Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: CINCO DE MUSTARD  (Read 95835 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:CINCO DE MUSTARD
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2004, 08:06:19 PM »

Good question, Matt, and I'm surprised you didn't bring it up during our telephone chat tonight.  Thanks so much for your kind words (and the laughs).

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]And it's MY PAGE 8 DANCE!!![/move]

« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 08:07:07 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #211 on: May 05, 2004, 08:15:32 PM »

Went to Best Buy after work and picked up the new 2nd volume of Abbott and Costello movies on DVD as well as volume two of the Ma and Pa Kettle films! Can't wait to watch HIT THE ICE which is one of my favorite A&B movies!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2004, 08:26:15 PM »

I knew the second A&C set came out this week (THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES is my favorite A&C after HOLD THAT GHOST in their pre-"Meets" period), but I didn't know the second KETTLE set is out this week. Wow! I haven't even cracked open the first one yet! Argh!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #213 on: May 05, 2004, 08:27:54 PM »

Matth it is too bad we don't live in the same part of the country...you and I could have a Kettle's filmfest...you are probably the only person I know that would even watch those with me!!

MBarnum

« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2004, 08:29:53 PM »

Sad new regarding one of my favorite 1980s bands..

ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) -- Felix Haug, half of the band Double that had a worldwide hit with the song "The Captain of Her Heart" in the 1980s, died Saturday from a heart attack, his family said. He was 52.

Haug, a drummer and keyboard player, joined the trio Ping Pong in 1980 along with singer and guitarist Kurt Maloo. They later decided to perform as a duo and formed Double in 1983.

The band was one of the most popular Swiss musical acts of all time. "The Captain of Her Heart" sold more than 1.5 million singles to become a top-10 hit across Europe in 1986 and reached No. 16 in the U.S. charts.

The album, which included the song "Blue", was released in more than 50 countries.

I have their CD and it is one of my favorites!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2004, 09:16:11 PM »

Good Evening!

This has been a long day for me.  It took me a while to get out of bed, but I managed to post here and get some other stuff done before heading in this afternoon.  The rehearsal went well, and we got through the whole show.  -But it sure was weird playing with both hands again! ;-)  It's always a transition from playing the keyboard part to the piano/conductor's score (and vice versa), but I think I did a pretty good job for my first time.  After the rehearsal I went out with one of the women in the cast for dinner, and it turned out we have a lot of friends in common.  Then came some much needed vegging time - I would have napped, but I doubt I would have gotten back up in time for the show.  Then the show - which went well.  And back to the apartment...

I just had a very nice frozen dinner - Amy's Stuffed Pasta Shells.  (I think I'll be buying them again.)  And then I had a few pieces of chocolate - working my way through the box of Russell Stover I bought last week.  And, soon, I shall have my evening dosage of antibiotics.  -Which is why I had the food.  Ah, well... (ohh, A Little Night Music reference).

DR SWW - Just tell the store manager that you must keep your beard for religious reasons.  -That's how they get around it at the Disney Parks.  ;-)

RE: The Tony Race - I've seen all the possible Best Actress nominees, and, frankly, the one I'd like to see win is Stephanie D'Abruzzo from Avenue Q.  Hopefully, the puppets won't overshadow her performance(s).

As I've stated before, I think Caroline, or Change is more interesting than good.  The "problem" for me is that Caroline does not change.  And she's not supposed to.  Everything changes around her - and it's that juxtaposition that provides the "friction" for the evening.  Caroline is purposely written as a character who does not change - and who is not sympathetic.  I think that aspect will work again Ms. Pinkins more than the bad press she's received (for various reasons).  *It was an interesting article on here in the NY Times - and it was nice to hear her side of things regarding her child support payments, the divorce, the custody battles, the lawyers, etc.  However, the fact that "everyone" is saying that Ms. Pinkins should and will(!) win, may be working for her.

Donna Murphy's major advantage over Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel is that Donna Murphy's role was written as a star turn.  -And she truly gives a "star turn" performance.  I really liked Kristin Chenoweth, and I really like Idina Menzel, but I felt as I was watching Wicked - and in retrospect - that their roles could possibly considered as "featured ensemble".  Yes, they are leads, but the story of Oz is much bigger than both of them - and the physical production is truly much bigger than both of them.  But when Ms. Murphy takes the stage in Wonderful Town, it's most definitely her show.  *I also think that people like giving multiple Tonys to a performer.  -Heck, after the notices she's been receiving, I wouldn't be surprised to see Audra McDonald snaggin another one for A Raisin in the Sun.

-And as for Donna Murphy missing performances... and Kristin Chenoweth missing performances... Hey, people get sick.  People have other obligations.  Blame the bad weather.  Blame bad luck.  Blame their agents who book them for other work.  -And you might as well blame the Equity production contract which makes allowances for ANYONE to miss a show for either personal, professional and/or medical reasons.  Acting on Broadway - or anywhere else - is a job when it comes down to it.  Even "regular jobs" have annual and sick leave.  *And with the standard Production Contract, there's only so many performances you can miss before you start losing money, so...

*I still remember the performance of Jekyll & Hyde where Ms. Eder was sick, but she still went on stage.  BUT - and this is a big BUT - They had Emily Skinner singing the songs on an off-stage mic while Ms. Eder did the blocking!?!?!?!  -Actually, since Ms. Skinner is also known for her "attendance issues", that story is kind of funny in retrospect.

-And, as I think I stated sometime before, Donna Murphy only missed one performance of Passion in the year or so it ran.

And on a personal note - every time I've gone to see a show with Donna Murphy, Audra McDonald, Kristin Chenoweth, or Emily Skinner, they've always been in that night.  So...  -Come to think of it, the only time I saw a standby was Sunset Blvd.  I was hoping to see Elaine Paige, but got Maureen Moore instead.  However, Maureen had me in the palm of her hand as soon as she took the stage.  -And when I went back to see Ms. Paige, Ms. Paige paled in comparison to Ms. Moore.

RE:  "Longtime Companion" - One of my favorite films too!  -And so much "baggage" - for lack of a better word at this hour of night - attached to it.  And no matter how many times I've seen it, that ending just destroys me.  -Actually, "Longtime Companion" and "Sunday in the Park with George" and "Cinema Paradiso" are my most viewed DVDs... and each of them provides a good cathartic cry at the end.   :'(

RE: "American Idol" recap - As I noted last night, the clips they showed were from the rehearsals and not from the live show - which was most evident in Fantasia's clip of "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life" - it was a totally different ending/riff.  My guess is that the showed the clips in the order they rehearsed - and then changed the order of the performances after the rehearsal.

RE: Grits - There are some pretty good grits casserole recipes on epicurious.com (which is Gourmet's and Bon Appetit's website).  I love some really good roasted garlic and cheddar cheese (maybe some asiago cheese too) grits!  -And I like to bake them so they get a little crust on the top!  YUMMERS!!!  And there's also classic New Orleans combo of grits and shrimp (with some tasso ham)!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2004, 09:19:37 PM »

Boy, that was a long post!!

-I guess I am getting better!! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2004, 09:29:11 PM »

MBarnum 52 is way to young-sorry.

I’m not sure if I will have time to post tomorrow, but will definitely try.  I have much to do before we leave Friday morning.  Penny O is still here, along with her friends, one of whom will stay to take care of Bogie and Echo.

Goodnight.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2004, 09:29:55 PM »

-I guess I am getting better!! :)

:) :) :) :) :) and keep doing so!

Tomovoz

« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2004, 09:42:43 PM »

"Cinema Paradiso" is a favourite in this house too Jose.  I think "The Legend of 1900" needs to be as well known. I still can't understand why it was not successful in the USA. Maybe because it was made in English!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2004, 10:20:20 PM »

DR Tomovoz - Did you really like the full-length director's cut too when it finally came out?  -Of course, maybe it was released in it's full three-hour running time in Oz when it first came out, so...  I cried at the "original" ending, and when I saw the full-length version in the theatre the first time I cried even more.  *And it was finally nice to know where that clip came from that was shown in the closing credits.

-I just put on David Daniels' "A Quiet Thing" CD... Hmm...  I like David Daniels, and the countertenor voice does have its appeal to me, and the selection of songs is for voice and guitar... but the opening song, which is Kander and Ebb's "A Quiet Thing"... Hmm...  Having a countertenor sing one of Liza's songs... Hmm...  -It's a very interesting selection of songs - some traditional classical rep (lute song repertoire - Dowland, Purcell, and Bellini (arranged from the piano settings)) along with some more "recent" repertoire including Bernstein's "So Pretty" and "A Simple Song", Arlen's "My Shining Hour", and Alec Wilder's "Blackberry Winter"... Hmm... I may have to give this disc a spin when I'm more awake... Something tells me the curiosity factor will keep me listening to the whole disc tonight if I keep it in the player... and then it will be REALLY late... and I should be in bed already!  -I have a 1:00 matinee tomorrow/today!!!  Hmmm....

Decisions, decisions....

Well... For now, Goodnight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmm.. "My Shining Hour" is kind of disturbing me... Hmmm...

Well, at least David Daniels is looking quite "Woofy" on the cover and inset photos.

:-\
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 10:22:05 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2004, 10:21:35 PM »

It's still Wednesday here so I can still post a question for Dear BK.

Dear BK:  Have you invited your Dear Muse/Editor Margaret to post on this site?  I suspect we all would enjoy her contributions and, I hope, she'd enjoy ours.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2004, 10:28:00 PM »

Another question:  Why is it that when you're running on schedule and/or there's no particular time you need to be at the destination to which you are headed there's never any traffic, but when you're running late and/or you do need to be someplace by a particular time the freeways are clogged solid and when you resort to surface streets as an alternative every fershlugeneh traffic signal turns red as you approach it?  Why is this, Dear BK?  Why?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2004, 10:31:24 PM »

Love the Director's cut of CP Jose. Even managed to get Colin to open his wallet and pay for it! I'm the one that buys the DVDs and the Cds in this house.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2004, 10:50:33 PM »

It's still Wednesday here so I can still post a question for Dear BK.

Dear BK:  Have you invited your Dear Muse/Editor Margaret to post on this site?  I suspect we all would enjoy her contributions and, I hope, she'd enjoy ours.

My dear Margaret is not a computer person.  I don't know that she's ever even used one.  Her wonderful hubby Richard does read the site, that much I know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2004, 10:52:47 PM »

Another question:  Why is it that when you're running on schedule and/or there's no particular time you need to be at the destination to which you are headed there's never any traffic, but when you're running late and/or you do need to be someplace by a particular time the freeways are clogged solid and when you resort to surface streets as an alternative every fershlugeneh traffic signal turns red as you approach it?  Why is this, Dear BK?  Why?

This is known as the law of If You Are Late There Will Be Traffic, If You Are Not Late There Will Be No Traffic.  I feel this is a law that should be repealed, don't you?  It is one stupid law if you ask me, which you did.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2004, 10:53:21 PM »

And one for Mahler.  

I think I might be hungry.  Haven't eaten since one.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2004, 11:12:24 PM »

Go eat!

I also enjoy CP.  And DRJOSE Longtime Companion always does the same thing to me.   I keep thinking I won't cry this time....and I am astounded and bewildered that even after all these years, we haven't really gotten a handle let alone a cure for this plague.

.....but I want to be there....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2004, 11:25:22 PM »

Just finished Desk Set - lots to say in notes, which will be up in thirty minutes.  Stick around

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2004, 11:51:26 PM »

Fell asleep with my clothes on. Just woke up. Didn't know where I was or what was going on... Very confusing.
But now I know where I am and what's going on. Which puts me ahead of half the people in this town. 8)

Panni

« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2004, 11:52:30 PM »

Guess we won't make Page 9 unless there's a huge five minute posting frenzy. C'est la vie.

Panni

« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2004, 11:54:14 PM »

I'm going to brush my teeth and get ready for bed. Will check in before I tuck myself in.

Panni

« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2004, 11:55:16 PM »

Hope you had a great birthday, George!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: May 05, 2004, 11:56:27 PM »

New notes momentarily.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up