Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BOOK COLLECTOR  (Read 11725 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BOOK COLLECTOR
« on: September 12, 2010, 12:25:16 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were as long as a book and collected dust, and now it is time for you to post until the collectible cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE BOOK COLLECTOR
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 12:25:51 AM »

And the word of the day is: MAYHAP!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 12:28:46 AM »

And now, as promised, the new Kritzerland release - a wonderful pair of western soundtracks - read on, MacDuff.  You know the drill - it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping paid via paypal.com using our paypal address of kritzerland at adephia dot net.

Kritzerland is proud to present a limited edition soundtrack release – two great scores on one great CD:

The Unforgiven 
Music Composed and Conducted by Dimitri Tiomkin

The Way West 
Music Composed by Bronislau Kaper
Conducted by Andre Previn

The Unforgiven, based on a novel by Alan Le May (The Searchers) was a serious-minded western directed by John Huston, starring Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy, Lillian Gish, and Charles Bickford.  It was a film plagued by problems – the original director, Delbert Mann, was replaced by John Huston, who constantly fought with star Burt Lancaster and his production company, Hecht-Hill-Lancaster.  The film’s female star, Audrey Hepburn broke her back during filming when she fell from her horse, co-star Audie Murphy almost drowned while duck hunting, and director Huston’s mind seemed to be on other things instead of the actual film he was directing. 

But none of those behind-the-scenes dramas really mattered, because at the end of the day The Unforgiven was a handsome film (shot by the great Franz Planer), well directed by Huston, with a riveting story and characters, and wonderfully acted by the large cast.  Like Le May’s The Searchers, The Unforgiven has racism as its theme and certainly was, for its time, a very adult western.  The film’s reviews were mostly positive, and it is only in the intervening years that the public consensus on the film became wildly divergent, with some professing it to the be the worst film Huston ever did (Huston thought so, too, apparently), and a film that doesn’t work at all, to those who admire the film’s direction, acting, and story, and who find the film a splendid western. 

Dimitri Tiomkin was, for many years, the go-to guy for Western scores.  His scores for various classic westerns had a true Americana sound to them, and yet remained unique to Tiomkin and his sound – Duel In The Sun, Red River, High Noon, Gunfight At The O.K. Corral, Rio Bravo, The Alamo and many others.  Tiomkin had an incredible gift for creating memorable main themes and was a pioneer in the main title as song with High Noon (“Do Not Forsake Me, O My Darlin’”), for which Tiomkin not only won the Oscar for Best Score, but for Best Song (over the years he was nominated for an astonishing 17 Academy Awards).  His score for The Unforgiven is classic Tiomkin, with a wonderful, memorable main theme (this time not done as a song, although it later did have lyrics added by Ned Washington), a theme that is haunting, melancholy, and perfect for the film.   The rest of the score is filled with the unique Tiomkin sound – crashing brass, xylophones run amok, beautiful strings, and stirring action music – there’s no way not to know it’s a Tiomkin score from first note to last.  The score was recorded in Rome with the Santa Cecilia Symphony Orchestra, with Tiomkin conducting. 

The Way West was based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by A. B. Guthrie, and is a Western more in the grand tradition; a big, sprawling epic produced by Harold Hecht, with a screenplay by Ben Maddow (who’d also written the script for The Unforgiven) and Mitch Lindemann.   The film is colorful, fun, and compelling, as it follows a wagon train of settlers from Missouri as they make their way to Oregon, and, thanks to cameraman William H. Clothier, it is absolutely stunning to look at.   Andrew McLaglen was a fine director and he gets terrific performances from his large cast, including Kirk Douglas, Robert Mitchum, Richard Widmark, Lola Albright, Sally Field (in her film debut), Stubby Kaye, and two stalwart western character actors, Jack Elam and Harry Carey, Jr. 

The score by Bronislau Kaper has its own Americana sound and is a total delight.  It begins with some narration from the film, which segues into a song (with lyrics by Mack David) sung by The Serendipity Singers.  Then the score proper begins, and it is filled with rousing action music, playful music, and stunningly beautiful music, all in Kaper’s distinctive style and all of which captures the film’s myriad moods and scenes beautifully. Kaper didn’t do that many westerns, but the ones he did do were really interesting and he was a master craftsman, who, like Tiomkin, had an incredible gift for memorable melodies, as you can hear in his wonderful scores for Invitation, Lili, Auntie Mame, the 1962 Mutiny On The Bounty, among many others. 

The Unforgiven was originally released on a United Artists LP, and then as part of a limited edition Film Score Monthly Western CD box set.  The Way West was originally issued as an LP on United Artists, and then as a limited edition on CD by Intrada – both releases sold out instantly, and so it’s nice to be able to make them available to those who missed out, those who didn’t even get a chance to find out about them, and fans of great western scores.  Both scores have been completely remastered for this release.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping. 

CD will ship by the second week of October – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 12:39:26 AM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 01:11:15 AM »

CD has been ordered!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 01:11:26 AM »

And now, to bed.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 02:56:11 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 04:18:13 AM »

You'd think it was Sunday morning at 7:10am or something.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 04:36:38 AM »

Morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 04:41:18 AM »

Great notes today, BK. I have the stock of a mystery book store in my house that I'm holding for a friend while we get it cataloged for selling online. So I have started pricing and assessing the quality of the books (when I find the time, which isn't often). The prices have certainly fluctuated greatly in the past few years. John Grisham, especially his early work, seems to sell well today and I wonder how long that will last.

In my own collection, I have a special printing of a Robert Penn Warren poem, on the occasion of his 75th birthday, that he signed. And a first edition copy of Terry McMillan's "Mama" in great shape that she signed. In fact, when she saw the book, she was surprised to see a first edition in that condition. I had her sign it years after "Waiting to Exhale" had made her famous.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 05:57:52 AM »

I always liked BREAKHEART PASS.

Not a great western, but very entertaining.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 06:16:32 AM »

DR Jose re: their being a seafood restaurant nearby that serves fried clams.  There actually aren't too many seafood restaurants near me right now (there used to be a few).  I don't know that i've ever eaten fried clams around here. I don't even know if they are at all popular in Canada. Now that I think of it I used to eat them every time I went vacationing in the US!

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 06:17:13 AM »

DR Cillaliz did you get to watch Millenium 2 and 3. The 3rd movie came out in French here August 17th. I'm hoping my library gets it soon!

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 06:18:12 AM »

SURVIVOR is starting this WEDNESDAY at 8pm. Followed by the 2hr finale of BIG BROTHER. I wonder how SURVIVOR will do on Wednesdays. At first I didn't like the idea at all.  But I guess it will grow on me.

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 06:19:23 AM »

I'm not sure how warmly to dress today for my niece's soccer tournament. I won't make the same mistake as yesterday. I will wear a t-shirt and layer. Just not sure about the pants/shorts.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 06:36:14 AM »

Good morning, all!

i am awake, listening to Britten choral music, which I will follow with Poulenc's "Gloria," I do believe. I have to tidy the apartment and buckle down Winsocki to a lot of Victor Herbert work. I also have to photocopy the songs for Sara Jean Ford and get them into priority mail tomorrow morning.

First thing, more coffee.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »

Lovely food pictures yesterday from DR JOHNG and DR JOSE.

Maybe DR JOSE will hear Ciribiribin today.....

Loved reading about the books in the notes.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 06:50:41 AM »

DR ELMORE, I liked the ending to your short story about The Girl With Ankle Surgery.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 06:51:39 AM »

Andrea Marcovicci  :P

That's just the way it goes, I am sure she is a nice person, and if we met we would be the best of friends....but....well....  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 06:54:42 AM »

Audience was only at about 3/4 last night....and a bit quieter than the two previous nights....but still lots of laughs and another standing ovation.....

Such a fun play to do.

Yes, DR DRUXY - that is a good line...... Harry comes home to find a bathtub, a toilet, and several stacks of lumber in his driveway. Edith had told him she was going to have the room repapered to make a nursery.....AND she bought the lumber at rival Cooper's Lumber Yard, because it was $7.50 cheaper.

"Don't you understand, Edith, no matter what price I sell it for, I would have given it to you at cost! ....... What am I saying, I would have given it to you for nothing!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 06:56:23 AM »

I have a First/First of ATLAS SHRUGGED.  It is a library copy, but has the dust jacket - price clipped. Best part, I got it for $35 at Half Price Books about 15 years ago.....had a coupon for 30% off a single item....and it had been priced at $50.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 07:01:24 AM »

BK, enjoyed the notes about the book fair and book collecting today.  I always enjoyed the Santa Monica book fair because, as you say, it was never the most heavily attended and one could browse at one's unhurried leisure without getting jostled or craning over other bodies to see what was in a dealer's stall.  I also usually came away with some pretty good deals.  I remember once an Orange County dealer was getting rid of his Weird Tales pulp magazine stock and I was able to pick up several magazines with original Conan stories by Robert E. Howard and Jules DeGrandin tales by Seabury Quinn for around ten bucks a piece.  Many had covers by the great Margaret Brundage.

I also  believe I remember that little hole-in-the-wall bookstore in Reseda you spoke of. 

I'm one of those who likes The Unforgiven, despite its travails.  I also like its score, but it has always seemed strangely disembodied from the music.  I don't know whether it was the sound or the make-up of the orchestra, or that it was recorded in Rome, but the only way I can explain it is: it's sounds like a dubbed soundtrack.  Always sounded oddly disconnected to the movie, not in its dramatic connection but its recorded connection.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 07:19:14 AM »

From yesterday Re: Coco

It is definitely not one of my favorite scores. Most it is painful for me to listen to (almost all of Hepburn's song and the lover's solos) but there are some gems sung by other people than Hepburn that I can listen to more than once. (Fiasco, Gabrielle)

Then 10+ minute sequence that was the Tony Awards shows in my opinion the deficiencies of the book by Lerner. The dialogue is clumsy leading up to the musical number Always Mademoiselle.

The highlight of that number is the fashion show designed by Bennett and the beautiful costumes by Beaton. It was fun trying to pick out Anne Reinking & Suzanne Rogers as two of the models.

I'm not sure why they decided to use movies as a flashback device and one of the actors was actually dubbed.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 07:20:47 AM »

New CD is ordered.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 07:36:08 AM »

Watching THE DESERT SONG again on TCM.....Steve Cochran looking very good in Technicolor, but the close ups of Kathryn Grayson as she's mewling her songs certainly gives credence to Doris Day's opinion that the staff of the Warner Bros. Makeup Dept. were mostly embalmers.

Kerry

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 07:48:36 AM »

Good morning-- on this lovely cool slightly overcast Sunday morning.
I like boat races.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 07:59:22 AM »

And the word of the day is: MAYHAP!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  SOMETHING'S COMING

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
You can dream…or you can do.

FJL

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 08:19:17 AM »

Must catch up on yesterday.  Much to-do yesterday.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up