Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BOOK SOUP  (Read 8998 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BOOK SOUP
« on: October 14, 2010, 12:26:15 AM »

Well, you're read the notes, the notes were soup, and now it is time for you to post until the soupy cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: BOOK SOUP
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 12:27:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: BOUSTROPHEDON!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:39:08 AM »

Here is actual photographic evidence of the Book Soup signing.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:14:07 AM »

Morning all.

The system was down for a while around 5am.

That is all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 04:22:33 AM »

Good morning, all! The alarm went off at 6am, and I reluctantly got out of bed. I've got a lot today on my plate, some good and some I'd rather postpone for a while. The most tiresome objecct is another day of the McGlinnventory. We are seeing carpet and cartons are being tossed daily, so I know er're making progress.

When I get home today, I've got some tidying up here and probably a nap, if I don't catch a short one at Toyland today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 04:42:23 AM »

Work vibes for DR ELMORE.

Movie and discussion vibes for DR EDISAURUS.

Looks like EXTRA chairs were set up for the reading for MR BK.  Nice photo. That shirt looks familiar.

Nice photos of Little Ricky.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 04:43:14 AM »

Today is a work day.

Last night I started burning a DVD - but of course sometime during the night, there was a Windows update that restarted my computer and interrupted the burning.....grrrrrrrrrrrr

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 05:23:55 AM »

Off to work.  Oh well.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 05:55:08 AM »

Congrats on the successful signing.

Hope I do half as well as you on Sunday at Mystery & Imagination in Glendale.
You can dream…or you can do.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 05:55:14 AM »

Congrats on another successful book signing, bk!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 05:55:46 AM »

I did Vampire Diary revisions in my room last night. Technology is wonderful...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 05:56:12 AM »

Now, off to the screening and the panel. Thanks for all the vibes, and pray for Rosemary's Baby!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 05:56:26 AM »

I'm doing an interview with Skip E. Lowe today, then dinner with my story editor from Concorde, Frances Doel

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 05:59:57 AM »

TOD:

There were 2-3 used bookstores I used to frequent in Seattle back in the 1950s, but I can't recall their names.

One of them was in the Farmer's Market, and it was destroyed in a fire.

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 06:10:41 AM »

Good morning.  Those are all the words I've formed yet this early.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 06:23:14 AM »

TOD:

My first favorite book store was the now defunct Nook of Knowledge next to the Cherry Hill Mall.  Though it was part of a chain, this store had the look of an older establishment with wood shelves, planked flooring, large potted plants everywhere, dim lighting and a store cat which I think was named Kelly.  Nook of Knowledge always seemed to have a wide variety of books that were in my interests.  It was also the first book store that I frequented that carried magazines and comics.

I also came to like a chain that was local to the Philly area, Encore Books.  It was the first discount book store I ever came across.  They are also gone now.

First book I can recall buying was probably one of the Peanuts strip reprint paperbacks.  First all-text book was probably the novelization of THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 06:49:26 AM »

More TOD:

I've always liked browsing at The Strand in NYC but I never like buying--I think their prices are outrageous.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 06:59:58 AM »

When I was little, my dad discovered an old man who ran a used book store out of his house somewhere in downtown Louisville -- or what at least seemed like downtown Louisville, to me at the time. His living room, dining room and everything but one bedroom and kitchen were lined with book shelves and books. And we would spend hours pouring through for treasures.

One of the earliest volumes I remember getting -- and still have -- was a Peter Arno cartoon collection called "You're Sitting on My Eyelashes," which made me a New Yorker fan long before I ever saw the magazine.

I also remember finding a copy of Frank Capra's autobiography, "The Name Above the Title."

The place never had a name for me. We always referred to it as "the old man's." Somehow I feel I will end up like him one of these days, what with my overwhelming number of book shelves (eight in the room in which I sit, three in the garage) and even greater number of books (lining the halls, stacked under end tables). I guess I need to follow DR Elmore's lead and pack some of it off. But who has the time.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 07:00:01 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It's a lot cooler here, but sunny and clear - a gorgeous fall day.  Richard and I are going this afternoon to see The Social Network.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 07:07:39 AM »

Talk vibes to Edisaurus!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 07:31:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: BOUSTROPHEDON!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in.

And The Song Of The Day Is:  TURN! TURN! TURN!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 07:37:08 AM »

TOD:

I had three bookstores I used to frequent in my early book-collecting days.  They were all on Main Street in downtown Cincinnati, within a block of each other.  One was actually an antique store, NEVILLE'S ANTIQUES, which always had a nice selection of books.  Mr. and Mrs. Neville, an elderly couple, ran it and were delightful folk.

Right next to it was OHIO BOOKSTORE, the only one of the three that still exists.  It still has five floors of books, and is run by the same two guys who were there when I going to it in my teens.  One was an assistant manager who eventually bought the owner out and now owns the store.  The other was a helper who wasn't much older than me at the time.  It was an amazing bookstore...besides books, they sold magazines, comics, and old records...lots of 78's, of which I bought my share.  They also had, and still have, a bindery in the basement.  I still stop into the store every couple of months and check out the stock.

The last store, a block up the street, was Bertrand Smith's ACRES OF BOOKS.  Again, a store that had about four or five floors of books, all used.   And, along with the others, it was here I started my collection which now runs to five or six thousand books.  Years later, imagine my surprise to find a Bertrand Smith's Acres of Books in Long Beach, California.  Apparently, Bert had sold the original Acres in Cincy to someone else and moved out to Long Beach where he started a similar used bookstore.  It was an equally great and messy store, chock full of hidden delights.  I think it finally bit the dust a few years ago...but it was a terrific store.

The first book I bought myself was probably either a Hardy boys mystery or a Tarzan book.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 07:47:10 AM »

I am assuming therefore that anything over 16 at BK's PDX appearance will be satisfactory.  ;)  (We should do a lot better than that).

BK himself can spend hours whiling away the time at the largest bookstore in the United States, Powell's, when he's in Portland.  I think perhaps I took him there when he was here for the Bacharach show and his book reading, but it's always fun to just walk around the cavernous building and "shelf shop."  Portland is a haven for used book stores.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 07:50:27 AM »

And As Far As BK's Pipe Challenge

PASS THAT PEACE PIPE

Like The

Choctaws,Chickasaws,Chattahoochees,Chippewas,Chickamecks,Cherokees,
Chapultepecs,Choktohs,Changos,Chattanoogas,Checkarohs

Do-o-o-o

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 07:59:42 AM »

And As Far As BK's Pipe Challenge

PASS THAT PEACE PIPE

Like The

Choctaws,Chickasaws,Chattahoochees,Chippewas,Chickamecks,Cherokees,
Chapultepecs,Choktohs,Changos,Chattanoogas,Checkarohs

Do-o-o-o

LOVE LOVE LOVE those lyrics!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 08:02:02 AM »

It's Thursday in Oakland CA.

It's my last workday for this week (next week I work five WHOLE days...UGH!).

Should be another very warm day for this part of CA.

Fog is just off the coast and steadily inching closer to shore for a cooling embrace.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 08:15:02 AM »

TOD:

As a pre-teen my favorite bookstore was the Central Point Public Library (Central Point had a population of just under 10,000 then). It was a small library but it is where I first discovered books on celebrities. I borrowed bios on Judy Garland and Jack Benny when I was in the 5th grade

As a teenager I discovered a wonderful bookstore in downtown Medford. I don't recall the name of the store but I would always pick up the newest edition of the WHATEVER BECAME OF...books, along with various other books related to vintage films.

A few blocks over and around the corner was a little used bookstore. My friend Dave and I would hunt down interesting vintage books there. Mostly we would just window shop, but on occassion I would actually buy something. I still have two of the books I bought from there...one is a mystery novel called THE CLUTCHING HAND and it is from around 1918 or so, the other book is a science fiction hardback titled THE BIG EYE from 1961, I think.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 08:16:14 AM »

Good morning, all!

Congrats on a successful book signing event, bk!

TOD:
Hmm... I was more of a library person than a bookstore one (Many a glorious hour spent at the NYPL's Ft. Washington, Inwood, and Mid-Manhattan branches), but I regularly haunted Chelsea Books & Records and Academy Books & Records back in the day (more for records than books), and I was known to pop in to the downtown Strand Annex once in a while as well. Browsing through dusty shelves in a cool dark room on a hot summer day... heaven, I tell you. The search was always more important than the finds.

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 08:18:11 AM »

Now my favorite bookstores are the used books store THE BOOK BIN which is a large 2 story shop in downtown Salem. Actually the carry both used and some new books. I have found many a grand treat there.

And as JMK mentioned, there is the huge POWELL'S BOOKS in downtown Portland...a whole city block and 3 or 4 stories of used, and some new, books. I go there at least a few times a year.

As I have mentioned before, in Oregon bookstores are as plentiful as coffee shops!

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 08:21:37 AM »

There is another very nice used bookstore, which recently moved from downtown Salem to south Salem (I think). It was called THE TEA PARTY, but as you can imagine they ended up changing the name recently.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up