Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT IS UP WITH URANUS?  (Read 12013 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: WHAT IS UP WITH URANUS?
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2010, 09:57:25 PM »

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary, DR TCB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2010, 09:58:08 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »

Happy Anniversary To DR JolieFemme and DR Pogue!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2010, 10:00:43 PM »

DR elmore - RE: Louisa, KY - That's cool. -And, going with the Topic of the Day, a little spooky too. But in a good way.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »

George, when will you interview for the new job?

Well, first I have to finish my application, then turn it in...the deadline is Friday.  After that, I would assume that they'll contact the interviewees sometime next week.

Continued job vibes!

Thanks, John!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »

George, VIBES YOU ARE CALLED FOR AN INTERVIEW!!!

Thanks, Jane!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:26 PM »

interview vibes for George

Thanks, Vixmom!

George

« Reply #217 on: September 14, 2010, 10:10:09 PM »

Interview vibes for GEORGE!!!

Thanks, Cillaliz!

George

« Reply #218 on: September 14, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: September 14, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »

Well, since everyone else is doing it....

~~~~~INTERVIEW VIBES FOR DR GEORGE!!~~~~~

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #220 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:44 PM »

Well, since everyone else is doing it....

~~~~~INTERVIEW VIBES FOR DR GEORGE!!~~~~~

:)

Thanks, Jose!

George

« Reply #221 on: September 14, 2010, 10:14:21 PM »

And it's back to the darned application process...I'm already getting tired of it. :P

;)

George

« Reply #222 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »

I should've started weeks ago...actually, I should've made the decision to apply earlier, so that I would've had more time to do all of this!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #223 on: September 14, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »

Otherwise...

I LOVED The High Museum of Art!  I ended up spending five hours in there, and wish I could have spent at least one more.

I had gone mainly to check out the Dalí exhibit, but when I got there, I decided to check out the "other stuff" before heading to the special exhibition space.  Well, I ended up basically checking out the whole museum - all four floors of it - over the course of about three and half hours.

What a great collection, and a great building too! It was designed by Renzo Piano, and the galleries on the fourth floor are "lit" via a "perforated" ceiling/roof.  The galleries are bathed in a perfect combination of natural and electrical light.

And the Dalí exhibit... WOW!!  Many of the works in the exhibition had not been on display in the U.S. since the 1950s, so most of them were very new to me.  The exhibit also covered Dalí's public/private life towards the end of his career. All that celebrity!  I'm really glad I got a chance to check it out.
I've done that both times I've been to the High.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #224 on: September 14, 2010, 10:18:54 PM »

And it's back to the darned application process...I'm already getting tired of it. :P

;)

Just filled out two or three applications this evening. And watched Sondheim-written episodes of "Topper." Guess which was more fun.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #225 on: September 14, 2010, 10:20:29 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... I just got back from The Alliance Theatre - the TONY Award winning Alliance Theatre - where I saw a new show called "Twist: An American Musical".  I can basically sum up my "review" and thoughts in two words:

Debbie.

Allen.

Nuff said.

PREEEE-cisely!

Although...

I had some friends in the show - which is how I ended up seeing the show tonight.  Instead of an out and out "review", I'll just repost here what I posted on Twitter earlier:

-I know it's only intermission, but can someone stop Debbie Allen NOW. Please!

-Two lyrics I never want heard sung again: "I can feel my baby comin'!" and "She's sweatin' in her feet."

-And then she had the baby on stage... And then died.

-Even though I got comped, I still want a refund.

-The show took place in New Orleans. The kids sounded like they were in "Newsies". The adults had generic Southern accents. And...

-And when the couple who ran the orphanage sang their big number, they sounded like the Thernadiers in "Les Miz".

-Seriously, making a show appeal to EVERYONE should not mean stealthily steering the material towards cheap laughs & manufactured pathos.

-If I see a bad show in midtown, I usually leave the theatre un-entertained and disappointed. Tonight I left the theatre mad.

And that's 'nuff said for now.
I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have begged for someone, anyone to stop Debbie Allen. Doesn't anybody get it? The woman is not a gifted director/choreographer of musical shows. She's an embarrassment. Worse, she's boring.
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2010, 10:23:51 PM »

;)

Just filled out two or three applications this evening. And watched Sondheim-written episodes of "Topper." Guess which was more fun.

I hear ya. :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2010, 10:30:19 PM »

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have begged for someone, anyone to stop Debbie Allen. Doesn't anybody get it? The woman is not a gifted director/choreographer of musical shows. She's an embarrassment. Worse, she's boring.

What's really bad and unfortunate about her "work" is that if anyone gives it a bad review, then she and her supporters starting claiming, "You just can't identify with it since you're not an African-American".  Even The Washington Post basically gave up giving her Kennedy Center shows less-than-favorable reviews since "no one who would really get the show" would care about it anyway.  Sadly, I believe she's fully aware that she works the whole race and racial identity and pride card, and, worse, she passes it on stealthily to her cast.  There are ways to genuinely make an audience laugh without resorting to the lowest common denominator.  There are also ways to move them without manufacturing pathos.

Tonight's show was formulaic, condescending, insulting, bland and manipulative.  I would always rather walk away from the theatre feeling disappointed and un-entertained rather than mad and pissed off like I was tonight.  -I could even tell that the reps from the theatre who were sitting behind me knew that they could not really do anything to shape the project. For better or for worse, it is what it is.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2010, 10:33:42 PM »

I say this with all due respect, but the fact that anyone as talentless as Debbie Allen can keep working and keep getting shows done speaks to just how bad things are in the world of the show business.  She is tasteless, blunt, and has no eye for choreography.  And yet, on she goes.

John G.

« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »

What's really bad and unfortunate about her "work" is that if anyone gives it a bad review, then she and her supporters starting claiming, "You just can't identify with it since you're not an African-American".  Even The Washington Post basically gave up giving her Kennedy Center shows less-than-favorable reviews since "no one who would really get the show" would care about it anyway.  Sadly, I believe she's fully aware that she works the whole race and racial identity and pride card, and, worse, she passes it on stealthily to her cast.  There are ways to genuinely make an audience laugh without resorting to the lowest common denominator.  There are also ways to move them without manufacturing pathos.

Tonight's show was formulaic, condescending, insulting, bland and manipulative.  I would always rather walk away from the theatre feeling disappointed and un-entertained rather than mad and pissed off like I was tonight.  -I could even tell that the reps from the theatre who were sitting behind me knew that they could not really do anything to shape the project. For better or for worse, it is what it is.
Yes, and "Carrie" was a misunderstood masterpiece. And "Fame" was dancing at its finest. And, well, why can't she learn from her sister?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2010, 10:38:57 PM »

With that, I bid you all good night. And may your dreams be void of Debbie Allen's work.
― Voltaire

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2010, 10:50:08 PM »

Vibes everyone.

Goodnight.

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2010, 10:58:28 PM »

Yes, and "Carrie" was a misunderstood masterpiece. And "Fame" was dancing at its finest. And, well, why can't she learn from her sister?

Umm... Don't get me started on her sister...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2010, 10:58:44 PM »

Anyhoo...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2010, 11:09:46 PM »

Oh, Lord - that site that does comparisons of DVD and Blu-Ray releases is at it again.  They've just done French Can Can and the screen captures manage to make one of the most stunning color transfers I've ever seen into a bloody yellow mess.  This guy does no one a service - in fact, he does transfers like this a complete disservice. 

George

« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2010, 11:29:43 PM »

Well, I hate to do this (no, I REALLY do), but I must go to bed now (and I haven't finished the supplemental questions for my application :-[).  Tomorrow is our annual All Staff Training Day where all the Timberland libraries are closed and all the staff from all the libraries (who don't take vacation) get together for speakers and break-out (training) sessions and a free lunch.  It starts at 8:00 a.m...that's EIGHT IN THE MORNING...and I usually wake up at 8.

So good night, all.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up