Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: JUST PLAIN FUN  (Read 21538 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
JUST PLAIN FUN
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:04:48 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were just plain and maybe a little fun, and now it is time for you to post until the just plain fun cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: JUST PLAIN FUN
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 12:05:45 AM »

And the word of the day is: PALLADIAN!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:07:33 AM »

As promised, here's the new Kritzerland release - if you'd like one, it's $19.98 plus 3.75 shipping via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

ONLY TWO THINGS CAN SCREW UP THEIR RELATIONSHIP.  HE’S ONE, SHE’S THE OTHER

Kritzerland is proud to present a world premiere limited edition soundtrack CD:

ROMANTIC COMEDY

Music Composed and Conducted by Marvin Hamlisch

Bernard Slade’s Romantic Comedy opened on November 8, 1979 at the Ethel Barrymore Theater on Broadway, starring Anthony Perkins and Mia Farrow.  It had a very healthy run of 396 performances and was the kind of, well, romantic comedy that’s become an endangered species, both on Broadway and film.  In 1983, The Mirisch Corporation brought Romantic Comedy to the screen, directed by Arthur Hiller, starring Dudley Moore and Mary Steenburgen.  The story is classic romantic comedy – Jason Carmichael hasn’t written a hit play since he and his writing partner split up.  On the day of his wedding, in comes Phoebe Craddock, a quirky, funny, and endearing writer, who becomes his new partner.   Through hits and flops, through marriages and divorces, the two flirt with their own romantic comedy – the closest of friends, the nearest of lovers and finally finding their happy ending.  Moore and Steenburgen were terrific as the collaborators in everything but their own romantic comedy.

Reviews were mostly fine, with Roger Ebert especially enjoying the film for what it was.

“Not a whole heck of a lot happens in ‘Romantic Comedy’ but it happens so charmingly, and with such quick spirit and wit, that it's enough. This is the kind of movie Hollywood used to make to exploit the sheer charm of its great stars – performers like Cary Grant or Katherine Hepburn, who were so wonderful to watch that all you had to do was find something for them to say. The stars this time are Dudley Moore and Mary Steenburgen. Together, they have the sort of chemistry that might make any dialog work, and certainly works in Bernard Slade's story about a couple of playwrights who collaborate for years and years before they find the courage to finally come right out and kiss each other.”

For the score, director Hiller turned to award-winning composer Marvin Hamlisch and it was a perfect match of composer and film.  Hamlisch basically came up with one theme for the film and then finds the most beautiful ways to present it – whether up tempo or slow, mournful or romantic, it’s a great theme (and one you’ll be humming for weeks), and while not many composers could make that approach work, Hamlisch does it with nary a false note.   

For this CD, we used the original three-track session masters housed in the MGM vaults.   While we would have loved to include the song “Maybe” that plays over the end credits (sung by Peabo Bryson and Roberta Flack – and credited to Hamlisch, Carole Bayer Sager, and Burt Bacharach), it wasn’t available to us.  Happily, Hamlisch recorded an instrumental of the theme, which is what we’ve used to close out the CD.  While the score is fairly short, we do present every note of it.   It’s always a pleasure to bring more Marvin Hamlisch to CD – the world certainly needs more Hamlisch and it certainly can use a lot more romantic comedy.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping

CD will ship by the end of August – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »

Ordered the CD!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 12:33:30 AM »

Last night, I went to see TAO's production of "Othello."  I'd never seen any stage production or movie of it and I must say that it was excellent!  It was set in NYC during the late 1960s.  The director, Robert is a friend.  We'd done a few shows together and I found out tonight that when we were in "Romeo & Juliet" together last year, he was working on cutting "Othello" to a more manageable length than the original.  The show he ended up with lasted a little over two and a half hours (including the intermission) but didn't seem like that at all.  AND I could understand what was going on.  It all worked quite well and I thoroughly enjoyed the show.  There was one guy in the audience (the brother of one of the actors) who was visibly moved by the ending.  He had his head down, trying not to cry...or at least, trying not show it.  I wasn't that moved, but I certainly was into it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:01:08 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 04:23:50 AM »

Good morning, all! The oaf above me arrived mone sometime around  5:30 am, making lots of thuds in my ceiling as he (I assume) unfolded his bed. Would that he were gone!

I was up at 6:45 since tomorrow morning I have to be up at the same time to make my NYU dental checkup. This morning I need to run down to Toyland for some music and drag it home with me. I'd like to work here today and tomorrow and I have to assemble the Full Score of LADY OF THE SLIPPER's Finale Ultimo as it was published in the 1912 vocal score. I'd like to be out the door by 8:00 and hope to be back here by 10.

I had one very strange dream about John McGlinn's executor and me sitting in on a production meeting for a revival of BABES IN TOYLAND and doing my best to thwart it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 05:08:33 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 05:31:20 AM »

CD ORDERED!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 05:32:12 AM »

DR ELMORE the Dream-o-Matic 6000 says that your dream indicates you do not wish your work on the BABES IN TOYLAND to end, and that, in fact, you dislike any activity that takes you away from it for any great length of time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 05:32:26 AM »

Please deposit $35 in my PayPal account.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 05:32:52 AM »

My favorite Mary Steenburgen film will always be TIME AFTER TIME.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 05:33:30 AM »

Lots of interesting posts yesterday.

I like OTHELLO.....even the Kenneth Branagh version from a few years ago....it's a most intriguing play.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 05:36:25 AM »

WELLLLLLLL...................last night we started the show and then quelle deluge!  Torrents of rain, lightning, and thunder.

And of course we ARE in a barn.  We turned up the microphones so everyone could be heard, but it was most distracting and continued throughout the entire show.....distressing  - the audience was of course distracted and thinking about the weather INSTEAD of the play....but it was a good final performance.

Set is struck - properties are put away, stage is swept, dressing rooms cleaned....and of course we did a lot of work that the cast/crew of HELLO, DOLLY didn't bother to do when they struck.....and somehow about 25 metal folding chairs that belong in the rehearsal center ended up in the prop room upstairs after HELLO DOLLY....strange.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 05:36:56 AM »

DR VIXMOM congratulations on your yard sale finds....bargains ALL!!!!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 05:46:42 AM »

Morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 05:48:18 AM »

Glad to hear "Girl Who Played with Fire," the movie, isn't like "Dragon Tattoo." The books were written in a different style. In fact, all three books were written in a different style. The levels of tension were different. The aims of the writer was different in each.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 06:22:17 AM »

DR Jane wrote:
Bruce I find it strange my brother can finally see THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE at a movie theater about the same time you can watch the DVD.  NetFlix still doesn't have a release date.

The whole thing is sort of weird. I mean the books have been out in Europe for ages. Yet the 3rd book was just released here.

The movies have been out in Europe, yet are just coming out here.  I saw the 2nd movie on dvd months ago (since all the books and dvds have been out in French for a while).  I am wondering when the 3rd movie will be released on dvd in French (I am anxious to see it).

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »

Vibes for DR TCB. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 06:25:31 AM »

re: the movie the GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE.

It's been a while since i saw the 2nd film. But I'm assuming it ends the same way as the 2nd book.

Btw, BK are you at all interested in reading the books now?  IMO they are even better than the movies.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 06:26:41 AM »

I feel so bad. My brother-in-law put my niece (the baby) to bed last night (since my sister went out). It is the first time he's put her to bed with my sister being out. And he forgot to put on her night light! :(

Poor Jadie!

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 06:27:47 AM »

I only got home last night at 6:30pm. And tried to get in a bike ride before the night storm. I rode for 30 minutes. Lucky i decided to go home then. Cause we had another really bad storm.

I would have been okay with the rain (plus i bring my umbrella when the weather looks iffy). But riding in thunder would not be fun.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 06:28:49 AM »

I am making banana muffins now. I guess i should go check on them (they have 7 minutes left). Then i need to eat and get dressed.

At least it won't rain today so i can take a bike ride when i get home later.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 06:42:18 AM »

I am a boy who doesn't want to read a book or see a movie with a title that begins with The Girl Who....

Unless it features Miss Annette Funicello in a bathing suit singing a song to Fabian.....dressed likewise.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 06:42:33 AM »

I know....I know....I am a culture hound.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 06:43:52 AM »

I like that film too. I believe it was her first film or second or third. There is a great score by Miklós Rózsa. Also liked her in One Magic Christmas, Ragtime. The Whales of August and The Grass Harp.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:48:34 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 06:44:02 AM »

Today I  will audition for NEVER TOO LATE.

I purchased a copy of the CD COMPANY IN JAZZ produced by MR BK and it is most enjoyable....MOST!

I think I have one other of these CD's, I will have to check.

Might other DR's have suggestions as to the ones they enjoy the most......in the BK Jazz series.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 06:44:50 AM »

I like that film too. I believe it was her first film or second or third. There is a great score Miklós Rózsa. Also liked her in One Magic Christmas, Ragtime. The Whales of August and The Grass Harp.

Oh I forgot RAGTIME, although TAT - I love that movie....we went to see it every night for a week at the local Jerry Lewis Cinema.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 06:45:48 AM »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 06:49:18 AM »

Ginny, we did Florida with the kids a few years ago and I have one reminder, which we were too stupid to realize until the last day we were there:  your parking pass is good all day at any of the WDW parks, meaning you can leave and come back.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 06:55:08 AM »

Never stop dreaming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up