Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: FLOSS  (Read 21386 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re: FLOSS
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2010, 08:22:01 AM »

BK, sorry to hear about the demise of the Collectors Show.  Saw my pal Denny Miller was there (who they were advertising as "new"; he did the old show many times).  Was Brit horror star Barbara Steele there?

Cillaliz

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2010, 08:23:25 AM »

One last one...this was from a friend's facebook.  It gives you an idea of the size of the party last night

Cillaliz

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2010, 08:30:39 AM »

Thanks for the compliments on the photos...think it's time for me to try to take a nap.  I'm really tired....

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »

DR Cillaliz - sounds like you're having fun with your guests.  Mine have taken off to spend the day with their mother/grandmother.  When they get back, we're going to the Greek fest.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2010, 08:54:31 AM »

DR Cillaliz - sounds like you're having fun with your guests.  Mine have taken off to spend the day with their mother/grandmother.  When they get back, we're going to the Greek fest.

Ginny, they headed down the road at about 8:00 AM.  They have to go over 70 miles today.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2010, 08:54:50 AM »

I am sort of enjoying this LESTAT dvd - a very interesting and technological presentation....must have been even more impressive IN PERSON.....but damn.....the songs are all so DREARY so far.

I guess there is no such thing as a happy vampire.

I'm glad you are because I sure loathed it on Broadway!

The lamp is lit, the entire round trip and purchase took around 45 minutes. The Staples store on Lexington at 86th is dreadfully laid out: no up escalator, only two elevators so after waiting in the hot sunwith a crowd you have to wait for two slow elevators. The staff are all at the registers so there's no one on the floor to help when you get to the second floor so you wander till you find what you need.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2010, 08:55:34 AM »

Ok, now I'm really going to try to take a nap

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2010, 08:57:32 AM »

Thanks for the compliments on the photos...think it's time for me to try to take a nap.  I'm really tired....

Busy as a weekend in Manhattan! Neat photos.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2010, 09:12:06 AM »

Pogue, Barbara was there, stuck in a corner where a dealer used to be.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2010, 09:12:34 AM »

I'm up, the sky is blue, and I shall be jogging shortly.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2010, 09:32:38 AM »

I'm up, the sky is blue, and I shall be jogging shortly.

Glad to know that you will be getting jiggy with your jogging!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2010, 10:13:36 AM »

I took the trip to Target at 116th Street and FDR Drive. The subway ride is quick (the 6 train from Union Square to E. 116th Street) but then it's a 10 minute walk from Lexington Avenue to the East River/FDR. There are not-very-well publicized shuttles running from the subway to the complex (there is a Cost-Co, a Best Buy, a Kids Town, a Marshall's and an Old Navy as well as Target) but there is no schedule and, even  in the heat, it seemed quicker to walk. The store was VERY busy (Grand Opening). It's the biggest Target I've ever seen. It has a bigger grocery section than any other Target. It may be a Super Target but it doesn't advertise as that. There is quite a bit of merchandise but even though the store is bigger it just seems easier for me to get on the PATH Train and go to New Jersey (a 5 minute walk from the train). Oh, well. We shall see.

It's still very, very, very hot and I'm in the AC right now listening to Selected Shorts and waiting for Anthony to call to say he arrived in Annapolis safely.

That's all for now.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2010, 10:14:15 AM »

Holy Cow!  Where is everyone this morning?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2010, 10:15:42 AM »

I took the trip to Target at 116th Street and FDR Drive. The subway ride is quick (the 6 train from Union Square to E. 116th Street) but then it's a 10 minute walk from Lexington Avenue to the East River/FDR. There are not-very-well publicized shuttles running from the subway to the complex (there is a Cost-Co, a Best Buy, a Kids Town, a Marshall's and an Old Navy as well as Target) but there is no schedule and, even  in the heat, it seemed quicker to walk. The store was VERY busy (Grand Opening). It's the biggest Target I've ever seen. It has a bigger grocery section than any other Target. It may be a Super Target but it doesn't advertise as that. There is quite a bit of merchandise but even though the store is bigger it just seems easier for me to get on the PATH Train and go to New Jersey (a 5 minute walk from the train). Oh, well. We shall see.

It's still very, very, very hot and I'm in the AC right now listening to Selected Shorts and waiting for Anthony to call to say he arrived in Annapolis safely.

That's all for now.

Good idea....  and I am wearing my Selected Shorts!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2010, 10:16:39 AM »

Nice to see you online today, Ben.  Well, it is nice to see you online any time.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2010, 10:17:41 AM »

Ginny!  A very happy Sunday.
“One thing’s universal,

Ben

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »

Thank you Dear Tom!

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2010, 10:30:01 AM »

And happy Sunday to you, too, DR TCB!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2010, 10:30:58 AM »

Would anyone care to guess what STILL hasn't shown up on the grantwriters' website or in my email?

td

• td
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2010, 10:40:40 AM »

I am sort of enjoying this LESTAT dvd - a very interesting and technological presentation....must have been even more impressive IN PERSON.....but damn.....the songs are all so DREARY so far.

Perhaps you should read Christopher Moore's "Bite Me." The vampires aren't necessarily happy, but they are funny.

If you think that the San Francisco production is dour, the Broadway version is even worse!  I much prefer the dvd of LESTAT in that city by the bay. . .which brings us to Christopher Moore (and in a way back to the original INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE).  Moore is in a class by himself with his wicked sense of humor.  He creates great characters, and uses them again in other books (see A DIRTY JOB) for full effect.

One of the problems with LESTAT, and there are too many to list, is that the producers tried to change too much for New York in wanting to include most of INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE, when they originally set out to musicalize Ann Rice's THE VAMPIRE LESTAT.  The latter is a far more intersting novel, told from Lestat's point of view, rather than the whiny Louis'.  Even with the ever-charming Jim Stanek as Louis, he's still a dreadful, moping, unhappy character whom I'd not want to spend an evening being around.
In any instance, I don't think LESTAT gains any musical ground until Gabrielle's solo, "The Crimson Kiss" and Lestat's own second act solo, "Sail Me Away."
If  only Linda Woolverton had stuck to her guns and dramatized only THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »

DRs John G and Cilla nice photos.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2010, 11:13:26 AM »

Bruce congrats on the article and sales.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »

Last night DR Jane wrote:
DR Jennifer I'm not surprised the hoola hoop hurts.  The original ones do and you said these are heavier.

The regular hula hoop hurts you? I've never felt any pain when using one.

watching the videos of the people hoop dancing ... wow I want to be able to do that!

I don't remember it hurting when I was young and they were the rage.  And I did do those moves shown in your video.  I was an adult when it became popular again and it hurt, especially my back.  When the boys were in 2nd & 5th grade we went on the Disney cruise and I won the hoola hoop contest.  First I won the girls competition and then had to beat the winner of the boys, who happened to be Bryan.  I wasn't going to enter until I saw the competition and decided even if I hadn't done this in years I could do better.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2010, 11:18:27 AM »

Perhaps you should read Christopher Moore's "Bite Me." The vampires aren't necessarily happy, but they are funny.

If you think that the San Francisco production is dour, the Broadway version is even worse!  I much prefer the dvd of LESTAT in that city by the bay. . .which brings us to Christopher Moore (and in a way back to the original INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE).  Moore is in a class by himself with his wicked sense of humor.  He creates great characters, and uses them again in other books (see A DIRTY JOB) for full effect.

One of the problems with LESTAT, and there are too many to list, is that the producers tried to change too much for New York in wanting to include most of INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE, when they originally set out to musicalize Ann Rice's THE VAMPIRE LESTAT.  The latter is a far more intersting novel, told from Lestat's point of view, rather than the whiny Louis'.  Even with the ever-charming Jim Stanek as Louis, he's still a dreadful, moping, unhappy character whom I'd not want to spend an evening being around.
In any instance, I don't think LESTAT gains any musical ground until Gabrielle's solo, "The Crimson Kiss" and Lestat's own second act solo, "Sail Me Away."
If  only Linda Woolverton had stuck to her guns and dramatized only THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. . . .
Glad I missed "Lestat." Haven't had much luck trying to read Anne Rice. Wouldn't really want to hear her sung.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2010, 11:20:02 AM »

Would anyone care to guess what STILL hasn't shown up on the grantwriters' website or in my email?

Instructions on claiming your $10,000,000 bonanza from Nigeria?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2010, 11:23:40 AM »

Lifting 20 pounds of joy has been better than PT for my shoulder. :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2010, 11:29:05 AM »

]
When the boys were in 2nd & 5th grade we went on the Disney cruise and I won the hoola hoop contest.  First I won the girls competition and then had to beat the winner of the boys, who happened to be Bryan. 

I can see the news item now:

SWIVEL-HIPS MOM TROUNCES 5TH GRADER

Young boy devasted by defeat at the hands of his own Mother

Social Services considering investigation

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »

Instructions on claiming your $10,000,000 bonanza from Nigeria?

der Brucer

LOL, DR der Brucer!  That hasn't shown up either!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2010, 11:47:36 AM »

The subway ride is quick (the 6 train from Union Square to E. 116th Street) but then it's a 10 minute walk from Lexington Avenue to the East River/FDR. There are not-very-well publicized shuttles running from the subway to the complex (there is a Cost-Co, a Best Buy, a Kids Town, a Marshall's and an Old Navy as well as Target) but there is no schedule and, even  in the heat, it seemed quicker to walk.

I am still confued by the business plan that puts a big-box outlet in an environment where most shoppers plan to lug their purchases back home on a Subway.

der Brucer 

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2010, 11:57:09 AM »

The cousins are back and we're off to the Greek fest - bye for now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up