Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CHALICE FROM THE PALACE HAS THE PELLET WITH THE POISON...  (Read 13758 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: THE CHALICE FROM THE PALACE HAS THE PELLET WITH THE POISON...
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »

[Reading unrehearsed lines off the TelePrompTer]
Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Dr. Randall, what a surprise! Are you having lunch here?
Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] I will if it's that sample. Huh... I wish it was that simple.
Edmund Edwards: [offstage] This guy never heard of contact lenses?
Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] The test results have come back.
Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] And?
Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] And I'm afraid the results are very disturbing. It seems that Angelique has a rare case of brake fluid...
[pause]
Jeffrey Anderson: Bran... fluid. Bran flavor.
Burton White: What the hell?
David Barnes: [offstage] Brain fever!
Edmund Edwards: [offstage, loudly] Say it!
Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Brain fever!
Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Yes. Brain fever. Or what we call in Austria...
[they both goggle at the word]
Jeffrey Anderson: Kopfgeschlagen. At the current rate of inflation, her brain will laterally explore the...
Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Literally explode?
Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Exactly, within the next three houses.
Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Hours?
Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Yes, will literally explode within next three hours. I would suggest leaving the restraint.
Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Restaurant?
Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Restaurant, yes.
Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Her brain will actually explode?
Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Yes, yes, I've, um, seen it happen. It's a dreadful, dreadful thug. Thing.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2010, 07:47:13 PM »

TRAVEL VIBES to Cilla

vixmom

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »

HEALING VIBES to Ginny

vixmom

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »

SLEEPING VIBES to Elmore

vixmom

« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2010, 07:47:52 PM »

Composting Vibes to Laura

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2010, 07:54:15 PM »

Ditto X 4 to what Vixmom just posted!!

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2010, 07:55:05 PM »

Hi eorge how are you?

George

« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2010, 07:57:16 PM »

From "My Favorite Year": 

Alan Swann: Damn you! I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2010, 08:19:24 PM »

Topic of the Day (courtesy of IMDb):  What's Up, Doc?:

Eunice: I'm not looking for romance, Howard.
Howard: Oh?
Eunice: No, I'm looking for something more important than that, something stronger. As the years go by, romance fades and something else takes its place. Do you know what that is?
Howard: Senility?
Eunice: Trust!
Howard: That's what I meant.

~~~~

Judy: Aw come-on, Steve, you don't want to marry Eunice.
Howard: I'm not Steve. I'm Howard.
Judy: Well neither of you wants to marry Eunice.
Howard: Why do you say that?
Judy: Because you don't want to marry someone who's gonna get all wrinkled, lined, and flabby.
Howard: Everybody gets wrinkled, lined, and flabby!
Judy: By next week?

~~~~

Judy: Has anyone ever told you that you are very, very sexy?
Hugh: Well, actually no.
Judy: They never will.

~~~~

Howard: What am I gonna tell Eunice?
Judy: That's the easy part. You go up to her room. She answers the door; now she will have been crying so her eyes will be all bloodshot and her nose will be all red and runny, but you look past all that. You stare purposefully into those red-rimmed, swollen eyes, and you say, "Eunice, my dear, there's been a terrible mistake. I've behaved like a cad, a bounder! But now I see everything clearly and I've decided that Judy and I are gonna put you into a home."

~~~~

Frederick Larrabee: Don't you dare strike that brave, unbalanced woman!

~~~~

Judge Maxwell: You see this yellow pill?
Bailiff: Yes sir.
Judge Maxwell: You know what it's for?
Bailiff: What, Judge?
Judge Maxwell: To remind me to take this BLUE pill!
Bailiff: What's the blue one for, Judge?
Judge Maxwell: I don't know. They're afraid to tell me.

;D

I just reviewed the Blu-ray (streeting today).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »

And, hi, y'all.  We're in semi-lovely Redding, California.  Last night we stayed in the oh, so quaint Rail Road Park that DR Jane recommended.  Tomorrow we're in semi-lovely Fresno.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »

I will most likely have to ketchup later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »

Thanks to a dear reader, I am watching one of the single most horrifying things I have ever seen, worse than any horror movie - the revival of Promises, Promises.  The director of this show should not be allowed near a show ever again, and yet here he is in LA helming a new musical.  Not only that, the gentleman in question, who attended last week's recording session, was beyond rude, not saying hello to one person in the booth who didn't have something major to do with the show, and that includes having the courtesy to say hello to me and my engineer - and certainly unless this "person" has been living under a rock, which is entirely possible, he would know who I am.  And I don't mind that kind of arrogance IF the person has genius or even a boatload of talent.  This man, based on everything I've seen, has nothing - and this revival is putrid and makes me want to vomit on the ground for reasons I will go into in the notes.  And frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn WHO knows.  How DARE him do this to this show, which, believe me, did not need his help, not in any way, shape, or form.  Sean Hayes, while perfectly okay perfectly likable, is so lightweight that there's no there there.  Jerry Orbach you cared about.  Jerry Orbach didn't need to do TV sitcom shtick to get his laughs - no, Jerry Orbach spoke Mr. Simon's lines well and got his laughs.  That's called having both timing and understanding and trusting the material.  His leading lady is twenty years too old for the part and therefore the part makes no sense on any level.  The added songs?  Awful.  Disgusting.  Nauseating.  One of the greatest overtures ever written has been ruined AND because the director doesn't trust that an audience can just revel in a great overture, he stages it, with poor Mr. Hayes forced to sit there while people do meaningless steps around him.  Terrible.  Grapes of Roth's arrangement has also been changed and ruined - in the original, that number brought down the house and it wasn't even a number - it wasn't so much choreographed as brilliantly imagined by Michael Bennett, who, by the way, WAS a genius and understood the POINT of a number.  Adding dancers to She Likes Basketball, one of the most glorious solos ever?  Talk about a fool who doesn't trust the material and just wants to show off.  It is C.C. Baxter's number, period.  Add dancers and it becomes stupid.  And prior to it, add Say A Little Prayer, which sits there like a lox because - wait for it - it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS SHOW, and you stop the show cold and not in a good way.

And Turkey Lurkey Time?  Worse than you can imaging, perhaps one of the all-time botches of a sure-fire showstopper.  With Michael Bennett, who knew how to build a number until the audience was in a frenzy, this number tore the roof off the theater - it door the damn roof off New World Stages when we did the Bacharach benefit.  But no, this director/choreographer has to put his own inept stamp on it, and so we get one meaningless unexciting step after another - he actually has the temerity to ADD music to the end while they do MORE meaningless steps.  The tepid applause (no matter how hard the teens in the audience try to have it be otherwise) says all there is to day.  And then follow it with an added six minutes for A House is Not A Home, and they completely subvert and ruin one of the great act one closers - going directly from a showstopper to a heartbreaker moment.  That's what this show is, and that's what this director does not understand.

And I haven't even seen act two yet.  Be afraid, be very afraid.

vixmom

« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »

I amthinking of getting  a GPS any onw have a ny thoughts or recomendations?

JMK

« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2010, 08:25:59 PM »

A few favorites from "The Ref" with Judy Davis, Kevin Spacey and Denis Leary., The rest of the best lines are bit laden with profanity. Yet I suggest you watch the movie if you like a good laugh. I watch it every Christmas:

John Chasseur: Mom, the TV's broken. What are we gonna do all night?
Connie Chasseur: Celebrate the birth of Christ!

Connie Chasseur: Who would catch a criminal, and then let him go free?
Mary Chasseur: Republicans.

"Oh, just shoot her."

I love this movie!

Betsy and I also love this flick:  "Oh, my God, I've kidnapped my parents."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »

A few favorites from "The Ref" with Judy Davis, Kevin Spacey and Denis Leary., The rest of the best lines are bit laden with profanity. Yet I suggest you watch the movie if you like a good laugh. I watch it every Christmas:

John Chasseur: Mom, the TV's broken. What are we gonna do all night?
Connie Chasseur: Celebrate the birth of Christ!

Connie Chasseur: Who would catch a criminal, and then let him go free?
Mary Chasseur: Republicans.

"Oh, just shoot her."

I love this movie!

Betsy and I also love this flick:  "Oh, my God, I've kidnapped my parents."

Well, that's a polite paraphrase. I also love the moment where Kevin Spacey tells his mother (a deliciously ugly Glynis Johns) that he's going to get her a wooden cross for Christmas so that every time she's feeling neglect, she can crawl up and nail herself to it. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2010, 08:37:35 PM »

BK: The new "Turkey Lurkey Time" is a horror. Sorry you're suffering through the whole shebang. Only Katie Finneran in the second act was worth anything.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2010, 08:41:24 PM »

Thanks to a dear reader, I am watching one of the single most horrifying things I have ever seen, worse than any horror movie - the revival of Promises, Promises.  The director of this show should not be allowed near a show ever again, and yet here he is in LA helming a new musical.  Not only that, the gentleman in question, who attended last week's recording session, was beyond rude, not saying hello to one person in the booth who didn't have something major to do with the show, and that includes having the courtesy to say hello to me and my engineer - and certainly unless this "person" has been living under a rock, which is entirely possible, he would know who I am.  And I don't mind that kind of arrogance IF the person has genius or even a boatload of talent.  This man, based on everything I've seen, has nothing - and this revival is putrid and makes me want to vomit on the ground for reasons I will go into in the notes.  And frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn WHO knows.  How DARE him do this to this show, which, believe me, did not need his help, not in any way, shape, or form.  Sean Hayes, while perfectly okay perfectly likable, is so lightweight that there's no there there.  Jerry Orbach you cared about.  Jerry Orbach didn't need to do TV sitcom shtick to get his laughs - no, Jerry Orbach spoke Mr. Simon's lines well and got his laughs.  That's called having both timing and understanding and trusting the material.  His leading lady is twenty years too old for the part and therefore the part makes no sense on any level.  The added songs?  Awful.  Disgusting.  Nauseating.  One of the greatest overtures ever written has been ruined AND because the director doesn't trust that an audience can just revel in a great overture, he stages it, with poor Mr. Hayes forced to sit there while people do meaningless steps around him.  Terrible.  Grapes of Roth's arrangement has also been changed and ruined - in the original, that number brought down the house and it wasn't even a number - it wasn't so much choreographed as brilliantly imagined by Michael Bennett, who, by the way, WAS a genius and understood the POINT of a number.  Adding dancers to She Likes Basketball, one of the most glorious solos ever?  Talk about a fool who doesn't trust the material and just wants to show off.  It is C.C. Baxter's number, period.  Add dancers and it becomes stupid.  And prior to it, add Say A Little Prayer, which sits there like a lox because - wait for it - it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS SHOW, and you stop the show cold and not in a good way.

And Turkey Lurkey Time?  Worse than you can imaging, perhaps one of the all-time botches of a sure-fire showstopper.  With Michael Bennett, who knew how to build a number until the audience was in a frenzy, this number tore the roof off the theater - it door the damn roof off New World Stages when we did the Bacharach benefit.  But no, this director/choreographer has to put his own inept stamp on it, and so we get one meaningless unexciting step after another - he actually has the temerity to ADD music to the end while they do MORE meaningless steps.  The tepid applause (no matter how hard the teens in the audience try to have it be otherwise) says all there is to day.  And then follow it with an added six minutes for A House is Not A Home, and they completely subvert and ruin one of the great act one closers - going directly from a showstopper to a heartbreaker moment.  That's what this show is, and that's what this director does not understand.

And I haven't even seen act two yet.  Be afraid, be very afraid.

Don't hold back, BK.  Go ahead...tell us how you REALLY feel.

;)

George

« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »

Time to head home.

Be back later.

Laura

« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2010, 08:52:57 PM »

Anyone want to bet that this production of Promises Promises will be touring next year?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »

It probably will - too bad.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »

I'm almost through with it and the finale cannot come soon enough.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »

What is the deal today?  Where was everyone and you know exactly who I'm talking about.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2010, 10:15:53 PM »

I'm having some rice.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2010, 10:16:12 PM »

I have finished act two which was just as bad as act one.

George

« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2010, 12:03:45 AM »

I forgot to post...I got a hair cut today!

George

« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »

Actually, I got them all cut.

George

« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2010, 12:04:38 AM »

I'm watching "White Collar," right now.

George

« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2010, 12:05:05 AM »

I don't remember when the last time I got my hair cut, but I certainly needed it.

George

« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2010, 12:08:13 AM »

Tomorrow, I'm having lunch with my friend Margo and Jan, a former co-worker who retired about four or five years ago.

George

« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2010, 12:08:29 AM »

And since we're (finally) so close...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up