Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: VAGUELY SCANDINAVIAN  (Read 17342 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: VAGUELY SCANDINAVIAN
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 06:54:11 AM »

TOD:

I really like Terence Rattigan's plays.

Back in the 1950s, I recall seeing John Carradine at Seattle's Cirque Playhouse doing the lawyer role in THE WINSLOW BOY.

And, Michael Redgrave in THE BROWNING VERSION delivers one of the most moving performances I have ever seen anywhere.

I also like J.B. Priestly's AN INSPECTOR CALLS...probably because I did the show at the University of Washington.  The show is sort of an early Twilight Zone.  (I played the father.)

::)
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 07:01:33 AM »

I've been a big J.B. Priestley fan ever since I read "The Good Companions." I loved "Time and the Conaways" in addition "An Inspector Calls." Some of his others are good ideas that are probably better read than seen on stage, but they're still fun.

Ronald Harwood, who did the musical adaptation of "Good Companions" with Johnny Mercer and Andre Previn, is another good playwright. "The Dresser" is a solid piece of writing.

Stoppard, Frayn, Ayckbourn are a few others I have enjoyed over the years.   
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 07:01:35 AM »

I thought we were only discussing British playwrights after 1930 or so! I also don't know if our TOD includes playwrights of the British Isles or homegrown boys, but I think Irish playwright Brendan Behan's THE HOSTAGE one of the most fantastic plays written since 1950 with its mix of vaudeville, comedy and tragedy. as far as Restoration and 18th Century comedy, I have yet to meet one I don't like, and I think TWELFTH NIGHT and KING LEAR two of the best commentaries from any artist on artifice, fate, and humanity.

I didn't even mention Ayckbourn, whose comedies are much like Ravel's compositions: perfectly timed clockwork.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:44:58 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 07:04:25 AM »

Every time I hear the word "jejune," I have to think of "Love and Death":

-- That is incredibly jejune.

-- That's jejune?

-- Jejune!

-- You have the temerity to say that I'm talking to you out of jejunosity?

-- I am one of the most june people in all of the Russias.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 07:05:57 AM »

Glad to hear you got some sleep last night, Larry. Now, if only I could say the same for myself.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 07:06:11 AM »

Have a good day, all.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »

lines lines lines lines lines lines
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 08:16:50 AM »

Great news about DD Sherlock!

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 08:26:13 AM »

I don't know from the TOD.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2010, 08:26:43 AM »

Many more vibes for dear DR Ginny! Please get better very, very soon!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 08:34:59 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I dreamt the doorbell rang and so I got up.  But the doorbell was silent - it will be ringing in about thirty minutes, however.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2010, 08:54:30 AM »

Hey everybody.  TOD - I know nothing about British playwrights.  I haven't been to many plays in my day.

Vibes to DR Ginny and her family.

I'm OFF this morning.  HOO and RAY!!!  Need to be at camp by 12:30.  I don't remember what it's like to be home in the morning.  I guess it's nice...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »

Here is a "review" on the quality of the Blu and Ray of The Ghost Writer.  The "review" was followed by a series of screencaps that would seem to support what the "reviewer" is saying:

"The Ghost Writer doesn't seem to excel in any one visual area on Blu-ray  but it does appear consistent and equally healthy in all-around image quality. Detail, color and contrast are all adept enough to surmise that this is authentic to the theatrical presentation. There is no evidence of digital manipulation and hints of grain exist but is a shade more blotchy that I would like. There are some nice sequences on the island - beach dunes and wild grasses. The image is reasonably smooth without a lot of texture and only a few significant instances of depth. This Blu-ray appears to be an adequate transfer - dual-layered with a reasonable bitrate. It supported the film for a wonderful and very enjoyable presentation."

Now, considering I found that the Blu and Ray of The Ghost Writer was virtually flawless and one of the sharpest and best transfers of any new film I've seen on blu-ray, and the fact that his screencaps do not in any way reflect what is on the screen, simply makes you wonder if these people have a clew as to what movies look like.  It makes you question HOW they're TVs are calibrated and whether the calibration "experts" know what they're talking about.  It makes you wonder if people actually go to that site and believe what he's writing, which always couches his comments to make it seem like maybe that's what the director intended.

Thom

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2010, 09:17:49 AM »

From Screen Archives:  "AVANTI! (1000 EDITION / PRE-ORDER) (CD) Composed by: Carlo Rustichelli...It is as beautiful and brilliant as watching a Tuscany sunset while drinking a chianti… In a beautiful package with 16 page booklet fully of colour stills and liner notes by Bruce Kimmel. Permesso?... Avanti!."

Congratulations to BK on writing the liner notes.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 09:27:42 AM »

Thank you Druxy, Vixmom, & Jennifer.

Cillaliz

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »

Hoping no news is good news on the Ginny front....continued vibes and prayers~~~~~~~

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2010, 09:34:58 AM »

re:  BK's column and the portion on movie trailers:

I miss the days of Saturday Night at the Movies when we'd get the theatrical trailers for next week's "show".

One I remember vividly is the one Fox did for "White Witch Doctor" starring Miss Susan Hayward and Mr. Robert Mitchum.

There were many shots from the film over which we saw the cast listing for Hayward, for Mitchum for some supporting players and then, one shot from the film was of a native uprising (this was in Africa) and everyone was in ceremonial dress and jumping up and down, and the lettering that popped up over the screen proclaimed:

"And a colorful cast of thousands!"

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2010, 09:38:26 AM »

Ok LA people...  My niece (14) and nephew (11) and the DP's mom are coming for a visit.  We are heading to Disneyland for a few days, but want to stop in LA/Hollywood for 4-5 hours.  What are the best sites to show them?  The kids have never been to CA before.  We were thinking Rodeo Drive, lunch at Pinks, etc.  Is there anything anyone can think of that should not be missed?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2010, 09:43:18 AM »

Hoping no news is good news on the Ginny front....continued vibes and prayers~~~~~~~

I just spoke to Richard, and I told him that I probably wouldn't communicate again until I heard that Gnny was released and back to her own environment. He said that she's been conscious throughout everything and that they were removing IV's, tubes, etc. this morning when she's released she has to go to cardiac rehabilitation. Nothing sounds threatening or dire, thank God, and he and I hope that she will progress nicely. Steve sondheim had a heart attack in 1979 and he just turned 80.

Rob was indeed at the hospital most of yesterday, and Richard seemed amused by DR Jane's inquiry about him. I guess today he is back to school, work, whatever else he's doing and Richard is biding his time, I would say. He's gotten messages from lots of friends on Facebook and he sends thanks to everyone - I have no idea if any are from HHW folk - and I told him that i had mentioned to the DRs that she was in Miami Valley Hospital.

I see on Ginny's page we have comments from DRs Jose, singdaw, and Jason, so I don't know if they're lurking or getting info from one of the DRs.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:04:32 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2010, 10:11:50 AM »

Thank you for the update, DR Elmore. Sounds like good news!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2010, 10:14:49 AM »

Oh, I think they all lurk, don't you?  Glad to hear Ginny is not in a life-threatening place and we hope she'll be back home where she belongs soon.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »

Oh, I think they all lurk, don't you?  Glad to hear Ginny is not in a life-threatening place and we hope she'll be back home where she belongs soon.

Actually, I had never considered the fact they might lurk. If you leave it, why sneak back?

Matthew

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »

Actually, I had never considered the fact they might lurk. If you leave it, why sneak back?

I know for a fact that singdaw does not, as he has told me many times.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2010, 11:33:14 AM »

I know for a fact that singdaw does not, as he has told me many times.

I think that it's a matter of not risking being compelled to jump back in.  The cut has to be cold turkey for some...regardless of their reasons for leaving.  For some, I suspect it's a matter of how much time they spend online...and at one site.  It would be counterproductive to lurk for them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2010, 11:35:12 AM »

Rob was indeed at the hospital most of yesterday, and Richard seemed amused by DR Jane's inquiry about him. I guess today he is back to school, work, whatever else he's doing and Richard is biding his time, I would say.

I don't get why it would amuse anyone.   I think DR Jane's asking about Rob was quite a natural "motherly" thing...and it would mean something to DR Ginny, I'm sure.  Mothers have a different wavelength from the rest of us, I think.

Matthew

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2010, 11:43:34 AM »

Rob was indeed at the hospital most of yesterday, and Richard seemed amused by DR Jane's inquiry about him. I guess today he is back to school, work, whatever else he's doing and Richard is biding his time, I would say.

I don't get why it would amuse anyone.   I think DR Jane's asking about Rob was quite a natural "motherly" thing...and it would mean something to DR Ginny, I'm sure.  Mothers have a different wavelength from the rest of us, I think.

People who don't participate regularly in sites like HHW, don't understand the "connection" that one might have with the people involved in the site.  Which might be the reason some DR's have left us.  We definitely care about other DR's families as most DR's have volunteered info about their families.  No one pry's or anything like that.  People just don't understand if they don't fully understand the dynamics of the site.

Matthew

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2010, 11:43:57 AM »

Are we there yet?

Matthew

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2010, 11:44:13 AM »

Someone needs to get us off of blasted page 2

Matthew