Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BORSCHT  (Read 16426 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: BORSCHT
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR LA JOLIE FEMME!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2010, 07:55:28 AM »

PAGE THREE JEWISH FOOD HORA!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2010, 07:58:26 AM »

I could use a big old bowl of split pea soup!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2010, 08:01:15 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The only Jewish foods that I'm not fond of - well, more accurately, that I'm scared of - are the fish-related ones: herring, gefilte fish, etc.  I do like lox and gravlax, but even sometimes the fishiness of those products can get to me - and not in a good way.  It's more of a texture thing rather than a taste thing. Otherwise...

I do love me some brisket, pastrami, latkes, kugel, bagels, bialys, challah, hamantaschen, honey cake, rugelach, etc., etc., etc...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2010, 08:14:23 AM »

As I was saying...

When I woke up yesterday, I found out that there was no internet connection in my parents' house. After going through the usual routine of disconnecting and reconnecting cables and turning things off and on again... Still no internet. Then my Dad came back from his doctor's appointment and informed me that he was in the process of switching over from Comcast to Verizon, and, apparently, Comcast had already started the switch-over - even though Verizon wasn't supposed to do anything until later this week. I guess he didn't realize that Comcast would start things on their end so soon - he had only called that (yesterday) morning. -Thankfully, I did have my iPhone, but the 3G signal in my parents' housing development only seems to work for phone calls and not for constant internet access.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2010, 08:23:43 AM »

Then came the highlight of my day: lunch with two of my former college professors, mentors, teachers, secondary parents and friends, Liz & Gary Hopper.  I usually see Liz at least once a year at one of the theatre conferences, but I haven't seen Gary in at least three years.  I had hoped to see them a few weeks ago when I was in Richmond for "Brassy Broads", but Gary had come down with pneumonia and Liz was also dealing with a major sinus infection.  They were both in very good health yesterday, and the lunch was very good; and the conversation and catching up was truly sparkling. And the big hugs were very heart-warming too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2010, 08:34:29 AM »

...And then when I got back to my parents' house, I discovered that my parents had driven up to Fairfax to attend a school show that their grand-daughter, Alexandra, was in.  So who's going to drive me to the airport then?  Thankfully, after some phone calls, I was able to find a chauffeur, my "cousin" Ryan.  Of course, due to some major thunder storms that were moving through the area, my flight was delayed, but at least I knew about the delay before I had headed to the airport.  And once I was on the plane, it was a pretty smooth flight, although we did hit a bit of turbulence about 20 minutes in.

Once I had landed at JFK, I found out that the "late night" work on the E train tracks began at 10:00pm (late night?).  So it took me about 30 minutes longer to get back into Manhattan than usual, and once I got back to my apartment, I basically put my bags down and crawled into bed, and... Zzzzzzz.....

And then Con Ed started some emergency work outside my window around 4:00am... Said emergency work required cutting into the asphalt... :-\  *They're still working outside, but, of course, no more cutting, drilling or scraping.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2010, 08:36:31 AM »

As for "Lost"... I really did like this week's ""Lost" Watch" on the NYTimes' blog. Quite a good analysis with some good questions answered and raised.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2010, 08:40:08 AM »

~~~~~SMOOTH MOVE VIBES FOR DR JMK~~~~~

*Why does that sound like a laxative would be involved? ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2010, 08:43:28 AM »

OH!

And I'm published!

"You Are Very Richmond If..."

*If you scroll down to "Upper Crust"...
Make Your Own Luck.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2010, 08:50:18 AM »

And the word of the day is: HEURISTIC!

And The Song of the Day Is:  TEACH ME TONIGHT

Laura

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2010, 08:51:50 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday to La Jolie Femme!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2010, 08:56:25 AM »

And since the Con Ed workers just knocked on the door and told us that they may be turning off the power to building to the building in a few... And to avoid any possible electrical damage due to power surges...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2010, 08:57:49 AM »

Watched "Glee" on my DVR last night.

Feh.

Didn't really like "any" of the numbers as performed.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »

cheese blintzes with sour cream

that cold noodle pudding thing that I cannot think of the name of at the moment

stuffed cabage is jewish?! My family always thought it was Hungarian! We stuff teh cabbage  with chpped meat  mixed wih rice and cook the cabbage envelpoed on a bed of saurkraut with rye seeds and eat thing with a HUGE dollop of sour cream (which isn't kosher-considering the meat)

I always thought of stuffed cabbage as Jewish.  I have come to believe it is Eastern European.

Do you mean Kugel?  It is very tasty warm.  If I recall Arties serves a rather tasty kugel.

My mother-in-law had the best recipe for Blintzes.  I don't make them very often as I can rarely find the cheese for it anymore.  She used hoop cheese.  When that wasn't available I used the crumbly farmer's cheese.  I don't like the creamy cheese I usually can find.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »

DR Jane last night you asked if i baked my honey cake in a loaf pan. No, i've always done it in a round bundt pan.

And re: the recipe you emailed me last night. My recipe has tea not coffee. If you're interested i can post it.

Thank you.  I didn't ask because you said it was a family recipe.  I would like to try making it.  Is the batter thick?  The circular motion of stirring is still very painful.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2010, 09:31:36 AM »

I can't even look at borscht without wanting to vomit.

LOL-I'm not that bad about it.  I can look at it as long as I don't have to eat it.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2010, 09:33:04 AM »

My wife makes the greatest chopped liver in the world.

I love it!

I wonder if it tastes like my mother-in-law's did.  After eating her chopped liver I couldn't eat any other.  In a way it was sad :)  Luckily for me she made it rather often.  One of the hardest foods to give up when we became vegetarians was her chopped liver.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2010, 09:33:36 AM »

If the "I'm tiring of the veiled insinuations" line was directed my way, I must really take exception.  I am stating an opinion, just like everyone else.  I have said repeatedly, if those who love the show love the show no matter what, that's great.  And my opinion is that those who have loved this show through thick and thin will go anywhere with it.  That's not an insult, it's not veiled, and it's certainly not an insinuation - it's how it appears to me, and the comment is certainly not directed at anyone specific - because I occasionally read the various Lost boards to occasionally get opinions as to what I'm occasionally missing, and that is how it seems to me.  And there's nothing wrong with it, but I also see nothing wrong with mentioning it.  It's a phenomena of today - never used to happen at all - a bad episode of a series was not the end of the world, and every series since the beginning of TV has had them.  But today, the kinds of shows we have tend to bring forth passion like I've never seen.  In any case, if anyone took anything I said as a "veiled insinuation" please don't because it was not meant that way.  I think everyone here knows me well enough to know that I don't EVER feel the need to be veiled or to insinuate - I just come right out and say it if I'm thinking it.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2010, 09:33:41 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  I'm about to leave for an overnight trip to Columbus to attend the Ohio Prospect Research Network conference.  Fortunately, it looks like the thunderstorms won't arrive until I'm settled into the hotel.

Safe travels!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2010, 09:33:42 AM »

I am up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2010, 09:33:51 AM »

And I haz spoken.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »

And CDs are here and I'm going to start putting them in the packages AFTER opening one, checking the label film, and playing the beginning of the CD :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2010, 09:35:51 AM »

I have not seen the word Shav mentioned - that bilious green stuff that I've never had.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2010, 09:38:18 AM »

PAGE THREE JEWISH FOOD HORA!!!

I should try baking Challah like that.  It would cut more easily for sandwiches.  At this point I'm not sure I'll ever be able to make bread again, but if I ever do I will try that.

I have been craving a good Jewish Corn Rye, today's post are only reminding me how much I want one.  At least Keith made latke's last week and I have a little bit of challah in the freezer.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2010, 09:43:08 AM »

Julieanne,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2010, 09:47:10 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! I spent the morning at the McGlinnventory with the buyer/owner of DR Ben's favorite Emporium, Academy Books & Records, who will take McGlinn's CDs and CD cases off our hands. DR Ben, look for a lot of McGlinn's EMI recordings in the bins very soon.

When I left, he was going to look over the records. I had to get to Toyland, so I took my materials for ZIP GOES A MILLION that I'm shipping to the Library of Congress tomorrow and got outa there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2010, 09:49:41 AM »

I may have to do Jewish food this very day.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2010, 09:53:08 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The only Jewish foods that I'm not fond of - well, more accurately, that I'm scared of - are the fish-related ones: herring, gefilte fish, etc.  I do like lox and gravlax, but even sometimes the fishiness of those products can get to me - and not in a good way.  It's more of a texture thing rather than a taste thing. Otherwise...

I do love me some brisket, pastrami, latkes, kugel, bagels, bialys, challah, hamantaschen, honey cake, rugelach, etc., etc., etc...

Mmmmm...I'm no longer nauseous.  Now I'm hungry!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2010, 10:00:33 AM »

And just because no one has mentioned it yet...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up