Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NATURE TAKING ITS COURSE  (Read 82380 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NATURE TAKING ITS COURSE
« on: April 27, 2004, 12:01:45 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've smelled the notes, you've deodorized the notes, and now it is time to post until the cows come home. ::)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 12:01:06 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:NATURE TAKING ITS COURSE
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 12:32:14 AM »

Didn't really get past the Wizard Of Oz and the Mickey Rooney movies myself.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 12:37:49 AM »

Sad to say, nature is taking it's course in our home, as well.

Der Brucer and I went to an informal concert yesterday, up in Northern New Jersey, a fundraiser Marc Shaiman was doing for a theater group up there.  He performed and told stories, and was joined by Annie Golden and Christine Ebersole, both of whom sang his songs and were quite wonderful.

When we returned home (a three-hour drive each way), we found our eldest dog, Kelsey, sprawled in the kitchen covered with his own soiling.  I cleaned him up as best I could, while der B. cleaned the kitchen, but he isn't responding much to our attention.

This has been hardly unexpected.  Kelsey is eighteen years old, and this last year has been hard for him.  Der Brucer and I agreed that I would keep the other dogs out of his room, so that he and Kelsey could be alone together.  

No vibes, please.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 01:35:00 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 01:14:30 AM »

Peaceful wishes from Magnus & Fosca (and the humans in the pack). Not vibes - just compassion.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 04:05:26 AM »

Let's get it out of the way early.

Who is Aunt Judy?
Never heard of those songs?
I wasn't even born when she died
Never saw the Wizard of Oz, Meet Me In St. Louis, A Star is Born or any of her other movies.
I hate Over the Rainbow, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, The Man That Got Away and all the other songs she sang.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]:) ;) :D ;D :o 8) ??? ::) :) ;) :D ;D :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-*[/move]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 04:06:51 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Emily

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 04:12:14 AM »

Lol Michael! :)

My favourite Judy movie (grrr "judy movie" comes close to rhyming but really doesn't) is definitely The Wizard of Oz... as shocking a revelation that might be.

My favourite Judy song is "Get Happy" because it's what my family sings together (off-key and and differnt tempos of course) when we're cooking (literally).  I just wish it weren't so darn religious - you can get weird looks singing that song in public.

One more exam today!  Huzzah Hooray!

Der Brucer and S. Woody: I'm not going to send vibes because you specificially asked us to not send them, but I will let you know that I'm hoping Kelsey isn't in pain and that he knows he has two owners who love him dearly.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 04:43:30 AM »

Missed chat (obviously) but I'm glad to know that DR Jose is back! And on the mend.

DR Tom. France! I'm jealous. Haven't been to France since 1992. I (we) needs must find the time and means to go back, at least to Paris if not Honfleur also.

TOTD - I love most things Judy. I think my favorite performance is A Star is Born. One of my favorite songs is The Man That Got Away but I also love her performances in I Could Go On Singing (an underrated movie, IMHO). Meet Me in Saint Louis is a wonderful treat ast well.

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 05:59:30 AM »

DR Jose, it was so nice to hear from you again.  I was wondering where you had been.  Hope you feel better.

DR S. Woody White: lots of prayers for Kelsey.

BK, sorry about your dead rodent.  Is there any room in the house you can hide in?  I would just move into the backyard! :)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 06:28:19 AM »

Where do I begin with Judy... from "Pigskin Parade" (The Balboa", "Texas Tornado") to "I Could Go On Singing" (title song, "It Never Was You") her songs are often the only worthwhile things in these movies.  Her television show featured everything from "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" to "Battle Hymn of the Republic".  And her concert version of "What Now My Love" caused goosebumps.  She grew from a cute plump pre-teen to a beautiful young lady to a mature woman before our eyes.  It's impossible to pick out only two songs.

Last night was the first New York production of THE VANISHING POINT, a musical that has been produced in L.A., Chicago and several other cities.  It is about three famous women who disappeared at one time in their life played by three Tony® nominees.  Two vanished for only a short time - Agatha Christie (Allison Fraiser) and Aimee Semple McFerson (Emily Skinner), while one was never found: Amelia Erhart (Barbara Walsh).  With a cast like that, it would be easy for the actresses to overpower the material, but fortunately the material was fascinating with a varied score that gave all three ladies great material to work with.  I do hope that the show will get a regular run with this cast.  These are three of the musical theatre's brightest talents and this work shows them off at their very best.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 06:56:17 AM »

SWW and Der Brucer - My thoughts are with you.
Having lived a long life, Kelsey is surrounded by caring and love in his last days, so that he can make a peaceful, dignified exit.
What more could any creature, human or animal, desire?

Panni

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 07:01:12 AM »

As for Miss Judy Garland - I'll be accused of being a copy cat, but I also pick as favorites "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "The Man That Got Away." And I also think she was luminous in MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS. There are some other faves, of coure. I'll post later about them. Going for a walk before it starts getting hot.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 07:11:31 AM »

[quote author=S. Woody White link=board=4;threadid=253;start=msg40190#msg40190 date=1083051469

This has been hardly unexpected.  Kelsey is eighteen years old, and this last year has been hard for him.  Der Brucer and I agreed that I would keep the other dogs out of his room, so that he and Kelsey could be alone together.  

No vibes, please.

This is very sad.  You have my sympathy.  My brothers and I always had animals around, several cats, lots of dogs ranging from bassett hounds to Irish setters to sundried mixed breeds.  As my brothers and I left home, my mother ended up caring for the animals and their lifespans.  She went through enormous grief as each one passed on, and I think she may have been a better mother, over all, to them than to her sons, who never gave her the total love and affection her pets did.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 07:11:38 AM »

DR SWW, just want to let you know that Kelsey, Der Brucer, yourself and your whole family are in my thoughts today.

I was once again deaf, blind and dumb (mostly dumb) in my attempt to join chat last night.  It seems that whenever I enter the chat room I'm okay for a while but then the java applet freezes and I stop seeing what everyone is saying.  DR Jrand tried to help by instant messaging me and, while that helped for a bit, I froze up again.  I think it may be that the java applet doesn't like communicating over my sometimes skitterish cable connection.  What I might try next week is to open an instant message window to myself and just keep "pinging" myself to keep my connection active.

Judy-ciously speaking, it goes without saying that TWOO is my fav Garland movie, with Meet Me in St Louis a close second.  But coming up as a strong third is The Harvey Girls.  Along with one of my favorite big production numbers ("The Atchison, Topeka and the Sante Fe"), I've also come to love the trio with Garland, Virgina O'Brien and Cyd Charisse--I'm not sure of the title--"It's a Big, Cold World"?  I've never seen this number outside of the movie (probably due to its length), but it's a wonderful sing that's beautifully sung and staged.  It reminds me of something out of Gilbert & Sullivan.  Another great number in this movie is Virgina O'Brien's "Wild Wild West"--she's a gas and manages to steal the scene away from Ray Bolger.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2004, 07:11:39 AM »

Wow, hard to pick a favorite Judy performance...but tops would likely be WIZARD OF OZ, SUMMER STOCK, and A STAR IS BORN. When I was a kid I loved her movie A CHILD IS WAITING.

Fave Judy songs, THE MAN THAT GOT AWAY and GET HAPPY!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 07:11:47 AM »

Going for a walk before it starts getting hot.

Going for a walk (4 degrees C) before it starts getting cold (minus 1 later on).

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2004, 07:13:43 AM »

Finished Kritzer Time last night. What a wonderful emotional joy-ride that book was for me. There were so many things in it that I could identify with and that made it so much fun for me. And it was like a travelogue of Los Angeles!

I truley enjoyed this book, as well as the other two Kritzer books! Thanks Bruce!!!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2004, 07:15:36 AM »

Bruce and Woody,

I know this is a private time, but I hope it helps to know that your family is in our thoughts.

Emily

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2004, 07:19:05 AM »

Going for a walk (4 degrees C) before it starts getting cold (minus 1 later on).

Oy.  Isn't it May yet?

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2004, 07:24:53 AM »

Dear Friend BK, I've put on my deerstalker and I know what's behind those walls!  Dead rats indeed!   I think it's more sinister than you've led us to believe!  I have to consult with my panel of experts - Mr Poe, Miss Christie, Mr Conan Doyle - and I will solve the case!

So, Judy.  I hate to say it, but my two favorite songs as well are from MEET ME IN ST LOUIS and A STAR IS BORN:  "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" and "The Man that Got Away," the two numbers that for me epitomize the films they are in.  I think she's wonderful in JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG, but I haven't seen the film in years now, and I like THE HARVEY GIRLS a lot.  As for that film about Dorothy Gale from Kansas, it's one of the greatest fantasies ever committed to celluloid, and the songs ain't bad either!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2004, 07:39:28 AM »

My favorite? No question about it - The Trolley Song.

Panni

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2004, 07:45:47 AM »

I think she's wonderful in JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG, but I haven't seen the film in years now,

I didn't want to post it, lest I be accused of being a morose Magyar, but now that you've brought it up, I can. She was heartbreaking in that film, as was poor Monty Clift.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2004, 07:48:17 AM »

Like DR William E. Lurie, it seems cruel to have to have any limits to favorite Garland songs since I adore everything she did, even on her TV show when sometimes her voice was not at its optimum. But choices:

movies - A STAR IS BORN, EASTER PARADE

movie songs: "The Man That Got Away" "Better Luck Next Time"

TV series songs: "As Long as He Needs Me" "Just in Time"

I also rank IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME as one of her best efforts, but as I said a week or so ago after I watched it, my biggest disappointment was that Warners didn't include her outtake footage of "Last Night When We Were Young" (obviously to be sung after getting stood up at the restaurant by Dear Friend). It's on the laserdisc as a bonus feature and is one of Judy's most moving and heartbreaking performances. I guess it was edited out because it's TOO emotional for the basically lighthearted piece, but it should have been an extra on the DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2004, 07:56:29 AM »

I was about to post my favorite Judy Garland movies, and see that they match DR Matt H's - Easter Parade, and A Star Is Born.

I saw Easter Parade with my dad, when I was in my very young teens. After the picture my father and I schmoozed about the leading ladies. Judy Garland captured my heart, but Ann Miller really caught my father's fancy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2004, 08:17:33 AM »

SWW:  we know what you're going through, having had to put both our elderly dogs to sleep over the last two years.  This is the first time in our lives we haven't had at least one dog, and it's been hell.  We're already counting the days until after our vacation is over this summer and we can get at least one new dog.  We're thinking of getting them from a local Golden Retriever rescue organization.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2004, 08:19:15 AM »

Not a whole film per se, but the outtakes of Judy's aborted work on Annie Get Your Gun provide at least one great laugh--when the director yells cut during, I think, "I'm an Indian, Too" and Judy gives him a look like "I can kill you now, or I can kill you later--your choice."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 08:19:46 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2004, 08:24:55 AM »

I think I didn't list THE WIZARD OF OZ or MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS simply because I've overdosed on them. Their quality and entertainment value is so immense that repeated viewings in my house are an almost monthly occurrence. On the other hand, some of her other films don't get as often a playing and I tend to really appreciate them all the more when I do sit down and decide to watch them.

That song in THE HARVEY GIRLS is "It's a Great Big World." And Warners very kindly supplised us with THE HARVEY GIRLS outtake musical numbers, and I'm delighted to have them looking and sounding so good.

BTW, I love Judy's "Madame Crematon" number from ZIEGFELD FOLLIES, too. What a delightful routine Charles Walters dreamed up for the chorus boys to do in support of Judy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2004, 08:30:14 AM »

LOL JMK - and there is always the take when he cuts to soon and Judy says:  "You didn't let me say my line!"

Well.....Wizard of Oz and A Star is Born but coming in a close third is I Could Go On Singing.

I also really like For Me and My Gal.

As for songs:  The Man That Got Away, But Not for Me, and Zing! Went The Strings of My Heart.

I really liked just about everything Judy did - and the DVD collection of her television series is one of the BEST things that ever happened on DVD!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2004, 08:36:15 AM »

I'm awake.  I slept pretty well.  It's helpful that I get fairly stuffed up, nose-wise, during the evening.  I awoke to the buzzing of a fly, however, and I do think until nature takes its course that that will be a bit of a nuisance.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2004, 08:37:18 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week....a lobby card from COUNTERPLOT.  Great hat!   8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2004, 08:37:49 AM »

Maybe the fly can lead you to the dead rodent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up