Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BOOK SOUP  (Read 8996 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: BOOK SOUP
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »

Talk vibes for Edisaurus!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 08:32:32 AM »

Page two book dance!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 08:33:06 AM »

Congrats on the successful reading/signing, bk.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 08:34:33 AM »

I remember the Ohio Bookstore fondly from the three months I lived in Cincinnati. It took a chunk of my weekly paycheck. Probably still would.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 08:37:05 AM »

Thanks for all the get-well vibes, folks. They certainly helped. My illness or whatever it was has swung in the other direction. I now have plenty of energy. And since I slept most of the day Tuesday when I could, I couldn't sleep at all last night. Worked on an overdue article until 2 a.m. And I had nothing with caffeine in it. Now I feel like a tightly coiled spring. Ugh. Have no idea what schedule my body is on.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 08:47:23 AM »

Like DR ELAN, I was more of a liibrary person as a tyke.  I didn't start buying books until my late teens, and then mostly at the drugstore - sometimes people would give me books, but not ones that I was interested in.

My favorite bookstore now is of course The World of Wisdom.  I also like Half Price Books.  For awhile there was a huge book/cd/video store chain....I forget the name of it.  Mostly I order new books from Amazon because it's easier and there is no BIG bookstore around.  I also don't have anyone to go bookshopping with since my sister moved to Seattle - so I don't go much.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2010, 09:13:32 AM »

TOD - My first real bookstore memory is a place in downtown Dearborn, Michigan.  My mother and I would go to Jacobson's, our favorite department store, and then across Michigan Ave. to an old-fashioned soda shop with an adjacent paperback store.  I loved browsing there and remember buying the ninety-five-cent copy of Gone with the Wind that eventually got me in trouble with the proctors of my SAT exam.  I raced through each section of the test so I could read and she told me I should be spending that time reviewing my answers.

Now, I like the big chain stores and an "independent" in Dayton called Books & Co.  Also, Half-Price Books and the site of our annual AAUW used book sale, where I can go any Tuesday morning under the pretense of helping.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 09:19:53 AM »

Samuel Foote - who was mentioned yesterday....is most interesting.

Mr Ian Kelly who brought him up in an interview with Mr Peter Filichia (I think DR FJL linked it) - wrote two very good books....CASANOVA and BEAU BRUMMEL.....the latter was one of my favorite books of a couple of years ago.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »

No, Artie the wheelchair guy from GLEE is NOT the actor I am annoyed by - although it turns out the actor first auditioned for Artie.....they say.

There is also some talk that Mark Salling who plays Puck is off the show.....but who knows for sure.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 09:25:20 AM »

Most recent reports are that Puck will be returning to GLEE - but he is not in the Rocky Horror Show episode scheduled for October 26....so we shall see.  With a cast that large, I guess everybody can't be on every week.....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!

The McGlinnventory went very well today and we accomplished much. Next week our paralegal is in Maine on vacation and I am in the recording studio, so we reconvene on Oct 26. It's almost time for my Thanksgiving trip!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2010, 09:56:26 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - didn't get to sleep until one-thirty, but at least I got a full eight hours.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2010, 10:23:36 AM »

More TOD:

I forgot about two long-loved bookstores located on South Street in Philly.  The Book Trader is a wonderful used-book store with high shelves crammed with books, magazines, lithographs and old LPs and CDs.  The theater section of books is huge!  And all prices are very reasonable.  It's seldom that I go in to browse and not come out with something. (I keep thinking that the store is on South Street, but they moved a few years ago to 2nd Street.)

And then there is Garland of Letters, a new-age book store that is lovely to just casually browse through the aisles as you relax and listen to the new-age music and sniff the new-age air. The front entrance is guarded by an elephant (who has been witness to many a late night sexual escapade withing that foyer...)

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »

A Bridge Too Far will be sold out within the next hour - one of my dealers just upped his order so we're just about done.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »

I forgot to mention that I had a visit to my GP yesterday.  I thought it was just to go over my bloodwork but it turned out to be time for a full-out physical.  I'm glad I wore nice underwear.  But the results was very good--no signs of any skin abnormalities, reflexes good, no hernia, prostate was, er--there and ok.  So coupled with the excellent numbers from my bloodwork (with the sole exception of a Vitamin D deficiency), I'm not doing too bad...

(Though I'm suspect of the Vitamin D thing--it seems that every one I know who has had bloodwork done has failed this test.  I think it's a vast conspiracy between the vitamin makers and the medical profession.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm just waiting for the rain to start back up again.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2010, 10:41:53 AM »

And since I somehow found myself up and wide awake at 8:00am this morning, I went ahead and headed out for a couple of hours to take care of some errands (before the rain starts up).

And now its time to catch up.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2010, 10:45:27 AM »

Good news, DR Dan!

...(Though I'm suspect of the Vitamin D thing--it seems that every one I know who has had bloodwork done has failed this test.  I think it's a vast conspiracy between the vitamin makers and the medical profession.)

I must say that my right hip feels much better since our GP put me on a massive dose of Vitamin D.  Well, it did feel better until I was doing some floor exercises the other day and rolled to my right side without taking the lip gloss out of my pocket.  Now I have a bruised hip...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2010, 10:48:13 AM »

Waiting to do the telephonic interview.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2010, 10:49:09 AM »

Today is a work day.

Last night I started burning a DVD - but of course sometime during the night, there was a Windows update that restarted my computer and interrupted the burning.....grrrrrrrrrrrr

That happened to me a couple of days ago when I was downloading some .avi files.  I had to redownload everything...almost 2 GBs worth. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2010, 10:51:13 AM »

DR Ginny - Is your lip gloss OK? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2010, 10:52:29 AM »

Here is actual photographic evidence of the Book Soup signing.

Congrats on the successful reading/signing, BK! 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »

bk - Congrats on the book-signing!

*And I think you should go to that "gal's" book-signing... But just sit there reading your book the whole time. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »

There is also some talk that Mark Salling who plays Puck is off the show.....but who knows for sure.

:o I don't keep up with every bit of GLEE info, but I hadn't heard about this at all!  I wonder what's happening.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2010, 11:00:47 AM »

Yes.

George

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 11:00:55 AM »

I forgot to mention that I had a visit to my GP yesterday.  I thought it was just to go over my bloodwork but it turned out to be time for a full-out physical.  I'm glad I wore nice underwear.  But the results was very good--no signs of any skin abnormalities, reflexes good, no hernia, prostate was, er--there and ok.  So coupled with the excellent numbers from my bloodwork (with the sole exception of a Vitamin D deficiency), I'm not doing too bad...

Great news, Dan! 

George

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »

bk - Congrats on the book-signing!

*And I think you should go to that "gal's" book-signing... But just sit there reading your book the whole time. ;)

That would be funny! :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 11:01:30 AM »

DR GEORGE - as it turns out, nothing to keep up with....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2010, 11:02:07 AM »

Lovely fall day here today, the leaves are turning to nice colors, and only two consultations, so it's been light....and the work day is half over!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 11:12:03 AM »

Oh...

Apparently my landlord can't tell the difference between ConEd requesting access to the basement to read the meters and turning someone's power off.  At least I finally met the rest of the tenants in the building this morning in the foyer. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up