Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NINE VERY HEAVY BOXES  (Read 12210 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: NINE VERY HEAVY BOXES
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 07:03:07 AM »

Does this take us to page two?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 07:03:19 AM »

It does! Page Two Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 07:23:12 AM »

Well, that just about finishes up my morning internet surf. Time to head down and check out last night's IDOL performances before I start thinking about preparing some lunch.

WBBL.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 07:27:58 AM »

I have a rather odd ask BK (or indeed anyone who knows) question:  in animated films, when the camera pans or tracks, how is that accomplished?  Is it part of the animation, or do they do extra wide cels (or CGI or whatever) and then pan the camera over the entire expanse?  This came up in a dream of mine last night so I figured it was a sign to ask the cognoscenti here at HHW.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 07:33:43 AM »

DR JENNIFER KAUFFMAN - it has always been my thought that the camera is stationary and the background moves.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 07:35:53 AM »

DR JENNIFER KAUFFMAN - it has always been my thought that the camera is stationary and the background moves.

Yes, but what if it's the background and foreground characters?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 07:37:35 AM »

I had a number of VERY odd dreams last night, including one where I was somewhere south of Portland in a little town attending a funeral.  I needed to get home, but there was no ride, and I was also evidently supposed to push an upright piano back to Portland.  I remember quite clearly the piano was outside and it was raining and I thought how pointless it was for me to even try to push it back to Portland  I gave up on the piano and started walking, but it was very snowy.  I discovered I was not on the interstate north and some guy took me to some sort of public house where I bribed someone to drive me back home.  Odd, to say the least.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »

Yes, but what if it's the background and foreground characters?

They both move while the camera stays stationary.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 07:46:35 AM »

I had a number of VERY odd dreams last night, including one where I was somewhere south of Portland in a little town attending a funeral.  I needed to get home, but there was no ride, and I was also evidently supposed to push an upright piano back to Portland.  I remember quite clearly the piano was outside and it was raining and I thought how pointless it was for me to even try to push it back to Portland  I gave up on the piano and started walking, but it was very snowy.  I discovered I was not on the interstate north and some guy took me to some sort of public house where I bribed someone to drive me back home.  Odd, to say the least.

According to the Dream-0-Matic 6000, these dreams reflect some mixed feelings about leaving the current home and some doubts about the new home - however you are determined to make the move and to make it work because you know wherever your family AND your work are....that is home.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »

Re: Last night's "Glee" episode:

That arrangement of "One Less Bell To Answer/A House is Not a Home" is the same (to my ears) arrangement Streisand sang back in the 70s (on the "Barbra Joan Streisand" album, IIRC).  It's one of my all-time favorite arrangements of two of my favorite songs.

Alas, alack, alarum -- I recorded "Glee" but I forgot to add minutes.   Right in the middle of the song from "The Wiz", the recording stopped.   Ack-ack-ack.  And I love that song, too.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 08:06:59 AM »

Another Blu-ray disc I watched this past weekend is "The Young Victoria".   It's quite a wonderful film based upon historical records/diaries/etc.  Emily Blunt as Victoria and Ruper Friend as Albert are excellent.  The entire supporting cast is also superb.   

The kick in the groin, however, is the end credits.   This film ends wonderfully well but the producers or director decdied to destroy every wonderful mood their film created and tacked on a "poppish" song at the end...decidedly out of character for everything that went before.

I threw up in my mouth....a litle bit.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 08:07:09 AM »

re: last night's GLEE

I agree and disagree with what was already posted. 

I liked the episode.  And obviously if you have kristin chenoweth it is great to have her sing a lot (which they did). It was also great to hear her do duets with matthew Morrison (who doesn't get to sing as much as he should). And i was okay with them not focusing on rachel.  BUT since the show is called GLEE and it is about the GLEE club i think it's a mistake for them not to show the glee club singing. That is my favorite part of the show usually, watching the glee club get to perform a number.  They were on for like 2 seconds at the end. But to me the episode would have been more balanced if we'd gotten to see the glee club too.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 08:08:35 AM »

re: last night's GLEE

I agree and disagree with what was already posted. 

I liked the episode.  And obviously if you have kristin chenoweth it is great to have her sing a lot (which they did). It was also great to hear her do duets with matthew Morrison (who doesn't get to sing as much as he should). And i was okay with them not focusing on rachel.  BUT since the show is called GLEE and it is about the GLEE club i think it's a mistake for them not to show the glee club singing. That is my favorite part of the show usually, watching the glee club get to perform a number.  They were on for like 2 seconds at the end. But to me the episode would have been more balanced if we'd gotten to see the glee club too.

Didn't the "glee club" join Mercedes on the gymnasium floor and back her up along with other schoolmates and the Cheerios?

I find the "club" numbers less interesting, overall, than the solo or duet turns.  Their vocals become more a processed sound than a blended one.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:11:04 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 08:08:46 AM »

Re: Last night's "Glee" episode:

That arrangement of "One Less Bell To Answer/A House is Not a Home" is the same (to my ears) arrangement Streisand sang back in the 70s (on the "Barbra Joan Streisand" album, IIRC).  It's one of my all-time favorite arrangements of two of my favorite songs.

Alas, alack, alarum -- I recorded "Glee" but I forgot to add minutes.   Right in the middle of the song from "The Wiz", the recording stopped.   Ack-ack-ack.  And I love that song, too.

You probably only missed less than a minute. But you should be able to catch it on fox.com.

JMK

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »

There was either a Streisand special with Bacharach or a Bacharach special with Streisand where they discussed how Burt first offered One Less Bell to Streisand before the 5th Dimension.  She didn't like the bridge, IIRC.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:08 AM »

Loved the "pop-up" repeat of the Richard Alpert episode of "Lost" last night.   I hope there is a strong tie to next week's episode (only four new ones left).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2010, 08:13:11 AM »

There was either a Streisand special with Bacharach or a Bacharach special with Streisand where they discussed how Burt first offered One Less Bell to Streisand before the 5th Dimension.  She didn't like the bridge, IIRC.

I don't remember that discussion, but I remember the special with Burt playing piano as Streisand sang.   I WANT THAT SPECIAL ON DVD AND I WANT IT NOW!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2010, 08:20:02 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I guess that Ti
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2010, 08:20:28 AM »

me Warner is doing some work in the neighborhood today. Our cable and inte
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2010, 08:21:04 AM »

rnet keeps going in and out.  Lots of "modem flashing" going on.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2010, 08:28:42 AM »

RIP Dorothy Provine (sorry TCB  :-\  )

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND —

Dorothy Provine, part Hollywood blond bombshell and part girl next door, has died.

The Bainbridge Island resident and former film and television actress succumbed to emphysema on Sunday morning at Hospice of Kitsap County in Bremerton, according to her husband, veteran director Robert Day.

She was 75, according to her husband.

“Beautiful,” was how a broken-hearted Day responded when asked to describe his wife, best-known for her role in the 1963 blockbuster “It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.”

Day said he married Provine in Las Vegas 43 years ago, and soon after she left acting. They had one son.

“I mean, we both loved each other so much,” Day said.

The couple came to Bainbridge Island about 20 years ago, and both, especially Dorothy, kept very much to themselves.

“She was very reserved. We really didn’t socialize very much,” Day said.

But they enjoyed their private world.

The couple used to go for drives on the island, and she loved watching movies, but even more, enjoying a good book.

“That was her main joy,” Day said.

The couple lived on Finch Road, and their son lived on the same property.

Provine was at Harrison Medical Center in Bremerton last week.

“She was clearly suffering,” said her attending physician, Dr. Rana Tan.

Tan is also the director of “Cabaret” at Bremerton Community Theatre. On Thursday, nine cast members appeared at the hospital, and with a piano moved from the lobby to Provine’s second-floor room, they sang song after song from the popular musical. Provine, still stunning, slim and blond hair in a ponytail, smiled widely and wiggled her toes in delight as she sat up in bed and listened.

“We probably sang about six, six or seven songs,” Tan tallied. “She was absolutely beside herself.”

But the “Cabaret” cast members, perhaps unknowingly, were singing the final swan song for a famous actress.

“I think it was a greater experience for us,” Tan said.

A little more than two days later, Provine was dead.

Provine was born Jan. 20, 1935, in Deadwood, S.D. and attended the University of Washington. She was at home both on the big screen and on the one in living rooms.

Her flawless face with wide smile and blond bouffant were common on TV during the 1950s and 1960s. But it was her role as Pinky Pinkham, the not-to-be-forgotten flapper in “The Roaring ‘20s” that captured the imagination of many.

Some of her movies included “The Bonnie Parker Story” (1958), a role she got just three days after arriving in Hollywood, according to the Internet Movie Database at imdb.com. Movies that followed included “Riot in Juvenile Prison” (1959); “Live Fast, Die Young” (1958) and “The 30-Foot Bride of Candy Rock “(1959). Her last movies before her early departure from acting included “Good Neighbor Sam” (1964); and “Never a Dull Moment” (1968).

Fittingly, no public service is planned.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2010, 08:35:54 AM »

Oh no, DRMBARNUM.

Thanks for posting this.

Very sad......and I had just put her Oh You Kid! LP on Cd to use as house music for HELLO DOLLY!

JMK

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2010, 08:40:35 AM »

As I have probably posted before, Dorothy was best friend and sorority sister of the wife of one of my Dad's Sears employees.  I remember M.A. (the friend/sorority sister) taking us to see whatever that Jack Lemmon/Provine film was (Good Neighbor Sam maybe?) and talking about Dorothy.  I'm pretty sure they kept in touch and in fact M.A. and husband ended up in Seattle, so maybe they still were close.

JMK

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »

I just did a quick Google on M.A.'s husband, who was my swimming teacher when I was a kid, and got this cool result, after Thad had just returned from the Olympics:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1338&dat=19520905&id=RZ8VAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZfYDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4790,1941305

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »

Dorothy's most famous Television series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjBoBtViwmI&feature=related

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2010, 08:46:11 AM »

I would have thought "The Great Race" would have been Dorothy Provine's most memorable (i.e. seen-by-more-people) role in films.  For me, however, it's "The Roaring Twenties" that introduced -- and solidified -- her place as a superb entertainer/actress.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2010, 08:48:40 AM »

DR JoseSP

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2010, 08:48:52 AM »

iano:  Now c

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2010, 08:48:59 AM »

ut that out!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2010, 09:00:06 AM »

RIP Dorothy Provine (sorry TCB  :-\  )

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND —

Dorothy Provine, part Hollywood blond bombshell and part girl next door, has died.

The Bainbridge Island resident and former film and television actress succumbed to emphysema on Sunday morning at Hospice of Kitsap County in Bremerton, according to her husband, veteran director Robert Day.

She was 75, according to her husband.

“Beautiful,” was how a broken-hearted Day responded when asked to describe his wife, best-known for her role in the 1963 blockbuster “It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.”

Day said he married Provine in Las Vegas 43 years ago, and soon after she left acting. They had one son.

“I mean, we both loved each other so much,” Day said.

The couple came to Bainbridge Island about 20 years ago, and both, especially Dorothy, kept very much to themselves.

“She was very reserved. We really didn’t socialize very much,” Day said.

But they enjoyed their private world.

The couple used to go for drives on the island, and she loved watching movies, but even more, enjoying a good book.

“That was her main joy,” Day said.

The couple lived on Finch Road, and their son lived on the same property.

Provine was at Harrison Medical Center in Bremerton last week.

“She was clearly suffering,” said her attending physician, Dr. Rana Tan.

Tan is also the director of “Cabaret” at Bremerton Community Theatre. On Thursday, nine cast members appeared at the hospital, and with a piano moved from the lobby to Provine’s second-floor room, they sang song after song from the popular musical. Provine, still stunning, slim and blond hair in a ponytail, smiled widely and wiggled her toes in delight as she sat up in bed and listened.

“We probably sang about six, six or seven songs,” Tan tallied. “She was absolutely beside herself.”

But the “Cabaret” cast members, perhaps unknowingly, were singing the final swan song for a famous actress.

“I think it was a greater experience for us,” Tan said.

A little more than two days later, Provine was dead.

Provine was born Jan. 20, 1935, in Deadwood, S.D. and attended the University of Washington. She was at home both on the big screen and on the one in living rooms.

Her flawless face with wide smile and blond bouffant were common on TV during the 1950s and 1960s. But it was her role as Pinky Pinkham, the not-to-be-forgotten flapper in “The Roaring ‘20s” that captured the imagination of many.

Some of her movies included “The Bonnie Parker Story” (1958), a role she got just three days after arriving in Hollywood, according to the Internet Movie Database at imdb.com. Movies that followed included “Riot in Juvenile Prison” (1959); “Live Fast, Die Young” (1958) and “The 30-Foot Bride of Candy Rock “(1959). Her last movies before her early departure from acting included “Good Neighbor Sam” (1964); and “Never a Dull Moment” (1968).

Fittingly, no public service is planned.

I remember when I was in the UW Drama Dept.  They always talked about Dorothy Provine as one of those who "made it". 

I'm sorry that our paths never crossed.
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up