Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BK PAN  (Read 69089 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:BK PAN
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2004, 08:24:23 AM »

And for the ToD,

Rumpelstiltskin was (and remains) my favorite fairy tale.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2004, 08:29:58 AM »

I was surfing through the channels this weekend and I came to one of those
Access Entertainment or Hollywood Extra shows that seem to be everywhere these days.  They were interviewing Brad Pitt as part of his press junket for TROY.  I could not believe the questions they were asking him.  Boxers or briefs?  Pajamas or birthday suit?  What kind of stupid questions are these to be asking an artist?  Granted Mr. Pitt will never be confused with Dustin Hoffman, or Jeremy Irons, or even Nick Cage, but could we not try and pretend that people go to his movies because of what he brings to the screen as an actor, rather than because some people look at him like some kind of beefcake?  I know these kinds of interviews go on all the time, and I am sure that I am not telling anyone anything new about the state of our society, but I honestly just sat there stunned that this crap was being shown on national television.  <END OF RANT>
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2004, 08:45:25 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,50%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY[/move][move=right,scroll,6,transparent,50%]DR ROBIN!     [/move]

I was surfing through the channels this weekend and I came to one of those
Access Entertainment or Hollywood Extra shows that seem to be everywhere these days.  They were interviewing Brad Pitt as part of his press junket for TROY.  I could not believe the questions they were asking him.  Boxers or briefs?  Pajamas or birthday suit?  What kind of stupid questions are these to be asking an artist?  Granted Mr. Pitt will never be confused with Dustin Hoffman, or Jeremy Irons, or even Nick Cage, but could we not try and pretend that people go to his movies because of what he brings to the screen as an actor, rather than because some people look at him like some kind of beefcake?  I know these kinds of interviews go on all the time, and I am sure that I am not telling anyone anything new about the state of our society, but I honestly just sat there stunned that this crap was being shown on national television.  <END OF RANT>

Well, the thing is, I think Brad Pitt invites these kinds of questions, himself.  If he wants to be taken seriously as an actor and not be asked what kind of underwear he sports, why does he do things like pose half naked in Vanity Fair without the least bit of irony?  I'm not saying that an actor can't or shouldn't be sexy, but they shouldn't be surprised that they are regarded as himbos/bimbos when they primarily present themselves as such.

Besides, I think the world is a much better place now that I know that Brad Pitt sleeps in the nude.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2004, 08:50:33 AM »

TCB: The "How important..." questions annoy me.  Like asking the paramedics: "How important is it for people to have fences around their pools?" Or asking a doctor: "How important is it for people to watch their cholesterol?" That just wastes air time, as far as I'm concerned.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2004, 08:54:17 AM »

I am up but not yet at 'em.

Robin

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2004, 08:55:12 AM »

Thank you, everyone, for the Birthday greetings!

I've taken the day off in celebration, and have been watching TCM's mini-Miss Marple marathon.  I share my Birthday with Margaret Rutherford, it seems.  

Later on, I'm going to pop in the deeveedees of Around the World in 80 Days and Prince Valiant, both of which I've never seen.  I'm very fond of the score CDs to both movies (by Victor Young and Franz Waxman, respectively), and I'm curious to see how the music and the images "fit".  

I often buy score CDs without seeing the films the music is written for.  Sometimes, it's really the only way to go.  I love, for example, Jerry Goldsmith's score for Poltergeist II and  Supergirl, but the movies themselves are poo.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2004, 09:01:49 AM »

As bad as it is, I do enjoy Supergirl because I like Helen Slater, who looks good in the outfit.   The two Poltergeist sequels are the worst.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2004, 09:18:06 AM »

Dan-in-TO - Do try sending the email again. I think I emailed you a while back and didn't receive a response. - So who knows what's happening in cyberspace between TO and LA?

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2004, 09:18:59 AM »

I will also be watching Miss Marple in MURDER AT THE GALLUP, which is, I think, the only one in the series I have not seen yet.

Panni

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2004, 09:27:11 AM »

Can't remember having favorite fairy tales as a kid. I had beautiful books of fairy tales in Hungary which were left behind. My favorite "story" book was a book of opera stories (many of which were fairy tale-ish -- The Magic Flute, Coppelia, Tales of Hoffmann, etc.). I got that for my 7th birthday and brought it across the border with me. Still have it.
I like the Disney movie of Peter Pan. My favorite ride at Disneyland is the Peter Pan ride. I still get choked up when you fly out the window over London - it's absolutely magical.

Emily

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2004, 09:28:12 AM »

Happy Birthday Robin!!! :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2004, 09:30:07 AM »

DR MBarnum: Don't forget to watch Thursday night! :)

DR Dan: Yeah Sue was at the reunion show.  But she didn't look that different to me (am I crazy?).  To me for them to call it an "extreme make-over" I should notice big differences.  And while she looked good, I totally recognized her!

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2004, 09:33:55 AM »

Oh and DR MBarnum: Do you really think Rupert was the best All Stars player?  He did work hard.  And he didn't manipulate people like Rob did.  But Boston Rob won almost every competition (and seeing how strong Rupert is, you would think Rupert would have won more).  And Boston Rob, managed to orchestrate every vote out.  To me he controlled the entire game and is most deserving to win.

I really hope that they tell us who places 2nd and 3rd.  I am very curious.  Also, since people can vote as many times as they want, who knows what the results will be.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2004, 09:38:11 AM »

Well, I guess it is sort of a toss up for me with Rupert and Rob. I think I just happened to like Rupert better then Rob. But I do agree that Rob, obviously, played a very good game. I do think his not hiding his alliance with Amber was not a good move...although it didn't end up hurting him simply because the others were too "not smart" enough to get rid of him or Amber! That part I will just never understand.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2004, 09:38:47 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROBIN!!
[/size][/color]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2004, 09:58:49 AM »

Happy Birthday, Robin.

Is the NW HHW get together still at my house?  :)  (We do have 2/3 of an acre, so there's plenty of room in the backyard for camping out).

Interesting CASTRECL message about the label that will not be named.

And for those eBay junkies who may care to take a peek, it looks like a certain underappreciated off-Broadway composer shared a certain obsession with JR and me--there's a very interesting piece of memorabilia online now that I predict will go for over $1,000.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 10:00:19 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

William E. Lurie

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2004, 10:04:08 AM »

When will this maddness stop? A new "reality" show starts next week to find the worst singer, only the singers don't know they are looking for the worst and to keep the audience from laughing they were told that the contestants were clients of the Make-A-Wish foundation.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2004, 10:06:25 AM »

DR Panni, I resent the e-mail. (Make that: I re-sent the e-mail.)

JMK - any clues about the eBay item?

The TV repairman is here. Actually, the TV was fixed and I wrote him a check half an hour ago. But he's been watching something ever since. I don't know if he's hooked on the program, or checking to make sure the SONY's in good working order. I suspect the former. I really would like to go out soon, but I can't kick the guy out. (I just peeked in. He's laughing at whatever it is he's watching.)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2004, 10:08:54 AM »

JMK - any clues about the eBay item?

Ummmm....."happiness is a warm Frances Farmer autograph"?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2004, 10:10:23 AM »

Growing up, what were your favorite fairy tales – book, and also film and TV versions? Which ones made you laugh, which scared you, which moved you?

For some reason, the story of Hansel and Gretle held a fascination for me when I was a child.  I had several different books of the story and each one interested me in its own way.  One in particular I liked was set in modern day, with Hansel and Gretle looking very much like Dick and Jane.  And the witch was not scary or horrible looking but dressed sort of dowdy with a slight frown on her otherwise attractive face.  I remember reading that one and thinking, "Wow--this kind of stuff still happens" and making the conscious decision to never enter a stranger's house without someone from my family.  Children will listen (or in this case, read.)

Mary Martin's Peter Pan played a big part in our house, too.  Its effect would last a few weeks, with me and my sister playing out the part where we learn how to fly by jumping on all the furniture in the house.  My dad's flashlight made a pretty good Tinkerbell, too.

Movie-wise, my parents carted my sisters and me to all the Disney animated movies, but I didn't take much to them then because I thought they were mostly stories for girls.  Consequently, I did like Peter Pan.  But I absolutely loved Pinocchio.  This was the one movie that I was able to make my parents take me to twice.  It appealed to me on so many levels.  Aside from the wonderful character designs, lush animation and catchy songs, it seemed to me that Pinocchio had an ideal philosophy--that one should try to be good and do good, but one also has the freedom to knowingly make wrong choices and be bad, which wasn't a bad thing to do every once in a while as long as one atones for it afterwards.  For me, this was just the kind of confirmation I needed for my own ideas of personal behavior which were starting to widely diverge from the goody-two-shoes lessons I had to endure at my Catholic grammar school.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 10:48:02 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2004, 10:19:28 AM »

Repairman update. Archie has joined him. They're both watching a Charmin commercial.

Panni

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2004, 10:33:32 AM »

Dan, I have no email from you. Are you sending to the right address?

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2004, 10:43:19 AM »

Panni, I just saw that your friend Doris Dowling's movie ALINA is being released on DVD this August.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2004, 10:50:36 AM »

DR Panni

The address I have is the same as the one that appears with your name in the members' list. I'm not trying to send you anything important, but perhaps you can try sending me something - and I'll reply.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2004, 10:52:07 AM »

Such e-mail intrigues here at HHW.  I like any fairy tales where the villains get their comeuppance.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2004, 10:54:13 AM »

My computer is so weird sometimes.  I'm typing away and then it disappears - I'm obviously pushing two buttons at once accidentally, but I can't figure out which - I'm nowhere near the delete or backspace buttons so I'm at a loss.

Welcome ten GUESTS.  Finding what you're looking for?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 10:55:42 AM by bk »

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2004, 10:58:10 AM »

Do the Raggedy Ann and Andy stories count as fairy tales? I loved those as a kid (very positive and uplifting stories) and I have picked up several of the books(which are reproductions of the original books from the early 1910s...beautiful illustrations) for my grandneice...along with her own Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls. Will give them to her in another year or so when she is old enough to enjoy them more (she is only 2 now).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2004, 10:58:51 AM »

The raccoons have been stealing der Brucer's bird feeder apparatuses...apparatti?  Whatever, they's busted.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2004, 11:00:30 AM »

JMK, sent you a PM.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2004, 11:01:45 AM »

The Wizard of Oz books certainly count as American fairy tales.  I can clearly remember my mother holding my sister and myself in her lap (or, really, one on each side) while reading the books to us.  And the color of the page changed as the book progressed from one part of Oz to the next.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up