Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN A WHIZ BANG HURRY  (Read 18692 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NOTES IN A WHIZ BANG HURRY
« on: July 24, 2010, 02:23:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had both whiz and bang, and now it is time for you to post until the whiz bang cows come home in a whiz bang hurry.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: NOTES IN A WHIZ BANG HURRY
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:25:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: DECLIVITY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:31:12 AM »

And just to repeat our announcement for any dear readers who may have missed it: 

You know the drill - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping (23.73) payable to paypal using our paypal address of kritzerland at adelphia dot net.  Very excited this is finally happening and I hope it makes everyone very happy.

Kritzerland is proud to present our new limited edition CD:

PROMISES, PROMISES
Original London Cast Album
Music by Burt Bacharach  Lyrics by Hal David

Yes, after our wham bang success with our two CD Promises, Promises Original Cast Album (which included the original LP mix on CD 1 and our newly-remixed version with the pitch-corrected vocals), and the one CD re-pressing of the newly-remixed version, we now present what is a Holy Grail for most cast album collectors: the Original London Cast Recording of Promises, Promises, starring Anthony Roberts, Betty Buckley, and Jack Kruschen (reprising the role he created in the film on which Promises is based – The Apartment – for which Kruschen received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor).  The London production opened in 1969 and ran a very healthy 560 performances and was loved by both audiences and critics, just as the Broadway production was. 

This is the first release of the Original London Cast Album, which has been mastered from the two-track album masters, which were in pristine condition.  It’s quite a different listening experience from the Broadway cast album, and equally fun in its own different way.  There are some interesting adjustments in the orchestrations occasionally, and naturally the recording balances are completely different than the original cast recording.  The cast is superb, with Buckley really socking home her numbers, and Roberts truly charming and lovable.  And it’s great to have Kruschen in the role he created in the film of The Apartment.  We’ve put the songs back into show order, as they were heard on the Broadway and London stage.
After the joy of being able to present the original cast album’s original LP mix on CD for the first time, as well as the newly mixed version with the pitch-corrected vocals, it’s an equally great pleasure to be able to finally present the London cast album, sounding better than ever.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.   The price is $19.98 plus shipping.

CD will ship by the first week of September – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

And for those who haven’t gotten the newly-mixed, pitch-corrected version, copies have been going fast, so don’t wait too long – the critics are calling it a “revelation.”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 02:37:23 AM »

It's not one of their actual shows but about a year and a half ago, Capital Playhouse here in Olympia did Rodgers & Hammerstein's A Grand Night For Singing.  The entire evening was a complete delight...the cast, the singing, the costumes, the staging, the simple set...it was all done so well. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 02:44:11 AM »

Here's a photograph from the after-party.  Barry, me, stepsister Ann Myers, and a fellow whose name I don't know.

George

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 02:44:31 AM »

And this weekend, Capital Playhouse's "Kids At Play" summer children's program is doing The Sound of Music...I don't think I'll see that, though.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 02:46:17 AM »

And here's me, Cinderella (Melissa Mitchell), Barry, and critic Steven Stanley.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 02:50:17 AM »

Finally, here's me with the two stepsisters - Ann Myers on the left and Dana Shaw on the right.

George

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 02:53:22 AM »

Nice pictures, BK!

Ben

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 04:19:24 AM »

Morning all.

That is all, except I will be going to the Post Office in about 45 minutes to put the check in the mail.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 04:19:47 AM »

JR, I will look out for Miss Hayward's wardrobe malfunction.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 04:44:10 AM »

JR, I will look out for Miss Hayward's wardrobe malfunction.

Perhaps it will be mentioned in the preshow activities.  I didn't believe it actually existed until i bought the DVD and - well - quelle surprise!  Still don't know why Fox let it be released like that....if it is so noticeable on TV, what must it have been like on the B I G screen?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 04:47:05 AM »

Lovely photos, MR BK.

I saw Miss Sally Struthers play Miss Hannigan in ANNIE and she was wonderful.  I also saw her play Miss Lynch in GREASE and she was a complete stitch with the audience in her hand all the way.

She came out at the top of the show and scolded people who came in late......"Eight o'clock means eight o'clock, people......where have you been."  And then gave them all demerits.

We went to the stage door afterwards and she signed our programs - and I must say she had the loveliest SKIN of anyone I have ever seen in my life.....I can't describe it.  She looked like a porcelain doll, and didn't seem to be wearing much makeup.  Of course she was sweet and lovely and talked to us all.....  And her Hannigan stole the show in ANNIE!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 04:48:42 AM »

TOD:

SOUTH PACIFIC

"Love Look Away"

I am very excited to be doing A GRAND NIGHT FOR SINGING next summer - even though some of the people on the board do not believe a revue is a "real" show.

Honestly now - do they really think people come to see our musicals for the acting?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 04:49:08 AM »

If they do, they have been disappointed more often than not - is my opinion.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 04:51:39 AM »

Also in GREASE, after talking to people as the show began - in character - Sally came down and started moving through the audience.  We were in the front row, and she worked her way through the row behind us - using her ample girth to bump people and asking them their names and pretending to remember then when they were at Rydell High, saying things like: "I am glad your skin cleared up" and "I never expected you to come back here....at least I was hoping...."   LOL

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 04:52:34 AM »

BUT her biggest laugh was during the Hand Jive Number, when she picked up a cute Rydell High Boy, threw him over her shoulder, and carried him offstage at the end of the song.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 05:01:47 AM »

The check is in the mail.

No.Really.It.Is

The lobby to the Post Office is open at 6am but the Windows don't open until 9am. All I needed to do was put the check in the mail slot, so that I did and now in a couple of days BK will have mail when he goes to his Mail Delivery Person.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 05:04:54 AM »

I am looking forward to the London PP - I have never heard it, so it will be completely NEW to me.....well the singing parts anyway.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 05:32:33 AM »

And now I am off to work.  Oh well.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 05:46:53 AM »

Good morning, all! I have a day of some writing and a lot of house cleaning. I have to get the things I kept from the McGlinnventory onto the shelves.

Last night I finished watching THE AWAKENING OF SPRNG; Jason Graae has a couple of small roles and he plays his oboe between scenes. At times he walks through a scene playing the oboe. I liked Constance Towers and the cast, but I'm still ambivalent about its setting moved to America in the early 20th Century. I'm glad I have finally seen a version of Wedekind's play, but I wish I'd ejoyed it more. To finish up my Wedekind education, I have to watch Berg's opera LULU now; I've seen the film version with the fierce Louise Brooks.

BK, the Cinderella production sounds like fun. The last City Opera presentation was an over-produced, total disaster, and convinced me, alpong with the shock of two later, ugly tv presentations, that I'm much happier watching Julie Andrews, Alice Ghostley, Kaye Ballard, and Edie Adams on DVD. Or listening to them on CD.

Was I the first London PP purchaser?

I think my fave R&H score is still OKLAHOMA!, which sounds as fresh to me as if it were composed this morning. That doesn't diminish my love and affection for most of their shows (ALLEGRO will never be one I like much although there are some beautiful songs) and I still remember sobbing at the finale of the fantastic Lincoln Center production of CAROUSEL with John Raitt, Jerry Orbach, Edward Everett Horton, Reid Sheltopn, and Susan Watson. Who played Julie and Nettie? They were good.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 06:11:08 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 05:50:29 AM »

Morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 05:55:51 AM »

TOD: I love the score for "Cinderella" and think it probably works better on film than on stage. The original with Julie Andrews and company is outstanding, but I grew up on the Leslie Ann Warren version that used to air every year. Pat Carroll once told me that, for years, small kids would come up to her and try to kick her in the shins for being mean to Cinderella. She loved that.

Individual songs from R&H that are favorites include "This Nearly Was Mine," "Shall We Dance?" "Allegro," "So Far," and "I Can't Say No."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 05:56:11 AM »

Great photos, BK
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 06:09:16 AM »

TOD:

My favorite R&H show is definitely CAROUSEL.

I love the songs and the ending ("I loved you, Julie.  Know that I loved you.") always brings a tear to my eye.

You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 06:31:43 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Another sleep-in day in our household and I'm being quiet so as not to bother the guys.

TOD - I, too, love OKLAHOMA and CAROUSEL.  DR Elmore and I saw together the wonderful 1980 revival of OKLAHOMA with Christine Andreas as Laurie.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2010, 06:36:08 AM »

DR Elmore - when the Lincoln Center CAROUSEL played Detroit's Fisher Theatre, the cast was:

Carrie Pipperidge...Dran Seitz
Julie Jordan...Eileen Christy
Mrs. Mullen...Benay Venuta
Billy Bigelow...Harve (be still my heart) Presnell
Nettie Fowler...Katherine Hilgenberg (who later was the U of M voice teacher of my friend Karen)
Enoch Snow...Reid Sheton (another Michigan alum)
Jigger Cragin...Jerry Orbach (the only time I saw him on stage)
Starkeeper...Edward Everett Horton
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 06:41:01 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2010, 06:45:40 AM »

DR Elmore - when the Lincoln Center CAROUSEL played Detroit's Fisher Theatre, the cast was:

Carrie Pipperidge...Dran Seitz
Julie Jordan...Eileen Christy
Mrs. Mullen...Benay Venuta
Billy Bigelow...Harve (be still my heart) Presnell
Nettie Fowler...Katherine Hilgenberg (who later was the U of M voice teacher of my friend Karen)
Enoch Snow...Reid Sheton (another Michigan alum)
Jigger Cragin...Jerry Orbach (the only time I saw him on stage)
Starkeeper...Edward Everett Horton

Those were the ladies! The tour lost John Raitt and Susan Watson. It was a beautiful production. I believe Dran Seitz was in THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD, a musical built for DR MBarnum, who seems to be E&T and missing all of my insults.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 06:52:41 AM »

I'm sure glad I'd saved that program booklet in my high school scrapbook!

FJL

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 07:28:35 AM »

From the New York times blog:

"An enormous Mylar-coated cube was perched on a sliver of red carpet next to the fountain in Bryant Park on a steamy Friday evening, and a line of more than 100 people soon snaked from the box’s lone door around the fountain. The people all waited for one thing: to discover who occupied the gift-wrapped cell."

So one would say:

And one for Mylar!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up