Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TRUE GRITS  (Read 94518 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TRUE GRITS
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2004, 08:14:58 AM »

If one is going to be a stickler, I suppose frogs' legs would be correct since I suspect your order will include more than two legs. However, there are a few singular or plural apostrophe words that have passed into general use with the apostrophe being dropped. "Masters degree" is another example.

I still think Bette Davis should have won that Oscar. Celeste Holm thought so, too, even though supposedly Bette wasn't especially nice to her during shooting.

I watched Bob Hope's THE PALEFACE yesterday. Beautiful Technicolor, but Jane Russell is just too big boned a woman to be wearing frills and bustles. Makes her look huge. Universal did a nice job mastering this for DVD with SORROWFUL JONES also on the disc.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2004, 08:39:41 AM »

Thanks, Matt, for the frogs' legs.

Judy Holliday and fellow nominee Gloria Swanson were watching the Oscars that night from a New York restaurant, along with other nominees. They sat together, and it seems that Judy showed real empathy toward Gloria. Also present were Celeste Holm and Thelma Ritter. What an interesting evening that must have been.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2004, 08:43:18 AM »

Speaking of frogs' legs or frog's legs, this reminds me of something I saw on this week's The Restaurant.  Rocco was in the kitchen cutting (what I think were frogs).  But I think they were alive.  It happened so fast.  But they looked like frogs' legs and they were moving. And he was chopping.  Could they have been alive? :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2004, 09:02:57 AM »

elmoore: I wouldn't  be surprised if you were right.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2004, 09:06:07 AM »

my ASK BK DAY QUESTION:

Best Possible Cast for THE MOST HAPPY FELLA?
Using the talent pool available right now.
Later we can see dead rodents, I mean use people who have already passed on.

I'm not the one to ask this question because I saw Mr. Robert Weede do the show and that was it - no one will ever erase that memory and no one will ever best it.  I really don't know enough about any of the newer crop of opera singers who'd be the right age.  I saw Spiro Malas in the revival and thought him okay.  Saw John Raitt do it but he was way too old and his voice is not right for Tony.  Saw whoever did it in the PBS taping and it was okay, too - but Mr. Weede WAS Tony in the same way Mr. Carious WAS Sweeney.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2004, 09:08:59 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JOE!!![/move]

Question for BK:  Was the stint on the Dinah Shore variety show your only experience in the genre?  Aside from that particular experience, do you like working in that kind of format?  What were your fav variety shows of all time? (I'd like to hear other DR favs, too.)

I also did four Donny and Marie shows.  I love the variety show format and have been saying for years that the first person who does one now (as long as it's good) is going to have the new ratings winner.  Dinah was a terrible show, unfortunately.  No one had a clew as to what it was supposed to be.  As far as favorite variety shows of all time - first and foremost, The Jack Benny Program, followed by Red Skelton and Danny Kaye.  I also enjoyed the first season of Sonny and Cher, and I loved the Smothers Brothers show.

VinTek

• Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2004, 09:11:54 AM »

Hi all,

Thought I'd pop out of lurker mode long enough to say hello and post a couple of questions.

First question:  What shows or movies were bad enough to make you walk out?  For me, the show was Aspects of Love (which played here at BK's beloved Wiltern Theater).  The movie was "The Blair Witch Project."

2nd question:  Does anyone have a spare copy of the "Haines His Way" CD that they'd be willing to sell?  My wife has decided that she likes BK's voice very much (from the Kritzer CDs.  We got those when we purchased the books at Bookfellows a few weeks ago) and I find that the person I lent my Haines CD to has lost it in a move.

BTW, I've finished all three books and will post my impressions when I get the time (short version: I liked them!  I really really liked them!).

Thanks all.  Re-entering Lurker Mode now.
Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets, then teams up with 3 complete strangers to kill again
- Marin County newspaper listing for The Wizard of Oz

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2004, 09:30:11 AM »

Hands down:  The Carol Burnett Show.  With or without the lovely Lyle Waggoner.  With or without the exceedingly funny Tim Conway (especially when paired with Mr. Korman.)  The skits, the mini-musicals, the fact that she had Kay Cole guest star one week...it was just the bee's knees, in terms of variety shows.....

Ah, the CBS Saturday nights of my youth:  All in the Family, MASH, Mary, Bob and Carol.

(Only rivaled by the ABC Friday nights:  Bradys, Partridges, Odd Couple, Room 222 and Love, American Style.)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2004, 09:32:10 AM »

Question for BK:

Surely you appeared on aforementioned Love, American Style?  Yes or no?  Was it one of those weeks when Stuart Margolin happened NOT to be on?  (It was rare that he wasn't, wasn't it?)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2004, 09:37:53 AM »

There were a couple of shows that I never did that I should have - Love, American Style being one of them, and Room 222 being the other.  Don't know why really.

VinTek, yes be sure to post your impressions.  And I have a spare copy of the Haines CD - down to my last few but I'm happy to sell you one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2004, 09:38:24 AM »

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2004, 09:38:55 AM »

I had a nice sleep, so I must have either been very stuffed up or it must be getting a bit better.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2004, 09:44:23 AM »

Loved variety shows. I'd have to say that Red Skelton was my favorite though Carol was also wonderful, and Julie Andrews' variety show was a masterwork for the one season it ran. Ditto Judy Garland's one season run - as someone pointed out yesterday, thankfully, we have all those shows on stunning DVDs with multi-channel sound that really bring back memories.

I agree with bk about The Smothers Brothers. Their variety show was loads of fun, and I even liked their one season sitcom when Tommy was an angel helping Dickie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2004, 09:46:19 AM »

Do talk/variety shows count?  I remember the Mike Douglas show with great fondness.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ben

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2004, 09:59:37 AM »

My favorite variety show was The Carol Burnett Show. Even though I never saw them until after broadcast, the Judy Garland Show(s) were quite wonderful when they let Judy be Judy. In spite of the problems (the Jerry Van Dyke sidekick, etc) she was able to shine through and do what she did best, which was sing and make people laugh and feel good.

I also have fond memories of Hollywood Palace on ABC.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 10:00:51 AM by Ben »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2004, 10:11:56 AM »

Countdown to 40,000 posts.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2004, 10:12:50 AM »

Speaking of frogs legs, tickets go on sale in early June for the Lincoln Center production of THE FROGS.  I assume they will not be using a swimming pool.  Nathan Lane has adapted the book and is starring in it along with Peter Bartlett and Chris somebody from some sitcom.

Everytime I think television has hit a new low something comes along that is even lower.  I just read about the Baba Wawa baby special that is on this weekend.  She found an unwed 16-year-old pregnant girl who will give up her baby to the winning couple (out of five) who will compete for the right to adopt him or her on this show.  It will probably be the top rated show of the week, but the whole idea of it makes me ill.  It's bad enough that ABC/Eisner would televise this, but the fact that people will watch it is even worse.  I hope I am wrong and it is not a ratings winner, but that still won't make up for the whole disgusting idea of this.  I know several DRs are big fans of reality shows and I would like them to post if they will watch this and what they think of the idea of it.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2004, 10:13:25 AM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.  Come out of lurkdom - you, too, can become a member of the Dead Rodent's Society.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2004, 10:16:10 AM »

Carol Burnett has to be my all time fave, too.  Incidently, her show provided me with a short cut into the world of musical theatre.  One week, she did one of her "Mini Musicals" that featured the work of Sondheim (I still had an audio tape of that somewhere!)  The next day I asked my mom to pick up the cast album of A Little Night Music at Korvette's.

Two other shows I liked were the Dean Martin and the Andy Williams shows.  Dean Martin was great because the guests more often than not picked up on Martin's casual manner and would behave (or misbehave) accordingly.  And Andy Williams must have been taping just down the hall from Laugh-In judging by how often members of the cast would pop up.  The format was pretty free-wheeling--songs would turn into comedy skits and vice-versa.  I liked the talking bear a lot, too.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

VinTek

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2004, 10:16:36 AM »

Of all the variety shows, I think I most consistently watched The Hollywood Palace.  I felt that the Carol Burnett shows had moments of brilliance interspersed with sketches I just didn't think were that funny (too often, the players (most often Tim Conway and Harvey Korman) would break up laughing during the sketch, which ruined it for me).  I also remember enjoying The Smothers Brothers, which probably put me a little ahead of my peers (I was born in 1960).
Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets, then teams up with 3 complete strangers to kill again

VinTek

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2004, 10:18:10 AM »

Bruce,

Will send you an e-mail to arrange for the purchase of a CD.  Thanks very much.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2004, 10:18:46 AM »

My pleasure.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2004, 10:26:19 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Yeah!  Another good night's sleep!  I actually got up around 10:00, but didn't get out of bed until around 11:30... Now I'm just trying to figure out if I'm feeling still a wee bit groggy because I slept too much, or if I need to take a nap before the show tonight.  We shall see...

BK - Apparently, the variety show that ABC did with Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson on Easter Sunday was quite the ratings hit and surprise.  So much so, that they're already planning on a few more specials with them... Hmmm...

Question for BK - and others out in the LA environs - Was/is it really that hot out there in LA?  I finally caught the news the past few days, and I didn't realize you were hitting the triple digits!  And, BK, with you turning off the A/C and opening a window in order to dissipate the dead rodent smell...

Do you think any particular network - of the big three, ABC, CBS, NBC - is more suited to producing an "ole time" varitey show?  Or is more a matter of the producer?  -I still remember "The Big Show" - wished that had lasted longer.

OK - Well, I need to lie down for a bit... We'll see if that turns into a nap...

Later...

Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2004, 10:34:31 AM »

Speaking of frogs legs, tickets go on sale in early June for the Lincoln Center production of THE FROGS.  I assume they will not be using a swimming pool.  

I wouldn't bet against that, yet.  There's been more water on Broadway stages during the past two years than in my swamp of a back yard.

Everytime I think television has hit a new low something comes along that is even lower.  I just read about the Baba Wawa baby special that is on this weekend.  She found an unwed 16-year-old pregnant girl who will give up her baby to the winning couple (out of five) who will compete for the right to adopt him or her on this show.  It will probably be the top rated show of the week, but the whole idea of it makes me ill.  It's bad enough that ABC/Eisner would televise this, but the fact that people will watch it is even worse.  I hope I am wrong and it is not a ratings winner, but that still won't make up for the whole disgusting idea of this.  I know several DRs are big fans of reality shows and I would like them to post if they will watch this and what they think of the idea of it.

I don't think the couples are competing--from what I've read, this 20/20 segment just follows the 16-year-old girl as she personally interviews each couple and then decides who will be the best adoptive parents.

I have to admit, though, in my sick mind I think that a reality show that had potential parents vieing for a baby would be pretty funny.  I'm envisioning Fear Factor-type stunts where the couples have to deal with sleep deprevation and poo-filled diapers.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2004, 10:38:41 AM »

Yes, it is really that hot here.  Broilingly hot.

Any network could have a hit variety show if they found the right "theme" or people and if they did it the right way.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2004, 10:43:24 AM »

So as I was waiting for the bus this morning, all these people in cars were driving by and looking at me like they were expecting me to do something. I thought about those crazy people you see some times at bus stops serenading everyone around them, and I decided to give it a try. So I treated the passing cars to My Funny Valentine as I waited for the bus. Isn't that a great story?

Happy birthday, Joe!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2004, 10:44:41 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm....I liked Ed Sullivan and The Hollywood Palace, especially if the "host" was good.  But consistently, I think my favorite variety show was The Kraft Music Hall....favorite with a regular host:  The Gary Moore Show.

My question for Ask BK day - if a person from LA is cast in a show that is shot in NYC - i.e. William Schallert & Jean Byron in The Patty Duke Show - do they get a "moving and living" allowance or are they on their own.  I guess I am specifically thinking of LA or NYC actors who spend 3 or four months in Toronto or Vancouver filming series.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2004, 10:47:24 AM »

Of all the variety shows, I think I most consistently watched The Hollywood Palace.  

My family watched The Hollywood Palace a lot, too.  But I remember it being a sort of hit-or-miss show, depending on the guest host.  Some weeks, the show was strictly a song fest, which the adults probably enjoyed but bored me right out of my seven or eight-year-old gord.  But when a comic, or even frequent visitor Bing Crosby, hosted, there was much more variety in the procedes.  

Trivia question:  what was the former, well-known name of the Hollywood Palace Theatre?
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2004, 10:53:17 AM »

DR WEL: Re: this Friday's episode of 20/20 that you mentioned.

Apparently the promos for this show have been very controversial.  So much so that they changed them.

I won't watch, but IMO you misunderstood what the show is about.  The original promos might have used words like "reality tv" or "competition".   But it's not that at all.  I believe they are just following the story of a 16 yr old girl who has to choose which of 5 couples she will give her baby to.  It's not a competition, they are just documenting the process.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2004, 10:56:16 AM »

2nd question:  Does anyone have a spare copy of the "Haines His Way" CD that they'd be willing to sell?  My wife has decided that she likes BK's voice very much (from the Kritzer CDs.  We got those when we purchased the books at Bookfellows a few weeks ago) and I find that the person I lent my Haines CD to has lost it in a move.

Speaking of lost CDs...might someone (anyone) have a spare copy of "The Stephen Sondheim Album" WITH the extra bonus track that is not available at places such as amazon.com and footlight.com?  I lost mine (before I moved), and now since the dreaded label is no longer selling things on-line, I can't even (covertly) get it through them...which would have only been the absolute last resort...and I would have had someone else do it for me.

I loved the Carol Burnett Show.  I can barely remember watching the Donny and Marie Show...but I can remember it.  I do remember the Sonny and Cher Show.  I loved them all.

And Happiest of Birthdays, Dear Reader (by proxy) Joe!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up