Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM  (Read 76126 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM
« on: May 04, 2004, 12:05:20 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've dreamed the impossible dream, you've run where the brave dare not go, you know what I'M talkin' about, so let's get some postin' goin' on, shall we?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 12:01:06 AM by bk »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 12:30:05 AM »

First post!  First post!  Is it really mine??

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 12:31:12 AM »

But shame on me...I posted without reading the notes.  I shall remedy that post-haste.  Or haste-post, I suppose, since I'm doing everything else backwards...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 12:35:29 AM »

Wow, what an interesting topic...
I'll have to give it some thought, though.  It's a question that warrants a clear mind to answer, and at the moment I'm too tired to think about anything clearly.  

Goodnight :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 12:37:02 AM »

Defining "love". How to explain colour to a blind person?
We know when we feel it, know when it goes but can we really explain to someone else. I suspect it is different for each of us.
Despite the hurt that it often can bring - I would not be the person I am without having loved and been loved. We all love the feeling of being loved but you can't ask for it or demand or expect it. It has to just happen. I guess it is altruistic when we love. We may hope for it to be returned but we don't give love in the expectation of something in return. We can't plan to love. Thus the motive behind love must be pure.
Even the "love" expressed in religions is I expect given in the hope of a future life. (Cynical!).
I don't think we can fall in love too easily. That I think would be more akin to infatuation and sexual desire.
It is a pity we use the word "love" so often. Loving a film, a song, a book or certain foods surely give the word a different meaning.
I think I need to check with Fosca and Georgio!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 12:45:46 AM »

Just the type of post I was hoping for, tomovoz.  I think "love" is probably the most misunderstood and abused word in the English language.  As I said in the notes, how can two people fall in LOVE and then not be in love a few weeks later, or a few months later, or a few years later?  I mean, if LOVE means what it's supposed to mean, how can people love someone one minute and not love them the next minute?

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 01:38:43 AM »

Of course love might just mean "never having to say you're sorry".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 03:00:52 AM »

Oh my.  I shall have to ponder this subject.  It is much written about, much talked about....and much used as motivation for stage, film, and television....but what is it?

I think that we as human beings learn about love from our families.  I think that we model ourselves on them for good or ill.

And I think we really fall in the "love" that is written and sung about when another person (outside our family) becomes as important and vital to our existence as we our to ourselves.  And if that feeling is mutual, those are two of the luckiest people in the world....they say.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 05:55:41 AM »

That's about the stupidest thing I ever heard. . .

Quick! What movie is that from?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 06:04:44 AM »

That's about the stupidest thing I ever heard. . .

Quick! What movie is that from?

Quick enough?
One of my favorites - What's Up Doc.

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 06:04:52 AM »

I think that "the greatest thing you will ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return." Thanks to Moulin Rouge. One of the biggest lessons in my  life has been learning to love myself, and then learning to accept that others can love me too.
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

td

• td
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 06:06:38 AM »

"Love" between two people is completely and totally inexplicable, it is not a noun which can be defined by the brain, but by our own ego.  Now, do not think of ego as a slam, for it is the part of us which makes us who we are, just as who we love may help define our lives.
I will say that I think many writers, especially screen writers cheat by having characters say the words, "I love you;" it would be far more interesting to be shown how the characters perceive love, what being in love means to them and to the screenwriter.  Did Shakespeare have Romeo and Juliet say "I love you?"  No, rather he has that incredible balcony scene!  I think that Juliet's belief in love is best expressed earlier in the scene with her mother and the nurse.  When approached with Paris' proposal, Juliet's response is, "I'll look to like, if looking liking move."
But enough of dead white playwrights.
I know "love" when the look in the eyes says more than any word could relate.  The look has an effect on every fiber in the body, not necessarily a tingle, but something which the ego heart recognizes as a truly special feeling.

Is "Te adoro, Anton" the only time that WEST SIDE STORY uses the words, albeit in a foreign language, "I love you?"

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 06:07:24 AM »

Oh my, was that a bit too deep and meaningful? Still looking at the postings and trying to pick up on protocols, expectations etc. Please excuse inadvertant breaches of the above.
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

td

• td
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 06:07:46 AM »

Quick enough?
One of my favorites - What's Up Doc.

Quick enough for me as the film is also one of my favorites.
You deserve a prize, but, alas, I have none to give.  :(

td

• td
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2004, 06:08:34 AM »

Oh my, was that a bit too deep and meaningful? Still looking at the postings and trying to pick up on protocols, expectations etc. Please excuse inadvertant breaches of the above.

I like posts which are fraught with meaning.  

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2004, 06:19:58 AM »

Love.  What a TOD!  So many meanings; so many feelings.

To me, love is feeling that person is a part of you.  Truly a part of you.  Almost a physical part of you, large or small.  And as we know, sometimes parts of you can require amputation.  That would be the definition of falling out of love.

But I have come to know that there is no greater love, perhaps, than when I come home and am changing out of my work duds and and all 60 pounds of little Miss Morgan LeFay Brittany Fairchild (lab/shepherd mix) stands on our bed on her hinds with her front paws on my shoulders (dog-hug) and kisses me to pieces.  That is also love.  And my dear partner is usually grateful that I have kissed him "good evening" first.  

Or when little 2-year old nephew Kyle takes my hand on a walk.  That is also love.  And safety.  For both of us, I think.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2004, 06:21:44 AM »

Sheldon Harnick (The Apple Tree) expressed it well. And I'm not hedging on this excellent TOD ... just pondering.

What makes me love him?
It's not his singing,
I've heard his singing,
It sours the milk
And yet, it's gotten to the point
Where I prefer that kind of milk.

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2004, 06:57:34 AM »

I think today's topic is very interesting, especially the part about people falling out of love so easily.

I think most people only know the giddy feeling when they fall in love.  But they don't realize the effort it takes to make a relationship work.  Or that love isn't just the giddiness.

I also believe that sometimes people change.  For instance a girl getting married at 18 might not realize what she wants out of life.  

I think truly falling in love, means being there for another person, through good times and bad.  But it also means putting your heart on the line.  And I think you know it when you feel it, because you don't ever want to be without that other person in your life.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2004, 07:01:52 AM »

DR Panni: I'm assuming you found the "insert image" icon (since you posted a gif pic).  It's the picture frame one (and you can put your cursor over any icon to see what it is called).

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2004, 07:26:36 AM »

Wow, today's topic is too deep for me to contemplate this early in the morning without coffee.

I do think that often people confuse love with infatuation, and when that infatuation wears out then what do you have...either love or not love.

There, how is that.

I do know that I love Freddy! And I love all you wonderful, wonderful people out there in HHW...or is it infatuation?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2004, 07:33:58 AM »

Well, after 23 years of marriage (a prospect Oliver Barrett IV never had to deal with due to the untimely death of Jenny Cavalleri) I can truly say that love means always having to say you're sorry.

On the other hand, as some wag put it upon the release of said film, "Love means never having to say you're horny."

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2004, 07:45:09 AM »

Actually, Nat "King" Cole discovered "The greatest gift.. is to love and be love in return" back when "Moulon Rouge" was still a film with Jose Ferrer walking on his knees.

For the best definition of "love", see Leonard Sillman's NEW FACES OF 1952... "Love is a Simple Thing".

Last night was the Town Hall concert "Brooklyn to Hollywood".  This featured songs from movies about Brooklyn, written for movies by Brooklyn songwritters, or sung in movies by performers from Brooklyn.  While we really didn't need 4 songs Babs sang, when one of them is "Don't Rain On My Parade" done by Alix Korey that's fine with me.  Other performers ranged from Christine Pedi to Stephen Bogardus to Sharon McKnight.  Only Mark Nadler disappointed.  Calm him down and he would probably be very good, but he was just so manic that he ruined several good songs (note: the audience loved him - mine is a minority opinion).  However the highlight of the evening was the hostess: Tovah Feldshu.  Who thought she could be such a great stand up comic.  Of course her biggest laugh was unintentional (or was it?) when she accidentaly mentioned Betty Condom.  

Tonight: RAISIN IN THE SUN.  Unlike most of the audience though, I am not going because of Sean John P Diddy Puff Daddy Combs.  I am going in spite of him.  My one fear is that knowing Audra's attendance problems she might take the night off (she's missing over a week later this month to sing with the NYY Philharmonic), as she and Phylicia Allen Ayres Rashad are the main reasons I am going (other than the fact that the play itself is a classic).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2004, 07:50:12 AM »

Good Morning!

What a Topic of the Day!

Love is truly one of those things that you truly "feel" when you lose it.  Unfortunately, it can be one of those things that you get so used to that you could end up taking it for granted.  Of course, True Love would never fall into such a trap.  It's us humans that fall into that trap.

For myself, Love is having a deep connection with someone.  Kind of a sixth sense.  The type of relationship where more can be said with just a hug, a raised eyebrow, a wink or a hand in a hand than with any amount of words.  It can be very quiet and intense, or energetic and without bounds.

With my family, it's knowing that they will always be there for me - and that, hopefully, I will be there for them too.  And it's getting past that sense of "familial obligation" - which is much harder said than done.  -Done than said?  -You know what I mean.

With my friends, it's a feeling of happiness knowing that they're a part of my life - and I'm a part of theirs.  Sharing.

With that someone special, well, it's all of the above plus all that intangible stuff that poets and philosophers have been writing about for years. Years!  -And, thankfully, the one true love of my life (so far), is still someone I can comfortable with - even though we may be "out of love" right now.  Well, more accurately, we're just out of the "relationship", but we will always love each other.
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2004, 07:51:21 AM »

"Is "Te adoro, Anton" the only time that WEST SIDE STORY uses the words, albeit in a foreign language, "I love you?"
I must say, that I was rather shocked when I first heard the score to Passion that Sondheim allowed himself to use the word "love" so often.  For years he has produced some of the most moving songs on the subject without ever using the L word.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2004, 07:51:44 AM »

...or rarely.
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2004, 07:52:42 AM »

On the topic of love, I'd use another song as reference: "Love" from ZIEGFELD FOLLIES. That wonderful, dynamic song describes the perplexities of love beautifully, but as a person who has fallen victim to someone falling out of love with me while I was still in love with him, well, I have nothing else to say about it.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2004, 07:56:48 AM »

Good Morning!

-I didn't want to muddle up my "love post" with my own personal stuff this morning, so...

Stomach is definitely not feeling "normal" this morning.  It's not really sour.  It's not really achy.  It's just not feeling "right".  Again, it's probably the meds... ugh.

But what a nice sunny morning it is here in Richmond!

Well, I slept in - again - of course, I didn't really get to bed until around 2:00am, so... I did get eight hours of sleep at least.  And now I must start getting ready to head back up to Arlington.  I want to leave a little earlier than usual so I can take a nice nap before heading into the show tonight.

-Oh, and I also got two e-mails this morning - unfortunately, they both affect my potential summers plans... ah, well...  I had gone from Plan A to Plan B... and Plan A was actually starting to look more attractive again, so...  We shall see.

Off I go!... Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2004, 08:04:53 AM »

I just got back from Amazon.com and saw that Sondheim's BOUNCE is now available. I had no idea it was now in release. Of course, the list price is $19.98! (slightly lower Amazon price but still too high for a single CD). We do pay a premium price for cast albums of unsuccessful shows, don't we?

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2004, 08:09:49 AM »

I've also been reading reviews around the internet this morning that are lamenting the condition of A NIGHT AT THE OPERA in the new Marx Bros. Boxed set from Warners. Supposedly, Warners has used a very dirty and marred print to do the transfer of the gem of this particular collection. How weird when their transfers have usually been so impeccable. I must drag out my old commercial videotape of it and see if it's in terrible shape as well.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2004, 08:25:01 AM »

Hello, dear Family of Choice...

In a few minutes I hit the road again to head north, stopping tonight with DR Jane and her menagerie -- no, I guess Keith is not quite "menagerie" - although in French "menage" means, um, sort of, oh, "household" - so yup, Keith IS part of that menagerie... cripes, Penny, pack yer stuff and MOVE ON!

Okay, so catch y'all when I get back to Seattle. Bye. I'll ponder "love" all the way up. I think it isn't so much something we DO as something we ARE... or something.
PennyO
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up