Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WARM COCKLES  (Read 10549 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WARM COCKLES
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:49:40 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were warm and had occasional cockles, and now it is time for you to post until the cockled cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: WARM COCKLES
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »

And the word of the day is: FOUDROYANT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:03:22 AM »

As promised, our new release.  Shhhh.  For your eyes only.  You know the drill - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping paid via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net. 

Kritzerland is proud to present a very special 2 CD soundtrack release:

ONE-EYED JACKS

Music Composed and Conducted by Hugo Friedhofer

From the moment of their inception, some films are simply destined to become legendary in one way or another and Marlon Brando’s sole directorial effort had legend stamped on it from the get-go.  Based on the book The Authentic Death of Hendry Jones by Charles Neider, the film’s first script was written by a young up-and-coming writer named Sam Peckinpah.  It was subsequently re-written by Calder Willingham and then Guy Trosper.  After viewing a movie called The Killing, Brando hired its director, Stanley Kubrick.  By the time the film went before the cameras, Kubrick was gone and Brando was not only starring, but also directing.   While the end result might not be to everyone’s liking, the fact is that the finished film is oddly compelling, poetic, and sometimes completely bizarre, and fully deserving of its legendary cult status.

The film looks gorgeous – it was the final film made in Paramount’s brilliant process, VistaVision, and the great Charles Lang was the director of photography.   The cast also included Karl Malden, Katy Jurado, Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, and the supremely weird Timothy Carey.  There are some truly great scenes and some eminently quotable dialogue (“Get up off the floor, you scum-sucking pig”).   But what gives the film a great deal of its luster and brilliance is the score by Hugo Friedhofer.

Sometimes the stars are magically aligned and a composer gets a perfect project, one that plays to all his musical strengths – Friedhofer’s music elevates One-Eyed Jacks in every sense – it’s passionate, beautiful, exciting, dramatic, luminous – and one of Friedhofer’s greatest achievements, in a career filled with them: The Best Years of Our Lives, The Bishop’s Wife, The Rains of Ranchipur, This Earth Is Mine, The Young Lions (also with Brando), The Harder They Fall, Vera Cruz, Soldier of Fortune, Seven Cities of Gold, Violent Saturday, Hondo, Rancho Notorious, Broken Arrow, and the list could go on for several more pages.

One-Eyed Jacks was originally released on LP by Liberty Records.  Friedhofer had all the scoring masters available to him and from these he prepared the album release (any thoughts of a 2 LP set vanished when the film did not perform at the box office).  Obviously because of LP time restrictions, less than half of Friedhofer’s amazing score was on the album.  On CD 1, we present that original album program, remastered from the original two-track album masters, along with two alternate cues from the full score.  On CD 2 we present Friedhofer’s entire score in all its magnificence, in pristine stereo sound.  To hear this score complete is a revelation – and for Friedhofer fans and any fan of great film music, this 2 CD set is a must-have.  This is the world premiere release of any of this music on CD.  The booklet features new and great liner notes by Nick Redman.

This release is limited to 1200 copies only.  For this release, we are offering this 2 CD set at our usual 1 CD price:  $19.98 plus shipping. 

CD will ship by the last week of September – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:09:11 AM »

Just ordered the new CD!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 12:23:58 AM »

I see Sam never bothered to show up tonight.  This is, for me, one of the great film scores, and even at 1200 it will not be around long - let's just say I have insider information about the dealer orders on this title, and there aren't a lot left for me to sell on the site.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 12:46:47 AM »

Isn't it amusing that last night we had about five people here - none of whom showed up for the announcement.  Yeah, that's amusing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 12:47:04 AM »

So amusing that I may simply stop doing the advance announcements.

George

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 01:00:34 AM »

Well, I hope you don't stop the advance announcements. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 01:13:55 AM »

And on that note (A...for Advance Announcements ;)), I'm off to bed.  Friday was my dad's 72nd birthday, but we're celebrating today (Sunday).  I don't exactly know what's happening, but I have the gift card for Barnes and Noble that we all got for him and I also bought him the first season of "Warehouse 13."  He really likes this show....I hope he likes the DVDs.

Good night, BK and guests.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 02:23:36 AM »

It's 5AM, I'm here and I'm ordering!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 04:19:50 AM »

Good morning, all! As soon as I posted, i left he site, read a bit about Charles Gounod and the turnoils of composing FAUST between 1859 and 1868, and went to bed. When the alarm went off this morning, I was dreaming about staging THE BEGGAR'S OPERA.

I am up quite early because i have a long morning ahead of me at Toyland; I have to find all of my notepads on BABES IN TOYLAND in an effort to find where i wrote - around 2006 - copyright dates on all M. Witmark & Sons publications of the score. I also have to inventory all of the songs for the Herbert recording beginning Sept 18, since I need them for a meeting with New World Records tomorrow afternoon. I want the work finished today so I don't spend time tomorrow trying to locate materials.

BK, sorry I missed your question last night. John Esche was mentioned in passing, along with other posters on the cast recording list. I hadn't seen Darrel in about a year so we had lots of territory to cover. from the Casrecl to THE WIZARD OF OZ in Canton, OH.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 05:09:40 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 05:10:28 AM »

It promises to be another day that will hover around 100 degrees and melt you the moment you step outside. Except for church, I think I'll stay inside most of the day.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Thom

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 05:53:02 AM »

So amusing that I may simply stop doing the advance announcements.

CD ordered. Please do not stop advanced announcements.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 06:00:40 AM »

Ordered!

The early announcement happens about 3 ayem here, so sometimes I can't stay awake until then - but it's nice to see it first thing on the morning!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 06:03:05 AM »

Ah yes, DR MICHAEL S, I love Jean Seberg even in AIRPORT & PAINT YOUR WAGON.

Lee Marvin: You mean you wuz down at the river at 8 o'clock in the mornin' bare beam and buck nekkid?

Jean: Yes I was.  Would you rather I be down at the river at noon, bare beam and buck nekkid?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 06:03:41 AM »

Please do not stop the early announcements because some of us are sleepy heads.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 06:04:21 AM »

I think DR MBARNUM was going to watch the Steve Cochran movie festival last night - I wonder what he thought of said films?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 06:09:22 AM »

DotM never responded to my lovely PM last night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 06:10:45 AM »

Good morning!  Much to do today.....first laundry, then coffee with the HPC Chair to plan for the meeting in September and a seminar called Mortar Matters that will be here in September. 

The rest of the day it will be time to dig in, get the trial notebook in order and take all the info in my head, organize it and do my final preparations for trial.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 06:12:16 AM »

Yes MR BK - this is the CD I ordered from an American seller. Is this the one you have?

I didn't know about the copyright stuff going on.....does the CD sound okay? It does say "carefully restored", but who knows....

http://www.amazon.com/Bonjour-Tristesse-Gervaise-Christine-Soundtrack/dp/B003HMFBK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1282482192&sr=1-1

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 06:12:45 AM »

Yes DR CILLA LIZ it will be a busy day here, as well.....but mostly concerning lines.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 06:15:10 AM »

Nice slide show of a home I considering buying in Montecito, CA.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704868604575433410650321600.html?mod=yahoo_RE

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 06:15:23 AM »

If I win the Powerball next week.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 06:17:22 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! My taxi driver was not awake this morning, drove me some distance out of my way to my dismay, but I am safely here. I've located my copyright info, so all is well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 06:20:05 AM »

Morning all.

The temperature has dropped but it is muggy and it may rain off and on all day.

That is all.

FJL

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 06:27:58 AM »

HE DROVE ME TO MY DISMAY - the name of my new tome about ... I don;t know what

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 06:30:02 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  Another day of solitude for me - Richard's at church and Rob's doing clinical practice at the hospital from which I was released 2 weeks ago.  First, some breakfast!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 06:35:25 AM »

So, will it be peaches or bananas in your oatmeal, Ginny? I'm having peaches.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 06:41:19 AM »

DR BEN I forgot to ask you if the wardrobe malfunction was mentioned when you went to see WITH A SONG IN MY HEART.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up