Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO KILLED THE DEAD RODENT?  (Read 79419 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:WHO KILLED THE DEAD RODENT?
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2004, 05:58:08 PM »

Heading for chat...hang on Danise!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2004, 05:58:51 PM »

Chat in a mere two minutes, or just come on in now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2004, 05:59:24 PM »

Page Seven Dance!   ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2004, 06:00:37 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2004, 06:04:35 PM »

Danise, no rush.  Sleep well.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2004, 06:06:01 PM »

Have a nice chat.  Goodnight.

Danise

« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2004, 06:08:30 PM »

Thanks Jane.  I can't get into chat.  The computer is acting strange.  Even as I type this it's acting funny.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2004, 06:14:14 PM »

Chat is open and engaging!

picked out DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE to watch whilst I chat. . .I think that Christopher Lee may get a lot more of my attention. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Danise

« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2004, 06:16:17 PM »

My computer must be as tired as I am.   I don't know if it's my computer or the board or the net or what but I can't get past the java loading screen and I'm to tired to fight with it.  You guys have a nice chat.

Goodnight.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2004, 06:20:52 PM »

We are merrily chatting away.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2004, 06:49:49 PM »

I just left, but it's not too late to join the chat!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2004, 06:52:20 PM »

Quite active chat tonight. . .tarzan in manhattan. . .tarzan in fairyland. . .really a swingin' affair!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2004, 07:02:03 PM »

A big hello to DR Jose from his friends in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2004, 08:01:02 PM »

Michael Shayne I have to go to L.A. but why anyone would want to spend their vacation there is beyond me, unless it is to see people.  On that note, who wants to meet us for breakfast at Du-Par’s? :)

I do!  I do!  Oh, hell!  I'm in New York!  I love Du-Par's!  Just back from the rehearsal.  Sorry I missed Chat! I'm catching up on the posts now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2004, 08:06:17 PM »

I will be there for breakfast whenever you say.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2004, 08:09:04 PM »

DR td wrote: "I held off on the original titles, for I had heard gossip a while ago that Warner would indeed be putting them in a box.
( "Put it in a box, tie it with a ribbon and toss it in the deep blue sea." - I know that some dear reader will recognize those lyrics immediately)."

Of course, it's one of Doris Day's hit tunes from her screen debut in ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS. I think it's "throw it in the deep blue sea," isn't it?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2004, 08:10:55 PM »

I just ran into chat and no one was there.  I guess that's what I get for the dead rodent ghost thingamabobber ;)

Jane - the winter term of school ends in early April with exams stretching until Wednesday at the latest.  For most people, summer starts then - but I'm taking two month long intensive summer classes in May and June, so my "official" summer only starts in July.

Oh well... three whole days of freedom. :(  Of course it also hasn't broken 20 degrees Celcius yet - so at least it won't feel like I'm missing out on summer.  :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2004, 08:27:38 PM »

DR WEL: Update: Annie Get Your Gun is the 1999 version. Our promotion/booking booklet arrived in today's mail.

DR Tom, you'll be hearing my orchestration!  It's a loooonnnggg story!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #198 on: April 26, 2004, 08:35:32 PM »

Actually I won't be hearing your orchestrations - I will be in France at the time. C'est La Vie.
I will get to "Carousel" which is in August but will not suffer through anyone producing "High Society" on stage - once was more than enough. Annie will have to get her gun without me. I have not seen a stage production of AGYG and still have not seen the movie since its first release.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2004, 08:38:08 PM »

Good Evening!

First of all, thanks to all those in chat tonight for the very warm welcome back.  -And for those of you who weren't in chat when I was...

In short, it's been a rough two weeks.  My "allergy crap" turned out to be two(!) bacterial infections - one in my throat and one in my sinuses.  Thankfully, my doctors really ran the gamut of tests on me, and started me on the road to recovery.  There's been a virulent strain of strep throat going around lately, and, at first, that's what they thought it was, but after running various tests and checking out all the various possibilities, they finally put their collective finger on my particular malady.

After all is said and done, I am doing much, much better now.  The biggest thing I had to deal with was the side effect of the antibiotics - I developed a very upset stomach, and, consequently, acid reflux - which is something I've never had before.  So, now that my antibiotics are "all gone", I'm now on Prevacid to help remedy the acid reflux, and it seems to be working like a charm.  It's sooo nice to sleep through the night without waking up every 30 minutes coughing up a storm.  *I swear there was a stretch of four days/nights where I only got about 10 hours of sleep total.  -And, trust me, that made playing the show quite interesting - even when Mr. Schwartz came to see the show!

-And, looking back at the past two weeks, I was actually kind of pitiable... I basically would wake up in time to get to the show - and to eat - well, try to eat (my throat was really sensitive for a while) - get to the theatre, play the show, and head back to the apartment and try to sleep.  There were a few times I wanted to call in, but since I don't have a sub...  YES!  I'm a trouper!   ;)  Thankfully, the staff at the theatre was very understanding, and made me as comfortable as I could be when needed.  -And I have to say Ford's Theatre has one of the most comfortable "Equity cots" around - just perfect for those for in-between shows naps.

Oh! One "pleasant" side effect of the past two weeks is that I lost 16 pounds in about 11 days!  My doc tells me that I should "Eat, Eat, Eat", and put back on the weight I lost, but, hmmm....  She even suggested that I eat lots of ice cream!  The full-fat stuff too! ;-)  We'll see... In the meantime, I'm enjoying fitting back into my "skinny jeans" again.  *It actually caught me off guard... I weighed myself last week, and noticed that I had lost a lot of weight in a short time... I thought it was my scale malfunctioning, but when I went back to the docs last Friday, sure enough, I had dropped all that weight.  -And after thinking about it, I did try to eat at least three to four times a day while I was sick-sick... but when you only eat about 200-300 calories each time, it doesn't really add up... well, at least not to my normal caloric intake.

Now I just have to introduce foods back into my diet at a "cautious" pace just in case I've ended up becoming sensitive to some foods, spices, etc.  I have tried some "bad" food here and there, and so far, so good.  Hopefully, once my system gets used to NOT producing so much acid - especially since I'm no longer on the antibiotics - I should be able to eat "normally".  But I will be playing it safe in the meantime, mainly to not to aggravate my throat which is still a bit "tender".

Too much information?

-Oh, and there were the couple of days in there where they thought I had contracted Lyme disease... ugh...  Needless to say, that weighed heavily on my mind and psyche in general.

So...

As for spy movies... Never really much of a fan of them... I like the Bond movies, but I never really watched any of them closely enough to tell you which one is which.  However, I, too, love (most of) the theme songs, and there's still nothing like the sight of Sean Connery in his bathing trunks.  Truly the best looking Bond without his shirt on.

OK - Well, I think this was long enough of a first-time-back-in-a-while ramble, but...

DR Jed - Sorry your production of EDEN is not going so well.  I'm still liking mine.  -And till June 4... ;)

As for Broadway caliber talent...  There are sooo many people out there.  Deserving and (possibly) undeserving.  I play about 1500-2000 auditions a year - regional theatre, tours, and Broadway productions.  Most everyone who comes in the room has a chance, but it's that "something" that attracts the eye/ear/heart/other-body-part of the director/casting director/choreographer/musical director/producer that gets that person the job.  Yes, stunt-casting does abound nowadays - but I don't think stunt-casting is something new, is it?  -However, I do have to wonder about Scary Spice stepping into Mimi in Rent?  Does anyone really care any more?  (And from all reports, she is majorly vocally handicapped for the role... but I guess with half of the audience singing along anyway... ;) ) -Sheesh, I guess my meds made me catty too...

-I just wish there were more shows running at the same time so that more people could get work.  Heck, even in the "regions" the competition can get quite tough at times.

And as for people not learning how to project...  Blame it on their teachers!  I'd rather have a student start off with a good classical teacher to learn some good technique and vocal habits, rather than having them be coached and finessed to death throughout their training - which, unfortunately, happens.

OK - Now I am rambling... I guess I'm more back to "normal" than I think I am...

I missed you guys!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: April 26, 2004, 08:54:34 PM »

And one for Mahler.  Welcome back Jose!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2004, 08:57:14 PM »

Great to have you back, Jose! Missed you! hope you're totally well REALLY soon. 8)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2004, 09:00:32 PM »

No, STAR! is about Julie singing and dancing, Gertie sure as hell didn't have the sustained high note in "The Saga of Jenny!"

Of course STAR! was about Julie Andrews; I'm smart enough to realize that.  It's equally clear from the FUNNY GIRL Broadway gestation period that the show became more about La Streisand than Fanny Brice, and since the producer was Miss Brice's son-in-law, the show wasn't going too deep into all the facts.  I suspect there was some equal fiddling with FIORELLO's accuracy; for one reason, real life is never as tidy as drama.   Noel Coward seemed to have no problem about his godson portraying him, but Bea Lillie clearly was a problem.

Several of the numbers in STAR! are tied to their stage origins like the rag doll in OH, KAY!'s "Someone to Watch Over Me," and "The Physician" looks a bit like its London staging.  While I like a lot of the production numbers in STAR!,  I find  "The Saga of Jenny" hyperventilated, over-inflated, and gaudy.  I'm glad you and DR MattH like the number; I loathe everything about it.  Chacun a son gout.

As far as Gertie's "limited" range, she ends her recording of "The Saga of Jenny" with a sustained high C.  She was never a great singer, but. like Helen Morgan, she was a light soprano, and I suspect a lot of her bad rep comes from THE KING AND I, Rodgers' bio, and the fact that she was dying from cancer.
Julie's highest note in STAR! is probably at the end of "The Physician," and I haven't checked the pitch.  The highest notes I've heard from her elsewhere are her high B-flats in "Poor Little Pierrot" on the OBC of THE BOY FRIEND, but she seems happier ending on a high G or F-sharp in "I Could Have Danced All Night" and "The Simple Joys of Maidenhood."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2004, 09:01:33 PM »

Jose!  Welcome back!  Sorry I missed you at chat.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2004, 10:07:34 PM »

We haz slowed to a crawl.  I've got Dead Rodents here - posts are all I've got to make the smell bearable.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2004, 10:23:28 PM »

Sad to be all alone in the world with a Dead Rodent.

I see Pogue but does Pogue see me?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #206 on: April 26, 2004, 10:32:02 PM »

I see you.

Four Horsemen is starting up!  In letterbox!

Panni

« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2004, 10:36:32 PM »

I was reading a manuscript and fell asleep. Ooops (spoo). Now I'm awake, but not in the mood to read a manuscript.

Panni

« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2004, 11:04:59 PM »

...And now I'm thinking I'm going to try and go to sleep early tonight. Here's one more to help ease us toward the big 4-0.
G'night!

Jed

« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2004, 11:10:59 PM »

Glad to hear your CoE production is going well, Jose!  As for ours... well... I thought I'd experienced ugly tech rehearsals, but I had no idea.  Ended up starting over an hour late, and then Act I ran damn near 3 hours!!!  Since this is a high school production (with a few middle school chorus members and elementary school animals), the director just called it a night, without getting to Act II at all.  Ugh.  And this thing is supposed to open on Thursday?!?  I see looooooooong nights in my near future.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up