Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A DAME MAY WHITTY  (Read 10330 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A DAME MAY WHITTY
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 07:33:29 AM »

DR MATTH - I had avoided THE FUGITIVE KIND for a long time.....but I finally watched it last year - Joanne Woodward and Marlon Brando really both do a fine job....I was surprised I liked Woodward so much, I usually don't - but she didn't use her Actor's Studio schticks and tricks and she and Brando really have a great chemistry together....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 07:35:48 AM »

Page Two Fugitive Kind Dance.

Laura

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 07:47:19 AM »

I don't know from PIXAR.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 07:49:17 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Today I get to stay home and get ready for tonight's dinner guest, our DN (dear niece) Lauren, who's coming for a taco party in honor of the fact that her mother is vacationing this week in Mexico.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 07:56:28 AM »

With my DVR shot last night, I had to rely on the DVD recorder with a hard disc drive and connection to analog cable to record last night's CASTLE and DAMAGES. I should be able to pick up DAMAGES on HD On Demand, so I can likely delete that analog version without watching it, but I didn't want to take any chances on missing it. The show is nearing the end of its season, and has been sensational.

And as for last night's "Damages"... WOW!?!?!?!?  I really have no idea how they're going to wrap it all up next week.  -Although, it's going to be a 90-minute season finale.  -Which, I'm guessing will most likely leave a couple of set-ups for another season.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 08:19:38 AM »

I just prepared a bunch of packages for priority mail and as soon as I have an address confirmed in Germany, I can make a trip to the post office.

I think i'll do some OZ edits now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »

DR Ginny, how do you and Richard feel about a trek to Canton, OH?

The Canton Comic Opera Company, the only company in the world dedicated solely to the preservation and performance of American operettas, has just completed a restoration of the original 1903 musical extravaganza THE WIZARD OF OZ by Paul Tietjens and L. Frank Baum.  The work will be performed on July 10, 2010 at the historic Canton Palace Theatre in Canton, Ohio.  The fully staged production will feature a cast of 40 and the original orchestrations performed by a 30 piece orchestra.  This will mark the first production of the original 1903 THE WIZARD OF OZ with orchestra in over 80 years.  In addition, a special concert of cut and interpolated songs from THE WIZARD OF OZ 1902-1909 will be presented on July 9 featuring a lecture by Larry Moore on the history of THE WIZARD OF OZ and our restoration.

The Canton Comic Opera Company's 2010 summer season also includes a concert production with full orchestra of Victor Herbert's 1909 operetta THE ROSE OF ALGERIA on August 14 & 15. 

For more information and tickets visit http://www.cantoncomicoperaco.com
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 08:46:17 AM »

DR Elmore - congratulations on the Canton event.  I'll forward the info the Fr. Richard to see if he wants to take that Sunday off.  If not, maybe he'll grant me a dispensation and, at least, I'll be able to attend!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 08:47:17 AM »

Congratulations DR elmore!!! :D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 08:48:03 AM »

I must defend my Blu-ray.com colleague Ken Brown, who may have been one of the "twits" BK took to task in the notes over the reviews of LOTR on BD.  Ken is without a doubt one of the smartest, best writers I've encountered on the internets (not that that's saying a lot, LOL), and I find his reviews incisive and inerrantly well written.  Just my opinion, obviously.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 08:48:31 AM »

What a great event DR ELMORE!

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 08:54:35 AM »

DR Elmore - in the "weird coincidences" department, I've just started reading the latest installment in Rhys Bowen's Molly Murphy mystery series, The Last Illusion.  It's July, 1903, and Molly's Patchin Place neighbors take her to the Majestic to see The Wizard of Oz.  I just read this while having my first cup of coffee this morning...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 09:00:46 AM »

when Dame May Whitty came to MGM to work on MRS MINIVER there was some confusion among the crew about how to address her.....everyone was kind of on his own....

One of the many assistant directors finally took the bull by the horns, so to speak, and said to her:  "Okay, Dame, we'd like ya to stand over on this side."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 09:10:58 AM »

DR Elmore - in the "weird coincidences" department, I've just started reading the latest installment in Rhys Bowen's Molly Murphy mystery series, The Last Illusion.  It's July, 1903, and Molly's Patchin Place neighbors take her to the Majestic to see The Wizard of Oz.  I just read this while having my first cup of coffee this morning...

Does the book mention that it's not the current Majestic Theatre but one at Columbus Circle, built in 1902 and torn down, I believe, in the 1960s? The dates are good; the show left the Majestic in September 1903 and BABES IN TOYLAND moved in the first of October.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »

Congratulations DR elmore!!! :D

Pray for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2010, 09:22:27 AM »

Last night I watched the dvd NEW MOON.  I am a big Stephenie Meyer fan. And i have loved all of her books. But i was not crazy about the film TWILIGHT.

But I thought they did so much better with NEW MOON. Maybe the new director was just what they needed. I really enjoyed the movie. Not as much as the books, but still I really liked it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »

Well, a woman has been heard yelling in the bathroom of my upstairs neighbor. I can't tell if he's bothering her while she showers, if they're fighting, or she's got a splinter. I'm hoping he's killing her and they're both evicted.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2010, 09:33:41 AM »

I'm slowly catching up with the series.  When I'm done dreading "Dreamers of the Day" I'll begin "Danny Boy".

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2010, 09:41:44 AM »

Put the deck chairs back on the deck - put out the red wax begonias and white pietunias (hanging baskets) and blew all the dead leaves out of the ivy bed in front of the house.

I guess it's spring.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2010, 09:55:34 AM »

Does the book mention that it's not the current Majestic Theatre but one at Columbus Circle, built in 1902 and torn down, I believe, in the 1960s? The dates are good; the show left the Majestic in September 1903 and BABES IN TOYLAND moved in the first of October.

I figured it wasn't the same Majestic.  Here's what it says, on p. 25:

"So I was whisked off to the Majestic, in a rather more salubrious part of town..."

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 09:57:24 AM »

I'm slowly catching up with the series.  When I'm done dreading "Dreamers of the Day" I'll begin "Danny Boy".

DR Jane - I've thought of trying to put together a "Molly Murphy Walking Tour" of NYC.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »

But I lost the two hour BROTHERS & SISTERS which I'll have to find on the net, I suppose (ABC doesn't have On Demand on my cable system).

And I lost last year's Tony Awards which were still on the DVR because I hadn't taken the time to put it on a DVD-R and edited the commercials. Maybe one of you nice folks out there who records and keeps the Tonys can offer a replacement?

I lost GRAN TORINO, too, but it'll be on again. No big deal there.

I think I might still have last year's Tonys either on my dvr or Tivo, DR Matt.  If you are in no hurry for a copy, I'll make us both a copy sometime this week. (though I might have to use two discs to copy it to...)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 10:00:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: Shanghai!

And The Song Of The Day Is: (I'D LIKE TO GET YOU) ON A SLOW BOAT TO CHINA

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 10:06:04 AM »

There Was A Jewish-Chinese Restaurant In Brooklyn Called  SHANG-CHAI

td

• td
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 10:17:35 AM »

While doing some shelving, I watched the first fifteen minutes of THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, and found the image quite pleasing.  (When I bought the set last week, I immediately watched THE TWO TOWERS).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »

My favorite Pixar flick is RATATOUILLE.

td

• td
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »

My car is in the shop for it's brakes' rotor.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2010, 10:23:39 AM »

My work project today will be THE FUGITIVE KIND, the Sidney Lumet adaptation of Tennessee Williams' ORPHEUS DESCENDING. I've never seen the entire film, so I'm really looking forward to it. It's only on DVD, though. Criterion, for some reason, didn't deem this movie worthy of a Blu-ray release. (But VIVRE SA VIE and SUMMER HOURS were worthy? Strange decisions.)

I watched this 2 nights ago.  Not one of Williams' best.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2010, 10:23:54 AM »

Vibes for DR td's  car.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2010, 10:24:20 AM »

My work project today will be THE FUGITIVE KIND, the Sidney Lumet adaptation of Tennessee Williams' ORPHEUS DESCENDING. I've never seen the entire film, so I'm really looking forward to it. It's only on DVD, though. Criterion, for some reason, didn't deem this movie worthy of a Blu-ray release. (But VIVRE SA VIE and SUMMER HOURS were worthy? Strange decisions.)

I watched this 2 nights ago.  Not one of Williams' best.

But Marlon is Marlon......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up