Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: CALL ME  (Read 11673 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: CALL ME
« Reply #210 on: April 07, 2010, 10:05:52 PM »

And then there's Indiana.  I'd probably fly in to Indianapolis (seems to be the only reasonable flight - have to change planes and stuff, too) on the 16th.  Would that night work for Jrand?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #211 on: April 07, 2010, 10:06:37 PM »

Another big big hit for Encores! This is the first production of ANYONE CAN WHISTLE that I've really enjoyed and been moved by. I thought the Carnegie Hall production would be wonderful and definitive, and it wasn't. This production makes the show work really well.

Donna Murphy is a star and she's very funny, I 've always thought in the past  Raul Esparza acted too much - he's one of the Victoria Clark "see how hard I'm acting" school - but I found him really charming and wonderful as Hapgood, and Sutton Foster is so moving and funny in her "Lady from Lourdes" costume and wig. The title song and the scene around it were beautifully done and very poignant, as was the farewell scene of "With So Little To Be Sure Of." Cora's henchmen, Jeff Blumenkrantz and Edward Hibbert, were really funny and I thought Casey's direction very clever and his choreography of "The Cookie Chase" stopped the show, a brilliant ballet parody, with the caged cookies emerging from the cage like the swans in "Swan Lake." My beloved Rob Berman's musical direction was excellent, and I kept wishing all evening that someone will record this production.

I was at City Center, too, earlier this evening for Anyone Can Whistle, and, yes... WOW! :)

The casting of the leads - Donna Murphy, Raul Esparza, Sutton Foster, Ed Hibbert and Jeff Blumenkrantz - was spot on, and the ensemble was wonderfully cast too.  -And included a bunch of close friends.

As DR elmore mentioned, "The Cookie Chase" stopped the show.  Some of the best choreography I've seen at Encores, and the best use of the somewhat limited stage-space too.  I was really hoping that Casey Nicholaw would have come out during the bows since he truly is one of the Stars of the show too!

The show is still a mess of ideas, but what a Glorious Mess it is!

There is a rumor about a recording.  Let's hope that rumor become a reality.
Make Your Own Luck.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #212 on: April 07, 2010, 10:10:17 PM »

DR George, thanks for posting the show dates, maybe I can still fly up in May.

If I have any money left after I look at my taxes.   Putting it off till the last minute.  Do not want to know how much I have to pay.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #213 on: April 07, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »

bk merciless  ;D never  ;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #214 on: April 07, 2010, 10:15:03 PM »

Night all .   Happy Thursday.    Smiles and cheers.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: April 07, 2010, 10:16:02 PM »

Oh...

I was originally scheduled to see Anyone Can Whistle on Sunday, but since I'll now be heading down to Richmond on Saturday for a gig - a couple of cabaret performances next week - the only night I could see the show was tonight.  I had made a few calls and sent out a few emails to some of my usual "sources", but no one had any extra tickets for tonight's IDR.  So, I decided to go ahead and head down to City Center and see if anyone had any extra tickets at the door.  City Center invites school groups to the IDR, and the school group leaders are usually outside with extra passes.  Well, tonight was not one of those nights.  I had almost given up hope of getting in, but then I happened to spot the "City Center Ticket Faerie" - well, that's what I call him.  I've seen him before.  He usually walks through the crowd with a pocket full of tickets, and he quietly gives them away to people who ask.  Well, I asked... "As a matter of fact, I do have a ticket for you. Here you are."  Thank You!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #216 on: April 07, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »

One reason that I love living where I live.

Gorgeous Pic, DR TCB!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2010, 10:27:24 PM »

And speaking of Mt. Rainier...

Although I can't make it out there for Brain, it does look like I'll finally be paying a visit to my aunt in Seattle sometime this summer, since my cousin will be getting married. -I haven't been back to Seattle since I was 9-years old.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #218 on: April 07, 2010, 10:29:50 PM »

I think I'll watch Cocoon - a movie I didn't much like when it came out - maybe it's aged well, though.

Oohh... "Cocoon".... Hmmm... Steve Guttenberg in swim trunks... Hmmm...

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »

I thought I knew everything Lindt makes.  I don't remember the white chocolate eggs. 

I used to purchase a mini bag of the Cadbury mini eggs every Easter.  Why I don't know since I'm not really crazy about them.  I would be willing to try peanut butter filled ones. ;)

DR Jane - The Lindt/Lindor White Chocolate Mini Eggs are a seasonal item. I think they've only been around two or three years.  -And, again, only available during the Easter season.  If the Lindt store on 5th Avenue happens to have some left, would you like me to send you some?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2010, 10:36:07 PM »

DR Jennifer - Are these the Peanut Butter Eggs in question?

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »

I don't think i've ever tried peanut butter M&Ms. That is different from peanut filled M&Ms right?

Um... Yes.  Peanut Butter v. Peanuts. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #222 on: April 07, 2010, 10:40:26 PM »

Another easter treat i tried which i have never tried before was a lindt white chocolate little egg. OMG so good. It is soft white chocolate on the inside. White chocolate is my favorite kind of chocolate. I've tried the lindt balls before, but never the eggs. If you like white chocolate i think you'd like these.

The Lindt/Lindor Mini Eggs are basically their Truffles (balls) in egg form/shape.  I like the Dark Chocolate and Double Milk ones.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: April 07, 2010, 10:41:30 PM »

Cilla "only" get pick up one day a week!  Do you know anyone who gets more than that?  Up until very recently we only had pick up twice a week.  The way we found out it was changed to once a week it that our nice large trash can was switched out to a small extremely narrow can. 

It was twice a week at the lake when I lived there

We have trash pick-up three times a week: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.  -With recycling coupled with the Saturday trash pick-up.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2010, 10:43:56 PM »

Back from the meeting.  The good news is that no matter what happens from here on in, I now own a piece of the show in perpetuity.  I asked everyone to take a month off, to gather comments from people who saw the show, send everything to me, yay and nay, so that I can put it all in one document categorized in columns of things that people thought worked and things that people thought didn't work.  The next draft of this show is going to go through a big change with many characters going away, plot points coming from characters we're actually interested in, and more focus on the things that actually work.  Everything that is not germane to the story is going away - I will be merciless about it.

Congrats, bk!

Had you considered asking/counseling the writers to take a break from working on "the long musical"?  Maybe even just a week or two before diving back into it.  It really does sound like they need to somehow come back to it with fresh eyes and ears in order to get any real work done on the show. -But that's just me...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: April 07, 2010, 10:45:28 PM »

Well...

This is one way to to void the warranty on your new iPad.

;D

Laughed and laughed!!!

That whole "Will It Blend?" series is a hoot!  -And a great way to vicariously work out any technology-related frustrations.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: April 07, 2010, 10:46:36 PM »

As for tonight's penultimate episode of "Ugly Betty"... :)

And I really will miss the show after it finishes up next week.  :(
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: April 07, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »

Back from the meeting.  The good news is that no matter what happens from here on in, I now own a piece of the show in perpetuity.  I asked everyone to take a month off, to gather comments from people who saw the show, send everything to me, yay and nay, so that I can put it all in one document categorized in columns of things that people thought worked and things that people thought didn't work.  The next draft of this show is going to go through a big change with many characters going away, plot points coming from characters we're actually interested in, and more focus on the things that actually work.  Everything that is not germane to the story is going away - I will be merciless about it.

Congrats, bk!

Had you considered asking/counseling the writers to take a break from working on "the long musical"?  Maybe even just a week or two before diving back into it.  It really does sound like they need to somehow come back to it with fresh eyes and ears in order to get any real work done on the show. -But that's just me...

Oh, that was the point of the meeting - we're taking a month off with no discussion of the show.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #228 on: April 07, 2010, 11:02:46 PM »

Congrats, bk!

Oh, that was the point of the meeting - we're taking a month off with no discussion of the show.

But they're still going to "gather comments from people who saw the show..." in the meantime?  Or will that be after the month off?

*And are you temporarily changing your phone number for a month? ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #229 on: April 07, 2010, 11:03:16 PM »

Anyhoo...

'Tis late... And I have a somewhat long day ahead of me tomorrow.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #230 on: April 07, 2010, 11:09:45 PM »

As for tonight's penultimate episode of "Ugly Betty"... :)

And I really will miss the show after it finishes up next week.  :(

I just finished watching it...it really was very good.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #231 on: April 07, 2010, 11:11:02 PM »

And now, I'm off.  I want to see if I can find some shorts to wear for a costume in The Brain From Planet X, and then visit Margo again.  I still need to get her car keys so that I can pick her up in her van tomorrow.

Until later!

are you the brain?

No, Dakota, I'm not...I'm Ensemble #6!  I'm in the chorus and I'm also the farmer, a news person and a beach party-goer and maybe something else.  I'm not sure. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #232 on: April 07, 2010, 11:12:04 PM »

I think my plan would be to come to see  George's production on April 30th.  Would there be time for a get-together after the Q&A?  I'd be leaving the following day.

It's a Friday night and TAO people are party people...so I'm sure that staying out late won't be a problem. :D

George

« Reply #233 on: April 07, 2010, 11:23:29 PM »

DR George, thanks for posting the show dates, maybe I can still fly up in May.

If I have any money left after I look at my taxes.   Putting it off till the last minute.  Do not want to know how much I have to pay.

I hope you can make it, but of course, there's no obligation.

George

« Reply #234 on: April 07, 2010, 11:26:46 PM »

I think I'll watch Cocoon - a movie I didn't much like when it came out - maybe it's aged well, though.

Oohh... "Cocoon".... Hmmm... Steve Guttenberg in swim trunks... Hmmm...

::)

It could be worse. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up