Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS  (Read 52442 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »

It was lovely to watch "The Children's Hour" yesterday (on MGM-HD? or was it TCM?).   Nice to have the score from Kritzerland to preserve the memory.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2010, 11:15:24 AM »

Folks today don't read complete thoughts or complex sentences.  Paragraphs floor them.  Books in which a story is told can never replace the TV movies they can barely sit through.

And they can order them from Amazon or other online book sellers and have them delivered to the front door

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2010, 11:18:23 AM »

...it can be no clearer to me that the education system spits out functional illiterates by the scores.

Not so - they do not just spit them out - they parade them in cap and gown and laud their "progress"; you "old timers" don't appreciate that "self esteem" is more important than the ability to demonstate competence.

der Brucer

My 13 year-old Grandlad's five required book reports were all art projects - with the themes provided by the teacher.

He was using MS Word to generate the paste-up blurbs for his project - the software kept giving him error indications because he was putting periods at the the end of the sentence fragments which were part of a list 
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »

Welcome back Birthday Lady!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »

Folks today don't read complete thoughts or complex sentences.  Paragraphs floor them.  Books in which a story is told can never replace the TV movies they can barely sit through.

And they can order them from Amazon or other online book sellers and have them delivered to the front door

The reality is that you see a book in a bookstore that you want, then you go home and order from Amazon for 20-50% less.

That is what's killing bookstores.
You can dream…or you can do.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2010, 11:27:58 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's a lazy morning here in Canton, OH, as Richard and I prepare to move on to Ashland (OH, DR Jane, not OR  :'() for the Ohio Chautauqua.

My mom went to college in Ashland.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2010, 11:32:40 AM »

What really bothers me is how ignorant so much of the younger generation are today.

Do you every watch Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" segment?

I realize that they probably cut out the smart people (because they're not funny), but are the rest of them that stupid?

A couple weeks ago, they had a segment about the 4th of July.

Some of those idiots didn't even know what country America got its independence from.  One person said "Greece".

Don't they teach history or current events in school any longer?

The real tragedy is that these morons are allowed to vote.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2010, 11:33:51 AM »

Kids today (not ALL kids, but most kids) don't read because they are ADD, a disease that can be traced directly to MTV, the bombardment of constant images in quick succession, information coming out them non-stop aurally and visually - reading takes patience and understanding - two qualities that the two current generations lack in spades.  There are exceptions, of course.

The most shocking thing I've heard this year about our education system, and it shows just how far behind I am, is that they no longer teach handwriting in school - and boy does that explain my last helper's unbelievably childish scrawl - only printing they teach now - that, to me, is nauseating and disgusting and just another nail in the coffin of civilized behavior. 

Edisaurus

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »

A "We Miss You Matt post":

Tonight - season opener - THE CLOSER

der Brucer

I miss being part of the team tonight. I did bring them cupcakes from Camicakes, right around the corner from me. They were running behind so I waited to get the flavors I knew they would like the best. I also brought them bandaids in the shape of crime scene tape...very cute!

When I got to Turner, they had a big table set out in the lobby with sweets of different sorts, but the girls were very happy to get the Cami cakes.

I still plan on tuning in tonight, and wish them big numbers.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:22 AM »

These kids today...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »

Why I oughta...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:54 AM »

Back from the morning errand and now I shall try to write a few lines of dialogue.

Edisaurus

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2010, 11:36:29 AM »

I'm ready to walk down Seventh Avenue. I've accomplished most of what I needed to do at Toyland, so I'm outa here.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2010, 11:36:42 AM »

Wish I could bring you some for your birthday, DR Cillaliz! Have a happy day!

Edisaurus

« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »

Elmore, glad you such a nice visit to Ohio and got to spend some quality time with Ginny and Hahahaha Richard!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2010, 11:39:11 AM »

Kids today (not ALL kids, but most kids) don't read because they are ADD, a disease that can be traced directly to MTV, the bombardment of constant images in quick succession, information coming out them non-stop aurally and visually - reading takes patience and understanding - two qualities that the two current generations lack in spades.  There are exceptions, of course.

The most shocking thing I've heard this year about our education system, and it shows just how far behind I am, is that they no longer teach handwriting in school - and boy does that explain my last helper's unbelievably childish scrawl - only printing they teach now - that, to me, is nauseating and disgusting and just another nail in the coffin of civilized behavior. 

I'm told that they "teach for 'the test'," which, I understand, is basically math, science and basic English.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2010, 11:42:36 AM »

It can be traced not only to MTV, but TV in general, and the internet...

Edisaurus

« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2010, 11:42:59 AM »

TOD: Since we moved so much (7 different elementary schools!) I didn't stay in one place long enough to miss much, place-wise. We didn't have much money so we rarely went to restaurants, theatres. etc. and even if I did remember things like that I haven't been back to know whether they're there or not. But I often lament the areas of beautiful woods and terrain that has been leveled for some obscenely generic shopping mall/mixed use development/office park, etc.

Edisaurus

« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2010, 11:43:37 AM »

It can be traced not only to MTV, but TV in general, and the internet...

And Sesame Street, I've been told...

Laura

« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2010, 11:48:21 AM »

I have been told that I have to understand how young people are today. Like, they make a commitment and then don't show up. I have to understand how young people are.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Cillaliz!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »

I was raised in Detroit and have very good memories of my childhood.  What do I miss about Detroit? 1) The Pontchartrain Wine Cellars, 2) Little Harry's Restaurant, 3) Street cars, 4) The Ford Rotunda, 5) Downtown Hudson's at Christmas time, 6) Vernor's Ginger Ale, 7) Sanders hot fudge sundaes, 8) Soupy Sales (originally from Detroit), 9) the Van Dyke Place restaurant, and too many other things to mention. I hope that some of you have heard of a few of these places and things.

When we first moved to Michigan there was a Sander's near us.  At some point it closed.  I never made it downtown during Christmas to see the department stores.   I'm not a fan of Verner's.  Across the street from our second home was a big beautiful home once owned by a Verner.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2010, 12:11:21 PM »

Good morning, all! I went to bed at 9:30, read the new book on WEST SIDE STORY for abuot an hour and turned off the lights, so I got about 10 hours' worth of sleep last night, and I'm feeling pretty good. This afternoon at 3, I'm getting together with Andy Buck, a friend from my Drama Book Shop days whom I've not seen in around 15 years. That will be a lot of fun, I think.

I had to call the post office this morning and complain; on July 3, I put in a request to have my mail held from July 9-12, and when I got home yesterday, I found two letters and a brochure in my post box and two packages left under my door mat. I needed to complain to the ass in charge that they had screwed up - this is the second time in a year this has happened! - and to determine if there were more mail I should come to pick up. No wonder the damned morons running the US Postal System claim they're in trouble. Onceis an accident, twice is incompetence.

I have to do some laundry this morning. I guess I should get started.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday to DR Cillaliz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I can't get a neighbor to pick up the mail I stop it a day early to make sure it really stops.  I have also dropped off one card at the post office and put the other one in my mail box for the mailman to pick up.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2010, 12:12:59 PM »

I was raised in Detroit and have very good memories of my childhood.  What do I miss about Detroit? 1) The Pontchartrain Wine Cellars, 2) Little Harry's Restaurant, 3) Street cars, 4) The Ford Rotunda, 5) Downtown Hudson's at Christmas time, 6) Vernor's Ginger Ale, 7) Sanders hot fudge sundaes, 8) Soupy Sales (originally from Detroit), 9) the Van Dyke Place restaurant, and too many other things to mention. I hope that some of you have heard of a few of these places and things.

Oh, my, DR Thom, I grew up in Detroit, too, and your post could almost be MY post!  I miss the downtown Hudson's at ANY time of year, WJR (from the Golden Tower of the Fisher Building), the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Main Library, Hilberry Classic Theatre at Wayne State University, and the arches of elm trees that lined the residential streets.  The restaurant I miss is Snow White on Grand River.

I used to go to the DIA with my friends for special events. :)

Jane

« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »

Oh, my, DR Thom, I grew up in Detroit, too, and your post could almost be MY post!  I miss the downtown Hudson's at ANY time of year, WJR (from the Golden Tower of the Fisher Building), the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Main Library, Hilberry Classic Theatre at Wayne State University, and the arches of elm trees that lined the residential streets.  The restaurant I miss is Snow White on Grand River.

DR Ginny - I am happy to report that the Detroit Institute of Arts went through a major renovation and is now better than ever. I am a graduate of Wayne State University and I am a contributor to the Hilberry Theatre, which is still very active and important to the community.

I hadn't heard that.  As a special treat my friends and I would go to the Toledo Art Museum which I preferred.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »

DR elmore, HEALTH VIBES TO ADS JOSHIE!!!

Jane

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2010, 12:19:36 PM »

der Brucer

Yes and thank you for this exciting bit of news. :)

Jane

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »

der Brucer

I miss being part of the team tonight. I did bring them cupcakes from Camicakes, right around the corner from me. They were running behind so I waited to get the flavors I knew they would like the best. I also brought them bandaids in the shape of crime scene tape...very cute!

When I got to Turner, they had a big table set out in the lobby with sweets of different sorts, but the girls were very happy to get the Cami cakes.

I still plan on tuning in tonight, and wish them big numbers.

That is nice of you.  I haven't seen those cute bandaides.

Jennifer

« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2010, 12:29:21 PM »

Health vibes for Joshie. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up