Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STRAIGHT HEAD  (Read 59814 times)

Danise

Re:THE STRAIGHT HEAD
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2004, 08:19:36 AM »

Best of luck today, Bruce!  Hope everything goes better than you hope.

Jay,  Toilet shopping.  Humm, well that has me beat. *chuckle* All that's on my plate for today is to take the older clothes I'm taking on the trips to the dry cleaners today.  I heard that gasp.  No, I didn't run out and buy all new clothes for the trips.

I think I have everything.  Now I'm in the holding pattern waiting for it to happen.  I don't want to pack everything to soon and get it all wrinkled.  That and if I put stuff in the bag and need to use it, I'll be taking it out and putting it back and then I'm not going to know if its packed or not when the time comes.

I'm starting to get excited.  And scared.  Can't wait.  Wish it was all over.

I tried once again with RoadRunner to find out how I could use the pocket PC to dial up while I'm out on road.  They said it wouldn't work.  Sigh.  So short of getting a notebook computer, it can't be done.  I did so want to stay in touch while I was away but it looks like I won't be able to be on-line for those 2/3weeks.  

It makes me mad because the Pocket PC HAS IE on it!  I just don't understand why it won't work.  It has more memory and computing power then most of my old computers and THEY got me on the internet.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2004, 08:22:37 AM »

Is C-Span Book TV going to be at the Festival?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2004, 08:24:13 AM »

SWW the Pumpkin ravioli at Cloud 9 sounds good.  It’s also the only thing I would eat there.  I do eat salmon, but not coconut. Wait, I just noticed sweet potato fries on the small plate.  I’m on my way!

Are you recommending Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc Reserve?  If so I will put it on my shopping list.  Is it this year’s?  This weekend Ashland’s has it’s food and wine tasting at the local art galleries.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2004, 08:24:37 AM »

Hey it is!  Just checked the schedule!  Sometimes they do walk arounds!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2004, 08:27:41 AM »

MATTH - after all these years, I have read that Marjorie Main was still under contract to MGM during the "Kettle" years and of course was loaned out to Universal-International at a premium for those movies.  She was not happy at the arrangement since she didn't share in the bounty, but that's Hollywood!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2004, 09:04:26 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jed

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2004, 09:36:46 AM »

Mmmm... Nutter Butter...

I have a feeling I'll be headed to the supermarket later on today. :)

Jennifer - Fear not, "kookie" and "cookie" are pronounced here just as you suggest.  Seems only those silly Oz fellows do otherwise.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2004, 09:42:44 AM »

Unless it's Gerald Lloyd Kookson III

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2004, 10:14:12 AM »

I tried once again with RoadRunner to find out how I could use the pocket PC to dial up while I'm out on road.  They said it wouldn't work.  Sigh.  So short of getting a notebook computer, it can't be done.  I did so want to stay in touch while I was away but it looks like I won't be able to be on-line for those 2/3weeks.  

It makes me mad because the Pocket PC HAS IE on it!  I just don't understand why it won't work.  It has more memory and computing power then most of my old computers and THEY got me on the internet.

DR Danise, do you have the expansion pack that the iPaq slides into which also has a slot for a modem card?  You need that to use the Pocket PC to connetect to the internet.  You might want to check out here for manuals for the iPAQnet Mobile Internet guide.

My favorite store-bought cookies have always been plain ole Oreos (and not those Hydrox knock-offs, thank you!)

My fav home-baked are chocolate chip oatmeal, hot from the oven.  Yummmmm.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Emily

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2004, 10:22:44 AM »

Four Words (the most BEAUTIFUL words in the English language):

SKOR BAR CHUNK COOKIES

Take toffee, take chocolate chunks and mix them into your favourite chocolate-chip cookie base (sans chocolate chips).  

While the ones I have had used separate toffee and chocolate (the woman who used to make them for me was big on getting only the best English toffee and speciality dark chocolate which she'd chunkify herself) you can also hammer skor bars into chunks and mix those right in.

Yum...  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 10:24:29 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2004, 10:24:17 AM »

My favourite store brand cookies are the Pecan Passion ones made by Peak Freanz.

Think of a very wonderful shortbread cookie made even wonderfuller by the addition of pieces of toasted pecans.

Yum...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2004, 10:41:48 AM »

And occasionally I would have an obsession with those Mother's animal cookies, you know, the pink and white ones.

Keith's favorite.  He won't go near them now.  You can't eat just one.

Jane

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2004, 10:44:20 AM »

For more information on Anzac day:

http://www.acn.net.au/articles/anzac/

Tomovoz do you do anything special today?

Almond macaroons.  You rarely see them anymore
Peanut butter cookies
Mexican wedding cakes, without nuts
Oatmeal cookies-the boxed version would only be Mother’s
Oreos
Mallomars
Pogens ginger cookies which are no longer available
Chocolate chip cookies from Robertson Bakery
Meringue chocolate chip
Butter cookies
Nabisco ‘nilla wafers

Must stop, Keith needs the computer and I’m getting hungry

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2004, 10:44:36 AM »

JAY-

What opera---La Toiletra??

William E. Lurie

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2004, 10:57:17 AM »

I don't have time to post the recipe but I make Waffle Cookies... cookies made in a waffle iron instead of an oven.  They are easy but time consuming because you can only make 4 at a time.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2004, 11:17:50 AM »

Of course, after said shopping expedition, the Dear Mother and I shall have a nice dinner and then go to the opera.  There's something in this scenario akin to "from the ridiculous to the sublime," but I'm not quite sure how to describe it.
There's something about the order that seems to be in reverse.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2004, 11:28:34 AM »

SWW ...Are you recommending Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc Reserve?  If so I will put it on my shopping list.  Is it this year’s?  This weekend Ashland’s has it’s food and wine tasting at the local art galleries.  
I believe it is this year's, and yes, I do recommend it.  Since the art galleries are having their tastings, if you can find it give it a try.  Also, if Rainbow Ridge is represented at all, we enjoyed both wines that we tasted from them.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2004, 11:31:01 AM »

JAY-

What opera---La Toiletra??
They should be taking in a play, instead.  Krapp's Last Tape.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2004, 11:35:06 AM »

Three musicals in one day... Rehearsal for "Fiddler on the Roof", auditions for "Oliver!" and OPENING NIGHT for "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat", busy day in the Bay Area.  Favorite cookies these days have been Oatmeal ad raisin.

Check out the Palo Alto Players website

www.paplayers.org

to see info on Joseph for all you Northern CA people, it's a great production and so much fun and the band rocks!!  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2004, 11:40:05 AM »

So far, der Brucer and I have had a very nice day.  So have Marty, Mikey, Bonnie and Buster.  We all went on the Rehoboth Beach Dog Walk on the Boardwalk.  There must have been a couple hundred humans, and as many canine controllers, taking part, strolling from one end of the boardwalk to the other and back again.  There were daschunds, there were pekes, there were bassets and beagles.  There were lots of Labs, who looked small standing next to the Great Danes.  Heck, I look small next to a Great Dane.  (Well, not really.)

Bonnie and Buster had a great time, making sure that I got my exercise, pulling me faster than I was planning.  Marty and Mikey took it easier on der Brucer, kind fellows that they are.  Lots of people commented on how darling or smart or cute Bonnie and Buster look, asking if they are littermates.  Der Brucer keeps saying "We don't know," but I keep saying "Yes."  Some things you just know, y'know?

Everyone's home again, taking a well-earned nap.  Der B. and I should be heading out again soon, however, for another round of the Wine and Food Festival.

If there were a way we could hand a couple of glasses of wine to BK and Panni, we would.  I hope everyone who is in the Los Angeles area gets over to the Book Festival to see them.  (It sure would beat shopping for a toilet, IMO.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 11:41:47 AM by S. Woody White »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2004, 11:41:49 AM »

SWW, was there a battle of the pekes and pollicles at this park?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2004, 11:51:22 AM »

Topic of the Day:

Nestle’s Original Toll House Cookies (especially when hot out of the oven)
Nutter Butters
Oreos (especially Double Stuff)
Pecan Sandies
And cookies that I got just last night:  NEW! Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked Chocolate Chunk Dark Chocolate Brownie cookies (a.k.a. "Captiva")!  Mmmmm!!

I'm hoping someone named Shirley comes to the booth.
If not, maybe Shirley will come to the temple.  ;)

From  BK's posting today: Do you know that if Alan Cumming and Joanna Going did a show they’d be Cumming and Going?

But how about...........

Is Joanna Going played Alan Cumming in a movie (or play) about his sex life they can announce that "Joanna is Cumming!"
There's a British actress/singer named Joanna Riding.  Add her and George and Gracie to the mix and you could have Cumming and Going: Gracie's Riding while George Burns.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 11:54:02 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2004, 11:56:53 AM »

Break a leg with JOSEPH, DRMATT.

It's one of my favorite shows to do and to see!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2004, 12:01:30 PM »

Over on a contentious newsgroup, I made a statement about one of the hot political topics of the day, and have been asked to back it up with, you know, proof.  I think the DRs here, particularly Emily, might be able to point me towards proof.  And, if I'm wrong, I'll be proven wrong.

But, please understand, I don't want to drag the debate over here.  I'm not looking to argue this controversial matter especially on a sunny spring weekend day (my post to the other newsgroup won't be made before Tuesday).  So, get ready, DRs: Remember, we're not to argue this; I'll just happily accept a point in the direction of proof or disproof.

I said that, in the USA, a gun-owner is more likely to be shot by a gun than someone who doesn't own a gun.

Is there some statistics to back that up, or was I dreaming?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2004, 12:22:59 PM »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2004, 12:41:26 PM »

Well, I must go and get ready to go to my sister's house.  Last Saturday was my niece Hilary's 20th birthday, but today is the day that we're all celebrating.  Both sides of Hilary's family are getting together [her father and mother (my sister) have been divorced--a Tammy Wynette reference--for quite a while].  Fortunately, everyone gets along.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 12:42:03 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Emily

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2004, 12:51:50 PM »

Noel... I've sent you a private message :D

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2004, 12:52:39 PM »

Accept Cookie?  
Reject Cookie?

Nowadays I buy our cookies and other sweets with my Sunday-morning shopping from our local Italian bakery, run by a same-sex couple, as people are wont to say.

I don't know if everything counts as a "cookie", but Joe's favorites are the Italian Tricolors (aka Rainbows).  He has rejected them from just about every other bakery as not measuring up to the ones his sister bakes at Christmas.  But the ones from this bakery are acceptable and have the added bonus of a layer of marzipan, which really makes them Tetracolors, I suppose.

He also likes their Rugalas (as opposed to Arugula), especially the apricot (with the ape in it) and the raspberry.  

Other treats from said Olde Sweete Shoppe are Pinioli Nut Cookies, Chocolate Macaroons, and Jumbles, which are different every week, I guess because they consist of of everything he's been baking all mixed together.

Storebought:  We were into the Keebler Elves ChocChips for a while.  I've always been turned off by the name "Hydrox".  Sounds like some sort of chemical.

My dearest friend Debby gives us genuine English Shortbreads every Christmas, her husband being English.  We never seem to get together around the holiday season, though.  So yesterday I finally got my shortbreads (and she got the CD Tea at Five, being as she is a big Katharine Hepburn fan) when I closed on my new mortgage--yes, Debby is a paralegal and handled the entire thing for her boss, my mortgage attorney.  Far as I can see, he does nothing, she does everything.

Childhood:  Every Christmas my Norwegian Grandmother (later to distinguish herself as the Administrative Assistant to the Warren Commission) would visit and make those sinful Scandinavian pastries.  There were Rosettes, of course, which she said were Swedish, and Krumkake.  But the true prize was Fattigmann, little rhombi of dough which she tied in a knot, popped into deep fat, and sprinkled with powdered sugar.   mmmmmmmmmm

My Mom would later make rosettes, but she refused to even attempt Fattigmann.

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2004, 01:31:59 PM »

A lot of panel discussions from the LA Festival of Books are on C-Span but so far no looks at the Big Room.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2004, 01:40:47 PM »

Mmmmm. Cookies. One time, I tried to make mookies, kind of a cross between cookies and muffins. They didn't turn out so well, but I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up