Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HEAT WAVE  (Read 75042 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:HEAT WAVE
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2004, 08:52:28 AM »

I sure hope the heat wave breaks by Sunday.  Speaking of LA, what time shall we meet at Du-Par’s?  After the breakfast crowd and rush hour would be nice.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2004, 08:54:34 AM »

We've had rain for the last three days, but we're supposed to get up to the high 80s by Thursday. Can't say I'm dying to get there. I like the crispness and coolness of spring, and it's great saving money not running either heat or air conditioning during these few months between seasons.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2004, 08:55:02 AM »

Page two dance!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2004, 09:02:33 AM »

Du-Par's is only really crowded for breakfast on Sundays.  Monday are not a problem, so anytime is fine - whatever works for others.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2004, 09:26:10 AM »

...what time shall we meet at Du-Par’s?  After the breakfast crowd and rush hour would be nice.

Du-Par's is only really crowded for breakfast on Sundays.  Monday are not a problem, so anytime is fine - whatever works for others.

Is 10 am workable for everyone?  I'm the one in this crowd who will have to contend with traffic, especially at that infernal 101/170 interchange.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »

You see, Dear Readers, this is how people in Lalaland arrange their lives.  By the traffic.

Jay

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2004, 09:28:53 AM »

Good vibes to Dear Reader Michael Shayne, his Dear father, and all those who are Dear to them.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2004, 09:32:04 AM »

Lovely dRJANE!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2004, 09:33:06 AM »

DR Michael Shayne:

All the best wishes and vibes and such for your Dad.

And as an added note, I am sure you must be aware, although other DRs may not be, that the redoubtable Leslie Parrish guest starred on the TV series Michael Shayne, in Episode 1.12 "Death Selects a Winner" in December 1960, in the rôle of "Ellen".  And that is your Michael Shayne/Leslie Parrish connection for the day.

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2004, 09:33:14 AM »

Up to others - I only live five minutes away and am flexible, oh, yes, I am flexible.  Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2004, 09:35:21 AM »

Gonna be another hot day - oh, a Schmidt and Jones reference.  Luckily, it's still cool in the home environment.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2004, 09:36:54 AM »

I'm lurking, not lurching, waiting for a possible phone call about bringing a friend home from surgery if her companion can't make it, and dealing with Mickey and Judy!

DR Michael,  I wish you all the best with your father's health situation and a safe trip there and back as well.

Back to M&J!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2004, 09:37:42 AM »

But I wish I were lunching with you all at Du-Par's.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2004, 09:40:08 AM »

On the topic o' the day:

Since money is no object, I, like Dear Reader Jane, would do a good deal of travel.  One still needs an anchor to call home, so--you did say money is no object, right?--I would have a  beautiful beaux arts mansion (of the Stanford White ilk) upon a bluff overlooking the Hudson Valley.  

This would require--money's no object, right?--a proper pied-a-terre on Central Park West in the mid-seventies.  (Facing the park, of course.)  

It gets chilly in New York during the winter, so I would also require a winter getwaway in the Springs of Palm, preferably in the old Movie Colony.  

It gets hot in New York during the summer, too, which would warrant--limitless money is divine, isn't it, Dear Readers--a cabin (with three or four bedrooms and five baths) on a private lake high in the mountains somewhere nice.  Something in the Berkshires perhaps.  Or near Lake Tahoe.  Or in Maine.  Or all of them!  

A beach house on the Monterey Peninsula would come in handy, too.  

Not to mention the getaway place on Molokai.  

That should do it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 09:43:27 AM by Jay »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2004, 09:44:44 AM »

I would have a magnificent penthouse in NY with views all around.

I would pay off my house where I currently live, add on two rooms and put a pool in the yard.

I would then either write novels all the livelong day, produce CDs when I felt like it, and travel to the places I've always wanted to go to - i.e. London, Paris, Italy and Japan.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2004, 09:51:22 AM »

You know what the problem with seeing Porgy and Bess is - I've been singing "I'm talkin' 'bout deviled clams" for three days.

I think my lunch will get rescheduled until tomorrow or the next day - I'll know at noon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2004, 09:58:41 AM »

I'm talkin' 'bout devilled clams.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2004, 10:07:02 AM »

Best wishes to DR Michael.  If you need anything at all while you're in town, please feel free to email me.

Oh and I agree about Alias, I was not impressed with last's episode.  I just hope the finale is better (last year's was wickedly crazy).  

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2004, 10:13:28 AM »

As for where I would buy homes, if $$ was no object.  Well there are a few places that I have never been, which I want to visit.  Hawaii, Venice, and Paris are a few of them.  And I'd like a nice penthouse in NYC.  And a place in St. Thomas.

That's just for starters!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2004, 10:20:43 AM »

Best wishes to DR Michael and those he holds near and dear.

As for the TOD:  Unlike my dear brother, I would return to the borough of our birth, Brooklyn, no...I had better city views when I lived on the Island of Roosevelt (which, for those of you who are not familiar, is a spit of land in the middle of East River.  It offers tremendous city spanning views, as well as an outdoor pool, at least in the complex in which I used to reside.  And since money is not object neither would be a car and driver at my beck and call.)

Bermuda is just made for NY winters.

An annual world cruise would also be nice.

And since Rochester has become my adopted home, summering in one of the grand manses either on East Avenue, or on the shores of Lake Ontario would suit me just fine.  (The ones on Lake Shore Boulevard, if any of you know the area.)  I can feel the lake breezes now.

The TOD also included a reference to what we would all do, if we had our druthers.  Or at least one druther, I suppose.  If I needed to work, and was to remain in my chosen field, I would produce grand musicals.  If it had to be a field other than the one in which we earn our living, I have always wanted to be an architect.

Jane

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2004, 10:25:18 AM »

Lovely dRJANE!

And I owe it all to you.  From now on when I look at a dancing rose, I shall think of you. :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2004, 10:27:03 AM »

I don't need extra homes.  I like where we're living now, very much.  Well, except that if we've got all that money we're going to need a larger place, with room for myself, der Brucer, the dogs, guest rooms for the grandlads, and live-in quarters for our staff.

I figure two on-staff should do us quite nicely.  One for housekeeping, and one for travel.  That way we could head up to NYC or Philly, or over to Bal'more or down to DC, and I wouldn't have to worry about what the stress of driving is doing to der B.  And we could stay at a nice hotel for a night or two, with someone to take care of the mutts and plants while we're away.

If would help if our driver was also a pilot, of course, for longer trips.  But I think we could rent a jet, no need to outright buy one.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2004, 10:31:01 AM »

I love THE BANDWAGON!

Jeffrey Cordova:  And it's all got to end with eternal damnation!

Lester:  That'll leave 'em laughing.

Jeffrey:  When I see talent, when I see theater, when I see culture, I'm in it up to my armpits.

Lester:  That's higher than usual, isn't it?

LOL....and Nanette Fabray is so pretty with a lovely figure and a sweet singing voice.  Of course I keep waiting for her to ask the stage manager:  "Where's my f#&king ukelele?"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2004, 10:32:34 AM »

Best wishes to Michael, and safe journeying.

Get well sometime soon, Jose.

As for my shrinkage appointment, the shrinker's office called early this morning to cancel.  Has to be rescheduled.  No emergency on my end, just hope he's all right.

We're having a rainish day, quite pleasant.  Der Brucer and the pups are looking out his window, watching squirrels and cardinals.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2004, 10:33:06 AM »

Okay now let's see if this works.

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2004, 10:34:25 AM »

Woohoo, first try. I am so proud.

Yeah DRs Jrand, and Jane!

Haha, DR Jane, I followed your special "for stupid people" instructions.  They were perfect! :)

Jane

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2004, 10:35:12 AM »

Ten would be fine with us.  I just hope I'm hungry by then after all the Sunday eating we will be doing.  Like I even need to be hungry to eat Du-Par's pancakes with boysenberry syrup.

Panni is ten okay with you?  And Charles Pogue are you going to join us?

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2004, 10:36:23 AM »

Um DR Jane, just so I know, how do I make sure I don't find the illegal ones? (like your famous birthday one) :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2004, 10:37:15 AM »

Today's TOD:

I'd have about 50 acres of land in South Carolina and a nice sprawling house with indoor/outdoor pool, a greenhouse, gardens (vegetable and floral).  

I'd live as graciously as is humanly possible with my own screening room, my own music room, my own library, etc., in addition to entertaining areas, huge kitchen where I could experiment with all manner of cuisine any time I wanted.

I'd take classes in various types of cuisine, I'd learn German and Greek, I'd travel several months a year, and would rent condos or houses a month at a time in all the places I visited.

And if my pockets were still deep, I think I would invest in the types of businesses I'd like to frequent in my nearby town/city.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2004, 10:38:36 AM »

Jennifer-LOL.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up