rescue me from this place.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2004, 12:12:03 PM »

We'll there were a lot of posts at the same time, so I'll make that "we've moved to Page Three".

And Woody did the dance!

The dances actually make me happy. :)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2004, 12:12:45 PM »

Jennifer: I bribed him -- and I took LOTS of shots to get a good one.

And your stuffed zucchini sounds wonderful. I do that sometimes. No one else here eats it but me.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2004, 12:15:44 PM »

"...I went to my room, shut the door and pretended I was Maria and the Captain was going to come and rescue me from this place." ...which is why I became a writer (well, first an actor) - so it's a good thing that this (and there's a whole lot more where this came from, folks) happened.

Jed

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2004, 12:16:43 PM »

And your stuffed zucchini sounds wonderful. I do that sometimes. No one else here eats it but me.

What a silly bunch you live with, Laura.  Sounds delish to me!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2004, 12:19:12 PM »

JRand53:  Ah, yes, SOUVENIR BOOKS, PROGRAMS.  I bought them all as I could find them.  Sometimes, they were given away free while they lasted!  (I got a free hardbacked "The Big Fisherman" souvenir book at a rerelease showing of that film).

I've since attempted to find as many souvenir books as I can.  I have a nice collection, but there are holes, oh! yes!, there are holes.

Anyone got a souvenir program for "All About Eve" that they don't have any use for????

: )
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2004, 12:23:02 PM »

BK---
I'm seeing the new production 5/1 and will let you know if the scene is in or out.  However since it was out of the benefit, it's probably out here too.  

Did any DR see the version of FINIAN'S RAINBOW that toured a few years ago but could not get the financing to come to NY?  Was the infamous Bromo Seltzer scene in that production?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2004, 12:23:02 PM »

Strange, every squirrel I've ever met has been a total ham!

TOD: We didn't go to many movies when I was growing up.  My parents were basically skinflints.  The only two movies we saw in roadshow screenings were Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines and Sound of Music.

Usually, when we went to see a film, we saw it at a drive-in.  Thus, How the West Was Won ended up as an early version of pan and scan.  Sound quality was awful, every time, of course.  

The last film we saw in a drive-in was 2001.  Unfortunately, a supermarket had planted a set of gigantic floodlights over their parking lot, which was located directly behind the drive-in, and the spillover hit the screen.  Kubrick's film became a masterpiece in whites and half-tone greys.

*sigh*

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2004, 12:28:28 PM »

What did you bribe the little squirrel with?

Just wondering what squirrels like.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2004, 12:39:01 PM »

I went to my room, shut the door and pretended I was Maria and the Captain was going to come and rescue me from this place.

Would a convent take a Jewish girl?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

td

• td
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2004, 12:46:30 PM »

May I say that reading RLP's Reply #38 has been one of the best reading experiences I've had on the internet!  Wow.  I'm totally beside myself.  What a great post!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2004, 12:50:09 PM »

Anyone got a souvenir program for "All About Eve" that they don't have any use for????

DR RLP:  Even if I did have one, I wouldn't give it up.  After all, what do you take me for?  (I know, I know:  I don't know that you'd take me for anything....)

Sorry all for being E&T over the last few days.  Been quite busy here at work.

I am especially sorry that I missed yesterday, as it would have been such a fun topic for me to chime in on.  Alas and alack, that is what being E&T gets me....

I also have to admit that I am just a smidge too young to remember true roadshow engagements of movies.  Though I do recall an intermission in the middle of THE TOWERING INFERNO.  (For a short while there, disaster pictures were my favorite genre.)

DR Jennifer, I too enjoy stuffed zucchini once in a while.  Yours sounded truly divoon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2004, 01:08:12 PM »

Although she never appeared in either a Roadshow or Epic film, here is your Allison Hayes photo of the week.

Another from Hong Kong Confidential co-starring with Mr Gene Barry.  Notice the red toreador pants with black embroidered trim, hoop earrings, and heart-shaped ring - on Miss Hayes, of course.

The ring was her personal jewelry and she often wore it in films and on television.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2004, 01:13:27 PM »

Notice the red toreador pants with black embroidered trim, hoop earrings, and heart-shaped ring - on Miss Hayes, of course.

..."on Miss Hayes, of course" made me laugh out loud, JRand 53. :D

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2004, 01:18:15 PM »

Notice the red toreador pants with black embroidered trim, hoop earrings, and heart-shaped ring

What, pray tell, is the difference between a toreador pant, a capri pant, and a pair of clamdiggers?  

Inquiring minds want to know, DR JRand.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2004, 01:23:11 PM »

I don't know if anyone else here is a fan of "24,' but I just this afternoon got around to watching the episode from last week that was shown on Sunday night due to President Bush's address.

I say at the beginning of this that I do get VERY involved with films, plays, and TV. I sit there and believe every word and believe every sight I see. At any rate, I was in tears for most of the hour telecast with THE most dramatically upsetting plot I think I've ever seen on TV. A deadly virus loose in a hotel where people are given the option of dying agonizing deaths or taking suicide pills; the terrorist who placed the virus demanding the execution of one of the series' main characters or he would release more virus to more areas of the country: and the main character having to perform the execution. AND IT HAPPENED, no last minute reprieve.

Very, very upsetting.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2004, 01:25:28 PM »

Oh joy!!  My employers have finally bought a new computer!  It's a brand spanking new Dell with all the trimmings...this makes my life at work so much better! :)

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2004, 01:25:47 PM »

JRand53:  Ah, yes, SOUVENIR BOOKS, PROGRAMS.  I bought them all as I could find them.  Sometimes, they were given away free while they lasted!  (I got a free hardbacked "The Big Fisherman" souvenir book at a rerelease showing of that film).

I've since attempted to find as many souvenir books as I can.  I have a nice collection, but there are holes, oh! yes!, there are holes.

: )

No, but I have one for STAR! that I'm sure BK doesn't want.  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2004, 01:29:54 PM »

I also enjoyed DR RLP's walk down a memorable memory lane with films that meant t a great deal to him. Thanks for sharing such personal memories.

Panni

« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2004, 01:48:33 PM »

I say at the beginning of this that I do get VERY involved with films, plays, and TV. I sit there and believe every word and believe every sight I see.

My favorite kind of audience member!

Robin

« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »

I’ve never seen a "road show" presentation of a movie...they were before my time.  As for my favorite "epic" films (the official Topic of the Day), here are most of my favorites:

10 Commandments
Around the World in 80 Days
Gone With the Wind
It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Sound of Music
Star Trek:  The Motion Picture
Star Wars (a.k.a. "Star Wars IV: A New Hope")
West Side Story

I'm so glad someone has mentioned Star Trek: The Motion Picture; I admit it has it's faults, but it's still the only one of the movies that is actually epic in scope, and it's undoubtably one of my favorite SF pictures.  

And I simply love It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, and it's epic approach to comedy.  Famous face after famous face; the approach was so successful, it was re-used to lesser effect in The Greatest Story Ever Told, which was one of the first movies I clearly remember seeing in the theater.  It obviously wasn't the first movie I'd ever seen, though, since I thought John Wayne's appearance as the Roman centurion was hilarious even then.  

By the way, I was actually at the Washington DC premiere of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, with a bunch of fellow Trekkies that had done some promotional work for the movie.  A       few of my buddies actually are in the big "Captain Kirk shows what we're up against" scene.  And yes, William Shatner did fall asleep...even though we all in the nosebleed seats, we could see that very clearly.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2004, 01:52:32 PM »

Went to the post office earlier today to mail some packages. Got the new Henry Mancini stamp. Nice to see him honored in this way.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2004, 02:05:42 PM »

I agree about Henry Mancini. His music has resonated with the world for many, many decades, and this is a fitting tribute.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2004, 02:07:19 PM »

The song "Hey There" as originally performed in The Pajama Game, involves the John Raitt character singing into a tape recorder, playing the tape back, which means he can go on and sing a duet with himself.

Easier said than done!

Our methodology was this: I made a tape of the accompaniment.  The singer recorded, on to CD, his vocal line while listening to my accompaniment played into his earphone.  Now, when we get to the point where he starts the tape, we're briefly silent.  The tape begins, and then I begin live accompaniment.  Made my head spin.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2004, 02:08:03 PM »

RE programs - I still have quite a few of my movie programs, including two copies of the rarest of them all: Scent of Mystery in Smell-o-Vision.  They both have the little 45rpm insert of Eddie Fisher singing the title song.

Must get something to eat and then I'll return to our little zoo.  Finished doing my set of fixes and will now read it start to finish once again to make sure I'm happy with them.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2004, 02:13:58 PM »

Wonderful DRPANNI...it's the reaction I live for.

Well DRSTUART - I am shocked that you are so uninformed BUT:

Toreador pants are tight-fitting with a close fitting leg somewhat above the ankle.

The capri pants are tight fitting but come below the ankle, and might even include bootstraps (think Laura Petrie).

The clam digger of course is more full fitting and while its length is similar to the toreador pant - its leg opening is a regular pant width and might even include a cuff.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 02:15:51 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up