Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DEMOGRAPHICS  (Read 11232 times)

Kerry

Re: DEMOGRAPHICS
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 06:05:44 AM »

Happy, happy birthday, dear George!!!!!   Perhaps you can all celebrate tomorrow night when you get together. 
I like boat races.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 06:39:05 AM »

Seems like the Tony Nominations provided a rude wake-up about something I've railed about all season long:

Those powers-that-be, the producers, only gave us two musicals with original scores this year.

So, as has happened many times before, the "Best Score" category includes music from non-musicals.

Make you mad?  Want to do something about it?  I have a modest proposal:

NEVER pay money to see a musical that uses pre-existing music, not written for the theatre.  That means, this season, boycott “American Idiot” 'Million Dollar Quartet' 'Everyday Rapture' “Fela!” and “Come Fly Away,”

ONLY pay money to see the musicals that were written for the theatre.  I realize that the ever-popular Mary Poppins and The Lion King are hard to categorize, as half their songs were written for the original Disney films, half weren't.

If every theatre-goer followed my modest proposal, you'd see plenty of original musicals open on Broadway each season.  The public, voting with ticket purchases, has to state its preference.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 06:49:15 AM »

Good morning!

It was a good nine degrees cooler this morning than yesterday morning, so I really enjoyed the walk this morning.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 06:51:06 AM »

Looks like my work project for today will be the Blu-ray of ELEKTRA. I never saw this sequel to DAREDEVIL, so since I like Jennifer Garner so much, I am looking forward to seeing it regardless of its lack of popularity when it was first released.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 06:52:11 AM »

I have last night's LOST and IDOL to watch today at some point. I understand last night was Sinatra night on IDOL, so hearing his hits sung by THOSE singers should make for an interesting program.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 06:53:07 AM »

And, of course, nothing on TV tonight for me except a new MODERN FAMILY. Nice to have a night midweek where shows are thin on the ground and I can get a chance to catch up with other things to watch.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 06:53:23 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR George!

Have a wonderful day!

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 06:53:42 AM »

Happiest of Happy Birthdays to DR George!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 06:56:05 AM »

I also want to try to finish that GARBO documentary that I started last night. Since she made all of her American films for MGM, it's nice that TCM had instant access to them for this feature. Of course, it's not an exhaustive study of her work either. Skipped right from ANNA CHRISTIE to GRAND HOTEL and then to QUEEN CHRISTINA and looks like ANNA KARENINA will be next.

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 07:00:57 AM »

re: last night's LOST

SPOILERS

blah blah and then we said blah two four six and then there were two and the man went up the tree to and two the man went up the tree
one two three and then one two four and we went up and down and jack and kate and then sawyer came and one two three four and then
I didn't really love last night's show.  The alternate stuff with jack and locke was just okay. And the stuff on the island really didn't do it for me. I don't know if i believe the sad part is true. I was expecting to see them walking on the beach. But if it is true then i can understand why so many people are pissed at the writers.  Even if they end up with a happy ending in the other world i don't see how this can be satisfying to fans. We have waited so long to see these two reunited. This would not be a satisfying ending for them. And i get that in past seasons people have died who we liked (example charlie). But this is not the same.  If they are dead maybe the writers can justify it by saying they are together and they risked their lives for each other. But to me that is crap. These are two of my favorites and i wanted a happy ending on the island too!
blah blah and then we said blah two four six and then there were two and the man went up the tree to and two one two three and then there
one two three and then one two four and we went up and down and jack and kate and then sawyer came and i came and went to the beach

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 07:08:29 AM »

Happy Birthday, George.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 07:09:25 AM »

Is anyone else getting these weird spam emails about Yahoo Groups?  They're typically a bunch of nonsense consonants.  I was just "added" to typzrl this morning.  You have to go in and remove yourself.  It's rather annoying.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 07:12:03 AM »

There is a very interesting Q&A posted at tv guide.com re: last night's LOST.

But it has some key info in the link title. IF anybody knows how to post without showing the spoiler info in the link could they do it. Thanks. It's the first article on the left on tvguide.com.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 07:15:16 AM »

I have finished my morning internet surf earlier than usual, so I guess I'll head down now and get a heads start on LOST (which I had planned to watch while I ate lunch). Then I can watch the rest of GARBO while I eat lunch before starting on today's work project.

WBBL.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 07:16:24 AM »

And the word of the day is: IATROGENIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is: THE PHYSICIAN

(Open Wide and Thank You-COLE PORTER)

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 07:17:20 AM »

Question for BK or any other DR who may know:  Is the movie version of THE GROUP available on DVD?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 07:19:32 AM »

Looks like both the school levy and the library levy passed - maybe there's hope for our community, after all!

Congratulations!

JMK

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 07:19:49 AM »

Question for BK or any other DR who may know:  Is the movie version of THE GROUP available on DVD?

Yes:

http://www.amazon.com/Group-Candice-Bergen/dp/B002Y26UOM

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 07:19:59 AM »

Yes Ginny-Available among other places-AMAZON

Laura

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 07:21:31 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday, Dear George!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 07:23:07 AM »

DR George,

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2010, 07:24:42 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE

Jane

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2010, 07:25:08 AM »

KevinH, congrats on the video.

JFL, sorry your birthday plans had to be changed.

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 07:29:27 AM »

Well, duh, I didn't think to look on Amazon.  I couldn't find it on Netflix, which I thought was odd.  My book group has an August tradition of reading a book and having a potluck dinner and watching the movie together.  When I saw Betty Draper reading The Group on MAD MEN, I remembered my father bringing a copy home to my mother in a paper bag.  She hid it away and wouldn't let me (age 12) see it.

So, now I have my very own copy of the book in my computer bag and Richard tells me that I can request that Netflix get a movie if it's not already on their list.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 07:29:44 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm waiting for the exterminator.  I also got up a little earlier than usual today since the maintenance man was scheduled to come in this morning to fix the leak in the shower. Of course, when he arrived and went to fix the leak, the leak was no more. But he did install a new shower-head, so at least it was not all for naught.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 07:33:16 AM »

There is a very interesting Q&A posted at tv guide.com re: last night's LOST.

But it has some key info in the link title. IF anybody knows how to post without showing the spoiler info in the link could they do it. Thanks. It's the first article on the left on tvguide.com.

DR Jennifer - You would do it like THIS.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 07:35:56 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR GEORGE!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 08:03:37 AM »

Netflix update - Richard discovered they've done away with the request link, but will still take requests by phone.  Hmm, must be a story there.  Anyway, he's requested THE GROUP for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2010, 09:03:39 AM »

Thanks DR Jose. I had posted the link but then realized that they put key words in it.

My sister and i were having a similar discussion this morning. I was saying (even though i watched LOST last night) that tv guide and ew.com both put spoilers in their headlines and it really bugs me.  Especially since this tv guide article then posted big spoiler alerts about not reading the stories before watching the show. Don't they realize they are spoiling it just with the headlines.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »

Happy Birthday DR George!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up