Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHERE DID THE TIME GO?  (Read 70156 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHERE DID THE TIME GO?
« on: May 06, 2004, 12:02:18 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've taken time out to read the notes (and I hope time was appreciative of the date - where did you take time?  Dinner?  A show?), and now you must take the time to post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 12:01:57 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:WHERE DID THE TIME GO?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 12:20:41 AM »

Here's to George and his Deux Deus.
That doesn't sound right, does it?   :-\

Good enough for me!  Thanks...and thank you Panni, also!

Well, my birthday dinner at Applebee's was very good, and we had very good service...and very little time in between each time that we saw our server (unlike lunch).  I had the chicken fried steak (I almost had the chicken fried chicken, but I stuck with the steak instead ;)).  Anyway, it was quite good, as always.  I had a side salad instead of the vegetables that come with the meal (for only $1.99 more, and since I wasn't paying, I didn't care), and the garlic mashed potatoes.  I love their mashed potatoes.  They have bits of the skin still mixed in and when you pour some extra country gravy over them, mmmmm!! ;D

For dessert, we all had the Triple Chocolate Meltdown (except my niece, who had the chimi-cheesecake).  Very good, but with as much as I ate for the meal, then I actually had the free sundae because of my birthday THEN the Triple Chocolate Meltdown...well, let’s just say that I really overdid it.  But it was worth it!  

So again, thanks for all the well-wishes.  I know it’s not unique...everyone here gets them!  That's why we all love it here!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 12:21:14 AM »

The President of the WGA must be a HHW lurker. Got an email bringing the membership up to date on the frenzied (and so far unproductive) contract negotiations -- in which he uses the phrase "we're willing to negotiate until the cows come home."
The cows better not be carrying picket signs is all I can say.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 12:29:44 AM »

As for Hepburn and Spencer films (in alphabetical order):

The African Queen
Desk Set
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
The Lion in Winter
On Golden Pond
The Philadelphia Story
The Rainmaker
Rooster Cogburn
Stage Door
Summertime
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 12:33:15 AM »

Suddenly I'm wide awake.
Tracy-Hepburn - I think ADAM'S RIB is my favorite of their films together. And although the movie has not aged well, they were very touching in GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER.
Tracy alone - he did so many great films - IMHO one of the best screen actors ever. BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK is certainly up there. CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS. I'll have to think about others. It's hard to pick.
Hepburn - I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan - I find her too mannered. I think her best performance was in LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT. Liked her in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. Will think of others later.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 12:44:36 AM »

I simply adore DESK SET....lovely performances all around starting with Hepburn and Tracy of course....but continuing on down through Joan Blondell, Sue Randall, Dina Merrill, Neva Patterson, and especially Gig Young who is one of my favorite actors.

If he had played ALL of those roles opposite Rock and Doris, then it would have been a contest.

His role as Mike in DESK SET is so perfectly written and played.  

And all those funny lines....."Yes, there's something about the way you wear that pencil in your hair that spells money...."  
After Mike finally asks Bunny (Kathryn) to the dance she says:  "Oh, I'd better write that down...."  And he replies:  "Yes, you'd better...."
When Tracy goes into his drunk routine back at Bunny's apartment....
When Bunny says:  "It has been my experience when a car circles slowly around the block, he is merely looking for a place to park...."

LOL....if any DR hasn't seen this movie...run don't walk.

Together Tracy & Hepburn:  Desk Set (in case you haven't guessed) and Adam's Rib.

Apart....it's early but most have been mentioned....as DRPANNI wrote:

Tracy:  Bad Day at Black Rock with more great supporting performances including Anne Francis & John Ericson as brother and sister!
Judgment at Nuremburg, The Mountain, A Guy Named Joe.

Hepburn:  Summertime, Suddenly Last Summer, Stage Door.

I will stop at three each to leave some for the other DR's.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 12:48:48 AM »

I love this movie.....extensively rewritten from the stage original that starred Shirley Booth!   8)

Panni

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 12:49:16 AM »

The previous posts (yesterday) about LONGTIME COMPANION made me think of generational differences in film tastes. The lovely daughter has pretty good taste in films, but of course there are movies she likes that do not interest me at all, and movies I like that she's never heard of (but will eventually see, I hope). So... a couple of years ago when I was still living in Boulder, I brought her with me to the Emmy Awards (Showtime paid for the flight, hotel, etc - so it was a huge treat for her). Showtime arranged a dinner for their nominees and I saw that we were sitting with Bruce Davison. Rachel was thrilled. "LONGTIME COMPANION!" I said to her. "No. X-MEN!" she said to me. Oh well.
Bruce turned out to be quite acerbic and hilarious. He and Rachel discussed X-MEN at length. She was pleased. (A funny sidebar - What I totally spaced on until days later was that he had been in something I wrote which was so badly directed that I rarely put it on my resume and had totally wiped it out of my head. I later looked it up on his resume and it's listed right next to LONGTIME COMPANION. Go figure.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 07:34:37 AM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 12:50:20 AM »

LOL.....and of course I first saw him in WILLARD!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 12:51:07 AM »

Mr BK you must give us the time of your interview today so that we can listen online at www.wpmd.org

Panni

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 12:52:38 AM »

I'm going to do some reading. Good night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 12:54:22 AM »

I'm told the interview is at five o'clock PST>

Panni

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 12:54:38 AM »

And whatever happened to Willard? Perhaps he retired in a wall in a little house in Studio City...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 12:56:28 AM »

No he was remade last year.  Unfortunately.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004, 12:56:42 AM »

Thanks BK we will be listening!

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2004, 12:59:57 AM »

"Summertime" if my favourite Kate Hepburn movie with "African Queen" right up there too. Favourite Spencer Tracy film would be "Inherit The Wind". I enjoyed his performance in "It's a Mad Mad World" which I watched last weekend.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 01:00:34 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004, 02:49:16 AM »

Tracey and Hepburn are like toast and jam...can't be beaten! Only wish I had the opportunity to meet these two icons in person.
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 04:26:56 AM »

I think we need to make that "jelly" for these guys Beekay!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 04:27:54 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2004, 05:43:42 AM »

Good morning, all!  I had a wonderful evening with a retired press agent friend who invited me to the dress of BYE BYE BIRDIE at Encores!  The production and cast, especially Karen Ziemba, are fantastic, and I hope the show excites some producer enough to transfer it.   After the show, dinner at Joe Allen's, and I got home around 12:30.  This morning my allergies are having a good time walking over me, and I need some Tylenol; I don't find the Claritin doing much at all.

Dear Friend BK, I tried to email you yesterday and all three attempts were returned as undeliverable.  Has anyone else reported this?

Okay, TOD:  I am not much of a Hepburn fan; like other "stars" whose status I question, I don't get it; I don't see what I'm missing that others claim to see in the persona or the performance.  I prefer Audrey to Katharine.  That said, there are films I've  enjoyed:

HEPBURN
The Philadelphia Story
The African Queen
The Lion in Winter

TRACY
Inherit the Wind
It's A Mad, Mad World
Father of the Bride

T&H
Adam's Rib

I've never seen WOMAN OF THE YEAR, and I think GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER is truly terrible; it's one of the few times I've sat in the theatre and wished the projector would break.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2004, 06:12:24 AM »

BRINGING UP BABY
SYLVIA SCARLET
THE LION IN WINTER
are my top three Kates.

JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBURG
BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK
4 X MAD WORLD
are my top three Spencers.

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER
ADAM'S RIB
WOMAN OF THE YEAR
are my top three together.
I know that the first one has not aged well, but, their total devotion to each other is evident in every frame that they share.  I'm also really fond of Spencer's reaction to "Boysenberry."
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 06:12:47 AM »

DR Elmore, in the Playbill On-Line article about Encores Bye Bye Birdie, they say a production is planned for this coming season. One that has nothing to do w/the Encores staging so I don't know if Karen Ziemba will be in it, or if it will even happen but that's the scoop according to POL.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 06:21:50 AM »

I loved Katharine Hepburn in The Rainmaker and Bringing Up Baby, and I would consider her performance in Suddenly Last Summer a guilty pleasure. Spencer Tracy was superb in Father of the Bride, Judgment at Nuremburg, and The Last Hurrah. For Tracy and Hepburn together, I'd choose Pat and Mike. (Adam's Rib and Woman of the Year got a little too long-winded for me.) Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? Yes, truly terrible, IMADREHO (in my and DR Elmore's humble opinions).

William E. Lurie

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2004, 06:26:32 AM »

A major production of BIRDIE has been announced for DC sometime next season.  Nobody will say if this is the Encores! production or not, but rumor has it that this transfer is one of the reasons Jerry Zaks replaced Kathleen Marshall as director of the Encores! version.  As for Karen, she'll be busy until sometime in July playing Adelaide in Papermill's GUYS AND DOLLS.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2004, 06:43:29 AM »

I've been reduced to lurking for the past few days.  There's either been constant interuptions at work as I was attempting to post or my mind was muddled when I did have the time to myself.  Plus I was kind of thrown by the Love topic of the other day.  My love life of late has been non-descript and reading everyone's posts just drove that fact home.  And I hate it when facts are driven home 'cause I usually have to pay for the cab fare.  Anyway...

I do love Hepburn and Tracy.  My favorite film of theirs is Pat and Mike.  The writing is crisp and witty, Cukor's direction is light and breezy, and Hepburn and Tracy never had a better on-screen relationship.  (It's also fun to see the sports stars of the period like Babe Didrickson and Don Budge.)  

I love Hepburn singularly in Summertime.  I think it's one of her least flamboyant perfomances and thus her most touching.  My favorite Spencer Tracy movie is The Old Man and the Sea, with Captains Courageous a close second.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 07:19:03 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2004, 07:10:47 AM »

Favorite Hepburn: STAGE DOOR

Favorite Tracey: Toss up between DANTE'S INFERNO and IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD.

Together: GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER

I like Tracey a lot, but never have been crazy about Hepburn.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 07:13:32 AM by MBarnum »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2004, 07:35:22 AM »

Good Morning!

<cough, cough>

Well... After finally getting to bed around ??:00, I did manage to get a pretty good night's sleep.  However, I was woken up by my cell phone ringing.  However, it was a follow up phone call from one of my docs, so that was worth the "wake up call".  -And I needed to get out of bed anyway.

<cough, cough>

-And, yes, I'm coughing this morning.  I'm not sure exactly what's causing it.  I don't feel like my acid reflux is coming back, so I'm thinking that maybe I've caught a slight cold and/or my allergies are kicking in.  I'm going to place another call to my other doc to see what she suggests I take.  It's not uncomfortable, just annoying.

OK - that's enough of my own travails for this morning...

As for the topic of the day...  Ditto.  I remember when AMC used various scenes from "Desk Set" to demonstrate the differences between "pan and scan" and "widescreen".  -There were certain scenes where a major character was left out of the picture - literally!  You could hear their voice, but not see them.  Very informative and educational - and, as you can tell, it stuck with me.

OK - I need to get the rest of my cobwebs cleared out before heading in for the matinee.

Laters...

<cough>

Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2004, 07:39:09 AM »

Jose - Good health vibes your way.  Cough!

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2004, 07:42:50 AM »

Jose, you have been sick for way too long! You need some extra strong good health vibes!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2004, 08:30:55 AM »

DRs Panni and MBarnum - Thanks for the Extra Good Health Vibes!

Actually, after a nice, long, hot shower my sinuses seem much clearer.  Guess I just needed to wake up. ;)

But, trust me, after what I went through two weeks ago, a little cough is nothing compared to what I went through two weeks ago.  -And least the sinus drainage (sorry to be so graphic) means my body is actually working correctly so... -Always a sunny side...

OK - Time to head to the Metro...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2004, 08:32:18 AM »

Hey, before I go... It's already 11:32am on the East Coast.... and we're not even on Page 2 yet?!?!?

But....
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up