Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE INCIDENT OF THE LUNGING DOG  (Read 40519 times)

Ginny

Re: THE INCIDENT OF THE LUNGING DOG
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2010, 01:47:42 PM »

DR MBarnum - I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost Bosco.  We will all miss him.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2010, 01:48:13 PM »

Mikey, I cannot tell you how this news breaks my heart. I am so sorry. dear friend. My heart goes out to you and I send my love and concern.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »

Topic of the Day:  I've never been much of a Beatles fan, but I like some of what they've done...however, two songs that I just really don't like (and I don't know why) are "Michelle" and "Yesterday."  I can't listen to them.

:P

George, I'm halfway there with you.  While I have nothing against Michelle, I have never liked Yesterday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »

Sorry to hear about Bosco - but he was a good and loyal dog, and thanks to you he had a very good life.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »

MBarnum, so sorry to hear about Bosco.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2010, 01:57:02 PM »

Back from lunch at Mo's.

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »

We've explored a bit of Ashland today - the University, the Theological Seminary, and the Public Library, where the Chautauquan who's portraying Orson Welles tomorrow evening presented a program called, "Two Beams or Not To Beams:  A Tribute to the Golden Age of Radio."  He had a radio script for audience participation and Richard and I both took part.  That feature of his program worked well, but his use of radio clips on cassette was pretty clumsy.  Good info, though.  We then had a late lunch at Friendly's and drove around the north side of town on our way back here.  It poured rain during the library program, so before we leave for this evening's events, we'll call the hotline to see if they're being moved from the band shell in the park to the high school auditorium.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:34 PM »

I am sad to say that my buddy Dog Bosco passed away this morning.

He was the best dog in the world. It was my good fortune to just happen to be at the Humane Society the day Bosco was there, some 4 or 5 years ago (I forget how long it has been). He was so well mannered and quiet and sweet, I knew right then and there I was going to be a dog owner...and believe me it was not my intention on that day to get a dog...in fact it was the farthest thing from my mind as I had only gone in to donate some old blankets on my way home from the gym and just decided to walk around.

I remember the staff telling me that the night before someone had accidental left Bosco's cage door open, and when they arrived the next morning Bosco was still sitting in his own cage.

I will miss him so very much, and so will cat Freddy who followed Bosco everywhere, including our walks around the block.

And I appreciate HHW allowing me to share all the silly photos of Bosco over the years. I did love to show him off.

So sorry to hear about the passing of your best pal. You will have your memories.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2010, 02:10:04 PM »

Somebody just sent me this, and I couldn't stop laughing:

In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.  The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet.  It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people re garding God's Law.  I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.  When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination ... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations.  A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians.  Can you clarify?  Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7.  In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24.  The problem is how do I tell?  I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9.  The problem is my neighbors.  They claim the odor is not pleasing to them.  Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.  Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.  Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.  I don't agree.  Can you settle this?  Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight.  I have to admit that I wear reading glasses.  Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27.  How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm.  He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).  He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot.  Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.  Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan.

James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus, Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education University of Virginia

(It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian :)

I remember there was a West Wing episode that too a pot shot at Dr. Yech Laura. They prez talk to the Dr. stand in and mentions the same as the above. But tops it something like. "I am the president and when I enter a room you stand"
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »

So sorry to hear about Bosco, Mike.  You can come cuddle with Beegee and Blanche anytime you need to.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2010, 02:13:35 PM »

Just listened to PROMISES (2)

Great job!

Not according to John Esche - according to John Esche I'm a bad, bad boy for doing such a horrible thing as pitch-correction on a voice occasionally more than a half-tone flat.  Of course, the big amusement is that John Esche hasn't actually heard either CD.

Screw John Esche!

:P

Maybe that's his problem. He hasn't been
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »

They only kill their masters.

A trivia side note; They Only Kill Their Masters was the last movie to be filmed on the MGM backlot before it was demolished
Never stop dreaming.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2010, 02:17:09 PM »

I'm crying, too. I've enjoy hearing about DD Bosco's adventures and seeing pictures of him over the years.

Hugs to DR MBarnum...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JMK

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2010, 02:17:50 PM »

I haven't been reading CastRecL whilst on the road--what did the incredibly verbose Mr. Esche have to say?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2010, 02:18:21 PM »

BTW

Who Is  John Esche and Why Is He Saying Terrible Things About Bruce Kill?

(Which I just might use as the title of my new play)
Never stop dreaming.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »

And if Freddy gets lonely, I know there's a kitty out there with your name on it. Literally.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JMK

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2010, 02:29:19 PM »

Well, we head back west starting tomorrow.  There are tornado advisories all across Minnesota and North Dakota.  Guess where we're driving to?   ::)

Laura

« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »

Already? You just got there.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2010, 02:39:17 PM »

I've been rearranging shelves to hold the scores I'm bringing home from the McGlinnventory. I need another wing, but I'd settle for one more room. The tv is taken over by tributes to George Steinbrenner, and I think it's gone on too long.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:21:37 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »

I've been rearrangign shelves to hold the scores I'm bringing home from the McGlinnventory. I need another wing, but I'd settle for one more room. The tv is taken over by tributes to George Steinbrenner, and I think it's gone on too long.

I guess only in NYC. I don't think he's that big of news elsewhere.

Then there is always reruns of Dr. Phil
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2010, 03:33:53 PM »

Dog lovers here will probably not be disgusted by this. But a couple of days ago I was at the park where the bike path I ride on is.

There was this guy walking his dog. It was a little bit hot out. But not like the heat wave we had last week.  Anyhow there was an outdoor water fountain. And this guy let his dog put his mouth in the fountain and slobber/drink out of it.  Now just thinking of all the little kids who slobber out of that fountain ... yuck.

Anyhow there is a dish attached by a chain on that water fountain. So after the guy let his dog slobber in the fountain. He put water in the dish and let the dog drink out of it.

Are we talking about a drinking fountain or a fountain fountain?  If a drinking fountain, did the guy let his dog drink out of the bowl of the fountain or let his dog slurp water off the spigot of the fountain?  If the guy let his dog drink from the bowl of the fountain which is nothing more than a receptacle for the water the mouth does not catch or drink coming from the fountain spigot, then I see no problem with this.

If the dog put his mouth or tongue on the spigot that might be unsanitary, but it would certainly be just as unsanitary for a child to drink  this way or to slobber from the bowl of the fountain...or any fountain for that matter.  I would be much more concerned about a parent who would let their child's mouth touch a fountain spigot or drink from the receiving bowl of a drinking fountain or drink from any kind of fountain in which God knows what kind of debris blows in it, has been placed in it, what other kinds of animals or birds have dabbled in it. 

A dog is the least of a parent's worry about a public fountain...after all, a dog's mouth is supposedly cleaner than a human's...

The dog was drinking from the drinking fountain when there was a dog bowl attached to same water drinking fountain!

And yes it looked like the dog was licking the spigot, not merely the fountain bowl.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:36:04 PM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »

I am so sorry DR MBarnum. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Condolences on your loss.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »

Trying to do cue titles is not easy when the friggin' gardener is outside with the friggin' lawn mower.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »

Have we not been on page three ALL DAY???  Get me off this damn page.

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »

I am sure nobody else here will be watching this, but tonight is the series finale of THE HILLS.

I never watched it for the first few years (I never got MTV before this year). But here MTV Canada's sister station is CTV. And one night in the summer they started showing it.  And it just grew on me. All the episodes are/were available on mtv so i caught up. And it has been a guilty pleasure for me ever since.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »

Oy! Guess what moron thought his appointment was an hour later than it actually was and missed it? I've rescheduled for next Monday. I am so pissed at my stupidity.

What moron was it?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »

On another sad HainesHisWay.com day, someone referenced a place called "Rainbow Bridge"...it may have been JRand, IIRC.  At any rate, I remembered it and looked it up when my cat Vickie died.

It brought me some comfort, Mike, and I offer it to you in hopes that you will always remember the love youo received from him and that you will move past grieving and share your love with another pet:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:43:41 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2010, 03:44:57 PM »

Oy! Guess what moron thought his appointment was an hour later than it actually was and missed it? I've rescheduled for next Monday. I am so pissed at my stupidity.

What moron was it?

You're supposed to guess!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2010, 03:56:43 PM »

Thank you TD. Now if I can just stop crying.

(((((Mike)))))  My deepest sympathies.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2010, 04:05:12 PM »

Does this get us to the last post on the page?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up