Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SAY A LITTLE PRAYER  (Read 14372 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: SAY A LITTLE PRAYER
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2010, 07:24:11 AM »

Well, Fox came through with their review copies on release day, so I see now what my work projects will be for the rest of the week. Today will be TOOTH FAIRY on Blu-ray.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2010, 07:24:21 AM »

Page Three Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2010, 07:25:36 AM »

TOD:

I'm not much of a jewelry wearer either. I don't even typically wear a wristwatch. I did love my college ring, but my fingers have long since gotten too big for it, and now I'm just used to my fingers being bare.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2010, 07:25:44 AM »

And isn't is odd that Jonathan Tunick is nominated for PROMISES, PROMISES?  I mean, it's nice that his groundbreaking work will be officially recognized after all these years, but, well, how much work did he have to do for the revival?

Knowing Jonathan, I'm sure it's all new. He may have dragged out his old scores for reference but he's probably got all new routines and keys to deal with in all the original songs, two interpolations, and all new dance music. I'm sure he earned every penny and he was the production's best choice to orchestrate.

Oh.  That's okay, then.

Thanks for explaining that, DR Elmore!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2010, 07:26:15 AM »

Now, I'm going to tidy up a few office matters and then head downstairs to get ready to cook some lunch and then get down to the business of viewing for the day.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2010, 07:27:04 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I still miss my high school class ring. I believe I left it on a practice room piano one too many times during college.  The first time, it was turned into the office - thankfully, my name was engraved "inside". The second time, well... :(

When I was in grade school, I bought a crucifix at the National Cathedral, and I wore that around my neck for years. I believe it's sitting in my mom's jewelry box.

I have a ring that I wear occasionally - it's a titanium band with a streak of blue in the middle. Alas, every time I take it off to play, I usually don't end up putting it back on my finger until I find it in the bottom of my bag a few weeks, if not months later.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »

I still miss my high school class ring. I believe I left it on a practice room piano one too many times during college.  The first time, it was turned into the office - thankfully, my name was engraved "inside". The second time, well... :(

When I was in grade school, I bought a crucifix at the National Cathedral, and I wore that around my neck for years. I believe it's sitting in my mom's jewelry box.

I have a ring that I wear occasionally - it's a titanium band with a streak of blue in the middle. Alas, every time I take it off to play, I usually don't end up putting it back on my finger until I find it in the bottom of my bag a few weeks, if not months later.

This is a serious question. Why do you (and/or other musicians) take off your ring(s) or jewelry when you're playing an instrument?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2010, 07:38:24 AM »

This is a serious question. Why do you (and/or other musicians) take off your ring(s) or jewelry when you're playing an instrument?

And here is your serious answer:

Unless it's a simple wedding band, most rings interfere with the range of motion of the fingers. Depending on the instrument one plays, they can also rub up against the other fingers while playing.  Additionally, even though they (can) weigh next to nothing, that extra weight can affect one's "balance".

*There were always stories that Liberace used his rings as "weights" - as if he was building up the muscles in his fingers.  He could play faster without them on. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2010, 08:21:13 AM »

I guess I haven't been paying much attention lately as the Tony nominations left me bored and uninterested this year (as last year)

TOD - the DP and I had personalized pendants made in Mexico with our names spelled out in Mayan letters.  He has mine and I have his.  I wear it around my neck 24/7, he wears his occasionally. (no comment here).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2010, 08:35:39 AM »

The VAIO will not return home before Friday....and since i work on Friday....probably not until Monday.  Oh well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2010, 08:43:21 AM »

My sister in NC is going through a rough spell.  Her husband had to declare bankruptcy with his business and he is now needing emergency surgery for a troubling condition which I won't go into here.  They have had to sell their home in Raleigh and are moving permanently to their "vacation" home on Emerald Isle.  They certainly have enough money to retire on comfortably, but they're having their share of problems right now.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2010, 09:06:54 AM »

Other than a mood ring back when I was in 6th grade, I have not had jewelry until just the last few years.

Now I have two necklaces from Nepal, one features Chenrezig, the Buddha of compassion and the other has the "om mani padme hum" on it. I also have a bracelet with the same mantra on it.

I usually try to wear one of the three just to remind me to be compassionate towards others. It comes in handy when driving in traffic or shopping in a crowded store.

I have a ring with an Om sign on it, but I find it somewhat uncomfortable to wear, so I usually don't.

I do have a nice, inexpensive watch by Fossil that I often get compliments on.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:09:16 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2010, 09:08:42 AM »

Vibes for your sister and brother-in-law, DR JMK.

Going through some major financial issues currently myself, I can understand some of what they are going through.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2010, 09:19:34 AM »

Other than a mood ring back when I was in 6th grade, I have not had jewelry until just the last few years.

Now I have two necklaces from Nepal, one features Chenrezig, the Buddha of compassion and the other has the "om mani padme hum" on it. I also have a bracelet with the same mantra on it.

I usually try to wear one of the three just to remind me to be compassionate towards others. It comes in handy when driving in traffic or shopping in a crowded store.

I have a ring with an Om sign on it, but I find it somewhat uncomfortable to wear, so I usually don't.

I do have a nice, inexpensive watch by Fossil that I often get compliments on.

You lost your mood ring?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »

I was hoping to hear some good jewelry stories, but many here are like me - I have 0.  I never wore my wedding ring, I have never worn a wristwatch or chain or bracelet, and I have only owned one ring since I've been eighteen - a fantastic opal in a simple setting - and I wore that until I did the pilot with George Kennedy in 1979 - I lost it on that shoot and have never worn a stitch of jewelry since.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2010, 09:34:16 AM »

I'm up, CDs did indeed arrive so helper should be here shortly and we'll get all this out by noon.  That said, someone who must have bought the book on amazon left me a Facebook message saying he'd really liked it - so nice to hear.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2010, 09:34:59 AM »

* * * * *  HEALTH AND PROSPERITY VIBES FOR DR JMK'S SISTER AND HER FAMILY  * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2010, 09:47:57 AM »

Vibes to DR JMK's sister!

MONEY VIBES TO DR MBARNUM AND ALL WHO NEED THEM!!

Laura

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2010, 09:48:47 AM »

Vibes to JMK's sister and family. And to MBarnum as well.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2010, 09:51:13 AM »

TOD:  Not much for jewelry. I worked for a costume jewelry company once. Made me appreciate the good stuff, which I can't afford. I took my wedding ring off when my fingers were swelling when I was expecting DR Sandra. My fingers never did get small enough after that to wear it again. I wear only one pair of small 14k earrings
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:58:25 AM by Laura »
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2010, 09:51:28 AM »

* * * * *  PROSPERITY VIBES FOR DR MBARNUM  * * * * *
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2010, 09:59:22 AM »

Jose, Van Leeuwen has parked their truck in my neighborhood. Any recommendations?

Also, when does the BGICT (AKA The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck) reappear? You being friends with the owner and all I thought you might know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »

As I knew she would, our darling stalker 3D Diffusion went to the Film Score board after reading (always reading - obsessively reading every day, every notes, every post) and tried to shift everything onto me - not possible, of course, because the thread speaks for itself, but she tried, oh, yes, she tried.  And I simply pointed out that the dear girl is an obsessive stalker who follows me wherever I go and tries to stir up trouble.  Some things never change.

Ben

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2010, 10:02:55 AM »

I almost had a spit take moment at work today.

The text of a grant came in on a Foundation's grant list. The indexer looked at the grant and it went through a spell check program AND it was looked at by a human being. It took a third human being, who was looking at the grant for a different reason, to catch the "error". No spell check program would have caught this.

I think there is a Freudian slip somewhere in this text  ;D

“For early childhood education and social services for children and parenting education for mothers whore undergoing substance abuse treatment”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »

And that's that.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2010, 10:15:46 AM »

Jose, Van Leeuwen has parked their truck in my neighborhood. Any recommendations?

Also, when does the BGICT (AKA The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck) reappear? You being friends with the owner and all I thought you might know.

DR Ben - As for Van Leeuwen, if the Red Currants and Cream is available - GET IT! Otherwise, their Mint Chip, Strawberry, Ginger or Earl Grey.

The BGICT will be back out tomorrow.  Doug had three big events this past weekend, and he's still at home recovering from them.  *You can check for the trucks location and schedule on Twitter: http://twitter.com/biggayicecream or check for updates on their SITE.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »

It's a shame my sister is not here to discuss today's TOD.  She has not one, not two, but three of those jewelry amoires.  She is especially fond of opals and Southwestern/Indian style turquoise.

Some jewelry lore I have heard over the years:

Do not give onyx as a gift--it brings bad luck.

Pearls bring tears.

Opals will bring bad luck if they are not your birthstone.

Diamonds are a girl's best friend.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »

DR Ben - Van Leeuwen has also started serving Intelligentsia coffee and some pretty tasty pastries too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2010, 10:26:54 AM »

Mmm, sounds good. Anthony is on Long Island until tomorrow. I may indulge. I see lines at their truck and I know the name so it's time I partook.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2010, 10:34:25 AM »

TOD:  When I was younger, I very much liked cuff links, but had very few opportunities to wear them, because I had few shirts with French cuffs.  As that is still a problem with most of the dress shirts I wear.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up