Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: FLOSS  (Read 21467 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: FLOSS
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2010, 11:57:23 AM »

Here are a couple of things they want to know: What time do you leave for work? How many cars do you own?

There are actually sound urban-planning reasons to gather such data.

I remember being sent a detailed multi-pager with lots of those kind of questions.

The forwarding  letter set forth the rationale for gathering the data, the promise to keep the data confidential, and the explicit remark that cooperation was voluntary, but would be much appreciated.

The "please" and "thank-you in advance" got them a thoughtful, detailed, response.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:59:20 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »

I am sort of enjoying this LESTAT dvd - a very interesting and technological presentation....must have been even more impressive IN PERSON.....but damn.....the songs are all so DREARY so far.

I guess there is no such thing as a happy vampire.
Perhaps you should read Christopher Moore's "Bite Me." The vampires aren't necessarily happy, but they are funny.

If you think that the San Francisco production is dour, the Broadway version is even worse!  I much prefer the dvd of LESTAT in that city by the bay. . .which brings us to Christopher Moore (and in a way back to the original INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE).  Moore is in a class by himself with his wicked sense of humor.  He creates great characters, and uses them again in other books (see A DIRTY JOB) for full effect.

One of the problems with LESTAT, and there are too many to list, is that the producers tried to change too much for New York in wanting to include most of INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE, when they originally set out to musicalize Ann Rice's THE VAMPIRE LESTAT.  The latter is a far more intersting novel, told from Lestat's point of view, rather than the whiny Louis'.  Even with the ever-charming Jim Stanek as Louis, he's still a dreadful, moping, unhappy character whom I'd not want to spend an evening being around.
In any instance, I don't think LESTAT gains any musical ground until Gabrielle's solo, "The Crimson Kiss" and Lestat's own second act solo, "Sail Me Away."
If  only Linda Woolverton had stuck to her guns and dramatized only THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. . . .
Glad I missed "Lestat." Haven't had much luck trying to read Anne Rice. Wouldn't really want to hear her sung.

I'll drink to that! I will never understand her success.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »

Pogue, Barbara was there, stuck in a corner where a dealer used to be.

I sat next to Barbara when I was there with Roger Corman.  Nice lady.
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »

Did a two mile jog, went to Gelson's, and did the first pass of my liner notes. 

Ben

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »

Rain has come and gone and it's cooler now so I've turned off the AC. I'm listening to the 4pm broadcast of Showtime on Radio Wales.

I may venture out after the show (at 5pm) and see what the wet city looks like.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2010, 02:36:23 PM »

I've taken a cool bath after sorting through a ton of DVDs and papers to send to Miami University. I think I'll finish sorting the papers now. Most of them will end up in the garbage.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2010, 02:52:59 PM »

]
When the boys were in 2nd & 5th grade we went on the Disney cruise and I won the hoola hoop contest.  First I won the girls competition and then had to beat the winner of the boys, who happened to be Bryan. 

I can see the news item now:

SWIVEL-HIPS MOM TROUNCES 5TH GRADER

Young boy devasted by defeat at the hands of his own Mother

Social Services considering investigation

der Brucer

LOL.  Even funnier, as I'm reading that I realized it was the other cruise we took the kids on.  When Bryan graduated high school we took them to Alaska and that is when I won.  Considering my age and his I think the accomplishment was even better. ;)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »

I don't know; they don't say. Some jail time and a fine.

Here are a couple of things they want to know: What time do you leave for work? How many cars do you own?

Now, if someone came to my door and asked these questions, we would all know that they are casing the place for a break-in.

:o I didn't get those questions on MY census form.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »

Enjoyed the photos from DR CILLA LIZ and DR JOHNG......looks like Saturday was a fun day!

Ditto and ditto!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2010, 03:08:20 PM »

As to Ann Rice's success. . .
Well, INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE hit the shelves at the right time, and was reasonably well-written, boasted intriguing characters, vivid descriptions of New Orleans and a subtle subtext.
The next two of her "Vampire Chronicles" continued in that vein.
Those first three novels are a remarkable achievement  as well as being highly entertaining reads.

Her non-supernatural novels, FEAST OF ALL SAINTS and CRY TO HEAVEN are also very fine reads.  The latter is about European castrati and is rich Baroque-ism at its peak.

The Mayfair Witches novels failed to ignite a spark in me, I don't even think I made it through the first one.
I've not tried her erotica.

But, her "Vampire Chronicles" even fell apart for me around the fifth or sixth entry.  Actually, it was the fifth:  MEMNOCH THE DEVIL, which I barely made it half-way through.

Now, Rice has taken on the life of Christ, twice. . and, I have no interest whatsoever.

But, those first three novels featuring Lestat. . .ah, those are wonderful creations.

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »

ATTENTION ALL POSSESSORS OF LESTAT DVDS SF or NYC

My birthday is in a littlover two weeks

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

pretty please?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »

Vixter is back from her"Regional Lutheran Youth Gathering"  she has lots of fun

vixmom

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2010, 03:20:37 PM »

I was hoping top go see Amy's premier of Jews & Baseball at Stony Brook tonight but discovered it was sold out - good for her - sad for me

vixmom

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2010, 03:27:45 PM »

We had a torrential downpour with  tremendous winds this  afternoon - our pop up tent/gazebo thingy flew across teh yard and twisted and bent and was torn

THAT lasted  for a month

:( :(

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2010, 03:32:19 PM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

It Might As Well Be Dino Since Jose Is No Longer Here

What am I, chopped liver?

(Don't answer that).

Dear Chopped Liver;

How are things in Portland?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

vixmom

« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2010, 03:39:56 PM »

When I went to the Make a Wish dinner a couple of months ago I was given a coupon good for a private tasting for up to 6 people  - since it was about to expiure Vixdad and I decided to take advantage of it on Friday - it requested a reservation 2 weeks a head pof time but I called and said we were unexpectedly free for the day and could they fit us in

they could - so we headed out there 

not for us standing at the bar with the greaqqt unwashed - no we had a private room with padded stools and a selection of cheeses, sliceed salami and crackers with homemade jam while our own personal Sommelier discussed the vintages of the various wines she  had selected for us

then we were told that we were also entitled to a15% discount on any wine we purchased that day

in the course of our discussion  I happened to mention that we were celebrating Vixdad's birthday  and the discount was increased to 30%!

George

« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »

I'm at home doing nothing, after having watched one episode of "Being Alive" on BBC and one episode of "White Collar" from USA, both recorded on the DVR. 

George

« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »

But I shall do something now...I'm going to take a shower.

George

« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »

Just had to share.

;)

vixmom

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »

As to Ann Rice's success. . .
Well, INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE hit the shelves at the right time, and was reasonably well-written, boasted intriguing characters, vivid descriptions of New Orleans and a subtle subtext.
The next two of her "Vampire Chronicles" continued in that vein.
Those first three novels are a remarkable achievement  as well as being highly entertaining reads.

Her non-supernatural novels, FEAST OF ALL SAINTS and CRY TO HEAVEN are also very fine reads.  The latter is about European castrati and is rich Baroque-ism at its peak.

The Mayfair Witches novels failed to ignite a spark in me, I don't even think I made it through the first one.
I've not tried her erotica.

But, her "Vampire Chronicles" even fell apart for me around the fifth or sixth entry.  Actually, it was the fifth:  MEMNOCH THE DEVIL, which I barely made it half-way through.

Now, Rice has taken on the life of Christ, twice. . and, I have no interest whatsoever.

But, those first three novels featuring Lestat. . .ah, those are wonderful creations.

I concur!

George

« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »

When I went to the Make a Wish dinner a couple of months ago I was given a coupon good for a private tasting for up to 6 people  - since it was about to expiure Vixdad and I decided to take advantage of it on Friday - it requested a reservation 2 weeks a head pof time but I called and said we were unexpectedly free for the day and could they fit us in

not for us standing at the bar with the greaqqt unwashed - no we had a private room with padded stools and a selection of cheeses, sliceed salami and crackers with homemade jam while our own personal Sommelier discussed the vintages of the various wines she  had selected for us

then we were told that we were also entitled to a15% discount on any wine we purchased that day

in the course of our discussion  I happened to mention that we were celebrating Vixdad's birthday  and the discount was increased to 30%!

Congrats!  Don't you love it when that happens?? :D

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2010, 03:42:26 PM »

BK - I for one would like to see you do the Broadway stars show and would hope you would do it in New York

vixmom

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2010, 03:43:42 PM »

It was a nice surprise

however in the end the "free" wine tasting  ended up costing over $300!!

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »

guess what everyone is getting for Christmas this year!!

vixmom

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »

http://www.marthaclaravineyards.com/

I wonder iff Edisaurus got a chane to tour our vineyards on her trip here?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »

I am sort of enjoying this LESTAT dvd - a very interesting and technological presentation....must have been even more impressive IN PERSON.....but damn.....the songs are all so DREARY so far.

I guess there is no such thing as a happy vampire.
Perhaps you should read Christopher Moore's "Bite Me." The vampires aren't necessarily happy, but they are funny.

If you think that the San Francisco production is dour, the Broadway version is even worse!  I much prefer the dvd of LESTAT in that city by the bay. . .which brings us to Christopher Moore (and in a way back to the original INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE).  Moore is in a class by himself with his wicked sense of humor.  He creates great characters, and uses them again in other books (see A DIRTY JOB) for full effect.

One of the problems with LESTAT, and there are too many to list, is that the producers tried to change too much for New York in wanting to include most of INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE, when they originally set out to musicalize Ann Rice's THE VAMPIRE LESTAT.  The latter is a far more intersting novel, told from Lestat's point of view, rather than the whiny Louis'.  Even with the ever-charming Jim Stanek as Louis, he's still a dreadful, moping, unhappy character whom I'd not want to spend an evening being around.
In any instance, I don't think LESTAT gains any musical ground until Gabrielle's solo, "The Crimson Kiss" and Lestat's own second act solo, "Sail Me Away."
If  only Linda Woolverton had stuck to her guns and dramatized only THE VAMPIRE LESTAT. . . .

That was one major flaw.  Trying to combine two books told from different points of view.  That would only work if you were going to tell the first act from one point of view, and the second act from the other.  Still, you would need a better score.

However, td, I disagree with you about the books.  I found INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE to be a masterful work of fiction.  I found THE VAMPIRE LESTAT to be pretentious, campy, and several times totally boring.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2010, 03:55:42 PM »

guess what everyone is getting for Christmas this year!!

Thanks, but I don't drink.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

It Might As Well Be Dino Since Jose Is No Longer Here

What am I, chopped liver?

(Don't answer that).

Dear Chopped Liver;

How are things in Portland?

Yes.  And what do you think of Kettleman's egg bagels?  Our company forgot to bring me some.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2010, 03:59:17 PM »

It was a nice surprise

I searched for this post before commenting on the 30% off.  Wow.  You had better tell people it is a special wine. ;)

George

« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2010, 03:59:49 PM »

It was a nice surprise

:o
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up