Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BIDIN' MY TIME 'CAUSE THAT'S THE KIND OF GUY I'M  (Read 12890 times)

Cillaliz

Re: BIDIN' MY TIME 'CAUSE THAT'S THE KIND OF GUY I'M
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »

This should be page 4

Cillaliz

« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2010, 01:52:13 PM »

My work is done here

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2010, 01:53:04 PM »

I think der Brucer brings up a good point. Although there is much in the press about the symptoms of a heart attack, frequently patients do not display those symptoms--and that does NOT mean there is nothing wrong.  I see this all the time, ie, doctors ruling out certain conditions because the usual symptoms don't present themselves. Patients may be following all the guidelines and still run into trouble.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2010, 01:57:36 PM »

DR Jane, I think I will start swimming again this winter. For a while (maybe 5 or 10 years ago) that was my exercise of choice. I'd go 2 or 3 times a week for 1 hour.

I don't really like indoor swimming in the summer. But there is an indoor pool attached to the library. So since i won't be able to bike. I might try to swim once a week all winter. I think that is a goal i could maintain.

I don't care for indoor swimming either & chlorine in any pool bothers me.  I need to know if I can swim & my physical therapist told me the pool at the Y doesn't use chlorine.  Keith is a member and can take me as a guest.  I don't know how enjoyable it will be since mostly I prefer swimming laps using the crawl stroke.  I have visions of my right stroke pulling me the wrong direction, if I can even swim with it. 

Jane

« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »

My nephew called this morning and told me they had always planned to stop on the way home  and he has no idea what his mother is talking about.  She never drives this way, so she thinks no one else should either.  I did tell him she wrote me twice to say they aren't coming to visit and he thought that was terrible.

Good for your nephew! :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2010, 02:00:09 PM »

DR Jane, I think I will start swimming again this winter. For a while (maybe 5 or 10 years ago) that was my exercise of choice. I'd go 2 or 3 times a week for 1 hour.

I don't really like indoor swimming in the summer. But there is an indoor pool attached to the library. So since i won't be able to bike. I might try to swim once a week all winter. I think that is a goal i could maintain.

I don't care for indoor swimming either & chlorine in any pool bothers me.  I need to know if I can swim & my physical therapist told me the pool at the Y doesn't use chlorine.  Keith is a member and can take me as a guest.  I don't know how enjoyable it will be ..................

I don't know.  Maybe you can get Keith to take you to Men's Only Swim?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2010, 02:03:19 PM »

I don't care for indoor swimming either & chlorine in any pool bothers me.  I need to know if I can swim & my physical therapist told me the pool at the Y doesn't use chlorine.  Keith is a member and can take me as a guest.  I don't know how enjoyable it will be ..................

I'm surprised you're not wangling an invitation for yourself!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2010, 02:07:06 PM »

And, if I'm reading the cardiac diet correctly, Vera Bradley might be the only vice I have left!

Don't abandon all hope. The "heart-healthy" diet guidelines the hospital passes out are, IMHO, unnecessarily severe. I have found that the trick is to eschew the "DON'T eat this" lists and pay more attention to the "eat less of this, eat more of this" lists. The trick is to find ways to alter your food habits that work toward lowering your cardiac risks while at the same time not decreasing your joy in dining. A nice piece of oven-roasted salmon served with and herbed nice and fresh green beans with rosemary, and forzen yogurt with fresh berries for dessert: it's not roast prime rib, double-stuffed baked potato with sour cream and a hot fudge sunday - but it's still Good Easts.

When dining out in nice restaurants that serve fresh baked bread, I actually prefer dipping the crusty goodness in a mix of Olive Oil and Balsamic vinegar rather than severing it up with butter.

I've had no problem with breakfast out substituting a nice bowl of grits for the home fries.

When shopping, you need to be a compulsive label reader. You might try easing into your diet modifications by avoiding non-fat choices and opting for low fat alternatives - Land'o'Lakes low fat butter with canola oil has a lot less fats that real better, but tastes much better than Smart Choice. Hellmans Low Fat Mayo is pretty good - the non-fat is crap. Opting for Salmon over Orange Roughy is not a great sacrifice.

Pay particular attention to unintended consequences - Fish Oil pills are great supplement for lowering triglycerides - but they also act as blood thinners.

With luck - your body will help you out. When out in a restaurant my son-in-law ordered a giant order of cheesy fries as shared appetizer. Time was I would have dug in with relish - now I took a look at it, and it just didn't look appetizing.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2010, 02:07:34 PM »

How do you know I am not already a member?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2010, 02:08:21 PM »

My nephew called this morning and told me they had always planned to stop on the way home  and he has no idea what his mother is talking about.  She never drives this way, so she thinks no one else should either.  I did tell him she wrote me twice to say they aren't coming to visit and he thought that was terrible.

This is your sister you are dealing with?  Is she older or younger?  Is she on any medications?

She's the only one I have, older, now on meds for her mental issues.  She's either not speaking to me or thinks I'm her best friend in the world.  I usually have my guard up with her, but this is the first time she's said she's speaking for her kids.  Luckily I only felt bad for about a day before my nephews got back to me and told me to ignore her.   They often just let her think what she wants to think and do what they want to do, it's easier that way

Now I have more understanding of what you go through.  Hugs.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »

I think der Brucer brings up a good point. Although there is much in the press about the symptoms of a heart attack, frequently patients do not display those symptoms--and that does NOT mean there is nothing wrong.  I see this all the time, ie, doctors ruling out certain conditions because the usual symptoms don't present themselves. Patients may be following all the guidelines and still run into trouble.

Plus the symptoms for women are often more silent than for men.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »

How do you know I am not already a member?

Well, there you have me!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »

DR Ginny I can't express how delighted I am to see you posting.  Thank you for the long newsy posts.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2010, 02:13:43 PM »

However, us men are much more inclined to ignore them!

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2010, 02:13:43 PM »

Come on everyone, let's post.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2010, 02:18:04 PM »

Well, Ginny, I have always known that you had one of the biggest hearts on this site; but who knew it was inflamed?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2010, 02:18:24 PM »

However, us men are much more inclined to ignore them!

der Brucer

Very true.  ;)  If women had similar symptoms as men more would get help in time.

Jane

« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2010, 02:21:21 PM »

I spent this morning sorting stuff in the garage for my big move. Yes, I am moving. Late September I will move from my tiny little 1 bedroom cottage to a swank downtown 1950s era 2 bdrm. apartment in this building:

Of course the cars parked on the street will be more modern.

And there won't be a lawn to mow.  I hope DC Freddy adjusts as quickly as you do.

VIBES FOR A SMOOTH TRANSITION AND MOVE!!!

Did you see my post yesterday that I saw Allan?

Laura

« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2010, 02:22:11 PM »

So glad to see Ginny back home here with us and posting! What a terrible scare!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »

I am aware of my cholesterol numbers. I have a rotten family history with cholesterol. It is genetics, not particularly diet related. However, I about half follow a cardiac diet.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen - THE POOMOBILE!

British Engineers Develop Feces-Powered Car

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2010, 02:41:09 PM »

I am aware of my cholesterol numbers. I have a rotten family history with cholesterol. It is genetics, not particularly diet related. However, I about half follow a cardiac diet.

And you don't take a statin drug?

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2010, 02:46:11 PM »

I spent this morning sorting stuff in the garage for my big move. Yes, I am moving. Late September I will move from my tiny little 1 bedroom cottage to a swank downtown 1950s era 2 bdrm. apartment in this building:

And there won't be a lawn to mow.  I hope DC Freddy adjusts as quickly as you do.

Ya, Freddy is probably not going to like that he can't go outside!

I did indeed see the post about my brother. I am wondering if I will see him up here tonight for my sister and brother-in-laws 40th anniversary party. I am not sure who all is coming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »

Each of the Kritzer books ordered via this here site came with a special CD of songs sung by Guy Haines, said songs being mentioned in the books.

Laura

« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2010, 03:04:12 PM »

Yes, I take a statin drug.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »

Ya, Freddy is probably not going to like that he can't go outside!

I did indeed see the post about my brother. I am wondering if I will see him up here tonight for my sister and brother-in-laws 40th anniversary party. I am not sure who all is coming.

Have fun & happy 40th anniversary to your sister and brother-in-law!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2010, 03:19:30 PM »

I'm Not Into Pastries--

But I Love Post-ies

DERBRUCER

« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »

I'm Not Into Pastries--

But I Love Post-ies

How about pasties on a lust object?

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2010, 03:29:51 PM »

Sorry to go "silent" there for a while - I've had lots of company this afternoon.  My sister-in-law Jayne, Rob & Mary Linda, and, of course, Richard.  We have not seen Dr. Jain, but Richard reminds me that someone was probably waiting for him Wednesday afternoon when he was involved with me about 5 times longer than expected in the cath lab.

Oh, and I've received lovely flower arrangements from our church in Lima and from my sister.  Talked to her on the phone for a while before Jayne arrived.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »

Thanks, DRs JMK, MBarnum, Matthew, Thom, Jeanne, TCB, and Laura.

And congratulations to MBarnum on the classy new digs!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up