Archives > Archive 1

BK PAN

(1/31) > >>

bk:
Well, you've read the notes, you won't grow up, you won't go to school, so you may as well just hunker down and post until the cows come home.  So, if BK stays in bed today does that make him a bed Pan?

Tomovoz:
Guess you need to be non-north American to be annoyed by the fact that the only child in the movie with an American accent is Peter Pan. It jars. I can not cope with the Mary Martin production of Peter Pan at all. Love the only bit (Tony Awards) I have seen of the Duncan version and like the Rigby version. The Spielberg take is just too too much! Maybe it's all because I grew up with the Disney version. I know Peter (Bobby) had an American accent in that but so did the other children. To me it is like giving Christopher Robin an American accent or Tom Sawyer a British one.
As mentioned a few times over the past years, my favourite PP performance was by Maggie Smith.

Panni:
Up at 3:30 AM. Creatures romping around outside the windows. It would be sooooo lovely to get a night's sleep once in a while. Oh well.
The upside is that now I've caught up with the posts, read the notes. I'd do some writing or book reading -- but my eyes still think I'm asleep. Perhaps I'll give sleeping another shot. Or invite the creatures in for tea and crumptets. Darn - all out of crumpets! Scrub that plan.

elmore3003:
Good morning, all!  Where were all the usual suspects at Chat last night?  DRs Noel, Robin, Laura and Emily, with the late addition of our host BK, seemed to be it.  ROBIN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

I vaguely recall A WRINKLE IN TIME, but since I have no memory of anything about it, it clearly left no impression, so I didn't care about the broadcast last night.  I remember reading THE WIZARD OF OZ long before seeing the film, and being so enchanted with it that I reread it several times.  I also never liked the Narnia series; it's dubious charms escaped me.

TOD:  my first fairy tale/fantasy memories are the Disney films, SNOW WHITE, (shwing around 1950-51?), ALICE IN WONDERLAND, CINDERELLA, and PETER PAN, and my first books were Little Golden Books of the films.  I recall a short chunky book of CINDERELLA that I loved, with text on one side and a black & white drawing on the other.  1954 was the PETER PAN broadcast with Mary Martin, and I've always preferred that to Duncan's and Rigby's versions, not that the ladies didn't have good moments, but that Jerome Robbins' concept was very special (the Indian dances based on children's games for example) and no later director has come up to Robbins' level.  I'd like to see the play performed, once, with a few songs, the mermaids, and more James M. Barrie.

I was also fond of the 1954 animated HANSEL AND GRETEL, the soundtrack of which drove my mother to major despair; I remember it played a double bill with a Ma & Pa Kettle movie, which will attract the attention here of DR MBarnum, but I've no memory of the Kettles now, except for THE EGG AND I, both book and film.

Dan-in-Toronto:
H A P P I E S T   O F   B I R T H D A Y S   D R   R O B I N ! ! ! ! ! !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version