Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TRUE GRITS  (Read 94779 times)

MBarnum

Re:TRUE GRITS
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2004, 05:32:53 PM »

Just got a delivery from Alpha DVD (www.oldies.com) and now have several old 1930s murder mysteries to enjoy:
THE PHANTOM BROADCAST
MURDER AT GLEN ATHOL
MIDNIGHT PHANTOM
GREEN EYES
THE KING MURDER
THE WOMAN CONDEMNED

I had never heard of any of them but they were cheap (5 bucks each) so I took a chance!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2004, 05:33:52 PM »

Thank you, elmoore.  Now that you've finished the three, do your amazon and barnesandnoble reviews as well as posting your thoughts here on the KT board.

Danise: I don't do anything special when I get a part (let's face it - it's very rare when I do an acting gig - haven't done that regularly since 1983) - I try to stay out of situations where I could catch something, but that's about it.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2004, 05:34:32 PM »

Loved variety shows back in the good old days. Watched them all. Faves: Garry Moore Show, Carol Burnett Show, Ed Sullivan, Smothers Brothers, Dean Martin, sometimes Sonny and Cher, I even used to like Mitch Miller and his bouncing ball.
Last month PBS had on some Sinatra specials (with Ella, Jobim, etc.) Boy, were they good!

Danise

« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2004, 05:36:01 PM »

Jane, I forgot to put about the ticks.  Our horses and dogs used to get them (can't say I ever remember having any on me) but we used to light a wooden match, blow it out then touch the tick with it.  It would detatch itself very quickly no matter how deep it was buried.  You might want to try that.

Ticks carry lime disease so I hope Echo has had her shots for that!  B & B get theirs every year even though I haven't seen a tick on them.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2004, 05:36:48 PM »

Countdown to 40,000 posts.  I'd say we're getting within spitting distance, wouldn't you?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2004, 05:46:01 PM »

Now, now, now (that is three nows), no lulls.  Let's talk about girls slathered in butter.  Let's talk about more hot pies.  Let's tell the story of The Randy Vicar and the Swizzle Stick.

It is so nice to be able to walk into my bedroom and not smell any Dead Rodent.

Danise

« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2004, 05:47:08 PM »

Ok, but no spitting.  That's a nasty habit.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2004, 05:47:15 PM »

Do you know that if I made another one hundred and seventy posts this evening that not only would we reach 40,000 posts, but I'd personally reach 4,000.

Panni

« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2004, 05:48:00 PM »

My other question of the day: Tipping.How much should I give the following people:

The guy/gal that is going to pick me and the luggage up and drive me to/form the airport.

If it's a shuttle with other people - I usually just give one dollar per bag that they have to take on and off the vehicle (If you have two big bags and a tiny bag - count that as two bags total)

The guy/gal who takes my luggage at the airport..

Same thing.

The guy/gal porter at the hotel..

Same. But you might add a bit extra if he takes you up to the room, shows you how to work the AC, etc.

The maid.  And I have several questions about this..
Should I leave money for her every day or just one big tip when I leave?
WHERE do I leave the money?  On the dresser?  Should I put it In an envelope?  Or do I give it directly to her?
How much should I leave her?.

One tip when you leave. If she hasn't done anything other than her usual job, I just leave a dollar a night in an envelope with "Maid" written on it. On the desk, or anywhere visible. (if you're at a terribly posh hotel, this would be more.)
BTW - If a maid or housekeeper comes to your room on some special mission - you've asked for an extra blanket, etc. and you're there - give her a buck.

The cabbies.  How much of a tip should I give them?  I think I’ll only be using one cab to/from  the BWW concert at Joes Pub.

Depends. Someone from NY should get this one. I tend to overtip in cabs.

Anyone know how far that is from the Milford and how much I should expect to pay in fare and tip?

Don't know.

Is there anyone else I should tip? Besides at the restaurants, I think it’s 10% of the meal there.

NO on the 10%. Tip at least 15%. I always leave 20% - which is not unusual.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 06:00:00 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2004, 05:52:33 PM »

As for anyone else to tip - you'll be able to tell - For example, if anyone at the hotel has been particularly helpful and friendly - the doorman, for instance, give him/her a small tip as you leave.
This will be his face:  ;D

« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 05:53:40 PM by Panni »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2004, 05:57:07 PM »

Same. But you might add a bit extra if he takes you up to the room, shows you how to work the AC, etc.

The cabbies.  How much of a tip should I give them?  I think I’ll only be using one cab to/from  the BWW concert at Joes Pub.

Depends. Someone from NY should get this one. I tend to overtip in cabs.

Anyone know how far that is from the Milford and how much I should expect to pay in fare and tip?

All right, DRs Panni and Danise, let me see if I can help here.  Taxi fares just went up again.  I believe the taxi from midtown to the East Village will run you around $8.00, and since a 20% tip would make it $9.60, I'd estimate around $10.00 each way.  This may be high, but I don't think so.  Any other New Yorkers want to jump in here?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2004, 05:57:19 PM »

Thanks Panni!  I really wasn't sure and I don't want to be mean or cheep.  I honestly just wouldh't have known what to do.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2004, 05:59:34 PM »

I'm generous with taxi drivers because I hate figuring out the change.  

Danise

« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2004, 06:00:26 PM »

Thank you also, Elmore.  You must have posted the same time I did.  I didn't see your post.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Emily

« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2004, 06:01:19 PM »

Good evening all!

Or... as I originally typed that: Godd eveing all!

BK - I wish there was a series of books with a character with my exact name.  Mr. Kritzer (non-fiction) is a lucky guy - and you're even luckier to have gotten the chance to hear from him via this site.  A lovely story

Jennifer - If Rocco was cutting up live frogs, he is clearly is just as bad at being a compassionate carnivore as he is at managing his restaurant ;)

Grits = gross.  Or at least the ones I had while I was in M-I-DOUBLE "S"-I-DOUBLE "S"-I-DOUBLE "P"-I a few years ago.  But then I am not a big fan of black pepper and the grits I had were covered in the stuff.

Happy Birthday Joe!!! :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2004, 06:03:31 PM »

I'm watching Applause - the TV version with Miss Lauren Bacall.  I never heard of the girl who's doing Bonnie Franklin's part - not then, not now.  WEHT?

Danise

« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2004, 06:05:24 PM »

Hope you don't mind but I did a copy/paste to a word doc then I'm going to download it to my PDA so I'll have it with me in case I forget.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2004, 06:05:58 PM »

I'm generous because I'm glad to get out alive.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2004, 06:06:20 PM »

I start calculating about two or three blocks from where I'm going.  I round it up to the next dollar and then calculate the tip.  If the meter says $5.10, I'd still round it to $6.00 and with a $.90 tip, it's $7.00.  The cabbie makes out well, but they deserve it for enduring New York traffic.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2004, 06:08:00 PM »

Hope you don't mind but I did a copy/paste to a word doc then I'm going to download it to my PDA so I'll have it with me in case I forget.

That'll be 20%, Danise.  ;)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2004, 06:12:25 PM »

Jane, I forgot to put about the ticks.  Our horses and dogs used to get them (can't say I ever remember having any on me) but we used to light a wooden match, blow it out then touch the tick with it.  It would detatch itself very quickly no matter how deep it was buried.  You might want to try that.

Ticks carry lime disease so I hope Echo has had her shots for that!  B & B get theirs every year even though I haven't seen a tick on them.

We have a special pronged gadget that is great for removing ticks.  It is much easier than lighting a match.  

The vets we have gone to in Ashland didn’t think we should vaccinate her for Lyme disease so we stopped.  Each area is different.  This afternoon, after elmore mentioned my safety, it made me think we should get her tested for it.  I’m going to talk to the vet tomorrow.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Panni

« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2004, 06:14:14 PM »

I'm watching Applause - the TV version with Miss Lauren Bacall.  I never heard of the girl who's doing Bonnie Franklin's part - not then, not now.  WEHT?

Is it Penny Fuller? She was in Miss Rose White (her boss - can't remember what I called her - Miss Something)

Panni

« Reply #202 on: April 28, 2004, 06:16:44 PM »

Looked it up on IMDB ...Miss Ryan.

Danise

« Reply #203 on: April 28, 2004, 06:16:50 PM »

The check is in the mail, Panni!  

Jane, I'm sorry I should have said you could get it too.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2004, 06:32:45 PM »

DR Panni,

Your tipping style is much like mine, and quite different from most other Torontonians I've met. I have found Torontonians to be really stingy in the tipping department - and the odd thing is that cab drivers don't even complain. I've shared taxis with people from my building, and have often found myself in the position of slipping the driver another buck when I'm not handling the moolah. I have one friend who is extraordinarily wealthy, and her husband's tipping practices are appalling. I got to talking one day with a retired CN porter who lives in my building, and he told me that working stiffs were always his best tippers.

Panni

« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2004, 06:40:29 PM »

Dan-in-TO - I think most Canadians, not just Torontonians, are stingy tippers. Glad to hear you're not one of them!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2004, 06:41:47 PM »

No, Penny Fuller is Eve, both on B'way and TV.  It's Debbie somebody.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2004, 06:42:01 PM »

Debbie Bowen I think.  WEHT?

Jane

« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2004, 06:43:05 PM »

I just did research on the blood test for Lyme Disease.  It isn’t very accurate and not worth doing on Echo since her symptoms are different.

Jane

« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2004, 06:44:39 PM »

DearReader Laura you outdid your self with that photo.  Do you often walk the rim of the Grand Canyon?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up