Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: STARTING HERE, STARTING NOW  (Read 11263 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: STARTING HERE, STARTING NOW
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2010, 10:38:11 AM »

And now...

!!!PAGE THREE!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »

Alas, another one will be biting the dust next January...

Barnes & Noble Near Lincoln Center Will Close in January 2011

As a former B&N employee I can testify that the morons who own the company are out to lunch: for several years they've had posters hangign in their stores saying "order online for same day delivery" and they wonder why business inside the stores is falling off because they're pushing customers to order from home. That store's closing will leave a huge hole at Lincoln Center and it was the perfect location for a store pushing CDs, DVDs, and a large performance section. Very sad.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2010, 10:40:05 AM »

Oh, and half of the household is awake.  Me and one dog.  DP and the other dog are still asleep.  I think we are going to Target today and I guess I should figure out what I want to do this year in the classroom.  I'm hoping to change my routine a little, we'll see what happens.

A new avatar!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »

Happy Birthday to Hisaka!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2010, 10:41:35 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2010, 10:42:01 AM »

DR Jose that donut looks interesting!

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »

I used to have a Krispy Kreme a few minutes away. But it closed. I really liked their donuts though. I don't think i've had one since that store closed.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »

As a former B&N employee I can testify that the morons who own the company are out to lunch: for several years they've had posters hangign in their stores saying "order online for same day delivery" and they wonder why business inside the stores is falling off because they're pushing customers to order from home. That store's closing will leave a huge hole at Lincoln Center and it was the perfect location for a store pushing CDs, DVDs, and a large performance section. Very sad.

Well, if the Virgin Megastore had to close due to an increase in rent - and they were apparently the highest-grossing retail store in Times Square - I guess anything is possible.  I just hope that the Lincoln Triangle B&N doesn't become another Forever 21.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2010, 10:48:22 AM »

DR Jose that donut looks interesting!

It was more than interesting, it was delicious! Just think of it as a Blueberry Cake in doughnut form. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2010, 10:53:04 AM »

I don't know that it's inherently moronic to offer customers the opportunity to order online (making it easier for people to give you money is rarely a bad idea), but I'll be very sad to see this one go. It was a fun place to browse.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2010, 10:58:33 AM »

I don't know that it's inherently moronic to offer customers the opportunity to order online (making it easier for people to give you money is rarely a bad idea), but I'll be very sad to see this one go. It was a fun place to browse.

I agree. What's moronic is their finding problems with their store's management for the in-store sales falling off. I wonder if they're closing the Lincoln Center store for falling sales.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2010, 11:00:09 AM »

I always interpreted those "Order Online for Same Day Delivery" as a way for customers to get a book that day that may not be on the shelf that day in-store.  In essence, it allows the store to "carry" more inventory - to have "everything" - without eating up valuable shelf-space.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »

Guess I'll go attempt a jog shortly.  Trying to find out when CDs will be here this week.  My gal never responded on Friday and she's out today, so I went straight to the owner.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »

Donuts is always a very dangerous topic for me because now I think I'll eat a VERY light meal and have two donuts after.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2010, 11:02:47 AM »

It's interesting, too, that they're blaming increase in rent. Usually the rent in an area goes up after a Barnes & Noble store opens.  When the one at 82 and Broadway opened, a lot of small stores between 86th and 79th closed because of increased rents. What can be causing a big increase at Lincoln Center?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2010, 11:05:41 AM »

I agree. What's moronic is their finding problems with their store's management for the in-store sales falling off. I wonder if they're closing the Lincoln Center store for falling sales.

From what I understand - since I know one of the managers of another store in that "Triangle" - the rent on that space is almost doubling.  Further south and east, the Disney Store decided to shut down their Fifth Avenue location more than a year before their new Times Square "Interactive" location opens.  They were driven out by an astronomical rent increase too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »

From what I understand - since I know one of the managers of another store in that "Triangle" - the rent on that space is almost doubling.  Further south and east, the Disney Store decided to shut down their Fifth Avenue location more than a year before their new Times Square "Interactive" location opens.  They were driven out by an astronomical rent increase too.

Disney can't afford the rents there?! Who on earth is going to go into that location?

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2010, 11:11:27 AM »

I enjoyed the Emmys last night. I thought that Jimmy Fallon was very funny.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »

Top Chef DC starts here today on the food network (i think it is almost done in the US). I love this show. I hate that we are so far behind. But hopefully I can remain spoiler free. I managed to remain spoiler free for both The Next Food Network Star and The Next Great Artist (which both ended here last week).

I was happy that Top Chef won the emmy. I also like The Amazing Race. But Top Chef is definitely one of my favorites.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »

It's interesting, too, that they're blaming increase in rent. Usually the rent in an area goes up after a Barnes & Noble store opens.  When the one at 82 and Broadway opened, a lot of small stores between 86th and 79th closed because of increased rents. What can be causing a big increase at Lincoln Center?

I believe the recent improvements to Lincoln Center's campus may be contributing to the recent rent increases around the Lincoln Center area. However, I believe all the new buildings and renovations around 72nd Street are also driving up the rents - including the one with the new Bank of America branch and the UWS Trader Joe's.  And don't forget the new-ish Apple Store at 67th.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2010, 11:14:23 AM »

Disney can't afford the rents there?! Who on earth is going to go into that location?

And, of course, apparently, no one has expressed an interest in taking over that space since the Disney Store shuttered at the end of last year.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2010, 11:17:41 AM »

On a related note, did you know that the Fifth Avenue Apple Store - the 24-hour one - is now a bigger "tourist attraction" than The Empire State Building in both number of visitors and revenue?
Make Your Own Luck.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2010, 11:20:30 AM »

JoseSPiano, I could eat the creme brulee donuts at doughnut plant all day, every day.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2010, 11:22:24 AM »

I was rooting for GLEE to win Best Comedy.

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2010, 11:22:48 AM »

DR Jane did you ever watch any episodes of the GLADES? I am still watching it and still really like it a lot.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2010, 11:23:53 AM »

Btw, i've read the first 3 books (of 6) of the LISA GARDNER FBI PROFILER series. And so far i really like this series too. Although the 2nd and 3rd books were much better than the 1st (the first was still pretty good - you get to know the FBI Profiler).

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2010, 11:24:24 AM »

I have a lot of reading to do. I have like 9 books due over the next 6 weeks.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »

JoseSPiano, I could eat the creme brulee donuts at doughnut plant all day, every day.

Well, every day except for Monday since that's when they're closed... As I "remind myself" every now and then whenever I take the trip down to the LES on a Monday afternoon.
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »

I think that the reality is that, with the possible exception of used bookstores, your standard brick & mortar bookstore is going to totally disappear in the next few years.

If you're like me, you go into a Borders or B&N, check out a book that interests you, then you go home and order from Amazon or somepalce else for a fraction of the cost.

It's a sad situation, but it is what it is.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »

Since I'm not a NYC resident and I have only been to Lincoln Center once, isn't that the location of Jullliard?  Seems to me that something like Barnes and Nobel would be essential for purchasing of DVD's and CD's in that area ever since they closed all the Tower Records.  It's really sad that something like that has to go away because of rent. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up