Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN I'M EIGHTY  (Read 11035 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: WHEN I'M EIGHTY
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 07:30:30 AM »

TOD:  I am not sure any of my favorite moves HAD a premiere as such....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

A few good ones have certainly been mentioned.....

Maybe the GIANT premiere in Hollywood.....

Well, I am agog that JR wouldn't want to be in Seattle on November 12, 1936 for the gala fete honoring Miss Frances Farmer and her starring turn in COME AND GET IT.   ;)

It would have been cold and wet in Seattle in November.

::)

Well, she only occasionally threw drinks at people.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 07:36:38 AM »

Good morning!

It was chilly, brisk morning today, and I enjoyed my walk more than yesterday. I might have started losing some of the weight I picked up last week because the walk was definitely not as tiring as yesterday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 07:38:29 AM »

I've been expecting a UPS package all morning, but OF COURSE it hasn't come yet. Doesn't have anything to do with a review copy. Something else I bought that is due to be delivered today. With my luck, it'll be one of those late afternoon deliveries.

Oy!

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:40 AM »

I guess I will go ahead and review WALKABOUT on Blu-ray this afternoon. I haven't seen the movie in decades, so I'm looking forward to experiencing it again. SHould be a good afternoon. And it's always nice to get back into review-harness after being away from it since Friday.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 07:41:22 AM »

I don't undersand the reasoning behind LOST being a repeat tonight, but it is. It's the Richard Alpert episode, and while I enjoyed it, I don't really want to rewatch it. However, I'm assuming there will be squeegees added to the show, and they might be fun, so I will likely DVR the show. I'll watch it tomorrow when I'm eating lunch.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 07:42:55 AM »

New programming tonight includes NCIS (yay!), GLEE (double yay!), and IDOL (meh...). I'd be fine with dropping IDOL, but the guys I eat lunch with on Thursday still want to watch and talk about it, so I'm going along grudgingly.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 07:43:54 AM »

I remember those BONES episodes, DR Elmore, and I'm looking forward to getting to those, too. I was SO glad they finally captured the Gravedigger, and I was astonished with the revelation.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »

TOD

I was at The Premiere in New York City August 28 1951 of A PLACE IN THE SUN,,,,,,,,Very Exciting!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 07:45:39 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I thought I just saw some sunlight lighting up the back patio... But now I'm starting to think it was a mirage.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 07:46:53 AM »

TOD:

The film clips make the premiere of the 1954 A STAR IS BORN look very exciting and star-studded. And I would love to have seen the entire original version of the movie.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 07:50:28 AM »

I don't undersand the reasoning behind LOST being a repeat tonight, but it is. It's the Richard Alpert episode, and while I enjoyed it, I don't really want to rewatch it. However, I'm assuming there will be squeegees added to the show, and they might be fun, so I will likely DVR the show. I'll watch it tomorrow when I'm eating lunch.

And it appears the repeat of "Lost" is currently messing up the "Lost" portion of ABC's website right now. It keeps trying to bring up a video that is "no longer available".
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2010, 07:50:29 AM »

Like JRAnd, few, if any, of my favorite movies had premiers, however I think it might have been fun to be at the premiers for SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVER BROTHERS (just to see the cast) and ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS (to see the cast and all the Universal stock players who no doubt were forced to attend)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2010, 07:51:33 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

"The Singing Cavalier"

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2010, 07:59:55 AM »

DR JoseSPiano:  Thanks for sharing about your friend's visit to Oakland and his take on La Farine.  It's nice to have access to that little piece of heaven when only French pastries will do!!!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:55:24 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2010, 08:05:25 AM »

BK:  I kow nothing about a td shout-out, but I do know that Joe was making a stink over at FilmScoreMonthly Messageboard about him being misquoted in a story over at TheJudyRoom written by a guy whose last name is Brogan.

Joe is just beside himself that this guy quoted him "inaccurately" (or, out of context, it's not really clear given his penchant for rambling)...although Joe said much of what he related was off-the-record/not-for-publication.

What can anyone expect?  He has, for quite some time, been unable to differentiate his fantasies from reality...often interjecting himself into experiences others have had and relating them to others as his own.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:55:04 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2010, 08:07:36 AM »

BK and other Blu-ray player owners:

Blu-ray players are not simple players.  They are computers.  They have to be upgraded to keep up with the software advances taking place month to month.

These advances are NOT deal-breakers. 

I have circumvented having to do two upgrades by simply plugging a "flash drive" into the back of my Blu-ray player.   Why did I do this?  I read about it -- it gives the BD player more memory...and that memory has allowed me to play BD discs that would not play before I added the flash drive.

"Avatar" played beautifully.  Not a hitch. 

I recommend trying this.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2010, 08:08:57 AM »

FedEx truck just pulled up and then pulled away. Alas, my package is UPS, not FedEx. Argh!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2010, 08:10:03 AM »

And now the St. Olaf Glee Club performs..

Betty White Lines
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2010, 08:10:11 AM »

I am eagerly awaiting my BD copy of "Out of Africa" today.   

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »

BK, as to your mention yesterday about my interest in the CD for LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, Fred Katz has never been a big favorite of mine, although I do admit to having some fondness for his score to WASP WOMAN (which might actually be the same as the score to LSOH). LSOH is a CD that I may like to buy eventually, but right at this moment my finances are in seriously bad shape so my purchasing power has been greatly curtailed

I am saving up for your autobiography, which I simply can't pass up, but I will have to wait until payday before I can order it as I no longer have any credit cards, only cash monies.

And as for my favorites, I know that you know what I want to see released on CD! Some Albert Glasser, DAY OF THE OUTLAW, some soundtracks to assorted Allied Artists and United Artists B movies, and other more obscure things like that would be wonderful (some great Drive-in double feature soundtracks from 50s teen films or B noir, for instance would be fun)

Please know, BK, that I support the wonderful work Kritzerland is doing in releasing all of these soundtracks, regardless of if they are ones that interest me or not. You are doing a great service in preserving valuable film music and film history and that is something I applaud!!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2010, 08:13:39 AM »

BK and other Blu-ray player owners:

Blu-ray players are not simple players.  They are computers.  They have to be upgraded to keep up with the software advances taking place month to month.

These advances are NOT deal-breakers. 

I have circumvented having to do two upgrades by simply plugging a "flash drive" into the back of my Blu-ray player.   Why did I do this?  I read about it -- it gives the BD player more memory...and that memory has allowed me to play BD discs that would not play before I added the flash drive.

"Avatar" played beautifully.  Not a hitch. 

I recommend trying this.

I mentioned this the other day. My older Samsung Blu-ray player played AVATAR without a problem (at least as much as I was willing to rewatch at 11 p.m. at night), but it does have the flash drive plugged into the back and it does have updated firmware.

I think, bk, that you can go to the Samsung website, type in your model number (BDP-1600 or whatever it is), and it will show you the link to the latest firmware for that model. Then you can open that link and burn your own CD update disc. You don't have to be have your player connected to the internet (although that is the easiest way since it does inform you about updates automatically when they become available).

Yes, a little trouble, but it will allow you to keep your equipment up to date. As DR Ron said, these players are much more like computers than DVD players and require some upgrades to stay current. No different that your downloading updates for your iPhone or different Mac operating system updates.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:17:25 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2010, 08:14:47 AM »

I got the shipping notice for it and APOLLO 13 yesterday, so I guess I'll get mine tomorrow or Thursday (at the earliest).

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2010, 08:20:10 AM »

I guess I'll go ahead and finish up here and then head downstairs to start preparing lunch. I only have NURSE JACKIE from last night on the DVR which I'll likely have on while I cooking something to eat. I'll probably put on another BONES episode while I eat lunch. (I didn't record last night's CASTLE rerun; it's my least favorite episode that they've broadcast.)

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2010, 08:20:20 AM »

Oh, rats!

WBBL.

JMK

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2010, 08:26:22 AM »

Tell me if yours "grinds" the way my review copy did--very interested to hear.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2010, 08:27:41 AM »

Congratulations to CRAIG BROCKMAN!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2010, 08:27:49 AM »

Have I mentioned how FUNKALICIOUS Incognito is?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2010, 08:28:34 AM »

Oh yes, DR JMK - I would love to have been at the premiere of COME & GET IT in Seattle.....I am sure it was much more exciting than it was presented in FRANCES.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2010, 08:43:07 AM »

Oh yes, DR JMK - I would love to have been at the premiere of COME & GET IT in Seattle.....I am sure it was much more exciting than it was presented in FRANCES.....

I think that scene in FRANCES was shot at the Paramount Theater, where I spent many wonderful Saturday afternoons of my youth.

Since it's been about 5-7 years since I've been back to Seattle, are any of the old downtown theaters still there?

i.e.  Paramount, 5th Avenue, Roosevelt, Colonial, Music Hall, Roosevelt, Palomar, Blue Mouse, Music Box

You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2010, 08:54:34 AM »

MAY DAY! MAY DAY!

On May 1st-  CRAIG SAMUEL BROCKMAN (Remember Him) will give his hand in Marriage to HEATHER LILY HARRIS in Washington D.C.

Congratulations to The Happy Couple.

Very exciting!!! :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up