Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS  (Read 52435 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: LA - THE CITY THAT WAS
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »

Happy "official" birthday, Cilla!  :)

TOD:  I don't really remember much about the grand old theaters in SLC, only that they were there and my much older sister used to regularly drag me, pretty much still a toddler, to see such fare as West Side Story and Sound of Music.  My first real memories are of the John Danz Theater in Bellevue, which was probably circa late 1950's or early 1960's, and some of the grand old dames that still existed in downtown Seattle in the late 1960's and early 1970's. when I saw such fare as the reissue of GWTW and SCROOGE.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #241 on: July 12, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »

Oh, my Lord, how did I miss Cilla's birthday??? I had a note next to me and everything - that's what happens when you get to the notes late.  I'm adding the birthday to the notes, and a million apologies to Cilla. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »

Birthday wishes are now in the notes!

MBarnum

« Reply #243 on: July 12, 2010, 08:19:27 PM »

I got it for $1 today as well, DR MBARNUM but I was going to pass it along to you .... looking at it more closely it seems that Steve has more clothes on in this movie than usual.....not a good career move.

That is why I have not bothered to watch it yet. I do have my standards, you know!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26:49 PM »

I got it for $1 today as well, DR MBARNUM but I was going to pass it along to you .... looking at it more closely it seems that Steve has more clothes on in this movie than usual.....not a good career move.

That is why I have not bothered to watch it yet. I do have my standards, you know!

They're so low, I guess none of us can see they're only slightly above floor level.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »

I have been told that I have to understand how young people are today. Like, they make a commitment and then don't show up. I have to understand how young people are.

That's not just limited to young people...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Laura

« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »

My friend from church came over today and played with kittens. They did not run or hide. Progress.

Edisaurus

« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »

My grand-niece is learning cursive in her first grade class, so I can't figure out where you are finding this information that cursive is no longer taught.

I rarely write in cursive, anymore. I don't know why. Frankly, I don't see why it should even matter. My only concern would be whether I could read someone's writing or not.

Is it because crayon looks better in print than cursive?

Oy! Mel Gibson is behaving like an asshole again. This man is truly pathetic.

Have you heard those phone calls? Scary!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2010, 08:41:39 PM »

Happy happy happy birthday, dear cillaliz!!! Health, joy, and prosperity to you!!!

TOD - the pony rides and kiddyland... the Kiru restaurant... what was the name of that pink ice cream store on Beverly Drive?? the field next to the liquor store where my mom used to send us kids off with $20 to get her a carton of cigarettes... the guy who had the bar on Robertson Blvd, who used to raise dachshunds in his back yard... the guy on Preuss Rd who had an actual private zoo on his property, behind the big hedges, with monkeys and a donkey, and other animals - right there on the next block from us, across Sawyer... Miceli's Pizza on La Cienega... Wan Q and Hoi Ping on Pico... the Stadium Theater, that we could walk to, and my mom got rid of us for the length of 2 movies and 5 cartoons and a yo-yo contest on Saturdays, for a total of $2 - a quarter apiece to get in, and a quarter apiece for enough popcorn and candy to keep us throwing up long after bedtime... still, obviously worth it to her...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #249 on: July 12, 2010, 08:43:15 PM »

No, sorry - it was $2.00 for that carton of cigs... this was back in the '50's...
PennyO

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #250 on: July 12, 2010, 08:43:40 PM »

Happy, happy, Cillaliz!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #251 on: July 12, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »

Hi, Penny! 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #252 on: July 12, 2010, 08:44:27 PM »

Happy "official" birthday, Cilla!  :)

TOD:  I don't really remember much about the grand old theaters in SLC, only that they were there and my much older sister used to regularly drag me, pretty much still a toddler, to see such fare as West Side Story and Sound of Music.  My first real memories are of the John Danz Theater in Bellevue, which was probably circa late 1950's or early 1960's, and some of the grand old dames that still existed in downtown Seattle in the late 1960's and early 1970's. when I saw such fare as the reissue of GWTW and SCROOGE.

Thanks JMK!

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #253 on: July 12, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »

Ten cigarettes to a pack, was it?? that meant it only cost two cents apiece for those cancer sticks that ultimately killed her. Took awhile, but it was way cheaper to off yourself in those days!
PennyO

Cillaliz

« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »

Oh, my Lord, how did I miss Cilla's birthday??? I had a note next to me and everything - that's what happens when you get to the notes late.  I'm adding the birthday to the notes, and a million apologies to Cilla. 

Well, your mind was back in nostalgia land and since I wasn't even born then....all is forgiven ;)

Laura

« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:07 PM »

Hi Penny!

Cillaliz

« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:58 PM »

Happy happy happy birthday, dear cillaliz!!! Health, joy, and prosperity to you!!!

TOD - the pony rides and kiddyland... the Kiru restaurant... what was the name of that pink ice cream store on Beverly Drive?? the field next to the liquor store where my mom used to send us kids off with $20 to get her a carton of cigarettes... the guy who had the bar on Robertson Blvd, who used to raise dachshunds in his back yard... the guy on Preuss Rd who had an actual private zoo on his property, behind the big hedges, with monkeys and a donkey, and other animals - right there on the next block from us, across Sawyer... Miceli's Pizza on La Cienega... Wan Q and Hoi Ping on Pico... the Stadium Theater, that we could walk to, and my mom got rid of us for the length of 2 movies and 5 cartoons and a yo-yo contest on Saturdays, for a total of $2 - a quarter apiece to get in, and a quarter apiece for enough popcorn and candy to keep us throwing up long after bedtime... still, obviously worth it to her...

Thanks Penny O!!!

Edisaurus

« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »

DR DerBrucer has your grandlad caught up on his reading skills? 

I am very grateful that when I had trouble learning to read my parents got me a tutor instead of waiting for the school to help me.

I didn't have a problem reading, but everything I wrote was backwards (mirror writing). My teacher held my papers up to the light and graded them. I usually got perfect scores, but all completely backwards. (Something more common with us lefties.)

My mom said "This isn't right"!  Dyslexia wasn't a household word back then. My teacher told my mom I would outgrow it.

My mom taught me how to write correctly.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2010, 08:48:50 PM »

Before the 10 was built, it seemed like it took all day for my mom to drive down to the beach - four kids and towels and folding beach chairs and a big tank of lemonade and bags of sandwiches and plastic beach toys... oy, the preparation! Then the LONG drive to the beach... down Pico or Olympic all the way to the end. Then shlepping all the stuff down the sand. Worse coming back up, sunburned and full of sand.
PennyO

Cillaliz

« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »

Well, your mind was back in nostalgia land and since I wasn't even born then....all is forgiven ;)

And thanks for the birthday wishes.

John G.

« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2010, 08:49:23 PM »

Great photos today, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Edisaurus

« Reply #261 on: July 12, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »

I am enjoying tonight's THE CLOSER episode very much. I also saw a rerun of the Beau Bridges episode I missed last season.

Beau Bridges is nominated for an EMMY for that performance.

Cillaliz

« Reply #262 on: July 12, 2010, 08:51:48 PM »

Yes there have been great photos today...thanks for sharing all of them

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #263 on: July 12, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »

Hiya, Laura! Hi, Cil!!

Oh - hey - just got word: the first grant ap I wrote for my theater, back in December, for LA County Arts Commission funding -- they're giving us $16.400. My colleagues are smooching my cellulite-embroidered ass, and rejoicing as you might guess. Got five grant ap's out, another 3 in the hopper for August/Sept... we just may make it!!!
PennyO

Edisaurus

« Reply #264 on: July 12, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »

Sleeeeepy....Nytol!

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #265 on: July 12, 2010, 08:53:09 PM »

Georgie!!! Hiya!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #266 on: July 12, 2010, 08:54:08 PM »

g'nite, Edi!
PennyO

John G.

« Reply #267 on: July 12, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »

I'm late getting to the site today, but I had to make mention of the Vogue in Louisville, which is no longer a movie theater, as you can see below. It was about 1 mile from my house, and when I was about 14 or 15, I started walking there sometimes two or three times a week. It had become a revival house in the days before video, and I saw everything from "Son of the Sheik" and "The Jazz Singer" to a dozen Ingmar Bergman movies to an MGM musical collection. Of course, "Rocky Horror" played at midnight on Fridays and Saturdays and I snuck in long before I was 17. It was a great home away from home.

― Voltaire

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #268 on: July 12, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »

Jeez, I just missed my deadline for an article I'm writing for Bunker Hill Mag -- how'd that happen??? too much to do with relocating my cousin AGAIN - yes, I flew down to LA and have been house hunting with her, and over to the regional center for disabled adults, blahblahblah... the article has been 'nearly finished' for three days - yipes... oh, well, tomorrow is another day...
PennyO

John G.

« Reply #269 on: July 12, 2010, 08:57:47 PM »

And with that, I say good night to all.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up