Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: TRUE GRITS  (Read 94532 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:TRUE GRITS
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2004, 06:52:43 PM »

MBARNUM - it was said in 3-D Jane could put BOTH your eyes out!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2004, 06:56:49 PM »

I remember seeing part of a commercial for some movie starring Jayne Mansfield (I think) and she walked into a room and said, "Step back gentlemen, I take deep breaths."  That line always made me laugh.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2004, 06:58:25 PM »

Page Eight Dance!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2004, 07:08:55 PM »

Click here for a REAL dance treat.

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~alexann/
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 07:09:29 PM by JRand53 »

Jennifer

« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2004, 07:18:34 PM »

BK, did you ever figure out why the dead rodent smell just disappeared?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2004, 07:22:39 PM »

Thank you, elmoore.  Now that you've finished the three, do your amazon and barnesandnoble reviews as well as posting your thoughts here on the KT board.

I did the KT Board.  I have to think about what I want to say on amazon.com and B&N; my reviews are so somber, I don't know if I'd attract or repel potential readers who would love the books!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #216 on: April 28, 2004, 07:24:01 PM »

Re: tipping

I think it's easier to figure out for restaurants or taxis.

And of course you are supposed to tip the guy who brings your bags up to your room.

But there are some areas that are less clear.  For example does everyone tip their hotel maid?

Jennifer

« Reply #217 on: April 28, 2004, 07:29:37 PM »

I won't spoil American Idol. But I thought how they split the groups was the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #218 on: April 28, 2004, 07:50:39 PM »

MBARNUM - it was said in 3-D Jane could put BOTH your eyes out!

At first, before I remembered,I saw my name and wondered what you were saying about me-LOL

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #219 on: April 28, 2004, 07:53:15 PM »

Jennifer I don't consistently tip the maid, but I'm trying to be better about that.  I won't tip if the room hasn't been cleaned well.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #220 on: April 28, 2004, 08:22:24 PM »

RE: The Muppet Show -  I LOVED The Muppet Show!  -And it's one of those shows that I actually may end up buying on VHS - are they available on DVD yet?  I still remember Linda Ronstandt singing "Blue Bayou" with all those frogs.   :)
We recently bought four DVDs of the Best of the Muppet Show.  Each has three episodes, introduced by Jim Henson's son Brian (the new voice of Kermit), with some cut scenes and other stuff.  But let's face it, the real deal is the shows themselves.

Since the discs have no "volume" numbers on them, I'll have to identify them by their spine colors:

Lime Green: Peter Sellers, John Cleese, and Dudley Moore.
Tangerine: Harry Belafonte, Linda Ronstadt, and John Denver.
Deep Turquoise: Elton John, Julie Andrews, and Gene Kelly.
Goldenrod: Mark Hamill, Paul Simon, and Raquel Welch.

They were real cheap at WalMart when we bought them, but I'm not sure if the sale is on now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #221 on: April 28, 2004, 08:30:37 PM »

I’m paranoid now and keep feeling things, that aren’t there, crawling all over my body.
Just imagine that they are Keith's hands.  You'll feel better.

Well, it might help.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #222 on: April 28, 2004, 08:37:06 PM »

RE AMERICAN IDOL tonight:  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #223 on: April 28, 2004, 08:37:35 PM »

Good Evening!

-Good show tonight.  The audience, however, was a bit so-so... mainly a bunch of middle school and high school private school girls.  I don't mind the school groups, but, unfortunately, by the time they've gotten to the theatre, they've usually spent the entire day touring the city, eating some major dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe... and THEN they "have" to sit through a show... Ah, well...  They did applaud nicely during the curtain calls.

OK, enough talk about ticks.  After my possible diagnosis of Lyme disease last week...  ugh..  :o

As for tipping...  Just make sure you have a good supply of ones and fives on you - yes, I know that can get bulky in a wallet, but it's necessary.  There have been a number of times where I've ended up overtipping a bell captain just because I didn't have small bills in my wallet.  However, sometimes that has paid off.  -The last time I was in NYC, I ended up tipping the guy $10 just for showing me up to my room - I just had an overnight bag with me.  But each time I saw him downstairs, he always made sure to check in with me, and ask if I needed any suggestions for where to go for dinner, etc.  -And he came in real handy when I wanted to grab a cab during a particularly crazy time of the day.  -Plus, he was darn cute, so...  ;D

As for getting to the Public - I'd take the subway.  Very convenient, and the Public is only two blocks aways from the stop - which I can't remember right now.  However, if a taxi is the way you must go, just be sure to time your trip correctly.  Rush hour is always bad, and pre-theatre time can be worse - depending where you grab your cab.  It's worth the extra walk over to one of the less congested Avenues to grab a cab downtown.

And as for tipping cabbies - like others have mentioned, I usually just base it on what I can give the cabbie without having to worry about getting change back - again, if I have enough small bills in my wallet.

And as for tipping in restaurants, 20% has become the norm.  In NYC - and other cities, I usually just double the tax.  Easy-peasy.  *Does that whole conundrum still exist as to whether you tip on the pre-tax or post-tax amount?  *Oh, and if I'm eating somewhere "cheap", I usually tip at least what the waiter/ress would have made for the hour.  So, if my bill comes to $5.50, I usually leave $8.00.  -Yes, I have too many friends who are actors... who wait tables.

Ok - Time for my pre-bedtime tea...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #224 on: April 28, 2004, 08:38:38 PM »

And you couldn't say "Today was my last time at Todai"...?
Todai, Todai
I'll eat no more Todai
Todai will be no more 'til I starve...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #225 on: April 28, 2004, 08:41:41 PM »

That still of Jane Russell was from THE FRENCH LINE which was filmed in 3-D, wasn't it?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2004, 08:46:35 PM »

Oohh...

Guess what I just had with my tea?!?!?

Guess?!??!

HUH!?!?

Well.. I just had a Special Edition Almond Joy - White Chocolate, Pina Colada.  Quite interesting, and actually pretty good.  And the pineapple flavor wasn't too cloying, so...

Now let's see if I sleep tonight...

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2004, 08:56:31 PM »

Re tipping, der Brucer and I heard a couple of horror stories tonight over at the Purple Parrot.

There was a Women's Conference in town a couple of weeks ago, and Heather (whom I happen to like) was working the upstairs bar with Will.  One of the Conferencees came up, ordered about sixteen dollars worth of drinks (including a couple of frozen drinks), and only put down a quarter for a tip.

Apparently some of her friends got on her case about undertipping, so she left another 50 cents on the bar.

It gets worse.  Another group of women came in, when Heather was working the downstairs bar, and went upstairs.  Aparently Mike was working upstairs, and got a bit miffed when one of the women told him "We don't tip men."  He shot back "Well, then you'd better not expect any service."  The woman stormed out of the place, spewing epithets, and started spreading word around town that the P. P. "doesn't serve women!"  

At some point, we've got to start using the phrase "Female Chauvinst Pig."

Note to Danise: TIP EVERYBODY!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 09:01:01 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2004, 09:00:18 PM »

As for Jay's question earlier, der Brucer and I love scrapple.  No, it's not really all the anonymous parts of the pig.  It's also quite tasty, and much leaner than bacon.

We've been sampling the marketed brands since moving to the east coast, but today we dropped by a local produce market which sold their own scrapple and sausage.  We may be pigging out soon.

Remember, no groaning.

;D

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2004, 09:10:09 PM »

Jane: The canyon is about four hours away. It was my first trip up there in years.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #230 on: April 28, 2004, 09:24:03 PM »

Yes MATTH - it was!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2004, 09:53:08 PM »

Those bones could put an eye out!

Mr. Barnum, sometimes I question your sexual preference!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2004, 10:37:25 PM »

Mr. Barnum, sometimes I question your sexual preference!
That's not sexual preference, that's a worker's comp claim in the making!

Tomovoz

« Reply #233 on: April 28, 2004, 10:38:36 PM »

Welcome Beekay. I am not alone on this side of the world. Despite the intitials he is for real!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: April 28, 2004, 10:45:02 PM »

I'm back.  I totally forgot that I'd told someone I'd go to a reading of their film script.  It was supposed to start at seven and I remembered at seven-twenty.  I zoomed over to Burbank and arrived at seven-forty-five.  I walked in the door, they shoved a script in my hand and I found I was part of the reading.  I'd arrived literally five lines before my first line.  Who knew?  I thought I was going to listen, but I ended up reading several parts.  I jumped in with verve and never looked back.  All the others reading were amateurs except for the terrific Paul Dooley.  I hung afterwards and we had quite a nice chat.

I'm going to eat some chips, then I must write tomorrow's notes in a trice.

Tomovoz

« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2004, 10:51:19 PM »

Late post: Favourite muppet shows were with guest artists. Rita Moreno and Charles Aznavour.
Favourite sketch was probably "Camelot" (I got the horse right here. Belongs to Guenevere). Also loved Pigs in space and of course the wonderful Swedish Chef.
Variety: Carol Burnette Show and "The Entertainers" (also with Carol).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2004, 11:40:33 PM »

WUSSBURGERS, one and all.  Someday we're going to rediscover our late-night frenzies from our glory days - when we would all post until the wee small hours of the morning.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2004, 11:50:55 PM »

We recently bought four DVDs of the Best of the Muppet Show.  Each has three episodes, introduced by Jim Henson's son Brian (the new voice of Kermit), with some cut scenes and other stuff.  But let's face it, the real deal is the shows themselves.

Since the discs have no "volume" numbers on them, I'll have to identify them by their spine colors:

Lime Green: Peter Sellers, John Cleese, and Dudley Moore.
Tangerine: Harry Belafonte, Linda Ronstadt, and John Denver.
Deep Turquoise: Elton John, Julie Andrews, and Gene Kelly.
Goldenrod: Mark Hamill, Paul Simon, and Raquel Welch.

They were real cheap at WalMart when we bought them, but I'm not sure if the sale is on now.

You can get the whole Muppet Show DVD set (well, the 15 discs that are available) directly from Time-Life.  This link also lists the discs and what episodes are on each.  I was going to get the whole set when I got my income tax refund, but I after I got my car serviced, I spent most of what was left on CDs.  :D Oh well.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up