Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TRA LA, TRA LA, THE LUSTY MONTH OF MAY  (Read 78202 times)

wlajb

• What would I do if I had not met you.
Re:TRA LA, TRA LA, THE LUSTY MONTH OF MAY
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2004, 07:09:27 PM »

And I believe that WNYC is broadcasting next Friday's NY Phil's "Candide" live.

wlajb

« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2004, 07:10:02 PM »

6th page dance?   (looking at 2 left feet...sigh)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2004, 07:15:53 PM »

I have eaten at Zen Palate.  Blechhh.  Vegetarian + BK = Blechhh.
You're sounding like der Brucer.  Tofu is too fooey.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

wlajb

« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2004, 07:29:39 PM »

Oh...link to WNYC
http://www.wnyc.org/

jillysbeans

« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2004, 07:38:52 PM »

Is that Graham from the play Prymate?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2004, 07:39:46 PM »

Der Brucer and I are back from the cabaretfest.  Talk about a disappointment!  (Just for tonight, last night's gigs were very good.)

Tonight we went to an Italian joint in town where the food was overpriced and the pasta was tough.  The entertainment was some gal named Susan who had played the lead in the off-Broadway production of Tony and Tina's Wedding, but somehow I think she thought that was a realistic play, because her singing was...well, my bet is that her next gig is going to be singing backup for William Hung.  As for her patter, she just plain wasn't funny.  She was condescending to rednecks, and then she was condescending to drag queens.  Her pianist looked like he was aiming for Richard Carpenter's pageboy, but hadn't had a trim for at least eight months.  The whole act was shrill, loud, and pathetic.

After we left, der Brucer decided he had to wash the taste out of his mouth with a white Russian at the Purple Parrot, where it was kareoke night.  Upon our arrival, a redneck drag queen friend of his immediately came over to make sure we were all right.  It pays to have friends like that, to set the world back in balance.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 07:42:37 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

wlajb

« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2004, 07:52:57 PM »

Gee...I can count my redneck drag queen friends on one hand.  But I guess three is enough.  

SWW...are the places doing the cabaret thing big enough to host shows comfortably?  Most restaurants usually don't have enough room.  And bad cabaret with with your pasta and meatballs...is like bad cabernet with your meatballs....errr...something like that.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2004, 07:53:14 PM »

The Quest For
Lobster Bisque

So far, I've got something like eleven recipes for the bisque, plus one for making lobster stock.  They range from the sublime (involving a "white consomme" and three pounds of diced lobster tail) to the simple ("Make Crab Bisque, substituting 1 6 oz. can lobster meat for the crabmeat.")

Running through all the recipes may take a while, and figuring out which parts are good ideas and which parts are just plain silly will take a little longer.

In other words, my idea of fun!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 07:54:25 PM by S. Woody White »

wlajb

« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2004, 08:03:51 PM »

Listening to the BBC Sondheim concert....think I'll take a time out to watch "kill bill"... will check back periodically after the big dance numbers.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2004, 08:03:58 PM »

I've been most e & t, several days behind in my reading of this here site.  And then, of course, the mere mention of girls slathered in butter distracts.

But, the principal painting is done, the apartment is utterly transformed and I finished the second of the Kritzer trilogy this morning.  Cried in front of the blind children, which, I guess, will be our little secret (oh, a Promises Promises reference).

Having everything under tarps for so long, the latest package from Amazon was almost sent back . . . and what did it turn out to be?  The lovely wife ordered us up one Kritzer Time.  So, I'm taking in the saga without a break.  Remember, I'm an extremely slow reader, but, during this e & t phase, it's not that I haven't been thinking about someone initialed B.K.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2004, 08:05:11 PM »

Gee...I can count my redneck drag queen friends on one hand.  But I guess three is enough.  

SWW...are the places doing the cabaret thing big enough to host shows comfortably?  Most restaurants usually don't have enough room.  And bad cabaret with with your pasta and meatballs...is like bad cabernet with your meatballs....errr...something like that.  
Most of the places are apparently doing a good job.  Yes, there is enough room in most of them, by fitting a temporary stage into a corner or, in a surprising number of cases, having a stage area that's used on a frequent basis.

Sydney's, for example, is known for both it's Southern cuisine and it's jazz performers.  On the other hand, Abstractions, the sushi restaurant we went to for dinner and the soulful singer last night, simply set up her audio system in the front of the house, and let her move around the tables for her gig.

What is still amazing to both der Brucer and myself is the number of good restaurants in town, at both the high end and mid-range.  Rehoboth Beach isn't that large a town, but there are at least fifteen, if not more, high ticket eateries where the two of us could blow over a hundred buck on a good meal and wine.  Per capita, that's a large ratio.  Adding entertainment is just the next step.

Now, if we could figure out how to get Guy Haines himself to put together a gig for next year's Cabaret Festival...

wlajb

« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2004, 08:08:59 PM »

Rehoboth Beach for Guy sounds like a plan...but he wouldn't have to perform facing the crowd, would he?  He has a very expressive back (I've been told).

wlajb

« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2004, 08:19:55 PM »

AMB...thanks for the BroadwayW link...enjoyed the song.

wlajb

« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2004, 08:26:24 PM »

Three vanity posts....getting up to 198....(I didn't win any money on the Kentucky Derby...sigh)

wlajb

« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2004, 08:27:10 PM »

199...Ummm....All About Eve as a Bollywood film.....thoughts?

wlajb

« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2004, 08:28:45 PM »

200.....time to Kill Bill...and eat a little something.   (What does one eat while watching Kill Bill?)   Freezer surprise....I guess.  

wlajb

« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2004, 08:54:47 PM »

Gee first dead body in Kill Bill....think it's chicken and veggies...trying to keep the posts up...

wlajb

« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2004, 08:55:37 PM »

Uh....don't expect a post at every dead body in Kill Bill....think that would make a new record here...or so I'm told

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2004, 09:01:37 PM »

Now, DRTomovoz is raving to me about Della Reese but that has nothing to do with cows, right?

Unless she sang Cow Cow Boogie and that was Ella's specialty!
Oh I'm so confused that I don't to get married today!
I just want to be loved, loved, loved! not Lowett! Loved!
And the lusty month of may is the month to be loved, the month of yes you may, Sir Lancelot!
Do you dance a lot?
Dance a little closer, please!
Dance the olf fashioned way, would say dear olf -- 80 -- Charles!
Not Prince Charles, Ben!
Aznavour, biensūr! Mike Connors' pal!
They're both Armenian, you know...

Oh, here comes the ambulance!

Honey, that chick is bananas.  Oh, waiter! Another banana daiquiri, please!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2004, 09:08:24 PM »

Dear Friend BK, your package arrived today.  Thank you!  It's 12:15 am.  Sweet dreams, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2004, 09:35:00 PM »

Good Evening!

-Whew!  These two shows days really do take it out of me!  -The "joys' of recuperation.  However, I did get a nice hour and a half nap at the theatre between shows.  Very nice.  Very peaceful.  And very much needed.  Alas, I ended up not getting dinner, but my stomach wasn't feeling too well, anyway, so...  but we had good shows today.  -And no inappropriate gospel organ sounds today either!  ;)

After I got back to the apartment, I headed out to CVS to pick up some more "medicinals" - again, the joys of recuperation.  However, since I had had not dinner, I also picked up one of those snack pack-size packages of Pepperidge Farm Milanos, as well as a box of Russell Stover (the Dark Chocolate Assortment).  And then I stopped at a great Chinese place (bare bones, but great(!) food - and open late(!)), and picked up some braised bean curd with chinese vegetables.  And once I got back to the apartment I supped on said Chinese Food (very good), and desserted on some cookies and a few pieces of chocolate.  I know I shouldn't be eating so much food so late, but I was hungry - and I also wanted to treat myself tonight - it's been a while.  And I deserve it!  -Hopefully, this late night dinner will not come back to haunt me come morning.

I like Zen Palate too - very creative vegetarian cooking.  I also like Ollie's too.  *Just be sure to ask to make your vegetarian dishes "vegetarian" - sometimes they'll use chicken and/or beef stock.  There's also a great vegetarian Chinese place on 48th, I think close to 5th Avenue.  I have it listed in a notebook someplace - I'll try my best to post the name sometime.  *And, of course, there are some pretty good vegetarian Indian places in NYC too.

DRs DerBrucer and SWW - Rehoboth does have some great places to eat.  -I'm just waiting to see how you guys will handle the your first summer season there.  -Then you'll find out why there are some truly great places to eat.  It's a very "picky" clientele <ahem>.  -Just be sure to have your cameras ready.  ;)

-OK - that almost makes no sense at all... guess that's a sign...

Well, I need to tidy up my apartment and tidy up myself before heading to bed...  But I'll check in after my tidying...

So, for now, I'll say "au revoir"....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2004, 10:00:43 PM »

Great links....I am going to try to catch that SUNSET BLVD.

Well....I just read the Juliana's Journal update, and it is a great one.  Again, I want to the BK and HHW and Miss Juliana for sharing her tour with us.  It was like being there with her, from casting, to rehearsals, to performances, to GOING ON AS MILLIE!!!  I hope it will be archived somewhere because it's a lesson in theatre for anyone who wants to do it for a living!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2004, 10:02:50 PM »

LOL DR JOSE, I loved your story about the keyboard yesterday.  LOL...a couple of seasons ago when we were doing OKLAHOMA! the synthesizer player pressed the wrong button and instead of getting a few birds to open the show....OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNING began with the calvary charge!

wlajb

« Reply #173 on: May 01, 2004, 10:03:38 PM »

JRand you'd make a GREAT Millie...maybe after the second week in L.A...you'll get your chance....<wink>

wlajb

« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2004, 10:04:36 PM »

I keep getting phone calls...the body count in Kill Bill is still in single digits...but I think it's going to escalate....anytime now

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2004, 10:09:25 PM »

Wljab hmmmmmmm.....6 pm in London (which I think is 1800) is 10 a.m. in Los Angeles.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2004, 10:10:06 PM »

I do know that Soy Sauce makes a great stain remover!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2004, 10:42:27 PM »

Mr. Haines is available for the Cabaret venue - just book it and he'll be there, I promise.

Decided last minute to run over to my friend's screening room to take a gander at Man on Fire.  I was prepared to leave after ten minutes, so bad was Mr. Tony Scott's direction, but the film has a script by Brian Helgeland or whatever his name is, so I endured a bit more.  I thought about leaving every ten minutes, but I liked Denzel and the girl.  But every time you start to get involved, Mr. Tony Scott, a director truly from hunger, starts with the "style" - fast, slow, black-and-white, color, out of focus, rack focus, zooming in and out and for what?  Certainly not to serve the story, since he does this in every film he makes.  So, one can only surmise it's to show off.  Heaven forbid he should trust his material and just do the movie.  Basically, he ruins what could have been an okay revenge film (I haven't seen the other Man on Fire from twelve years ago, so I don't know how close this resembles that film).  I will have more to say in tomorrow's notes, especially my shock seeing what Mickey Rourke looks like these days.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2004, 10:43:22 PM »

Welcome jillysbeans - who are you and how did you find our merry site?

Welcome back wlajb from your long errant and truant vacation.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2004, 10:43:44 PM »

We haven't had a Saturday like this in a 'coon's age.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up