Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO KILLED THE DEAD RODENT?  (Read 79381 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WHO KILLED THE DEAD RODENT?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2004, 08:29:29 AM »

In a nice bit of serendipity, just got a call from my pest control people and today is their monthly service call, so they'll be able to ascertain whether there is a dead rodent or not.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2004, 08:46:45 AM »

Spy movies - Not a genre I'm a huge fan of, so I'm not all that knowledgeable. If the MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE is considered a spy movie, then that's my favorite. I like the old James Bond films (Connery, I mean).
NOTORIOUS, yes. NORTH BY NORTHWEST.
I haven't seen THE IPCRESS FILE since it came  out, but I liked it at the time. Oh - and I really liked THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD.
Used to like watching THE MAN FROM UNCLE on the tube.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2004, 08:47:49 AM »

The New York Times seems to know about Jennifer's birthday. In today's edition there is an article about

POUTINE

It's called Montreal's signature dish. I won't post the entire link because it seems to put us in Widescreen. Here is the opening paragraph.

Poutine, Quebec's favorite fatty fast-food concoction, is like a voluptuous mistress. It is loved passionately in a province where eating is virtually an art form, but in public it is often acknowledged only with embarrassment. Recently, however, the shame has been ebbing.

If you go to the NYTimes Web site (http://www.nytimes.com/), you will most likely need to register (if you haven't already) to read the article.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR JENNIFER. HHW wouldn't be the same without you.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2004, 08:49:03 AM »

Don't know from Spy Movies so I will remain close-mouthed on the subject.

Don't know a James Bond from a Treasury Bond

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2004, 08:49:33 AM »

Does Casablanca count?
I don't really know what makes a film a spy film

Happy Birthday Jennifer.  I shall cease from blaming Canada all day in your honor
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2004, 08:59:06 AM »

Thanks for the birthday wishes.  I woke up in a bad mood. And the wishes are making me feel better.

For DR Ben: If you don't want your link to go into widescreen post it under "reply" (not quick reply) and then highlight the link and click on the hyperlink icon (i thinkwe said it was 3rd from left on the bottom row).

It will make your link smaller.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2004, 09:00:17 AM »

Oh and now I'm craving poutine. Thanks for that. :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2004, 09:05:52 AM »

I am not a big expert on spy films.  I like them when I see them, especially Connery as Bond, but I can't really think of very many special ones that don't slide over into the war movie genre instead.

I love THUNDERBALL,
it is my favorite James Bond film with FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE a close second.  

Other Favorite Spy Films

SABOTEUR
THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH
GOLDFINGER
THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD
SPY KIDS
and DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2004, 09:07:31 AM »

I didn't mention another very good Hitchcock spy movie, SABOTEUR. I like it quite a bit.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2004, 09:08:52 AM »

Robert Redford and Brad Pitt made a spy movie a few years ago called SPY GAME that had some nice twists in it.

THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH -- of course!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2004, 09:14:49 AM »

Here is some interesting Star tidbits:

The intermission music (missing from the DVD) is simply a short instrumental version of the title song.

The exit music, which everyone is complaining about not being there, was apparently NEVER there - it was added for the laser disc so they could do their restoration credits.  Can someone with the laser confirm that (apparently there is a freeze frame on the curtain that ends the film proper).  Now that that information has been posted, the complainers, who were apparently wrong, are nowhere to be found.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2004, 09:15:04 AM »

I didn't mention another very good Hitchcock spy movie, SABOTEUR. I like it quite a bit.

Great minds think alike, MattH!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2004, 09:21:18 AM »

Here is some interesting Star tidbits:

The intermission music (missing from the DVD) is simply a short instrumental version of the title song.

The exit music, which everyone is complaining about not being there, was apparently NEVER there - it was added for the laser disc so they could do their restoration credits.  Can someone with the laser confirm that (apparently there is a freeze frame on the curtain that ends the film proper).  Now that that information has been posted, the complainers, who were apparently wrong, are nowhere to be found.

The intermission also features the freeze frame of the curtain, and the STAR! theme is the same version of the song as played over the closing credits of the original movie.

I mentioned this to someone in private mail, but figured I had beaten the STAR! horse to death and chose not to post any more about it (until now). Because it's not seemingly a part of the original version, the fact that it's missing from the DVD didn't bother me at all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2004, 09:22:41 AM »

Well, it's fascinating, because the main idiot who posts about these things could have cleared that up immediately.  I'm beginning to think that you are right, MattH, and that the DVD is representitive of the theatrical showing.

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2004, 09:51:30 AM »

Re: Vanessa from American Idol appearing as Tracy in Toronto's HAIRSPRAY.

I'm not sure how good she'll be.  But I do remember her from AI.  She was quirky and had painted hair.  I think she was one of the first ones voted out of the Top !2.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2004, 09:51:37 AM »

I don't know from the original theatrical or LD presentation of "Star!"   Besides having sat through "Those Were the Happy Times" and being totally appalled at the fact that more than half the score on my LP had evaporated with cuts, my only exposure to the film is through a widescreen tape of it as shown on AMC back in the early 1990s.  So far as I recall, it's complete, sans overture.

The DVD, however, is fascinating to me.  The overture  is tremendous.  I have to wonder if that was Lionel Newman in the orchestra pit.  It does not resemble Lennie Hayton, but I could be wrong.  I was a bit let down that the title song was not in full-fledged stereo but was cast in that "newsreel of the day" sound.

I think the musical numbers are pretty sensational (although I'm apparently one of few who doesn't care for the "Jenny" staging).  Everything looks very good to me on my Sony 17-inch TV!!!!!   I'm totally NOT disappointed with this DVD, and imagine my surprise that the commentary has not only Robert Wise, but Saul Chaplin and Julie Andrews (and who else???? I only listened to a bit of it).

I also watched "Call Me Madam" and found it totally irresistible, charming and alarmingly energetic and entertaining. The musical numbers positively sparkle.  So much so that the non-musical scenes tend to seem unrehearsed by comparison.  The book's not so creaky that it doesn't have laugh potential, but some of those laughs are not set up well at all.

The scene in which Merman sings "The Hostess With the Mostess" is brilliantly set up.  There she is on the top step of a marble staircase, with the reporters surrounding her in a "V", all of them on different steps, so we see Merman in full figure at all times.  The "bad thing" about this staging is the background window with the Capitol building in the distance and a very pink cherry blossom tree in full bloom just outside in full sunshine.  It upstages Merman throughout the song and makes the scene too busy.  Also, when this scene starts, Merman strikes a few classic poses on the stairs for the photogs...they should have borrowed from "Easter Parade", as well as doing some close-ups, having Merman pose one pose too many, as Nadine Hale did on an Easter Sunday promenade...one pose more than there were photographers snapping shots, with an appropriate, "Oh, poo!" reaction.

It seemed to me that the non-musical passages were handled almost as though they were bothersome links between sensationally staged numbers.  

It's not a short movie musical, and perhaps they wanted to rush the story more than give more time to setups for the jokes.

I think if they'd had a bit more respect for the total package -- and possibly one less reprise of "Something to Dance About" -- I think the movie would have been an all-time classic in the genre.  (Don't get me wrong...I think the main song, plus both reprises of "Something to Dance About" are wonderful, but if they needed to make room for something else.....)  As it is, though, it's as good a musical recording of the score as there'll ever be, IMO, and NOBODY will ever be better in the part than Merman.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 12:10:11 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2004, 09:53:37 AM »

I always confuse Saboteur and Sabotage.

Which one has a little boy carring a bomb on a bus, and scenes behind the screen of a movie theatre?

Which one has the Statue of Liberty?

Are they both spy films?

I love all the Hitchcocks mentioned so far, although I haven't seen Torn Curtain or Foreign Correspondant

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2004, 09:58:44 AM »

I'm not sure how good she'll be.  But I do remember her from AI.  She was quirky and had painted hair.  I think she was one of the first ones voted out of the Top !2.

IIRC she was the very first to go.  Simon's critique of her really good performance was that she would make a good cabaret artist like Bette Midler, but she wasn't "pop starl" material (they could not have figured that out before selecting her for the final auditions??????).

Then again, Bette Midler was NOT a pop star???????

Vanessa was much better than most of the singers in the top 12, but the hair and her shortness seemed to make that one performance the end of the line for her.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 12:12:51 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2004, 09:59:10 AM »

Sabotage has the bomb and Saboteur has the lady with the torch.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2004, 10:09:56 AM »

Well, that's just cause for a rant:

American Idol serves one purpose: It makes its contestants extremely famous.  That's what television will do for you.  I don't know Clay Aiken from Adam, but I DO know he's more famous than Brett Barrett, whom I've enjoyed live on stage in a number of shows.

Now, imagine a producer has a choice between casting Clay and Brett; who will they go with to sell the most tickets?  (I'm assuming - which makes an ass of u and me - that Clay's not nearly as talented as Brett.)  And that's reason enough to loathe American Idol.

Every day I deal with people who are working their butt cheeks off to make it on the musical theatre stage.  They study, they practice, they go through the physical rigors of complicated dance routines.  In a just world, the best of the zaftig young ladies would be playing Tracy in Hairspray in Canada.

But it's not a just world.  It's a world in which the producers of a TV contest show have the power to circumvent the process.  I've no idea who this Vanessa is or how good she is: All I know is that she managed to get herself on the American Idol program.  Which means she's famous enough to sell tickets and beat out possibly-more-talented aspirants for a plum role.

I'm not saying it doesn't take talent and savvy to get yourself on American Idol.  I'm sure you're put through hoops.  But these hoops are of the producers' making, which means they have a great deal of power.

And, effectively, they've injected themselves into the process so many of us are a part of: ensuring the best possible performance in every musical role.  I know this was not the producers' intention.  They're in the business of selling soap, as is every one on television.  But this unintended side effect is... well, reason enough for a rant.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2004, 10:15:35 AM »

I wouldn't cast either Brett Barrett or Clay Aiken, I'd cast our very own Brent Barrett.

Countdown to 40,000 posts.

Waiting for Mr. Pest Control Man to come remove what is now very clearly a Dead Rodent.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2004, 10:18:10 AM »

DR Noel: I wouldn't say that Vanessa is one of the more famous Idols.  She was kicked out very early.

And while I think Brent Barrett is very talented, I think that Clay Aiken is hugely talented as well.  I don't think Clay is a good example to use when talking about untalented people.  He is phenomenal.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2004, 10:25:06 AM »

Clay Aiken was meant to sing on Broadway!

His voice is as good as any out there, IMO, but it's a different voice from Brent's, and they are different physical types/looks, so they'd never vie against one another for roles.

They could do some dazzling duets, though!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 10:26:12 AM by RLP »

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2004, 10:26:28 AM »

A very happy, happy Birthday to DR Jennifer! (I was in such a rush to post this morning that I plum forgot the birthday wish!)

Have your morning mocha and perhaps you will be in a more festive mood!!

Ben

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2004, 10:27:13 AM »

For you Doris Day fans out there (and I know you exist) BBC Radio 2 has begun a multi-part series in celebration of her recently passed 80th birthday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/

When you get to this page go to Listen Again (it's purple on the right hand side of the screen) and click on The Life of Doris Day.

Enjoy!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2004, 10:34:52 AM »

I'm not a big spy guy, but I love NOTORIOUS.  I like the Harry Palmers, particularly THE IPCRESS FILE, and I always enjoyed the OUR MAN FLINT movies. Connery Bonds.  Another one I like is SECRET AGENT, directed by Hitchcock, starring John Gielgud of all people in the romantic lead, with Madaleine Carroll and a wonderful performances by Peter Lorre as a character known as the Mexican Hairless.  Robert Young is also in it.  Very interesting picture where, if I recall correctly, the hero actually at one point in the film, kills the wrong person. It's based on Maugham novel Ashenden.

BK, I remember fondly THE SCENE OF THE CRIME on Woodman & Ventura (Later near Wilshire and Western...terrible location) and the strange woman who ran it, Ruth?, who used to dress up like a Victorian heroine (or poisoner).  I don't remember Sally Powers working there...though I do remember that name as a casting director.  But much of my mystery collection was built from purchases from Scene of the Crime.  It was one of the first places I visited when I blew into LA.  I remember the first book I bought there.  Master of Villainy...a bio of Sax Rohmer, creator of Fu Manchu.  I also saw my first celebrity there...William Daniels.

On my way back from the Book Festival staturday I stopped by Sam French and picked up Sir John Gielgud: A Life in Letters.  My favourite excerpt so far:

"I had a gay hour with that old fribble Alexander Woolcott today. He was saying Ethel Barrymore had made a wonderful comeback in The Corn is Green in America after...' along sojourn in the valley of menopause.'  Also a funny description of the Lunts working out their dream production of MACBETH.  Lady M. was to pass along the gallery to murder Duncan stark naked! 'How?' I asked. 'Oh,' said Woolcott, 'behind a high balustrade, so that her pudenda were still kept strictly for Alfred's edification.'"

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2004, 10:38:49 AM »

I think the musical numbers are pretty sensational (although I'm apparently one of few who doesn't care for the "Jenny" staging).

DR RLP, I too loathe the "Jenny" number, which has nothing to do with LADY IN THE DARK and almost nothing to do with Gertrude Lawrence, Kurt Weill, Ira Gershwin, or Moss Hart!  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2004, 10:41:34 AM »

I don't know from spy movies and you don't want to get me started on dead rodents.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2004, 10:44:34 AM »

Waiting for Mr. Pest Control Man to come remove what is now very clearly a Dead Rodent.

Well, I've dated several rodents and I wish they were dead with your, BK!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2004, 10:51:08 AM »

I think it's way too early to say whether Clay was meant to sing on Broadway or that his voice is as good as any.  I certainly think and have always thought that Clay's voice is strong enough to be singing standards and Broadway material and is certainly wasted on the pop tripe he is now singing.  

But as Noel says, Broadway has rigourous demands and people there train and train and train.  Brent Barrett, besides being a superb singer, is a wonderful actor and moves well.  For a kid just plucked out of obscurity and not focusing on a theatrical career, I suspect Clay has a long way to go before he can be compared to the likes of Brent Barrett or Harry Groener or a lot of other Broadway singer/actors. That doesn't mean he couldn't make it in time,  but while he could sell tickets, I doubt that he could give you the seasoned, mature performance that enumerable others who ply their trade on Broadway could.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up