Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS  (Read 52430 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS
« Reply #210 on: July 12, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »

DR Jane re: Lisa Gardner.

I'm not even sure how many books there are in the series (i only saw 3 on amazon.com). i'm not sure if it is a series where they follow closely. I don't think so. I really wanted to read the book (the neighbor). I am going to the library again today. So i will see if her books are there so i can take a look.

My mom is usually the one who reads mysteries and she loves janet evanovich/stephanie plum.

It is funny that you say that your brother reads almost exclusively male authors. I am the opposite. I read mostly female authors although not really intentionally. I read a lot of young adult books and most of them are written by women.

That isn't the opposite.  Jane's brother is a man and he reads mostly male authors.  You are a female and you read mostly female authors.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #211 on: July 12, 2010, 05:27:42 PM »

I'm not even sure how many books there are in the series (i only saw 3 on amazon.com). i'm not sure if it is a series where they follow closely. I don't think so. I really wanted to read the book (the neighbor). I am going to the library again today. So i will see if her books are there so i can take a look.

My mom is usually the one who reads mysteries and she loves janet evanovich/stephanie plum.

It is funny that you say that your brother reads almost exclusively male authors. I am the opposite. I read mostly female authors although not really intentionally. I read a lot of young adult books and most of them are written by women.

My brother's picks are intentional ;D  Knowing his tastes there really are very few women author's I would suggest to him.  Personally I think he is missing out on a lot of good books :)

Has he ever read J. A. Jance?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #212 on: July 12, 2010, 05:28:27 PM »

DR DerBrucer has your grandlad caught up on his reading skills? 

Sadly no.

Things keep geting in the way; scouts, little league baseball, PTA - literacy seems way down the list. I did manage to get him to the library and we took out some books; Daughter is not real pleased, she doesn't want the responsibility of keeping track of the books and ensuring their return! When I suggested maybe we should set aside an hour on the weekend to be "family reading time" she thought I was nuts. Frankly, considering how much grief his older brother (who is a years-ahead-of-grade-level reader) gets for not reading what Mommy wants, when Mommy wants, I don't blame him for not wanting to learn. Older brother and Mommy play contant control/power games over book reading. She still doesn't get it that his obstinance is one the few ways he has of controlling her. Last weekend when I took the kids to the movies, he took the dreaded read-it-now book with him - he read it quietly in the car until we got to the theatre, read quietly all the way back home, and then stayed in the car to keep reading when we got to the RV.

der Brucer

I'm very sorry. Maybe Mommy would give the older grandlad a break on her books if he helped his younger brother practice.

Jane

« Reply #213 on: July 12, 2010, 05:30:03 PM »

That isn't the opposite.  Jane's brother is a man and he reads mostly male authors.  You are a female and you read mostly female authors.

LOL.  I read a very good mix of both.  In fact I often don't notice the sex of the author when I initially pick up a book.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #214 on: July 12, 2010, 05:30:17 PM »

The news is full of the Mel Gibson story yet there is very little news regarding the fact that the Obama administration decided not to prosecute the Black Panther leader who wants to kill white babies. 

Change your channel.  FOX News has been keeping up a steady drum-beat day and night, on the New Black panther Party and the Admin's refusal to prosecute. Even discounting the FOX hyperbole, the Admistration comes off looking sad.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #215 on: July 12, 2010, 05:32:44 PM »

Greetings from Toyland! It's nice and cool here. I forgot one errand and I can do it tomorrow on my way to the NYU Dental Clinic. I've brought back to the office some reference books, including a bio of Lydia Lupokova, who was the featured ballet star of THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER in 1912. I'll hang out here for another 30 minutes or so before I walk down to 11th Street to meet Andy. I have to dig up some music here and take it home with me.

My adopted son Joshie can use some vibes; he went to Montreal and came back with a stomach disorder, although I doubt the two events are related. He has no health insurance until Encores! revs up in September so he could usethe vibes. Thanks!

Vibes for Josh!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #216 on: July 12, 2010, 05:36:43 PM »

My brother's picks are intentional ;D  Knowing his tastes there really are very few women author's I would suggest to him.  Personally I think he is missing out on a lot of good books :)

Not that I know of and I have only read one of her books.  In fact the other female writer I know of that he has read more than one book is J.K. Rowling.

Jane

« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »

The news is full of the Mel Gibson story yet there is very little news regarding the fact that the Obama administration decided not to prosecute the Black Panther leader who wants to kill white babies. 

Change your channel.  FOX News has been keeping up a steady drum-beat day and night, on the New Black panther Party and the Admin's refusal to prosecute. Even discounting the FOX hyperbole, the Admistration comes off looking sad.

der Brucer

Thanks.  I'm not watching.  I'm reading what pops up on the computer from Google and Yahoo.  Maybe if I go back more will be there now.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #218 on: July 12, 2010, 05:41:16 PM »

The news is full of the Mel Gibson story yet there is very little news regarding the fact that the Obama administration decided not to prosecute the Black Panther leader who wants to kill white babies.  Supposedly the case against him is excellent and there is enough to convict him.  Watch the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN67KJdd6Mw&feature=player_embedded

Unfortunately Fox seems to be the only network that is carrying the story.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

« Reply #219 on: July 12, 2010, 05:43:57 PM »

It is unfortunate. 

Jennifer

« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2010, 05:46:14 PM »

When do kids start to learn to read at school these days. Is it grade one?

They start in Pre- K!

der Brucer

There is not really pre-K here. But my niece is going to kindergarten in september. And they have not learned how to read yet. Although i think she is ready to learn.

I'm not sure if that is something they do in kindergarten here.

Jennifer

« Reply #221 on: July 12, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »

Well I guess it's not the opposite if you believe that male writers write for a male audience and female writers write for women.  I never really thought that way.  I just gravitate more towards the books written by women. But not because they are written by women.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #222 on: July 12, 2010, 05:50:36 PM »

Maybe Mommy would give the older grandlad a break on her books if he helped his younger brother practice.
Oh dear, no. Younger Lad must "learn" to read - just sitting with him and helping him whip through the material will never do!

der Brucer

The poor lad has always been mildly dyslexic and has survived with a very clever set of coping skills. At this juncture, I'm all for enhancing his "coping skills" until he gets up to grade level however he can. You would not believe the "correct way of learning to read" to which  these poor kids are being subjected - no more simple phonics. I couldn't figure out how do do his reading exercises that required word disassembly.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #223 on: July 12, 2010, 05:56:50 PM »

If something isn't working than try a new way.  Obviously you know this.  If he is mildly dyslexic I'm surprised his parents haven't been instructed on ways to help him.  Again I'm sorry for him and know how frustrating this is for you.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #224 on: July 12, 2010, 05:57:03 PM »

- reading takes patience and understanding - two qualities that the two current generations lack in spades. 

Many also lack the positive example of parents, at home, reading for pleasure. The kids see reading as a necessary evil to survive Grades 3-12.

der Brucer

It is very strange, but I hated to read when I was in school; unless it was a subject that interested me.  I probably read A NIGHT TO REMEMBER three to four times while in junior high and high school, but basically faked my way through required book reports.  I remember being forced to read HIROSHIMA in 9th Grade, and I was blown away how good it was.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #225 on: July 12, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »

Sorry, I like handwriting.  Cursive, as you call it.  I like printing, too, but cursive is a wonderful thing and now it's going to go the way of the dodo bird.  And that is not a good thing, if you ask me.  So, schools are all about these big tests now?  They used to be about learning and teaching and a variety of subjects.  Now it's all about some school district tests?  Maybe that's why the youth of today is so illiterate.

A dodo bird probably has better handwriting than I.
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #226 on: July 12, 2010, 06:03:18 PM »

Vibes for DR Elmore's friend Josh!  Hope you don't come down with something after your trip to exotic Canton!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #227 on: July 12, 2010, 06:04:16 PM »

DR Thom - thank you so much for the good report about DIA and the Hilberry!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #228 on: July 12, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »

That's a big chimney DR DRUXY!

size queen!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #229 on: July 12, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »

I think I am grumpy today.

I was about to tell you the same thing!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2010, 06:34:09 PM »

I am enjoying tonight's THE CLOSER episode very much. I also saw a rerun of the Beau Bridges episode I missed last season.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #231 on: July 12, 2010, 06:48:16 PM »

In 1955, my parents separated, and my mom, my sister, and I moved to Tacoma.  Since my mom had been hired to teach music at Mason Junior High, and when we first moved there she had no car; we moved into the Proctor District where the school was locacted.  We moved into a house that had been divided into three apartments.  There were two apartments upstairs, and we had the downstairs of the house.  I have such wonderful memories of that house / apartment.  We lived there for maybe only five years, but most of my favorite childhood memories are of that house.  It was dirrectly across the street from the grade school I attended, and right next door to the public library.

The building on the right is the old public library and the building on the left (the new library) is where our house / apartment stood.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »

Fortunately for me, the Proctor District still exists today, and in a lot of ways is unchanged from my childhood neighborhood.  Two blocks from our house was a very nice restaurant called Knapp's.  They homemade all of their pies and cakes and they were famous for their complete dinners that started with a shrimp cocktail and ended with the homemade dessert.  Their roast turkey dinner was actually carved from whole turkey and stuffing from inside the bird.  Knapp's is still there and basically is the same restaurant that it was in the Fifties; but they no longer make there own desserts.

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #233 on: July 12, 2010, 07:01:11 PM »

Most Saturday afternoons I spent at The Proctor Theater (always a double feature).  When I got into junior high, my friends and I started going to The Proctor on Friday nights.  We didn't care what moveis were being shown, we just went.  The Proctor was a second run theater, but I loved that place.  It has since changed its name back to the original Blue Mouse Theater, but other than that it is unchanged.

And BK, you will notice they still have good taste in films.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #234 on: July 12, 2010, 07:08:51 PM »

There was a family restaurant in Michigan called Bill Knapp's.  If you ate there on your birthday they gave you a cake. :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #235 on: July 12, 2010, 07:08:57 PM »

Not that I know of and I have only read one of her books.  In fact the other female writer I know of that he has read more than one book is J.K. Rowling.

One series of her books is the Beaumont series.  He is a detective living in Seattle.  The style she uses in those books is impressively male.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »

Well I guess it's not the opposite if you believe that male writers write for a male audience and female writers write for women.  I never really thought that way.  I just gravitate more towards the books written by women. But not because they are written by women.

:-X 
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2010, 07:26:42 PM »

One series of her books is the Beaumont series.  He is a detective living in Seattle.  The style she uses in those books is impressively male.

I read THE HOUR OF HUNTER which I believe is part of that series.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #238 on: July 12, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »

THE CLOSER had a good episode tonight.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #239 on: July 12, 2010, 07:47:01 PM »

The TNT ads made RIZZOLI & ISLES look like a comedy-thriller. This episode is creepy. Plain creepy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up