Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TRUE GRITS  (Read 94541 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:TRUE GRITS
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2004, 12:16:07 PM »

Am I the only one here who loved The Muppet Show?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2004, 12:16:19 PM »

Ah, Korvette's!  The BEST place to buy records.  They were always so much cheaper there.....  Where did you grow up?  Which Korvette's did you frequent?

I was born and bred in Camden, NJ.  Our Korvette's was in the wonderful Black Horse Pike Shopping Center.  And you are right, the best place to buy records.  They always had an ad in the Sunday paper, so you knew when something was coming out.  And once I started buying cast albums, I discovered their cut-out bin which became a treasure trove for me.  The toy department was something, too!

From some of your comments, DR D-T-M, sometimes I think that you are DR Jay's and my long lost brother!

Well, that could be--I always had a suspicion that I was adopted.  Tell me:  do you and DR Jay come from money? :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2004, 12:16:27 PM »

And now Presenting...

PAGE 4

(yeah, hooray, hoo and ray, yada, yada, yada)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2004, 12:19:01 PM »

Page Four Dance
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]An-Ni-Mal!!!  An-Ni-Mal!!![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2004, 12:23:26 PM »

First:  "American Idol" sucked last night.  Second, if last night's show was the first you watched, please refrain from presuming all the shows are like that one.  They have NONE OF THEM been as bad as last night's.

Fox did not put the contestants through so many mandatory "theme" nights in past competitions.  Last year, I recall, they did Burt Bacharach, and his songs are not easy to sing for most singers.  

Elton John wrote his songs for himself to sing.    Manilow, too.  Ditto Estefan.   Great songs for them, individually, but few singers can move from one to the other easily.  Chaos MUST ensue.

The pity is that the singers in this batch DO have good voices and have proven that in past shows.  But they're carted all over creation daily in special appearances,  and they are forced, week after week, to adapt themselves to singing styles different from what their personal styles are.  As a result, they are not showcased to their best advantage and it gives Simon -- who may be correct in his reaction to specific performances -- an opportunity to be "brutally honest" about a performance even Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake could not have pulled off with the rehearsal time they give the contestants.  My point:  The critiques are not fair given the circumstances under which the competition is being conducted.  That's why Paula bickers with Simon so much, I think.  She seems to get it...to take that into account.  And that may be why she's more generous in her assessments of some onerously bad performances.

I think the whole show needs an overhaul.

As for Elton John's "racist" remarks -- to hell with Elton John.  And don't shove that "Sir" down my throat here in the US of A.  He's totally nuts.  He also said that the three divas were consistently in the bottom three.  Rubbish.  Had that been true they'd all be gone.  Each had been there at least once, but that's the way things go for all the contestants.  

The three divas' fans let them down.  A couple of weeks earlier, they were all in the top three.  Unfortunately, with free, unlimited voting, the fans of the less talented desperately waged a battle to save their favorites from being the one to leave.  The result was that none of the divas' fans thought it necessary to vote hundreds of times each, and Jennifer was lost in that way...IMO.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 01:11:32 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2004, 12:32:07 PM »

I always had a suspicion that I was adopted.  Tell me:  do you and DR Jay come from money? :)

From your mouth to God's ears.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2004, 12:32:54 PM »

Ain't it the truth TCB.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2004, 12:34:48 PM »

During the 70s, I was in and out of the house so I saw television infrequently, but the Carol Burnett show was always worth watching.  Still is.

If they ever do something along the lines of The One Hundred Funniest Moments in Television History, Carol Burnett's entrance as Scarlett O'Hara in her curtain dress will surely be among the top five.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2004, 12:48:10 PM »

I don't think Pogue was saying there was racism - I think he was saying that OTHERS said there was racism.  At least I think that's what he was saying.

Yah that is what I meant.  When I said "DR Charles Pogue's post about racism" I meant what he wrote about Elton John saying that.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2004, 12:50:19 PM »

Ask BK Day
[/u][/b]

I have a question for BK, or anyone else that has watched the new DVD of SWEENEY TODD.  A lot of people online have been complaining that the new DVD version has almost completely faded out the audience reactions (applause, laughter) on the DVD.  Did you notice the difference, and if so, do you think it effects the quality of the DVD?  Do you think it is something that they might correct any time soon?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2004, 01:01:36 PM »

If racism was at the heart of the voting on AMERICAN IDOL, the four black contestants would have been the first four to be voted off. As it happens, five other contestants were voted off before one black person was. Quite obviously, people thought the divas were safe and voted for others to keep them in the competition.

Quite a few wonderful people could have been brought forward to the finals in place of no talents like Leah LaBelle and Camile Velasco. But they were told they had "Broadway voices" and thus eliminated. Once we get down to the top four and they get to do more than one song NOT wedded to some artificial theme of the week, the strengths of these singers can come to the fore. All of the remaining contestants (except John Stevens) have had some incredible performances during weeks when they could sing to their strengths. But a show like last night's did NO ONE any good and made everyone look like inept singers. Not really fair because there are some gifted people still in the competition.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2004, 01:02:12 PM »

And speaking of E J Korvettes...

Depending on what you've read it either was or was not named after Eleven Jewish Korean Vets
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2004, 01:03:38 PM »

A question for "American Idol" followers:

Given last night's "theme," how do you think Jennifer would have done in the Latin genre with an Estefan song?

Any better than Fantasia and LaToya?

Or much, much worse????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2004, 01:05:54 PM »

Ask BK Day
[/u][/b]

I have a question for BK, or anyone else that has watched the new DVD of SWEENEY TODD.  A lot of people online have been complaining that the new DVD version has almost completely faded out the audience reactions (applause, laughter) on the DVD.  Did you notice the difference, and if so, do you think it effects the quality of the DVD?  Do you think it is something that they might correct any time soon?

I think they routed the audience applause and reaction to the surround channels and dialed down the volume a tad of the surrounds, but I didn't notice any of it missing, just a bit softer and coming from a different location in my set-up.

I don't find that problematic at all.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2004, 01:10:21 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Just had lunch - a nice turkey and swiss sandwich from Potbelly Sandwich Works.  I had never really heard of Potbelly (except for the sorely missed restaurant in the Village), but, apparently, it's a national chain that seems to be doing quite well.  -And most of the cast of EDEN seemed to live off of Potbelly sandwiches on tour.  So... Where was I?  Well, the sandwich was good - and I even got it "skinny" - where they cut out most of the "filler" in the sandwich roll.  It's mainly a request for those on a lower-carb diet, but, for me, for now, it's mainly so I don't find myself too full.

-Now if I just get the coughing that starts to creep up on me whenever I start talking.  Guess I need to put myself on vocal rest for a few days while my throat continues to heal up.

RE: The Muppet Show -  I LOVED The Muppet Show!  -And it's one of those shows that I actually may end up buying on VHS - are they available on DVD yet?  I still remember Linda Ronstandt singing "Blue Bayou" with all those frogs.   :)

RE: American Idol - Judging from all the updates and opinions posted here, it looks like the timing with the opening of my show seemed like I good thing.  I haven't seen any of the shows past the initial elimination rounds.  -I still can't believe John Stevens is still in the running.  There's a neat article in yesterday's USA Today about the possibility of John Stevens becoming the next American Idol - and the very negative effects it could have on the future of the program.

RE: Grits - I go through phases with grits.  Sometimes I really crave them and like them, and sometimes I just don't care at all.  My mom actually used to make them for us when we were growing up.  I'm not exactly sure where she first tried them since she was born in the Philippines, and she spent most of her "early life" in the States in New England...  Probably something she picked up during her work as a hospital dietitian.  In any case, I usually like my grits with lots of butter and sugar.  However, texture is a big thing here, and the cooking technique and time can have a big influence on just how much I like them at a particular time.  I tried "red eye gravy" once... and I think that will be the only time.  It wasn't an unpleasant experience, just not one I'd like to repeat.  -I think it mainly has to do with the ham component - sometimes those traditional Smithfield-type hams are just too salty and briny for me.  And then you combine that with black coffee.. hmm...

OK - Time to get some work done before heading into the show...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2004, 01:13:21 PM »

DR RLP, I suspect Jennifer vocally might have come up with something more exciting (you know I was a BIG fan of hers), but she couldn't have moved as well as Fantasia or LaToya, both of whom I thought were very entertaining despite lackluster vocals on ill-suited songs. I thought both of them MOVED to their music superbly, really getting into the spirit of the rhythm. It's not their fault the music itself was ill=suited to their vocal prowess. Like you, I blame the producers of the show who mistakenly think adding some guest judge/music theme each week is a way to keep the competition fresh.

I have nothing against themes that are broad enough like "movie songs" to encompass all styles of singing. If you're a talented singer, you can find something in the movies you can relate to and do right by.

But Estafan, John, and Manilow themes were short-sighted and stupid. Manilow week turned out OK because he worked obviously long hours with the contestants and rearranged the songs to suit each one of them. No surprise that the Elton John and Gloria Estafan weeks were the worst in terms of performance excellance.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2004, 01:15:12 PM »

DR Jose asked: "RE: The Muppet Show -  I LOVED The Muppet Show!  -And it's one of those shows that I actually may end up buying on VHS - are they available on DVD yet?  I still remember Linda Ronstandt singing "Blue Bayou" with all those frogs."

Yes, there is an entire series of MUPPET SHOW releases with three half hour shows per release. They're wonderful.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2004, 01:19:08 PM »

I have been watching PATTERNS, the movie version of Rod Serling's Emmy-winning teleplay about the cutthroat world of big business. I was hoping this might be a DVD of the original TV kinescope, but it was the quickly made 1956 film version with some of the same cast as the TV original.

It's a lousy budget DVD (I think I paid $5.66 for it), incidentally, with fuzzy, jittery picture and sound dialed up so loud I had to turn my receiver WAY DOWN in dire fear my eardrums were going to rupture. I still like the movie, however.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2004, 01:20:35 PM »

Am I the only one here who loved The Muppet Show?

NNOOOOO YOU'RE NOT!!!  I LOVED The Muppet Show.  About 10 years ago (maybe a little less), The Family Channel (before it officially became known as the ABC/Family channel) rebroadcast a bunch of the episodes.  I taped all that I could (about 60 episodes, I think).  There are only 45 episodes available on DVD (3 episodes each on 15 DVDs).  I remember reading a book that said that there were around 120 episodes total.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2004, 01:27:08 PM »

Let me say this about grits:

Grits -- tiny particles of ground white corn.  Cooked with water until you achieve a texture you like...thin and soupy or thick and creamy.

I don't put sugar or syrup on an ear of corn, nor do I put either item into creamed corn, or just plain corn kernels on a plate.

Why on EARTH would I want anything OTHER than butter, salt and pepper on grits???????  

I would NOT.

This is some perversion created to make folks think grits could be like oatmeal and cream of wheat.  These are cereals.

Grits ain't cereal.  Grits is grits!

Butter 'em, salt 'n' pepper 'em, and eat 'em with eggs and bacon or sausage or ham and toast.  On occasion, add some cheddar cheese to the grits before serving and stir to mix until the cheese is thoroughly melted.

And I'm not going to say any more about it.

:)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 01:29:29 PM by RLP »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2004, 01:33:19 PM »

Simon:  The past two weeks, Simon has told LaToya that she was very good.

Last night:  Simon said she needed the performance she gave -- not that her weak vocal helped her much, but that she needed the movement she added because she had become boring.

Last two weeks: Very good.  This week: She had been boring before last night.

What, out of curiousity, should LaToya have gleaned from that "insight"?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2004, 01:36:11 PM »

When you are traveling south of the M/D line, the waitress always asks you if you want grits or potatoes with your breakfast.

And what about those John Stevens death threats?  Someone is taking this show TOO seriously!

I am watching ONCE A THIEF on TCM.  Never saw it before....so far...okay.  On Monday evening, Robert Osborne said that Minnelli wanted Alain Delon for the role that Glenn Ford played in Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse...MGM said no.  I guess, seeing Delon here, he would have been a more age appropriate actor to play Julio.  BUT they also had Paul Henreid, Charles Boyer, Karl Boehm, and Ingrid Thulin (though  dubbed by Angela Lansbury) and maybe they figured one more accent would have been TOO much!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2004, 01:39:03 PM »

All this talk of grits and I'm surprised no one has yet come out with

:-*  KISS MAH GRITS!   :-*
-- Anaïs Nin

Jed

« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2004, 01:47:08 PM »

Re: grits...

My grandfather, born in Spokane and raised in Idaho, was stationed somewhere in the South for awhile when in the Marines during and after WWII.  He headed into town for breakfast one morning with a few other guys from the base, and the waitress, of course, asked if he wanted grits with his meal.  This clueless Northwest boy, not wanting to look a fool, replied, "Sure, I'll take a couple of 'em."
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2004, 01:53:13 PM »

All this talk of grits and I'm surprised no one has yet come out with

:-*  KISS MAH GRITS!   :-*

Thank you, Flo! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2004, 02:01:12 PM »

I'll bus that table....I'd like ta bus it to a better location!

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2004, 02:03:06 PM »

DR RLP is right. Grits can be mighty, mighty tasty, but they don't need too much fancy faldoral. Salt, pepper, butter, cheese if you want to get "fancy." Most people who grow up in the South grow up eating grits or at least trying them. The rest of the world usually doesn't get tuned in to them at all.

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2004, 02:09:41 PM »

Does anyone at HHW have the CD soundtrack of the Noel Coward/Mary Martin TV special TOGETHER WITH MUSIC?

I have the 2-LP set, but I never bought it on CD because I think I read somewhere (SHOW MUSIC?) that some numbers had been eliminated to make it fit on one CD? Is this right, or did I hallucinate it?

Jay

« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2004, 02:11:01 PM »

Given its name, I always thought grits would be something along the lines of kasha (aka buckwheat.)  You know, something with robust flavor.  Something you could chew on.  Needless to say, I was mightily let down when I had my first encounter with grits.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 02:23:14 PM by Jay »

Jay

« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2004, 02:13:27 PM »

My favorite recurring segment on The Muppets Show series:

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
PIGS

IN

[size=8]SPACE[/size]
[/b][/color][/move]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up